How to reduce my website Spam Score?

42 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hello,

I have a blog that it's around 10 months old. I've been working on it's SEO for a few months now.

That been said, i noticed with MOZ tool that the spam score of my website is 22%, when i looked up the backlinks of my domain, i found out that it has many Chinese backlinks who's spam score is really high. (i already uploaded a disavow file)

I'm guessing the previous owner of my domain name did some black hat SEO. Now i have to clean up his mess. So I would like to know if there is a way to level the spam score of my website.

What can i do to fix this problem? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you
#reduce #score #spam #website
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Xavibak
    To reduce your spam score, you first need to identify some toxic links and get rid of them. I suggest you install moz bar addon on your chrome tab. Access each link pointing to your site. At the top of your screen, moz will show you the spam score of each website. The websites increasing your spam score are the ones with high moz spam score.

    You can get rid of these links by either contacting the various webmasters to take down those spammy links.

    Or you build more non spammy links. I suggest you build backlinks on sites with spam score less than 4%. That way your moz spam score will drastically reduce as you build more healthy links.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11593615].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kurosaki4d
      Most of those spammy websites are unreachable, they seem abandoned and deserted.

      These websites are in the form of like blogpost in Chinese. There doesn't seem any mean to reach the owner.

      Would it be possible that blogpost could remove one of their sites if i file a complaint ?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cbpayne
    Just ignore it. The MOZ SPam Score is not used by Google or any other search engine as a ranking metric.


    It's just a MOZ score telling you that links to you have low DA and PA .... ie meaningless.


    You could waste all your time getting rid of those links to lower that Spam Score ... or you could spend that time doing something that actually improves your site in the search rankings.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11593791].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ozstylo
    Just to inform you Google does not consider the things such as spam score as you mentioned above.

    Better to learn -
    • Google Webmaster Guidelines
    • Google SEO Starter Guide
    • Google's guidance on building high quality websites
    • Site not doing well in search
    • Link Schemes
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11593842].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author davidadam24
      True story. I do the same thing. Bust most important is that you don't get any bad backlinks in the first place. So that you later don't have to do all this work with removing bad toxic backlinks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11597609].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Originally Posted by kurosaki4d View Post

    Hello,

    I have a blog that it's around 10 months old. I've been working on it's SEO for a few months now.

    That been said, i noticed with MOZ tool that the spam score of my website is 22%, when i looked up the backlinks of my domain, i found out that it has many Chinese backlinks who's spam score is really high. (i already uploaded a disavow file)

    I'm guessing the previous owner of my domain name did some black hat SEO. Now i have to clean up his mess. So I would like to know if there is a way to level the spam score of my website.

    What can i do to fix this problem? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

    Thank you

    It's just a useless number made up by Moz. Ignore it.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11593965].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author clickmatixptyltd
    Google has not mentioned any such criteria of spam score that affects your site's ranking. So this factor is of least importance.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594057].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kurosaki4d
      Google doesn't mention a lot of things, so it might be one of the ranking factors that it likes to keep to itself.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594795].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tilstandsrapport
    While you wait for the disavow to kick in, you could spend some time building high quality backlinks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594082].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cbpayne
      Originally Posted by tilstandsrapport View Post

      While you wait for the disavow to kick in, you could spend some time building high quality backlinks.
      Care to explain how the disavow improves the SpamScore?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594165].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kurosaki4d
      I already did the disavow. Approximately, how much time does it takes to kick in?

      I have uploaded and updated the disavow file several time. Does that affects the kick in time/delay?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594796].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author cbpayne
        Originally Posted by kurosaki4d View Post

        Google doesn't mention a lot of things, so it might be one of the ranking factors that it likes to keep to itself.
        It doesn't. Google is not going to use a third party metric in ranking sites!
        Originally Posted by kurosaki4d View Post

        I already did the disavow. Approximately, how much time does it takes to kick in?
        It won't kick in!!! Seriously, think about it .... how do you think MOZ actually gets access to the disavow file to change there Spam Score? Did you upload the file to Moz?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594804].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author kurosaki4d
          Lol, no. Rather in Google. So i'm assuming that the spam score will remain the same since Moz doesn't have access to Google's data.

          But what i meant by my question, is how much time until the disavow file starts to kick in with Google not MOZ ?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594819].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author cbpayne
            Originally Posted by kurosaki4d View Post

            But what i meant by my question, is how much time until the disavow file starts to kick in with Google not MOZ ?
            As Google pretty much just ignores crap links, its probably not going to make any difference to your Google ranking.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594850].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smithmary01
    I think you can follow some tips like Create a text version, Use normal text inside hyperlinks, instead of the URL, use a proper from address, subject line, use short Images and alt tag is compulsory, remove HTML errors.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594324].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cbpayne
      Originally Posted by smithmary01 View Post

      I think you can follow some tips like Create a text version, Use normal text inside hyperlinks, instead of the URL, use a proper from address, subject line, use short Images and alt tag is compulsory, remove HTML errors.
      Care to explain what all that has to do with the SpamScore from MOZ?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594466].message }}
  • Keep creating new quality content and generate new backlinks to your website. Focus on the search engine optimization only. That's what gets you your page ranking.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594542].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kurosaki4d
      That's what i'm doing, only focusing on generating quality backlinks. Thank you
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594797].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Medon
    The best option you have at the moment is to get to a Webmaster to clean it up. Otherwise waiting for too long could lead to irreversible damage..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594683].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cbpayne
      Originally Posted by Medon View Post

      The best option you have at the moment is to get to a Webmaster to clean it up. Otherwise waiting for too long could lead to irreversible damage..
      Care to explain what all that has to do with the SpamScore from MOZ?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594735].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DABK
        Man, CB, you expect a lot! Thanks.



        Originally Posted by cbpayne View Post

        Care to explain how the disavow improves the SpamScore?
        Originally Posted by cbpayne View Post

        Care to explain what all that has to do with the SpamScore from MOZ?
        Originally Posted by cbpayne View Post

        Care to explain what all that has to do with the SpamScore from MOZ?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11596322].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kurosaki4d
      What do you mean by irreversible damage?

      The thing is when i bought the domain name, i believe it had this spam score for a very long time, and it's just lately that i have noticed it!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11594792].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Martin smith
    Avoid usage of spam sensitive words and phrases
    Use normal text inside hyperlinks, instead of the URL
    Use a proper from address
    Use a proper subject line
    Avoid HTML errors, unsupported techniques, obscure content, obfuscation
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11596288].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hyperjerkseo
    1. Create good content
    2. build niche related links
    3. get a press release
    4. disavow bad links
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11596295].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kurosaki4d
      Thank you for your response.

      How would you judge a website by being a bad link? What are your judging criterias if i may ask?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11596364].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cbpayne
      Originally Posted by Martin smith View Post

      Avoid usage of spam sensitive words and phrases
      Use normal text inside hyperlinks, instead of the URL
      Use a proper from address
      Use a proper subject line
      Avoid HTML errors, unsupported techniques, obscure content, obfuscation
      Originally Posted by hyperjerkseo View Post

      1. Create good content
      2. build niche related links
      3. get a press release
      4. disavow bad links
      NONE of those have anything to do with the Spam Score!!!!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11596374].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kurosaki4d
        I believe the first comment was about "emailing".
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11596384].message }}
  • Here are some tips to lower your website spam score

    1. You should completely avoid making links for your website which are poor in quality. Some people make many links in one day, it is also very wrong to do this because spam rates also increase in this way.
    2. find low quality and spammy links that are linked to your site and should be disawoved by creating a list of such links.
    3. Use normal text inside hyperlinks, instead of the URL
    4. Avoid HTML errors, unsupported techniques, obscure content, obfuscation.
    5. Write unique and simple content for your website pages.
    6. Create High quality Backlinks

    When you remove such bad backlinks from your website, Moz algorithm will redefine the score by reducing the new spam score according to the quality of the link.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11596784].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by Trignosoft Solution View Post

      Here are some tips to lower your website spam score

      1. You should completely avoid making links for your website which are poor in quality. Some people make many links in one day, it is also very wrong to do this because spam rates also increase in this way.
      2. find low quality and spammy links that are linked to your site and should be disawoved by creating a list of such links.
      3. Use normal text inside hyperlinks, instead of the URL
      4. Avoid HTML errors, unsupported techniques, obscure content, obfuscation.
      5. Write unique and simple content for your website pages.
      6. Create High quality Backlinks

      When you remove such bad backlinks from your website, Moz algorithm will redefine the score by reducing the new spam score according to the quality of the link.

      You clearly have zero idea what you are talking about.

      1. How many links you make in a day has no direct impact on spam score.
      2. Moz cannot see your disavow file.
      3. You can use whatever you want. It doesn't matter. You can use images. You can use videos. You could use bold text, italic text, 120 point text... it doesn't matter.
      4. None of that has to do with spam score.
      5. Unique content has nothing to do with spam or Moz's stupid spam score.
      6. Hey, you got one out of six correct. Nice job.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11596820].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tauseef Shah
    To reduce your website spam score it's very easy just go to moz.com enter your domain and search for backlinks.

    backlinks having spam score more than 20% copy all those links and make a spreadsheet of that.

    After that go to the webmaster search console and click on disavow feature and you have to upload that file there and submit.

    When Google disavow your list your spam score will decrease.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11596834].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cbpayne
      Originally Posted by Tauseef Shah View Post

      When Google disavow your list your spam score will decrease.
      Where do all you clowns get this BS from? Care to explain how MOZ gets access to the Google disavow file?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11596847].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kurosaki4d
      Spam score of moz has nothing to do with Google search console. Please stop advising something that you haven't actually tried.

      What you are saying is misleading !
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11596857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seoexpertinindia
    You can disavow the toxic links from Google Disavow tool. Google will consider it and give a boost to rankings. Also it would be good idea to filter the toxic links and remove them manually by reaching the admins. That is the more better idea suggested by Google.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11597112].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cbpayne
      Originally Posted by seoexpertinindia View Post

      You can disavow the toxic links from Google Disavow tool. Google will consider it and give a boost to rankings. Also it would be good idea to filter the toxic links and remove them manually by reaching the admins. That is the more better idea suggested by Google.
      And what exactly has all that got to do with the Spam Score?

      Pretty dumb from someone who claimed to be a
      SEO Expert India , SEO Expert in Mumbai
      Its actually quite embarrassing for you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11597118].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kurosaki4d
        I've already hired someone to contact the owner of the sites to remove my link, also did disavow the entire domain names of those sites.

        However, if i can't get a hold of the owners, i can maybe get through a domain broker to buy the domains of their sites, then their websites will go down, right? (because the sites seem to me to have been abandoned for a long time).

        What do you think?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11597427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    Since the thread is still going, I will offer a good alternative: OP, Look at spam score Moz gives you and add whatever number makes you happy and declare that to be your spam score. You will be just as right as MOZ is and a lot happier.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11597526].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sunilsharma
    The biggest reason for any website's increase spam score is spammy links. If there are excessive low-quality backlinks or high spam score on a blog or on the the website, then the spam score is also increased on that blog.

    To say it means we should completely avoid making links for our website which are poor in DA/PA and quality. Some people make bulk backlinks in one day, it is very wrong to do this because Spam score increase in this way.

    If we want to reduce the spam score of our blog or website, then we will have to make links on high DA/PA website and create high quality backlinks and spammy links that are linked to your site and should be disawoved by creating a list of such links.

    When you remove such bad backlinks from your blog or website, Moz algorithm will redefine the blog score by reducing the new spam score according to the quality of the link again and again whenever the blog or website scans again. You must have completely removed the low-quality links from your domain.

    It's a free and best tool developed by Moz so you can analysis and check the spam score of your website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11597642].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      Not true.


      Here's a link to the 27 elements they take into account: https://moz.com/help/link-explorer/l...ing/spam-score.


      You will notice that one of them has to do with the length of your domain name, another one with what's in your domain name (numbers and hyphens correlate to them with spam). You will notice that if you don't link to your linkedin account on your site, it counts against you, too. So does not having a favicon or a facebook pixel...


      C'mon, man!


      Why talk before you know?


      Originally Posted by sunilsharma View Post

      The biggest reason for any website's increase spam score is spammy links. If there are excessive low-quality backlinks or high spam score on a blog or on the the website, then the spam score is also increased on that blog.

      To say it means we should completely avoid making links for our website which are poor in DA/PA and quality. Some people make bulk backlinks in one day, it is very wrong to do this because Spam score increase in this way.

      If we want to reduce the spam score of our blog or website, then we will have to make links on high DA/PA website and create high quality backlinks and spammy links that are linked to your site and should be disawoved by creating a list of such links.

      When you remove such bad backlinks from your blog or website, Moz algorithm will redefine the blog score by reducing the new spam score according to the quality of the link again and again whenever the blog or website scans again. You must have completely removed the low-quality links from your domain.

      It's a free and best tool developed by Moz so you can analysis and check the spam score of your website.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11597740].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author levandau
    audit your entire site, eliminate duplicate content errors, remove bad backlinks
    I audit my website once a month.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11597771].message }}
  • Whether or not a tool categorises your links as spam, how do you feel about them? if they lead to a chinese website that has the same topic as yours it's not necessarily spam. If it leads to a dubious website then obviously it is. It's not always Blackhat SEO but it's a concern, so I'd suggest to look through all of them and put those in a list that you consider spam. Then you can upload that list in the google disavow tool. It doesn't mean the links will be deleted but it means they will be ignored by google.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11597821].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cmsminds
    To reduce your spam score, you need to create more authoritative backlinks from high authority websites from your niche. it will reduce the effect of your spammy backlinks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11599693].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      I guess, you guys, don't know what the MOZ spam score measures. I gave you a link in my post above, post #39. You could have learned but you'd rather stay misinformed, it seems. Tsk, tsk, tsk.


      Originally Posted by levandau View Post

      audit your entire site, eliminate duplicate content errors, remove bad backlinks
      I audit my website once a month.
      Originally Posted by cmsminds View Post

      To reduce your spam score, you need to create more authoritative backlinks from high authority websites from your niche. it will reduce the effect of your spammy backlinks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11599719].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics