If you had a system detecting all expired domains in realtime, how would you use it?

by emilsb
20 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Say if you'd design a system that detects expired/dropped domains in realtime, the minute they're dropped, how would you use it?

Including those more exotic ccTLD's, where expiry information is not public/available.


Thanks
#detecting #domains #expired #realtime #system
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author shoptechmedia
    Market it to everyone.. there are a lot of people out there who are looking for good domains.. you can get a really specific niche with this and build your empire..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11543076].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11543195].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author emilsb
      Originally Posted by msulcs View Post

      I'd offer backordering services.

      If it's for personal use, then add filters, so that I get notified only about domains with good metrics.
      Backordering is no longer an easy market to get into. Each millisecond counts as so may services are competing for the same high value domains. You need to have your servers "in the same building as the registrar" or the sorts.

      This is why there are large competitors in the BO niche closing doors right now. Also competition for .com is insane right now, although there is still plenty of junk floating around that nobody needs.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11544422].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MARYROSE EZEKWE
    You can flip it .because it will be a very useful product
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11543229].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zaccks
    You need to take advantage of the domains with high authority, buy them and resell, or build blogs since this websites receive a lot of traffic.

    Even though they've expired, they might be expensive than normal domain.

    Also other people are using the content from expired domains, some resell the content and some add on their website. But you need to check with the legality of using such content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11543243].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
    You could also use it for link building. If any of those expired domains had links built to it, Brian Dean's Moving Man technique would work, assuming you could fine expired domains that were relevant to the site you were building links for.
    Signature
    StoreCoach.com- Learn How to Dropship the Right Way - Buy & Sell Websites - Partner with Coach
    My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox News, the NY Times & Flippa
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11543784].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
    1. First your system should alarm you about expired soon domain.
    2. Then you will need system capable to grab and then register them
      before your competition like GoDaddy grab them first.
    3. Then you will need to promote and sell them, other than that, why
      are you trying to do something hundreds of 'before you' people are
      doing that for years.


    fastreplies
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11544161].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Megan Green
    I would introduce demo version and advertise it hard. And then sell it to anyone who desires. It's a very useful tool for SEO and a rather competitive one. So time would be a great benefit here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11544312].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author emilsb
      Originally Posted by Megan Green View Post

      I would introduce demo version and advertise it hard. And then sell it to anyone who desires. It's a very useful tool for SEO and a rather competitive one. So time would be a great benefit here.
      It's an open possibility indeed.

      At this time still considering things. There's no public version, nor there will be one unless we get the product packaging right (if there ever gets to be a public product). There are so many angles to look at it from and we're pretty much completely unsure on how to ever open this to public, if at all.

      The system we have internally, already does this.

      A (likely small) number of domains will probably be registered by us directly, as some users suggested above. Otherwise, 99.9% of domains will remain available for the quickest user to snatch. So it looks this can still be valuable to others. We also monitor uncommon TLD's , this is perhaps a niche we can be good into.

      We considering adding a separate keyword generator platform, related (with free domains checker), with AI to generate the most valuable combinations. This is a marketable tool. We don't have it yet but it's no problem to build

      Then a short, branded domains generator, again with free .com domains available to get right away (our system knows already which are available or not, or can determine that in a fraction of a second). The bulk of the work for this is pretty much done already.

      One of the best ways would be to sell data via an API to other keyword generator sites. This can be our main asset. It is, in fact, a sort of bigdata service where domain availability tools are just one branch of data.

      But for the expired domains data access side, it seems more difficult. Advertising seems the toughest part.

      Been thinking of advertising it here in a paid post. But I don't see this as suitable for a WSO, or I might be wrong - but it doesn't seem to fit this advertising model. I'm looking at how WSO's look and it just doesn't look right there. A normal post would be deleted (maybe there's a paid option for it but I have no idea).

      Anyway, at this time there is nothing to sell as the tool is for now and remains private. And unless we manage to package it correctly and get advertising right (reaching perhaps domainers with significant revenue), there's not much point in opening it to public because the best domains are quite high value and in such low number, that only a small number of users will be able to get any. Side note, due to the explosion of PBN's out there, only a very limited supply of good domains actually still get dropped. The supply is getting even more scarce with each day passing.

      Best place to list it would be in forums and communities for SEO and stuff, but they tend to hate and block ad posts, even if it's a highly useful product.

      Still scratching heads a bit, it's a mixed situation (both things that are clear and things that are very unclear at this stage). The safest bet right now seems, at this stage, to keep the tool private and use the data ourselves. But we'll see.

      All comments and suggestions are considered, thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11544417].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Megan Green
        Anyways, I wish you good luck. It's a good project.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11544581].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author XenG
    I will definitely use it. I don't have to manually check everything off backlink scraping and all. It's going to be a powerful tool, so might as well sell it. Webmasters would definitely buy it. It has a strong market.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11544560].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zeusforge
    It doesn't matter.

    All expiring domains go through a process. Original owner has x amount of days to reclaim. Then they usually go to auction. Very few are ever just 'released'
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11544600].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author emilsb
      Originally Posted by zeusforge View Post

      It doesn't matter.

      All expiring domains go through a process. Original owner has x amount of days to reclaim. Then they usually go to auction. Very few are ever just 'released'
      I must say that you are wrong. I already have a collection of such domains, some quite valuable, and even sold some. Revived a few with decent authority and using them, but still have a long list to use next. Can get several a day.

      On .com's, maybe, but I also have .coms and sold as well.

      And if we talk about ccTLD's then I can confirm what you said is only valid in a few cases. Registered some valuable 3-digit ccTLD's for example. and still plenty expiring to choose from.

      Be careful, your own beliefs might be limiting your choices.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11544632].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author zeusforge
        Here is the life-cycle of a domain name:

        Stage 1: Owner can renew their domain name without any fees. Usually 30 days.

        Stage 2: Owner can renew if they pay fees. The times can vary depending on the registrar.

        Stage 3: Grace period ends. Domain is put on hold status (you, as someone new who wants to buy it, still can't register it).

        Stage 4: Registrar (hostgator, GoDaddy, whoever the original purchaser bought it through) tries to sell the domain name in an option auction to the highest bidder.

        Stage 4b:
        If the domain name is not purchased at auction or renewed by the original owner, a registrar will often list it as a closeout sale, where it can be bought for a cheaper 'buy it now' price, on top of the domain name registration fee. If a name is bought during a closeout sale, the registrar hold period remains applicable, which allows the original owner the opportunity to regain ownership within the thirty days.

        Step 5: Redemption Period:

        After the registrar hold ends, and if the domain name has neither been purchased nor renewed, the domain name is released back to the registry. Upon release, the domain name is put under redemption period status, meaning it cannot be changed or deleted for thirty days. During this time period, the original owner can pay the redemption fee, plus the renewal fee in order to restore the website and the email.

        Step 6: End of registry grace period:

        If this grace period ends without the domain name being renewed, it will then be put under the status of pending delete. If no actions of restoration occur on the part of the original owner, registry or registrar, the domain will eventually be deleted. This deletion will then release that domain name back for general registration.

        Through any of those stages the domains original owner has authority over you to restore their domain name.

        How am I wrong? Because if each of those stages is a minimum of 30 days they have TONS of time to reclaim the domain name if it's truly valuable.

        I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying if it has just 'magically' made it through the gauntlet of the online auction, all stages where the original owner can restore it, and gone back into general registration then you can pretty much make a solid bet that there isn't much value in it. Because if there was significant value in it then it wouldn't make it past the auction without you yourself bidding against other people for it, and most likely in turn paying about what it's worth anyways.

        I've sold domains too, but knowing when one is going to expire doesn't matter. Because you'll just end up bidding against everyone and their brother anyway. Best thing to do is program a scraper to scrape for domains based on various key metrics (back-links, domain authority, page authority, etc) within a specific niche and hope to find a solid one that would be a good starting point for whatever you're wanting to accomplish. Then do your own research on them to make sure they're not associated with tons of spam backlinks (because that can hurt you).

        I don't just spout nonsense. As a digital marketing and web design company, this is what I do with a program I made to find potentially good names that they may be able to use. I make sure to inform them though that it's no silver bullet, and they shouldn't expect to launch their site and all of a sudden on day two they're getting 200 visitors a day. Because that is DEFINITELY not the case.

        Read this:
        https://www.domain.com/blog/2018/11/...-need-to-know/

        Be careful what you think you know, you may just be purchasing garbage that has no value to anyone except you.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11544791].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author emilsb
          Originally Posted by zeusforge View Post

          Here is the life-cycle of a domain name:

          Stage 1: Owner can renew their domain name without any fees. Usually 30 days.
          ...
          Be careful what you think you know, you may just be purchasing garbage that has no value to anyone except you.
          Good presentation of the life-cycle. However you are making perhaps too many assumptions. And your viewpoint is obviously different from ours.

          Originally Posted by zeusforge View Post

          I'm not saying it's impossible.
          This is the key phrase. But you are implying it's close to impossible, a fair assumption otherwise.

          However it is definitely not impossible; because we're already using it and can tell you it 100% works. We don't even need to sell the data as a service. It can be profitable even by using it internally.

          Otherwise you are making a lot of sense, the domain world works as you said; but this is what we do and are good at. I've personally got a lot of domains over just a few days, while this was merely a test. Most have been doing very well SEO-wise, sold some already, can build sites and then flip'em.

          Cuple notes:

          - We aren't talking about a script or scraper or 3 servers, or 10 servers. It's a large distributed system that monitors countless TLDs simultaneously in a mesh/swarm approach. We also have some things based on our own experience and ideas that came over many years, which give us a sharp edge, but I cannot reveal for obvious reasons. I'm only going to mention that you shouldn't worry too much, actually at all, about us not doing well with it. But otherwise, just as an example think about Moz and the sorts. Our system is somewhat in that line of things and designed to reach that kind of scale in the near future. (Not that it is small as of today)

          - There is a ton of experience in our team regarding SEO, sites etc. Actually 20 years of it, thousand sites built, sometimes ranking high-traffic sites. I've also personally been doing SEO even before Google existed, was so much easier back then, ranking on Altavista and the others. This being said, we discover valuable resources that others won't or are unable to - due to experience and technology at hand.

          Originally Posted by zeusforge View Post

          Be careful what you think you know, you may just be purchasing garbage that has no value to anyone except you.
          Fair warning, but the opposite is actually valid in our case. We discover a ton of value and are able to use it, that otherwise slips through the finger of others.

          Otherwise we can register and flip within days about 5-10 domains per day WITHOUT this system. With it, everything goes to a whole new level. And I'm talking just about the low end scenario, flipping expired sites with authority that are not penalized and still valuable. There are other scenarios besides this that yield more cash.

          This looks to me as a paradigm issue.

          Everything you know, and others have said as well, is based on personal experience, which we all rely on. And all the above you have posted IS valid, from the common standpoint, so it is the facto status. So you're not talking nonsense. Yes, these are the odds you have to beat. And most people gave up already because indeed that's how it works and there's no magic formula to beat that.

          My paradigm is different. I can see our tools and work processes beating the odds above, with flying colors - and on a daily basis. But again, it's tech, mixed with investment, and couple decades of strong experience in both distributed systems development AND online marketing experience. Everything you need to have is in this pool already.

          I'm not talking about a fictious thing. That would be pointless, would rather write a fiction novel instead. Was looking for opinions on the real life applications of a tool that we have already, so we can discover the best usage for it. The answer is gradually showing between the lines and I must thank to everyone posting their comments for doing so, it is helpful from both the pros and cons perspectives.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11544895].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author zeusforge
            I'm not going to argue with you.

            Whatever reason that you have to believe a domain name worth $200,000 is going to make it through every one of those life cycles without getting snatched up before ever seeing the open market must just be beyond my intelligence level.

            What is your website? What are some of your domains? I want to understand where this value is coming from. Because the website must be absolutely on point and stunning.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11545045].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author emilsb
              Originally Posted by zeusforge View Post

              I'm not going to argue with you.

              Me neither.

              And I'm not here to prove anything. That's something I never do, and never feel I need to. I prefer instead to contribute to a community as time passes. Still new to WF, I admit.

              I asked for feedback and help, and received, and I am grateful for that. Including your answers that I appreciate nevertheless.

              See, often the ones that oppose you are the ones helping you most. That's what I see in your comments. So you should feel a valued commenter, as you are, not someone that is not understood by a stubborn individual, one that you try to help, but he never learns so it gets frustrating. Which was never my intent. You took your time to write this. It is appreciated.

              There's a difference of size and expectation between our comments. I am talking about more on quantity and much less on price. I'm talking about values in the hundreds, and more value in the usage; such as expired sites with enough link juice remaining. A 200K or even 20K domain is not my target and I have recently passed on an offer from someone who learned about the product and wanted to get in that high-stakes shark pool. There will be lots of high-powered bidders there, ping time close to zero, so the chances are about nil. But again there are many more angles at domaining, not just going straight for the high stakes.

              Regarding website, no I do not have stunning ones, I have crappy ones but useful to me. I follow minimalism, such as Google service often have (example, say webmaster console). Some believe they are crap, or outdated; perhaps they are outdated, and everybody has an opinion and I don't argue. I'm in for the revenue; and they bring that. For this project, there is no website yet. But when it will be launched (there are more potential services and domain is just one) you will likely see it posted here as a WSO or something similar. I have a few other SaaS currently in cold storage.

              Thanks!
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11545072].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
      Originally Posted by zeusforge View Post

      Original owner has x amount of days to reclaim.
      Not if owner cancels domain, but if owner too late to renew in so many days,
      domain will be placed for 60 redemption period days so no one but owner can
      renew it but it comes with heavy $100 penalty price in addition to domain cost.


      fastreplies
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11544770].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zeusforge
    What you would really be hoping for, is to find aged domains that (for some unknown reason) people have completely forgotten about, and were 'released' before all the hosts like Godaddy and whatnot started reclaiming them. and that are single worded domains like 'www.Gold.com', and you can imagine what the odds are of that ever happening are.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11544603].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author emilsb
      Originally Posted by zeusforge View Post

      What you would really be hoping for, is to find aged domains that (for some unknown reason) people have completely forgotten about, and were 'released' before all the hosts like Godaddy and whatnot started reclaiming them. and that are single worded domains like 'www.Gold.com', and you can imagine what the odds are of that ever happening are.
      Good angle, but that is already in the process.

      Changes for gold.com are very small, but you can still get gold.net or gold.biz and they still sell for a tidy sum, enough to make good profit even if you hold on them for years.

      And you might ocassionally get goldminers.com ... or similar, and that will yield some $. However not everybody is looking for the same thing. Many are looking for authority domains, well, that's one side of operations where our tool is at its best.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11544633].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics