Follow or No to Amazon?

by JP1000
13 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi,

I am an author of eBooks, and have a site where my only external links (via boolkinker 'mybook.to/xxxxx') to my books on Amazon.

I have read that ALL external links should be no follow (and follow for internal links).

But with these kinds of links, should or should i now no follow my ebook links.

Thank you
#amazon #follow
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
    We "do-follow" almost all external links. In fact, we no-follow more internal links than we do external ones.

    I'd have them as followed links. Amazon is a well-known, respected site and it may actually help that those links are followed.
    Signature
    StoreCoach.com - FREE TRAINING - Learn How to Build Your Own eCommerce Website
    My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox Business News, the NY Times & Flippa
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11650924].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JP1000
      Thanks very much for this advice, Dave. Good to have.

      Could I just ask - sorry - the circumstances i might no-follow an internal? Just doing them now and leaving them all follow.

      Sorry for being so basic.

      Thank you again
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11650936].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
        Originally Posted by JP1000 View Post

        Thanks very much for this advice, Dave. Good to have.

        Could I just ask - sorry - the circumstances i might no-follow an internal? Just doing them now and leaving them all follow.

        Sorry for being so basic.

        Thank you again
        We'll nofollow links to pages that serve no purpose being indexed - terms of service, privacy policy, newsletter signup, contact us, etc. It makes no sense to spread/divide any internal link juice those pages' way.
        Signature
        StoreCoach.com - FREE TRAINING - Learn How to Build Your Own eCommerce Website
        My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox Business News, the NY Times & Flippa
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11651137].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
          Originally Posted by dave_hermansen View Post

          We'll nofollow links to pages that serve no purpose being indexed - terms of service, privacy policy, newsletter signup, contact us, etc. It makes no sense to spread/divide any internal link juice those pages' way.
          I would recommend against doing this. It just bleeds out linkjuice. There is no benefit to adding nofollow to internal links like this. There hasn't been since about 2009.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11653079].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
            Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

            I would recommend against doing this. It just bleeds out linkjuice. There is no benefit to adding nofollow to internal links like this. There hasn't been since about 2009.
            So, you are saying it bleeds out link juice when you nofollow the links but it doesn't bleed out link juice when the links are followed?
            Signature
            StoreCoach.com - FREE TRAINING - Learn How to Build Your Own eCommerce Website
            My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox Business News, the NY Times & Flippa
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11653277].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
          Originally Posted by dave_hermansen View Post

          We'll nofollow links to pages that serve no purpose being indexed - terms of service, privacy policy, newsletter signup, contact us, etc. It makes no sense to spread/divide any internal link juice those pages' way.
          Who said there is no purpose to interconnect pages that created exactly because
          they have purpose. Strategically placed links in mentioned above pages are essential
          for making sure every page has been crawled and indexed by search engine.

          Not only Contact page would have link to home or any other page it also would have
          advertising material which need to be exposed to Bots. Using no-follow doesn't make
          any sense because something must to direct Bots to deep linked pages.



          fastreplies
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11653182].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
            Originally Posted by fastreplies View Post

            Who said there is no purpose to interconnect pages that created exactly because
            they have purpose. Strategically placed links in mentioned above pages are essential
            for making sure every page has been crawled and indexed by search engine.

            Not only Contact page would have link to home or any other page it also would have
            advertising material which need to be exposed to Bots. Using no-follow doesn't make
            any sense because something must to direct Bots to deep linked pages.



            fastreplies
            A solid category structure is plenty to make sure all of the pages on your site (that you want to be crawled) are crawled.

            Your Contact, Policies page, etc. already have links to the home page and other categories of your site because of the nav bar. As far as placing ads on the Contact page goes, I guess that is fine if you have an affiliate site but for most other sites, the last thing I would want to do is have ads that take people off of my website when they are clicked - especially on my Contact page.
            Signature
            StoreCoach.com - FREE TRAINING - Learn How to Build Your Own eCommerce Website
            My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox Business News, the NY Times & Flippa
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11653276].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
              Originally Posted by dave_hermansen View Post

              As far as placing ads on the Contact page goes, I guess that is fine if you have an affiliate site but for most other sites, the last thing I would want to do is have ads that take people off of my website when they are clicked - especially on my Contact page.
              It might surprise you but, at least our directory Contact page
              popularity is in 6th place according to AWStats. So , I guess
              it usefulness is up to individual sites, never the less every page
              has it special place in scheme of interconnected pages.



              fastreplies
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11653380].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
                Originally Posted by fastreplies View Post

                It might surprise you but, at least our directory Contact page
                popularity is in 6th place according to AWStats.
                Not sure if that is a good thing. In essence, that seems to indicate that a whole lot of people who did not find the information they needed from the site or in the case of an eCommerce site, a whole lot of people looking to complain/return things.
                Signature
                StoreCoach.com - FREE TRAINING - Learn How to Build Your Own eCommerce Website
                My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox Business News, the NY Times & Flippa
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11653444].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author fastreplies
                  Originally Posted by dave_hermansen View Post

                  Not sure if that is a good thing. In essence, that seems to indicate that a whole lot of people who did not find the information they needed from the site or in the case of an eCommerce site, a whole lot of people looking to complain/return things.
                  And that would be vast majority of buying public that needs to know more about
                  who, where and how and that is why trip to Contact page would be so essential.

                  So, because of traffic placing something like link to site map, banner ad, what's
                  on sale etc. would make Contact page not just another site's routine addition
                  but something that would create added value for you and your visitors.



                  fastreplies
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11653728].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
                    Originally Posted by fastreplies View Post

                    And that would be vast majority of buying public that needs to know more about
                    who, where and how and that is why trip to Contact page would be so essential.
                    Which is what I said ... you didn't do a very good job of explaining it on your website.
                    Signature
                    StoreCoach.com - FREE TRAINING - Learn How to Build Your Own eCommerce Website
                    My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox Business News, the NY Times & Flippa
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11654072].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JP1000
    Ahhh ok, yes I see that!

    Thank you very much once again

    J
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11651144].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Originally Posted by JP1000 View Post

    Hi,

    I am an author of eBooks, and have a site where my only external links (via boolkinker 'mybook.to/xxxxx') to my books on Amazon.

    I have read that ALL external links should be no follow (and follow for internal links).

    But with these kinds of links, should or should i now no follow my ebook links.

    Thank you
    Anyone who is saying all external links should be nofollow is a moron and has no idea what they are talking about. There is zero benefit to you to make all your external links nofollow.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11653081].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics