Moving one domain to a sub domain, and rebuilding the main domain.

7 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi all, would like to have your views on what would be the best things to do here.
Sorry if I'm being all over the place, it's kind of hard to explain but I will answer any questions you might have to help me!

Here's the case:
We have one website, e-commerce on www.companyshop.com
And then there's the main website, for the company (not a shop) at http://www.companyexample.com

We have now rebuilt the entire e-commerce with a new commerce platform and we're gonna put it on
shop.company.com.

The website on http://www.companyexample.com has also been rebuilt with WordPress.

So, http://www.companyshop.com will become shop.companyexample.com and http://www.companyexample.com will still be in place, but with a new CMS.

What I now I need to do:
  • Redirect every page and product URL from www.companyshop.com/* to shop.companyexample.com
  • Redirect every old page from the old http://www.companyexample.com to the new http://www.companyexample.com (including all content and such).
  • (with 301s).
  • I should check through all links pointing to the old e-commerce domain and kindly ask the largest ones to redirect to the new one. We also need to go through social media pages, adwords and all of course.
  • We should put a message on www.companyshop.com a week or so before redirecting saying that the site will move.
  • Should we keep the old site (www.companyshop.com) for a while? Maybe with noindex or canonical tags?
  • Create new xml-sitemaps and go through everything in webmaster tools/search console.
Which website will Google index most? Which website do we want Google to index the most?
Should we put a 301 or noindex on the startpage of shop.company.com since the main start page will be on http://www.companyexample.com which is integrated with the shop sub domain?

What more am I not thinking of? I would appreciate all help I can get since these are large websites (about 500 thousand visitors/month) and they both have good Google rankings.

Thanks in advance!
#domain #indexing #main #moving #rebuilding #seo
  • Profile picture of the author lordspace
    Sounds like a good task list.
    There's lots of plugins that will help you with the redirect.
    Do make sure that you log the page not found errors which could be caused by links pointing to an old page.
    You will also make sure you buy a new SSL certificate when you're switching the store to a subdomain.
    The links within the content will also have to be replaced with the new ones.
    Signature

    Are you using WordPress? Have you tried qSandbox yet?

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10705299].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mrcrowley
      Originally Posted by lordspace View Post

      Sounds like a good task list.
      There's lots of plugins that will help you with the redirect.
      Do make sure that you log the page not found errors which could be caused by links pointing to an old page.
      You will also make sure you buy a new SSL certificate when you're switching the store to a subdomain.
      The links within the content will also have to be replaced with the new ones.
      Thanks. Yes, all of those steps are important and an "of course" for me.

      I want to know more in depth, as in what have I missed? How do we keep most of the juice we already have and how should we do with the index page of shop.companyexample.com and www.companyexample.com?

      What should we premiere? The commerce, or the main page with all the content?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10705322].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author richardZ
    Originally Posted by mrcrowley View Post

    [*]Should we keep the old site (www.companyshop.com) for a while? Maybe with noindex or canonical tags?
    If you have worked on that old domain as well as people know your business by that old domain name then yes you have to keep that domain name with you. Because it will help you to redirect your visitors/users of old website to new one. As well as you don't need too much efforts to make your business popular.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10705989].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mrcrowley
      Originally Posted by richardZ View Post

      If you have worked on that old domain as well as people know your business by that old domain name then yes you have to keep that domain name with you. Because it will help you to redirect your visitors/users of old website to new one. As well as you don't need too much efforts to make your business popular.
      Right. The question was not to keep the old domain or not.

      But my question is should we redirect everything from the old domain from start - or should we keep the old website (not only domain) alive for a while before redirecting everything?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10706037].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author richardZ
        Originally Posted by mrcrowley View Post

        Right. The question was not to keep the old domain or not.

        But my question is should we redirect everything from the old domain from start - or should we keep the old website (not only domain) alive for a while before redirecting everything?
        I mean to say that yes, you should keep the old website alive before redirecting everything. And if that old website is popular for people then it is good to keep both websites.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10707533].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seodeveloping
    Why not leave it as is and build a new domain instead of risking losing your traffic and rankings when you switch over to a subdomain?
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10706109].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by mrcrowley View Post

    Which website will Google index most?
    That depends on how many entry points (backlinks) each individual page has and how often Googlebot lands on the backlink page/s (look at the backlink page Google Cache date).






    Originally Posted by mrcrowley View Post

    Which website do we want Google to index the most?
    You tell us, which pages are important?






    Originally Posted by mrcrowley View Post

    Should we put a 301 or noindex on the startpage of shop.company.com since the main start page will be on http://www.companyexample.com which is integrated with the shop sub domain?
    I wouldn't do either one (301/noindex) considering all you have to do is use links on the domain.com page pointing to the sub-domain.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10707566].message }}

Trending Topics