Going through what appears to be the minefield of SEO and thought I would take a break and ask a few questions for some clarification. Background is that I am a photographer with a website (that shows my portfolio only) and I am nowhere to be found in a google search. I don't have a whole lot of competition in my area so in my head I'm thinking I should be able to move up closer to the first page.
- Considering there's little competition in my area, how long does it typically take to make it to page 1? 6 months/1 year? I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question but just want to throw it out there.
- I built my site using format.com as it's convenient for me and my line of work. After reading a few different articles I've decided to keep the 'Keywords (Meta Tags)' field entirely empty, and instead I've just focused on the site title and description. Right move?
- I set up google webmaster tools on the site yesterday. When I log in it says that there's 'No data available'. How long should it take for me to see some data on the console screen?
- My site is bare bones at the moment. No text really, just 50 images. Is it worth my time writing a sentence for each of those 50 images for the alt text field? Do these all have to be entirely unique? A lot of the photos were taken in a studio, so there's only so much I can conjure up!
- Is there a way to find out where I rank right at this moment on a search result (so I can track if what I'm doing is actually working)?
I posted this on reddit the other day but this appears to be a better place to ask, thanks!
That's all for now!