18 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Wanted to know is EMD (Exact Match Domain) dead now ? I read somewhere that now a days no one is going for EMDs except newbies, is it true ? If yes then what is the reason for that ?

Pls guide
#dead #emd
  • Profile picture of the author Hearn
    I haven't personally registered any EMD's lately to test this but what I see noobs doing is registering domains either with their company name that no one heard about or other names that are interesting but very hard to remember and not related at all with the niche. So until it hurts the rankings I would go for a domain name as close to EMD as possible.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10643943].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imranfuuast
    Not yet, i`v seen many domains doing black hat seo but still ranked on very competitive websites.
    One example: search best vpn usa at google and you got top spammers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10644060].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by imranfuuast View Post

      Not yet, i`v seen many domains doing black hat seo but still ranked on very competitive websites.
      One example: search best vpn usa at google and you got top spammers
      That is a pretty bad example. BestVPN.com is a great site and has been absolutely dominating that market for several years.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10644179].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    Why would it be dead?

    It used to be that it gave you an advantage that countered to a large degree the crappy SEO you did. So, people who, based on their general SEO efforts and skill should have been on page 4, showed on page 1.

    Now, that does not happen. But it still helps, you just need to know more SEO to be #1.

    Originally Posted by ddesigns View Post

    Wanted to know is EMD (Exact Match Domain) dead now ? I read somewhere that now a days no one is going for EMDs except newbies, is it true ? If yes then what is the reason for that ?

    Pls guide
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10644126].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author options
    I find them to do well on bing and yahoo. A lot of people under estimate these search engines. Still get quality traffic.
    Signature

    How I rank my websites using this fantastic SEO Service

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10644221].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TomWest
    I think that you should't be scared of the EMD they still work. Just be safe about it if you're website is "crazydogs.com" and the only backlinks you're receiving are "crazy dogs" of course you are going to get penalized! They are still out there and they are still doing well!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10645403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spazz896
    Yes, they still work, but the boost is minimal. I personally would focus on building a brand for long term..
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10645920].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bookmarking
    EMD Sites don't just rank from nowhere. You have to do some SEO for them same like you do for every other site.
    Signature

    35% COUPON AVAILABLE - AFFORDABLE GENUINE SEO COMANY! Just Ask Me how to get the coupon!?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10646355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    EMD's are still killing it in local SEO... no debate about that. Still pretty strong in organic too, but the obvious strength is in local.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10647095].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sparkster
      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      EMD's are still killing it in local SEO... no debate about that. Still pretty strong in organic too, but the obvious strength is in local.
      So choosing a domain like www.greenville-plumber.com would be better than using the company name in the domain since people will search for "greenville plumber"?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10664775].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MattXL
    According to Matt Cutts (Google's Head of Webspam), it is now:

    Exact Match Domain Penalty Added to Google Algo : EMD Penalty
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10649946].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      Originally Posted by MattXL View Post

      According to Matt Cutts (Google's Head of Webspam), it is now:
      Although Cutts has not worked for google in ages....

      EMDs like blue-shower-curtain-reviews never worked.

      People mistake idiotic EMDs for, well, EMDs.

      There's nothing wrong with an EMD, unless it's
      of the loony bin kind.

      If you were actually reading about EMDs, seo-wise,
      then you were reading stuff that was written ages ago.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10650089].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author irawr
        Banned
        Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

        EMDs like blue-shower-curtain-reviews never worked.

        People mistake idiotic EMDs for, well, EMDs.

        There's nothing wrong with an EMD, unless it's
        of the loony bin kind.

        If you were actually reading about EMDs, seo-wise,
        then you were reading stuff that was written ages ago.

        Paul
        Dude don't out my site like that on here man.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10650328].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author graeme_pc
      Originally Posted by MattXL View Post

      According to Matt Cutts (Google's Head of Webspam), it is now:

      Exact Match Domain Penalty Added to Google Algo : EMD Penalty
      I once heard someone say that asking Matt Cutts for advice about getting your website ranked in Google is like asking a sixteen-year-old girl's father how to get into her pants. He had a point...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10707819].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ddesigns
    I have seen many sites that rank on google 1/2 page for some really long product review name, so i think it looks like google still loves EMDs with good contains..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10650844].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ddesigns
    I see many people are making small sites with EMD with just 5-10 articles and they site tend to rank high on google, so i think it shows that google has no problems with EMDs...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10659777].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jemkrem
    how much is a resonable amount of money to be used on SEO nowdays ?

    the minimum for medium difficulty keywords?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10665071].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      Yes.

      Originally Posted by Sparkster View Post

      So choosing a domain like www.greenville-plumber.com would be better than using the company name in the domain since people will search for "greenville plumber"?
      If you pay me my very reasonable fee of $500 per hour, I will tell you.

      Reasonable is a relative term; the question is useless.

      If spending $100 gets you $125, how many hundreds is reasonable to spend?
      If spending $100 gets you $13.72, how many hundreds is reasonable to spend?


      Originally Posted by jemkrem View Post

      how much is a resonable amount of money to be used on SEO nowdays ?

      the minimum for medium difficulty keywords?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10707833].message }}

Trending Topics