I'm ranking #1 on Google for keywords in a single day on new posts... But my website is a giant knot

9 replies
  • SEO
  • |
ok so I got a free trial of semrush.

I did a site audit and my tags are creating duplicate content (wordpress site)

Should I nofollow my tags? or should I spend hours on end writing a meta for every single tag? (200+?)

I feel the only reason I'm ranking on some keywords is for the tags.. even though ive read that tags don't matter so much anymore

I'm terrified to nofollow anything... i went from 1000 page views last month to 5k this month because ive been overhauling everything with new SEO tactics I've been learning.

What yall think about it? Nofollow? or write meta for 3 days?
#day #giant #google #keywords #knot #posts #ranking #single #website
  • Profile picture of the author expmrb
    Meta descriptions are necessary as it shows the searcher what your page has to actually offer. And as per you query about no-follow, I didn't understand what exactly are you implying.
    Signature
    SEO Motionz Forum & Blog- Digital Marketing Forum & Blog,
    Forum Management & Promotion, SEO Tips, Money Making tips etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11158323].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by expmrb View Post

      Meta descriptions are necessary as it shows the searcher what your page has to actually offer.



      There's a better option.

      Delete the meta description tag from the HTML source code. This forces Google to pull text from the money page that's relevant to the search query and display it as the search listing description.

      There's already a 50/50 chance Google will use text from the content as the search description but removing the meta description pretty much guarantees it will happen and allow you to create multiple search descriptions based on multiple keywords for a single money page.

      Traffic searches for 100s of keyword variations so a canned meta description is missing most of that traffic scanning the search results for extremely relevant search descriptions.

      Example, a single auto insurance page could use the list below as SERP titles and SERP descriptions:




      • SERP title - How do insurance companies assess my risk?
        • SERP description - Most states require you to carry a minimum amount of Liability insurance and also provide proof of insurance to register a vehicle or renew your license. In the case of an accident, the minimum Liability insurance required by the state may not be enough coverage to pay for the damages that result after an accident.




      • SERP title - How much Auto insurance does my state require?
        • SERP description - To ensure everyone on the road is covered in case of an accident, most states require drivers to carry a minimum amount of Liability insurance, or establish financial responsibility in some other way.




      • SERP title - How can I compare Auto insurance quotes?
        • SERP description - Looking for Auto insurance quotes can be confusing. When you get an Auto insurance quote from brandx, we will guide you every step of the way to help you choose the amount of insurance that you determine to best fit your needs.





      Now Google isn't going to use a full paragraph of text for a SERP description which means traffic will have to click your ranked page/link and land on the money page to get the full answer to their search query.

      Keep in mind this is all happening on a single money page.
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11158551].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author strawhat
    People often "noindex" tags to stop duplicate content. Not "nofollow." You nofollow links to sites you don't trust.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11158346].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author strawhat
    And yes, you should write meta descriptions, that's what people see in search, it may make them click on your page instead of other pages in SERPS.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11158347].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spartan14
    I think meta description its useful as it helpes people and search engines identify your site content
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11158393].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Originally Posted by Nathan Quick View Post

    ok so I got a free trial of semrush.

    I did a site audit and my tags are creating duplicate content (wordpress site)

    Should I nofollow my tags? or should I spend hours on end writing a meta for every single tag? (200+?)

    I feel the only reason I'm ranking on some keywords is for the tags.. even though ive read that tags don't matter so much anymore

    I'm terrified to nofollow anything... i went from 1000 page views last month to 5k this month because ive been overhauling everything with new SEO tactics I've been learning.

    What yall think about it? Nofollow? or write meta for 3 days?
    Do not nofollow them. That is a terrible idea.

    If you have any tag pages ranking, you don't want to noindex them either.

    Just make sure you are using canonical tags on your pages, and you should be fine.

    Clearly it sounds like what you are doing is working fairly well for you. Don't go rocking the boat and screwing it all up.

    Also, I wouldn't write meta descriptions at all for any page. I almost never do. I think it is better not to have them. If you don't have them, Google will instead pick content from your page that it feels best matches the searcher's query, and Google is getting pretty good at it. It's the same thing that Wikipedia does. You won't find meta descriptions on their pages, and Wikipedia ranks for damn near everything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11158502].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author expmrb
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      There's a better option.

      Delete the meta description tag from the HTML source code. This forces Google to pull text from the money page that's relevant to the search query and display it as the search listing description.

      There's already a 50/50 chance Google will use text from the content as the search description but removing the meta description pretty much guarantees it will happen and allow you to create multiple search descriptions based on multiple keywords for a single money page.

      Traffic searches for 100s of keyword variations so a canned meta description is missing most of that traffic scanning the search results for extremely relevant search descriptions.

      Example, a single auto insurance page could use the list below as SERP titles and SERP descriptions:




      • SERP title - How do insurance companies assess my risk?
        • SERP description - Most states require you to carry a minimum amount of Liability insurance and also provide proof of insurance to register a vehicle or renew your license. In the case of an accident, the minimum Liability insurance required by the state may not be enough coverage to pay for the damages that result after an accident.




      • SERP title - How much Auto insurance does my state require?
        • SERP description - To ensure everyone on the road is covered in case of an accident, most states require drivers to carry a minimum amount of Liability insurance, or establish financial responsibility in some other way.




      • SERP title - How can I compare Auto insurance quotes?
        • SERP description - Looking for Auto insurance quotes can be confusing. When you get an Auto insurance quote from brandx, we will guide you every step of the way to help you choose the amount of insurance that you determine to best fit your needs.





      Now Google isn't going to use a full paragraph of text for a SERP description which means traffic will have to click your ranked page/link and land on the money page to get the full answer to their search query.

      Keep in mind this is all happening on a single money page.
      Thanks for the input. I will keep this in mind.
      Signature
      SEO Motionz Forum & Blog- Digital Marketing Forum & Blog,
      Forum Management & Promotion, SEO Tips, Money Making tips etc.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11158555].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pehlavoon
    I am not so sure it's the tags. What else have you been doing?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11159552].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nathan Quick
    Thanks all for the suggestions!

    I'm thinking I should just put this site on the shelf

    This site has 45 articles, and only ONE is selling consistently every day (earning 50 cents or so)

    The rest of the articles are too spammy, with too many links to amazon, and too many images.

    I'm almost debating deleting 2/3s of the content as an expiriment

    Here is the article that gets 30 searches a day from Google http://www.allthecoolest.com/cards-against-humanity-expansion-packs/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11160037].message }}

Trending Topics