Anchor Text

by bigcat1967 11 replies
I've always had different variences of my anchor text - thinking if I don't do that, I may run into trouble other wise.

I read today about a backlinking company that said that they do not vary their anchor text and their advice is not to do it - or it may hurt you.

So which is true? Do I switch up a little on my anchor texts or keep it the same?
#search engine optimization #anchor #text
  • Profile picture of the author Bob Monie
    haha, Id love to see the site your speaking of.

    Google likes natural site and link growth when it comes to ranking web pages.

    There is no way that using the same anchor text appears to be natural link growth to Google. Dont do business with them.

    I bet they state this because the method the use to build the links is spammy as hell and involves mass link dumbs where the anchor text always stays the same.
    Signature
    Will be the next authority article directory. Come take a look around. Submit and Publish your own articles.
    200,000+ Articles, 48,000+ Authors, Articles indexed in Google in under 1 minute
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1323808].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author michael_nguyen
    I have 2 sites both number 1 for the main keyword and all I did was use the same anchor text. Not once did I vary it.

    If you ask me, keep it the same. Google is not that clever to pick up on such a thing. If that were the case then I would spam the hell out my competition with their main keyword "hoping" they would slide but I would be doing them a favour.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1323871].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Zeus66
    It's a myth. Keep using the same anchor text. I have so many examples of doing this in my own business it's not even debatable in my mind any longer. The whole notion of "natural" links is way overblown and is one of those "feel good" theories that doesn't pan out in reality.

    John
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1323905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bigcat1967
    Well spoken - thanks everyone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1323911].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author michael_nguyen
    It's one of them:

    "If I hear someone "reputable" say it, then it must be true" and If I hear lots of people say it then it must be true"

    Abit like "Go for keywords under xxx in quotes"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1324218].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sarah_may
    Originally Posted by bigcat1967 View Post

    I've always had different variences of my anchor text - thinking if I don't do that, I may run into trouble other wise.

    I read today about a backlinking company that said that they do not vary their anchor text and their advice is not to do it - or it may hurt you.

    So which is true? Do I switch up a little on my anchor texts or keep it the same?
    It is good to have variance in anchor text but kae sure to keep you targetd keyword in your anchor text also in this way you will never be penalized for anchor spam.
    Signature

    Please read the sig file rules

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1325068].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mr_cool245
    Anchor text basically is a keyword which Shows your Website! so if you change the anchor text according to the niche of your website for example From From "News Blog" to "Political News" and Political news to Terrorism News it will not harm you but it will give you a + point !
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1325543].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kkchoon
      Originally Posted by bigcat1967 View Post

      I've always had different variences of my anchor text - thinking if I don't do that, I may run into trouble other wise.

      I read today about a backlinking company that said that they do not vary their anchor text and their advice is not to do it - or it may hurt you.

      So which is true? Do I switch up a little on my anchor texts or keep it the same?
      The variance thing is just to avoid triggering Google temporary filter or causing the link to be disregarded by Google, and it only work when you are building High PR site or need thousands of links to rank for a particular keyword.

      For low competition keyword, use the same anchor text always work better.

      Originally Posted by michael_nguyen View Post

      I have 2 sites both number 1 for the main keyword and all I did was use the same anchor text. Not once did I vary it.

      If you ask me, keep it the same. Google is not that clever to pick up on such a thing. If that were the case then I would spam the hell out my competition with their main keyword "hoping" they would slide but I would be doing them a favour.
      If your whole site is using the same anchor text, and you have thousands of links, I am pretty sure your site will get into trouble... However, that don't normally happen because most sites will have certain natural links, that will vary your page / site links.

      Originally Posted by Zeus66 View Post

      It's a myth. Keep using the same anchor text. I have so many examples of doing this in my own business it's not even debatable in my mind any longer. The whole notion of "natural" links is way overblown and is one of those "feel good" theories that doesn't pan out in reality.

      John
      If John said so, this must be true

      When I say variant, I mean 5% or 10%, most keywords should be the same, that will give you maximum investment!

      Originally Posted by sarah_may View Post

      It is good to have variance in anchor text but kae sure to keep you targetd keyword in your anchor text also in this way you will never be penalized for anchor spam.
      Not easy to get penalized because of links...

      Originally Posted by mr_cool245 View Post

      Anchor text basically is a keyword which Shows your Website! so if you change the anchor text according to the niche of your website for example From From "News Blog" to "Political News" and Political news to Terrorism News it will not harm you but it will give you a + point !
      I have no idea what are you talking about...
      Signature

      Powerful Indexer That Makes Your Backlinks Count ==> Nuclear Link Indexer

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1325719].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author js112
        Originally Posted by kkchoon View Post

        The variance thing is just to avoid triggering Google temporary filter or causing the link to be disregarded by Google, and it only work when you are building High PR site or need thousands of links to rank for a particular keyword.

        For low competition keyword, use the same anchor text always work better.



        If your whole site is using the same anchor text, and you have thousands of links, I am pretty sure your site will get into trouble... However, that don't normally happen because most sites will have certain natural links, that will vary your page / site links.



        If John said so, this must be true

        When I say variant, I mean 5% or 10%, most keywords should be the same, that will give you maximum investment!



        Not easy to get penalized because of links...



        I have no idea what are you talking about...
        for the last one, man, you are so cute, haha, thank you
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1325837].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Joshua.E1
          Well it will depend if you want to rank well in Google or other search engines.

          If its Google, then the anchor text needs to vary, so that it looks natural to Google and to a human.

          If its other search engines, you can use the same one over and over again.

          By the way, Google around 80% search users in the world. You can always go against the giant if you want.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1328706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crystalq
    I think time and testing is the only way to tell.

    Check out what your competition is doing, use...
    Backlinks Checker Tool - Backlink Watch to see.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1328893].message }}

Trending Topics