Best Practice For Unique Expired Domain 301 Redirect?

9 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Howdy.

I run a site promoting various brands of a certain type of product. As an example, let's say the product I promote is bicycles. Therefore, my site has categories for the various brands and models of bicycles.

One very popular brand of bicycle let their old domain expire after they did a re-brand/re-name, and I was able to purchase the domain. The old domain has a lot of authority and links, and the old brand name still gets a lot of searches. Most of the anchor text is of the old brand name.

I would like to do a 301 redirect of their old domain to my site. What is the best way for me to maximize the juice from their old domain?

Should I:
a) 301 the home of the old domain to my site's home? My concern with this is the anchor text. I don't want my homepage or entire site to lose rankings for the other brands, if google sees my site now has a ton more anchor words of the old brand name.

b) 301 the old domain to the new brand's specific page on my site? My concern with this is I would like to maximize the old site's juice across my entire site, not just this specific brand page. Would having properly inter-linked pages on my site from this brand page to the other brand pages help to spread the juice around?

c) ???

Thanks in advance for any advice.
#301 #domain #expired #practice #redirect #unique
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by showtime07 View Post

    Howdy.

    I run a site promoting various brands of a certain type of product. As an example, let's say the product I promote is bicycles. Therefore, my site has categories for the various brands and models of bicycles.

    One very popular brand of bicycle let their old domain expire after they did a re-brand/re-name, and I was able to purchase the domain. The old domain has a lot of authority and links, and the old brand name still gets a lot of searches. Most of the anchor text is of the old brand name.

    I would like to do a 301 redirect of their old domain to my site. What is the best way for me to maximize the juice from their old domain?

    Should I:
    a) 301 the home of the old domain to my site's home? My concern with this is the anchor text. I don't want my homepage or entire site to lose rankings for the other brands, if google sees my site now has a ton more anchor words of the old brand name.

    b) 301 the old domain to the new brand's specific page on my site? My concern with this is I would like to maximize the old site's juice across my entire site, not just this specific brand page. Would having properly inter-linked pages on my site from this brand page to the other brand pages help to spread the juice around?

    c) ???

    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    You're in a really good position as far as SEO assuming most of the backlinks are followed.

    You can go about this a couple of ways...
    • Redirect all the old domain URLs to one of your webpages, example say you have a very tough keyword you're trying to rank.
    • Redirect batches of URLs from the old domain to category pages or other internal pages that are important (example, SEO silos).

    Really it's up to you which route you pick, just depends on what you want to accomplish. Hammer a tough keyword or spread out the authority.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727850].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author showtime07
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      You're in a really good position as far as SEO assuming most of the backlinks are followed.

      You can go about this a couple of ways...
      • Redirect all the old domain URLs to one of your webpages, example say you have a very tough keyword you're trying to rank.
      • Redirect batches of URLs from the old domain to category pages or other internal pages that are important (example, SEO silos).

      Really it's up to you which route you pick, just depends on what you want to accomplish. Hammer a tough keyword or spread out the authority.
      Yes, most of the links are followed. My goal is to spread the authority over the entire site, to get more authority in my overall niche, rather than focus on one particular keyword. For this particular niche, I think that's my best bet for this site.

      How would one redirect batches of URLs?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727867].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by showtime07 View Post

        Yes, most of the links are followed. My goal is to spread the authority over the entire site, to get more authority in my overall niche, rather than focus on one particular keyword. For this particular niche, I think that's my best bet for this site.

        How would one redirect batches of URLs?

        You'll need to create a .htaccess file and host that on the root directory of your paid host. Next add the code for each indvidual 301 redirect. Once you code the first redirect everything else is copy/paste changing URLs. One redirect per line in the .htaccess file.

        My advice is map out the URLs and where you want them to be redirected in an offline spreadsheet first so you'll be organized.

        Approx. how many URLs are on the old domain that you bought?
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727891].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author showtime07
          Originally Posted by yukon View Post

          You'll need to create a .htaccess file and host that on the root directory of your paid host. Next add the code for each indvidual 301 redirect. Once you code the first redirect everything else is copy/paste changing URLs. One redirect per line in the .htaccess file.

          My advice is map out the URLs and where you want them to be redirected in an offline spreadsheet first so you'll be organized.

          Approx. how many URLs are on the old domain that you bought?
          Only about 10-15 pages indexed in google.

          Thanks.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727899].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author yukon
            Banned
            Originally Posted by showtime07 View Post

            Only about 10-15 pages indexed in google.

            Thanks.

            You need to be looking at the backlink profile, get all the URLs in an offline list then remove duplicate URLs (Scrapbox is good for removing duplicates).


            Was the old domain always only 10 pages or is that just what's leftover on the SERPs today after they dropped the domain?

            Anyways, the backlink profile is what you're mostly after for SEO so that's where you need to be looking, those followed backlink URLs will show you the old domain pages/URLs which in turn are the old URLs that need to be 301 redirected to your own money site.
            Signature
            Hi
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727919].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author showtime07
              Originally Posted by yukon View Post

              You need to be looking at the backlink profile, get all the URLs in an offline list then remove duplicate URLs (Scrapbox is good for removing duplicates).


              Was the old domain always only 10 pages or is that just what's leftover on the SERPs today after they dropped the domain?

              Anyways, the backlink profile is what you're mostly after for SEO so that's where you need to be looking, those followed backlink URLs will show you the old domain pages/URLs which in turn are the old URLs that need to be 301 redirected to your own money site.
              I gotcha now. I'll have to do a little more research to see if it used to have more than 10 or so pages.

              I'll also have to put the backlinks into a spreadsheet, like you said.

              Thanks again.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727931].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author yukon
                Banned
                Originally Posted by showtime07 View Post

                I gotcha now. I'll have to do a little more research to see if it used to have more than 10 or so pages.

                I'll also have to put the backlinks into a spreadsheet, like you said.

                Thanks again.
                You're welcome.

                PM me later If you need help.
                Signature
                Hi
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10727934].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author showtime07
                  Originally Posted by chetanlegend View Post

                  Great topic and conversation. Now the time to see the impact of this activity.
                  @showtime07 please share your comment on success rate of this work, this will helps us to learn a lots.
                  Originally Posted by yukon View Post

                  You're welcome.

                  PM me later If you need help.
                  I checked and each individual page on the expired domain, even those without any backlinks, has a greater page authority than my main competitor's home page. My expired domains authority is more than twice that of the competitor.

                  Let's say that I throw wordpress on the expired domain, and I create new pages for each of my bicycle brands. I then wrote 500-1000 word articles for those pages, then gave them a month or so to be indexed and ranked. Could I then 301 those pages to the corresponding brand pages on my money site, while 301'ing all remaining to the homepage? Would this strategy work, or no?
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10737822].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chetanlegend
    Great topic and conversation. Now the time to see the impact of this activity.
    @showtime07 please share your comment on success rate of this work, this will helps us to learn a lots.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10728103].message }}

Trending Topics