Is Google's EAT update the end for AM's with YMYL sites?

8 replies
  • SEO
  • |
So from what I can gather, Google implemented their EAT (Expert, Authority, Trust) Algorithm change 1st Aug followed by another 1st Oct, penalising YMYL (Your Money Your Life) sites.
Apparently Livestrong lost 50% and I've read Keto Dash lost 80%

So does this mean that any AM with a YMYL site won't be ranked anymore in the future unless he is either an Expert, Authority or Trustworthy.

How does one get around this problem?

Does it end there? What about anyone with a pet niche site. Will Google say "hey, your not a vet, you can't write articles about pet health, or pet food etc"

Does this signal the beginning of the end for non EAT niche sites
#eat #end #google #sites #update #ymyl
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Ettienne
    Might have to do with "HOW" they got the good rankings in the first place. Do what Google wants, keep posting fresh content and updating old ones. If your posts are captivating enough and you do some proper marketing/promotion for you site on your end, you'll be an "authority" in their eyes soon enough.

    Here's something worth a read: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/...-score/270711/
    Signature
    Need SEO and Backlinks?
    Get a 30-Day FREE Trial
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11449857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lambertson
    I think it's possible to write expert, authority, and trustworthy content not being an actual expert. Providing more factual information and linking to trustworthy sources (having links from such sources is also important) you seem to be more authoritative than you might be irl, that's how the internet works.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11449875].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
    I may be wrong, but I don't think there was any such thing as an E-A-T algorithm update (although I'm sure there are plenty of know-it-alls out there claiming there was "one" called that). E-A-T was something introduced back in 2015 to Google quality raters - the people who manually review websites. Based on the feedback of those quality raters, Google has continued to tweak their algorithm and has rolled out many algorithm updates in the hopes that they can get their "machine" to inch closer to what their quality raters see when they review a site. So, I suppose you could say that E-A-T indirectly affected their algorithm over time as it got better at matching the perceptions of their quality raters, but there was no single E-A-T algorithm update.

    E-A-T affects all website niches differently. If yours is a medical or financial advice website, Expertise, Authority and Trust is going to matter a whole lot more than if your site sells yo-yos. If you are in a "Your Money Or Your Life" (YMYL) niche, I'd suggest getting people who ARE authorities to either write, or be a part of something you write (an interview, perhaps). Short of that, quotes from known authorities would help. Links from known authoritative sites will be important, as well.

    Honestly, you have no business being in that type of niche if you aren't an authority. Who is going to want "Joe Blow" advising them on investments or about medical problems? I know I sure would want the person I was basing those types of decisions on to be an actual expert, and not some dude who read something somewhere and now thinks he knows what he is talking about.
    Signature
    StoreCoach.com- Learn How to Dropship the Right Way - Buy & Sell Websites - Partner with Coach
    My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox News, the NY Times & Flippa
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11449899].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mikeb222
      Originally Posted by dave_hermansen View Post

      I may be wrong, but I don't think there was any such thing as an E-A-T algorithm update (although I'm sure there are plenty of know-it-alls out there claiming there was "one" called that). E-A-T was something introduced back in 2015 to Google quality raters - the people who manually review websites. Based on the feedback of those quality raters, Google has continued to tweak their algorithm and has rolled out many algorithm updates in the hopes that they can get their "machine" to inch closer to what their quality raters see when they review a site. So, I suppose you could say that E-A-T indirectly affected their algorithm over time as it got better at matching the perceptions of their quality raters, but there was no single E-A-T algorithm update.

      E-A-T affects all website niches differently. If yours is a medical or financial advice website, Expertise, Authority and Trust is going to matter a whole lot more than if your site sells yo-yos. If you are in a "Your Money Or Your Life" (YMYL) niche, I'd suggest getting people who ARE authorities to either write, or be a part of something you write (an interview, perhaps). Short of that, quotes from known authorities would help. Links from known authoritative sites will be important, as well.


      Honestly, you have no business being in that type of niche if you aren't an authority. Who is going to want "Joe Blow" advising them on investments or about medical problems? I know I sure would want the person I was basing those types of decisions on to be an actual expert, and not some dude who read something somewhere and now thinks he knows what he is talking about.
      I see what your saying, but let's say Yoga. Do you need to be a Yoga instructor to write great posts about Yoga. Not really?
      Unless your writing a post like "is yoga good for your back"
      Would a Yoga instructor have chiropractor training?
      It just seems to be getting a little silly really.
      What about Dogs?
      Do you now have to be a vet to write a blog about dogs?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11450266].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
        Originally Posted by mikeb222 View Post

        I see what your saying, but let's say Yoga. Do you need to be a Yoga instructor to write great posts about Yoga. Not really?
        Unless your writing a post like "is yoga good for your back"
        Would a Yoga instructor have chiropractor training?
        It just seems to be getting a little silly really.
        What about Dogs?
        Do you now have to be a vet to write a blog about dogs?
        I don't think yoga or dogs would be considered "YMYL", so no, I don't think it would matter in those to cases.
        Signature
        StoreCoach.com- Learn How to Dropship the Right Way - Buy & Sell Websites - Partner with Coach
        My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox News, the NY Times & Flippa
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11450593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marksheppard
    It would not matter in that cases i think!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11450657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jesse Brownstein
    Originally Posted by mikeb222 View Post

    So from what I can gather, Google implemented their EAT (Expert, Authority, Trust) Algorithm change 1st Aug followed by another 1st Oct, penalising YMYL (Your Money Your Life) sites.
    Apparently Livestrong lost 50% and I've read Keto Dash lost 80%

    So does this mean that any AM with a YMYL site won't be ranked anymore in the future unless he is either an Expert, Authority or Trustworthy.

    How does one get around this problem?

    Does it end there? What about anyone with a pet niche site. Will Google say "hey, your not a vet, you can't write articles about pet health, or pet food etc"

    Does this signal the beginning of the end for non EAT niche sites

    Rather than simply focusing on expertise/authority in a given field, more attention should be given to trust/transparency which is becoming an increasingly significant ranking factor.

    Recent findings indicate that Google is now profiling websites, checking against whether a site's intended purpose is consistent with its content, while keeping the consumer's best interest in mind.

    It's true that Google's making significant changes to their "content quality" guidelines and EAT is more important than ever. It's also true that many sites across all industries, not just YMYL, have been affected by these recent updates. Although, the majority of YMYL sites are taking the most impact.

    Sites like BodyBuilding.com and LiveStrong have lost significant search visibility for these reasons.

    I posted about this on Linkedin and will share again here. This in-depth article examines design/content issues that are likely causing major sites to get dinged and suggests the improvements that these sites need to make to improve trust/transparency:

    "
    Have you noticed a significant drop in your site's traffic?

    An interesting case study by Rank Ranger indicates Google's improved ability at profiling websites. Your site's search visibility may be negatively impacted if your site's content is misaligned with its core intent.

    This article showcases several major sites which have lost significant traffic along with examples of how content and design are inconsistent with each site's stated intent.

    Read the full article:
    https://lnkd.in/g-u9p4K
    "
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11467690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mikeb222
    So today I looked at the keyword "sleep quality"
    It has 1k searches per month but all the top positions are sleep.org, sleepfoundation, WebMD etc, etc.
    Now I know Sleep might be considered a YMYL topic but it does now seem that only the most trusted are being allowed top Google positions and I just don't see how any article from a "non expert" will rank for this keyword.

    So, what do you do if you have a YMYL site?
    I happen to be a sleep expert as I have had more experience than any sleep doctor, but I'm pretty sure Google won't believe me.
    So what do I do.

    The same can be said for product reviews, every keyword seems to be held by Amazon or ebay or walmart. How does an affiliate get amongst these big boys?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11473354].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics