Directory submissions still worth it?

51 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I started a new project and started off page optimization with "Directory submissions" but most of the latest techniques in 2017 wouldn't suggest Directories a go.

What are the other strategies you prefer after starting a project?
#directory #submissions #worth
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Castor Troy1
    Directory submission is good seo but you can more things, such as:

    ->You can do Bookmarking.
    ->Pdf submission in various high DA and PA website.
    ->Web2.0 is very important, its a lengthy process but works well
    ->Post in different forum site
    ->Review submission in different website and so on.
    These are some very basic methods you can start with it, Hope this might be helpful for you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11276278].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by Castor Troy1 View Post

      Directory submission is good seo but you can more things, such as:

      ->You can do Bookmarking.
      ->Pdf submission in various high DA and PA website.
      ->Web2.0 is very important, its a lengthy process but works well
      ->Post in different forum site
      None of these are good. Sorry but you are stuck in SEO past before Google and Google's penguin made those things of nearly no effect.

      Theres no good ways of getting links now that does not require money, great content or hard work.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11276506].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bradudan
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        None of these are good. Sorry but you are stuck in SEO past before Google and Google's penguin made those things of nearly no effect.

        Theres no good ways of getting links now that does not require money, great content or hard work.
        I have seen here the point of view of Mark Anthony! I have deep respect for this guy who taught me 8 years ago something that has changed my life! I think his answer should be valued the most! It is so nice to see you here, after almost 8 years i was away..
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425401].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
          Originally Posted by bradudan View Post

          I have seen here the point of view of Mark Anthony! I have deep respect for this guy who taught me 8 years ago something that has changed my life! I think his answer should be valued the most! It is so nice to see you here, after almost 8 years i was away..
          Do us a favor man, after you stop kissing Mark's *ss, post something related to thread's topic.



          fastreplies
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425429].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sunpeaks589
    Directory submission is good but make sure make link on that directory site which having less backlink
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11276419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nick1123
    Directory submissions is a colossal waste of time. Furthermore, it could actually hurt your search engine optimization efforts.

    Here's why: thousands upon thousands of people with garbage websites have submitted their website to get a backlink from various directories. It's super easy to do and it's easy to automate and it's easy to pay someone to do it for you. As a result of Google gives no credence to these backlinks. In fact, in the eyes google you may be lumping yourself and with garbage websites if you try to get back links from directories.

    Just don't do it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11276528].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smm station
    I'm pretty much of the same opinion as others here. What you find now are tons of link farms, and simply run the risk of being penalized by Google by using them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11330716].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author affmarketer101
    It's still working (but it is much less effective like it was in the past), especially for local SEO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11330719].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manivel
    It's fine until you do it in worthless sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11331871].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author findassignment
    Directory submissions are worth putting your time into. You could also opt for :
    social bookmarking, article submission, forum posting, etc,
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11331949].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vishwa
    Directory Submissions still work. But free directories are useless as they are full of junk links. Paid directories work great.
    Signature

    Blogging Tips & tricks@ Blogginggate.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332064].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vincent160
    I believe dirctories submission sitll work, search " directoris submission free" on google you will found some webs, some of them will help you to submit your site to some basic directores or search engines for free, but if you find directoris manually I think it wastes you much time. Doing other link buliding works together will be good options in the first start period of off page seo.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332429].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KylieSweet
    In most of the business sites today they do not use directory submission the reason is low and worst no conversions at all as well as in traffic. There are some effective method today that is popular like content marketing try it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332432].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author benthomas642
    Directory Submissions are the primary off-page SEO source. It helps your website to getting indexed by search engines as backlinks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11332595].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lerxtjr
    Links (free and paid) from directories suck and kill your SERPs....unless you're a prominent law firm or in some other industry that invests $10,000 per month on their "paid links" subscriptions like law firms do. Jus' sayin' the rules apply to some but not others. Just depends on what industry you're in and what all the competition is doing in your industry. Hard to figure what the average Joe should do with directories and linking these days.
    Signature

    98% of business owners have no idea what they really want or how to get it either. My new book reveals it all Lions Always Win Book >>

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11334993].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crackhouse
    Directory submissions have been worthless since 2010. You have to ask yourself, are these links easy for a complete beginner to get? If they are, then they have little to no SEO value.
    Signature
    I sell backlinks on some of the most lucrative editorial websites in the world.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11389202].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
      Originally Posted by Murali P View Post

      I started a new project and started off page optimization with "Directory submissions" but most of the latest techniques in 2017 wouldn't suggest Directories a go.
      There is never been or will be any techniques related to directories simply because
      nobody ever presented any scientific works which would give us definite answer.

      Yes, you will found posts claiming that something is working or not but none of them
      made by people who had no ideas about what they are talking about but repeating
      what some incompetent dickhead pull out from his a**.

      Just read some post and you'll see what I mean.

      Originally Posted by sunpeaks589 View Post

      Directory submission is good but make sure make link on that directory site which having less backlink
      Can you translate this in plain English?

      Originally Posted by nick1123 View Post

      Directory submissions is a colossal waste of time. Furthermore, it could actually hurt your search engine optimization efforts.
      Prove it.
      Show me any evidence based on studies and not just empty blabbering based on brainstorming

      Originally Posted by affmarketer101 View Post

      It's still working (but it is much less effective like it was in the past), especially for local SEO.
      Of course, "local SEO"
      And how it's different from general SEO?
      Feel free to share with us what would be the difference

      Originally Posted by KylieSweet View Post

      In most of the business sites today they do not use directory submission the reason is low and worst no conversions at all as well as in traffic.
      So, "the business sites" reported to you that they are not using directories. Right?
      How about if I tell you that you have no freaking idea what you're talking about.
      How could you because you have to operate directory to know what is happening
      in that industry and you don't?

      How do I know you don't? Well, you wouldn't made that meaningless statement because
      you would know that businesses are the one who are using directories because they know
      simple fact, they are getting more traffic from directories than from G. simply because
      Google has them on page 1,000 and directory on page #1

      Originally Posted by lerxtjr View Post

      Links (free and paid) from directories suck and kill your SERPs..
      Proof please.

      Originally Posted by crackhouse View Post

      Directory submissions have been worthless since 2010.
      See above

      Originally Posted by crackhouse View Post

      You have to ask yourself, are these links easy for a complete beginner to get? If they are, then they have little to no SEO value.
      Why don't you make your point why and not just vomit all over baseless opinion?

      Is any of you brain surgeons? If you have no idea how to perform brain surgery, you
      wouldn't claim, you are expert and yet you have no problems to claim you know
      more than people who are operating directories for years and years now. Really?

      It would be nice if people start distinguish between facts and fictions, learn what
      happened, when and why and then based on facts start sharing their wisdom.



      fastreplies
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11424872].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author OptedIn
        Originally Posted by fastreplies View Post

        Yes, you will found posts claiming that something is working or not but none of them made by people who had no ideas about what they are talking about but repeating what some incompetent dickhead pull out from his a**.
        Can you translate this in plain English?
        Signature

        "He not busy being born, is busy dying." - Bob Dylan • "I vibe with the light-dark point. Heavy." - Words that Bob Dylan wishes he had written.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425160].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lauren Proctor
    I still do this when I'm starting a site but it's a far cry from the most important part of my SEO mix. As KylieSweet said, it doesn't really drive traffic or conversions for me.

    Instead, it's more of a maintenance thing I do in case it helps a little. In other words, a task I would outsource to someone who could benefit from a low paying job but not necessarily focus on doing myself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11424967].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
    This all comes down to a simple concept - if you can place a link, yourself, on somebody else's website without their consent, it is a worthless link. If there is some sort of editorial review process, they may be alright - especially if it is on a well-known, respected directory. If it is a paid link, you might be in hot water, too.

    A link on a highly specialized directory that is relevant to your niche that is actually used by people is a good link because, if nothing else, it drives targeted traffic to your site.

    I think the one concept everyone needs to keep in mind is this ... If there was no such thing as SEO, would you take the time to get the link because of the traffic you would get from the site? If not, it's probably not a good link.

    Bottom Line: There are far better ways of getting links that work than wasting time applying for one through a bunch of never used, no-name directories. Of course, that is with the caveat that you actually need to produce something that real people will WANT TO link to. Check out Brian Dean's Backlinko Blog for legitimate ways of getting links.
    Signature
    StoreCoach.com - Learn How to Create Your Own Products & Brand - Buy & Sell Websites
    My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox Business News, the NY Times & Flippa
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11424999].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author buzzinteractive
    directory submission still works but not as before rather than work on web 2.0's . web 2.0 can give quick results. but its an grey strategy
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425141].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Not really. Create helpful content. Build connections. Position yourself more favorably in search engines.
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph inspires you to be a successful blogger with his courses, 100 plus eBooks, audio books and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
    I wish you people made your minds.
    On one hand you are craving for backlinks and yet the only place you can get them
    with almost no effort all the sadden is not good enough for you, even thou no one can
    provide any reasonable explanation why link from blog is any better than from directory.

    One thing is for sure, you are not welcome to dump, just like that, your link in 90% of blogs
    and 10% of others even worse than some directories. So, why don't we start talk about blogs.

    Granted there are hundreds of useless, dead on arrival directories you should stay away
    even if you are one of those "SEO Pros" who are claiming that: link is a link is a link.

    The fact that you're stumbling on mostly bad directories is because there is not too many
    good directories, the one that care about what they has been indexing and the reason for
    that lack of professionally maintained directories lists.

    For 15 years now we are offering list of top 50 web directories which we know not just
    sticking around for the last 10 - 20 years but offering highest level of commendable quality
    and I'm sure you'll change your mind about web directories if you start using good one..



    fastreplies
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425166].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jamie Cordon
      Its funny how you are trying to engage a debate with some of the people who replied to this thread. Directories are not bad, but I wouldn't spend a few bucks to put a link too one of the websites in your list.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425521].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
        Originally Posted by Jamie Cordon View Post

        Its funny how you are trying to engage a debate with some of the people who replied to this thread.
        It's not funny when people are claiming they know what is what whereas in reality
        they have no definite answer to even basic questions. Just to say something about
        subject by repeating other people misinformed here-says doesn't make them in
        any way knowledgeable about anything at least they know the answer 'why?'.

        Originally Posted by Jamie Cordon View Post

        Directories are not bad, but I wouldn't spend a few bucks to put a link too one of the websites in your list.
        You see, you done it again.
        Why don't you tell others why not?

        I don't have problems to tell you why you're wrong.
        To start there is 50 directories on that least, none of them penalized and because
        they are around for years and years, you don't have to worry you're paying money
        to dead on arrival directory but the best part, you are getting chance to get 50 links
        you're so much craving. Am I wrong?



        fastreplies
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425874].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ClaudiaBrunson
    Hello,
    I think Directory Submission is still working, But make sure that you are created the link is live or dead.
    You can also create some other backlink, Like Social Bookmarking, Article Submission, Image Submission, Video Submission etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425256].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Suresh K
    Originally Posted by Murali P View Post

    I started a new project and started off page optimization with "Directory submissions" but most of the latest techniques in 2017 wouldn't suggest Directories a go.

    What are the other strategies you prefer after starting a project?
    Offlate, directory submission is not that effective. Remember today audience & Google both love content. No one goes to these directories for finding information. Technology has gone far ahead. We need to look at quality & original content. Try doing guest posts and getting backlinks from high DA blogs, article posting sites, create web 2.0s etc.
    Signature
    Digital Marketing Expert Trainer - SKARTEC
    https://skartecedu.in
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425313].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
      Originally Posted by Suresh K View Post

      Offlate, directory submission is not that effective.
      Says who?

      Originally Posted by Suresh K View Post

      Remember today audience & Google both love content.
      Today???
      Where have you been for the last 20 years?
      Let me guess... learn how to spell "expert"?

      Originally Posted by Suresh K View Post

      No one goes to these directories for finding information.
      No one you know in your parents basement, makes you the only one

      Originally Posted by Suresh K View Post

      Technology has gone far ahead.
      and left you way behind

      Originally Posted by Suresh K View Post

      We need to look at quality & original content.
      Are you claiming that as an "expert" or just repeating someone else thoughts?

      Originally Posted by Suresh K View Post

      Try doing guest posts and getting backlinks from high DA blogs, article posting sites, create web 2.0s etc.
      If this is your expert advice, the one that you're following yourself,
      then show us your work in top 20 in G. Can you?



      fastreplies
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425376].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jamie Cordon
    There's no real proof that directories are worth it or not. I still build backlinks in local business directories for some of my clients. Especially in the United States, there are a lot of high quality business directories.

    There is a difference between link directories and business directories. I think anyone who has been doing SEO for a while could see if a directory is just meant to dump do follow links. Some of these websites would charge you a few dollars for "unlimited listings" or "instant approvals".

    I think if you'll put your websites in a directory, check the quality. Use tools like Ahrefs and Cognitive and check if their backlinks. Using high quality local business directories to get a few backlinks is good but using it as your main source of backlinks is not adviceable.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425517].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Elena Gibert
    Business Directory is best for the new project and it gets backlinks to the website. While starting the new project we have check Domain and Page Authority from MOZ.
    You can start article submission, social bookmarking, guesting posting, Forum Posting, Blog Commenting, and Profiling.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425808].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jamie Cordon
      This is true. The strategies that you mentioned used to get quick backlinks are the best ways to jump start your new link building projects. Nice mention of those.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11426133].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pammy mandal
    No, You have to submit Directory submissions at the first stage of your website backlinking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11427241].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dhararamani
    Yes, its a totally worth in SEO to generate more links for website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11432010].message }}
  • Directory submission is best way to get the backlinks for website...
    But it takes much time to make a backlinks . You can use social bookmarking and classfied instead of this
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11432873].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Koushtubh
    Directory submission is old seo technique now. You can use following seo techniques
    1. guest posting
    2. forum commenting
    3. social media sharing
    4. social bookmarking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11432893].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author arobianjel
    Directory submission plays an important role for a web site. Backlinks are manufactured for off-page SEO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11433043].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author charlesgalofre
    Banned
    i would still do directory submission because it just means you have a business website.
    Signature
    8 Google Certifications Completed/Done For You
    100% PASS RATE. $125 for ALL or Money Back Guarantee. message me for details.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11436778].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author digi0web
    Of course, directories are not helpful to get links! I will say link those websites that are coming in Google SERP for your targeted or similar keywords.......
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11436783].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11436832].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author digi0web
        fastreplies,

        Shut up your mouth. I see you aggressively promote yourself with your arrogant attitude in this forum.

        Can you please tell why day-by-day the number of directories are decreasing? It is because they are not helpful to most of the users...

        Except for local directories and niche directories with good authority, no directories are helpful.

        Show me any website that is ranking in Google because of only directories link.

        You are positively promoting yourself, because you are the owner of a directory(s)....

        Also, please know that you are alive here because you keep this forum active, but on the other end, you are destroying reputation of this forum...

        Even I agree with you on the directories are helpful from your point of view...... but noone will agree with your attitude here..... and the attitude is very important part of human being....
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11437076].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
          Originally Posted by digi0web View Post

          Shut up your mouth. I see you aggressively promote yourself with your arrogant attitude in this forum.
          Well, you don't have to make a sound to show how useless you are
          You think making stupid posts like one you made will make you smart?

          Originally Posted by digi0web View Post

          Can you please tell why day-by-day the number of directories are decreasing?
          Yes, because freaking clowns who still gorging on their own poop believe they know
          more than people who had been around years before your father jerked you off.

          Originally Posted by digi0web View Post

          It is because they are not helpful to most of the users...
          Only for those who can't come up with their own ideas, thoughts and capable repeat
          only what some moron like himself just vomited in his post

          Originally Posted by digi0web View Post

          Except for local directories and niche directories with good authority, no directories are helpful.
          Read above

          Originally Posted by digi0web View Post

          Show me any website that is ranking in Google because of only directories link.
          What are you stupid?
          No one, surely not me ever claimed that.
          Directories are a package deal but unique because they are the only place that
          would give people backlinks no questions ask.
          But you need to have brain to grasp directories concept.

          Originally Posted by digi0web View Post

          You are positively promoting yourself, because you are the owner of a directory(s)....
          Wrong, I wish I own it.

          Originally Posted by digi0web View Post

          Also, please know that you are alive here because you keep this forum active, but on the other end, you are destroying reputation of this forum...
          Wrong again.
          Incompetent peoples who are capable to post only stuff some idiot have posted before
          make this forum reputation bad, condition forum's management have no choice but to accept
          because without these parroting each other useful idiots this forum will cease to exist.

          Originally Posted by digi0web View Post

          Even I agree with you on the directories are helpful from your point of view...
          Really? You agree? My point of view?
          Well, at least I have one compare to your, so far, useless existence in this forum.



          fastreplies
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11437512].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author digi0web
            fastreplies,

            I'm not a kid, I'm your father! Who are you teaching to?

            I know a little about you. You are a human robot of Freelancer.com. And before this forum, you were active on other webmaster forums, I don't want to name those forums. Those forums are shut down now, and redirected to Freelancer.com

            Don't try to quote my replies again, otherwise I will come into my full form?

            God bless you!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11439198].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
              Originally Posted by digi0web View Post

              I'm not a kid, I'm your father! Who are you teaching to?
              I don't think so, I think you're a little kid who are making totally useless posts with
              completely groundless statements just because he can, because he know he can
              painlessly spread any garbage and never justify what he said in his post.

              Father, eh?
              I don't think so because real father would teach what is what providing reasons, theories
              and facts and not just throw "Of course, directories are not helpful to get links!" statement
              any idiot can make if he don't have to provide any proof to backup statement's validity.


              So, instead of making two posts about me, why don't you provide proof to us, that whatever
              you've claimed in your useless post is for real and you can prove it.

              Originally Posted by digi0web View Post

              Don't try to quote my replies again, otherwise I will come into my full form?
              Are you asking me?

              Originally Posted by digi0web View Post

              Don't try to quote my replies again, otherwise I will come into my full form?
              Yep, you must be asking me, but regardless of what you are trying to say...
              be my guest and show me your childish full form



              fastreplies
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11439427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Patriciamillikin
    Yes directory submission is really worth still. But you should be very careful about the directory.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11437032].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Janvi Arora
    There are only a handful directory sites where you can list your website. Don't put much time in building backlinks from directory sites. Make sure you are submitting sites to only High DA and relevant niche directories. It will help your website in getting local exposure.
    Apart from this, you can do guest posting, blog commenting, forums and Q/A participation and Broken links building.
    Signature

    Want to Future-Proof Your Online Business? Make Your Website SEO Friendly. Click here -> https://www.radon-media.com/services...-optimization/

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11437089].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bluviaggiatore
    I prefer to use deal community web sites like

    hotukdeals.com , moderators are problem
    upucuza.com , it is free and they accept affiliate links

    directory sites , there are a lot of them and nobody uses .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11437603].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sufyan47
    Hi,

    Directory submissions used to be a viable search engine optimization strategy a few years back. However, with changes made to search engines and the way they rank web pages, the importance of web directory submissions has diminished to some extent. In a few years more, I'm very certain that it will no longer be considered a good search engine optimization strategy just like free-for-all websites and stuffing keywords which used to provide results in the years before.

    Thanks for this post...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11438705].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sanjaytechst
    Director submission is one of the important role in off-page SEO. Lot of directory page will rank your site and able to get a relevant links to your site. In very short period of time creating link dispersion over search engines.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11439147].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FractionTech
    You can do directory submission but you must consider PA, DA of website and submission must niche category.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11439166].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Markstylor
    Yes Directory submission is valuable for SEO if do them proper way relevant category also first check the PA DA of those website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11439190].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ettienne
    Originally Posted by Murali P View Post

    I started a new project and started off page optimization with "Directory submissions" but most of the latest techniques in 2017 wouldn't suggest Directories a go.

    What are the other strategies you prefer after starting a project?
    Directories, LOCAL directories should ONLY be used if you're a local business. But mass spamming directories is a terrible idea and sooo 2007.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11439317].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics