Google Displaying Article For Wrong Keywords

5 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hello all!

I tried to browse the forums to find an answer to my question but I could not find anything relevant.

I have a fairly new website that's about 3 weeks old.

I posted a 6k word article that google picked up on the day after it was posted, but was displaying it for queries that were completely irrelevant for the overall topic. It is an article with 101 tips. Google showed it 160+ times but it only got 1 click which bounced because google was focusing on individual tips instead of the overarching theme of the tips.

I know it's very early in the life of the site and the article, but this was supposed to be one of the cornerstone pieces of content and it seems that google gave up trying to figure out what the article was about.

When building the article I used h3 headings for each individual tip (101 of them.) I DID NOT include the keyword in the h3 headings because I felt it would be way too redundant and blatant. So my keyword is in my title, 2 H2 headings, and sprinkled throughout the content where it makes sense, but there are 101 h3 headings that do not contain my keyword. i use yoast to help me get the keyword ratio right and i have the green light on my article for my keyword lol

Here is my question: Should i be more patient, or should I rework the article? Google showed it 160 times in a day last week, the week since it has been basically dead in the search results because of the poor performance the first day.

I know I need to focus on continuing to build more content, but should I go back and try and add my keyword more in this specific article? Change the headings? If any of you warriors would like to see what I am talking about I can post the link in the comments.

thanks for your help guys, much appreciated!
#article #displaying #google #keywords #wrong
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    I'm not going to comment on the keyword use - will let an SEO person answer that part.


    Personally, I would not use a 6000 word article. Instead I would write 6-8 articles of 800-1000 words each focused on a group of 'tips/ideas/suggestions' etc.When building the article I used h3 headings for each individual tip (101 of them.) If I were doing 6000 words on something like this - I would call it it a 'guide' or 'ebook' and give it away as a freebie to build a list.


    Leave this article on the site for now. Later you might rewrite the long article and split it into smaller 'bites' or use it as a list builder download. Or it may start to attract more targeted visitors.

    A 3 wk old site and/or a long new article is not going to attract a lot of focused 'google love'. Instead of trying to analyze what Google does - start adding more content - more focused (and shorter) articles - useful info that is tightly targeted to your niche.

    know it's very early in the life of the site and the article, but
    You know it's early - and adding 'but' doesn't change that. Kudos for having a content PLAN for your site - now experiment with new content till you find what 'clicks'.
    Signature
    Due to the current pandemic I will no longer be shaking hands or giving hugs. You may wave, bow to me or give me the finger...your choice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11605392].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    Originally Posted by Nathan Quick View Post

    I posted a 6k word article that google picked up on the day after it was posted, but was displaying it for queries that were completely irrelevant for the overall topic. It is an article with 101 tips. Google showed it 160+ times but it only got 1 click which bounced because google was focusing on individual tips instead of the overarching theme of the tips.
    You don't say what your overall topic is, but I'm trying to think of one that could be split into 101 tips of about 60 words each without either repeating myself or focusing too tightly. If you feel the traffic you've received is irrelevant to your topic, it might be the latter. Perhaps there just isn't enough about your general topic in each tip.

    Kay's idea to split the article into bite-sized chunks could work - it's certainly worth a try. But I'd also review the content and see if I could amalgamate some of those tips into one larger piece. That way you'd be presenting maybe a top 25-30 tips overall. I don't know, it's just that 101 seems a daunting number to me.
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11605396].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Originally Posted by Nathan Quick View Post

    Hello all!

    I tried to browse the forums to find an answer to my question but I could not find anything relevant.

    I have a fairly new website that's about 3 weeks old.

    I posted a 6k word article that google picked up on the day after it was posted, but was displaying it for queries that were completely irrelevant for the overall topic. It is an article with 101 tips. Google showed it 160+ times but it only got 1 click which bounced because google was focusing on individual tips instead of the overarching theme of the tips.

    I know it's very early in the life of the site and the article, but this was supposed to be one of the cornerstone pieces of content and it seems that google gave up trying to figure out what the article was about.

    When building the article I used h3 headings for each individual tip (101 of them.) I DID NOT include the keyword in the h3 headings because I felt it would be way too redundant and blatant. So my keyword is in my title, 2 H2 headings, and sprinkled throughout the content where it makes sense, but there are 101 h3 headings that do not contain my keyword. i use yoast to help me get the keyword ratio right and i have the green light on my article for my keyword lol

    Here is my question: Should i be more patient, or should I rework the article? Google showed it 160 times in a day last week, the week since it has been basically dead in the search results because of the poor performance the first day.

    I know I need to focus on continuing to build more content, but should I go back and try and add my keyword more in this specific article? Change the headings? If any of you warriors would like to see what I am talking about I can post the link in the comments.

    thanks for your help guys, much appreciated!

    Why wouldn't the page rank for individual tips too? Google will rank a page for any content it thinks is relevant. I'm guessing your main keyword is much more competitive than the individual tips are. You probably won't rank for the main keyword just by publishing an article. You need to market it and get links pointing to it.

    Links are the #1 ranking factor. Without them, you will never rank for anything competitive.

    Also, it's only been a few weeks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11605407].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
      Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

      Why wouldn't the page rank for individual tips too? Google will rank a page for any content it thinks is relevant. I'm guessing your main keyword is much more competitive than the individual tips are. You probably won't rank for the main keyword just by publishing an article. You need to market it and get links pointing to it.

      Links are the #1 ranking factor. Without them, you will never rank for anything competitive.

      Also, it's only been a few weeks.

      Golden Nugget!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11605796].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ashutoshDGTL
    Maybe your main keyword is getting more competition than your article. so can work for generating backlinks or start marketing your work.
    i also provide search engine optimisation services,you can read all the details about my Seo package here DGTLmart Seo Packages
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11606085].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author david@seoextent
    Keep the article if you think it has value and as long as it's the best one. Google keeps throwing pages and inviting them back after a certain amount of time. For now, yes, you can rework on the article!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11606103].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics