Do Follow or No Follows!!!!!

30 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi Guys,

Ive heard many different opinions on this!!

But does it really make any difference if you have a back link from a Do or No Follow site.

I know that most back link check websites dont show a back link from Hub Pages which is a No Follow website but then Google doesn't seem to give anything away.

Regards

Wayne
#follow
  • Profile picture of the author aaron_nimocks
    I don't personally think there is a big difference. Big thing about nofollow is it does not pass pagerank. But Im sure google still counts those links into the algo for ranking which is what really matters.
    Signature

    My free PSD logs can be downloaded at PSD Bum. Enjoy!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1492785].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TheRichJerksNet
    No it does not ... It means nothing at all.. You should be posting anyplace you can post no matter what anyone else tells you.

    James
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1492817].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ayame
    For me do follw site is more convenient and suitable to promote website using keywords and domain names. I also prefer for high pr sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1493234].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ishan
    I prefer dofollow sites. Regarding HubPages, they make links dofollow if your rating is above 75.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1493264].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Danny Cutts
    I try and find dofollows but if not then I will use no follows...

    On the other hand I also make all my links leaving my own site no follows...

    Danny
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1493300].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 2d0k
    Having DoFollow links to your site is important as Google count these as full votes for your site. However, there's no concrete evidence to support that Google doesn't count NoFollow links entirely. I think these links still provide some link juice to your pages if you make a back link from these..
    Signature
    World News | Hasta La Victoria Siempre! | Website Hosting Cost
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1493455].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Danny Cutts
      Originally Posted by 2d0k View Post

      Having DoFollow links to your site is important as Google count these as full votes for your site. However, there's no concrete evidence to support that Google doesn't count NoFollow links entirely. I think these links still provide some link juice to your pages if you make a back link from these..
      hmmm i dont agree with that.

      With having say a link to twitter as a "dofollow" you are sharing your page link juice with that site... so say if you have pr of 3 you are leaking pr to that site.

      so if you make your external links as "NOFOLLOW" you are keeping all your link juice on your site and not sharing it.

      The way I look at it is imagine your website is a bucket fill it with water then every "Dofollow" link is like a hole in the bottom of the bucket and leaking water or link juice.


      Thats the way I see it

      Danny
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1493873].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author benjovi
    I prefer Do Follow one. Google won't crawl our link if placed on nofollow blog, but G do on do follow
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494043].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Danny Cutts
      Originally Posted by benjovi View Post

      I prefer Do Follow one. Google won't crawl our link if placed on nofollow blog, but G do on do follow
      yes thats true

      Danny

      PS well as far as we have worked out!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494081].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author butters
      Originally Posted by benjovi View Post

      I prefer Do Follow one. Google won't crawl our link if placed on nofollow blog, but G do on do follow
      Google crawls all, how you think you get indexed from web 2.0 sites which are mostly no follow.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494442].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Inside Wholesale
    In my opinion there is a difference nofollow tells google not to give this link and credit, you may aswell not have a nofollow link however this could still bring traffic to your websites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494085].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Liquidgraph
      Why is this issue still being debated? Your opinions are irrelevant. Google's own Matt Cutts clearly explains that no-follow links do NOT affect your ranking, AT ALL! Period!

      If you're doing SEO by building no-follow links, you might as well give voodoo as shot, or try prayer -- cause that's gonna be just about as effective.

      The no-follow tag was designed by Google as a way of enabling webmasters to say, "Hey, this link is not trust-worthy. It was added to my site by a user, who could easily be spamming." Interestingly enough, no-follow links count against the issuing website's PR outflow (diminishing it just as every additional link on a page does), but they don't pass on that PR to the outbound site. No-follow links are PR blackholes.
      Signature

      Change it up! Pitch me a get-rich-slow scheme.

      Annuity | Annuity Rates | Annuity Calculator | Fixed Annuity

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494305].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author palms
        Originally Posted by Liquidgraph View Post

        Why is this issue still being debated? Your opinions are irrelevant. Google's own Matt Cutts clearly explains that no-follow links do NOT affect your ranking, AT ALL! Period!

        If you're doing SEO by building no-follow links, you might as well give voodoo as shot, or try prayer -- cause that's gonna be just about as effective.

        The no-follow tag was designed by Google as a way of enabling webmasters to say, "Hey, this link is not trust-worthy. It was added to my site by a user, who could easily be spamming." Interestingly enough, no-follow links count against the issuing website's PR outflow (diminishing it just as every additional link on a page does), but they don't pass on that PR to the outbound site. No-follow links are PR blackholes.
        ...ding-ding!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494344].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Marketing Ignite
          This is already confirmed with Matt Cutts from Google...They wont pass any link nor anchor text juice..Its old news...
          Signature

          Digital Marketing Consultant since 1998. Contact me for a free consultation.
          https://www.marketingignite.com

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494416].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Tom Goodwin
            Originally Posted by Marketing Ignite View Post

            This is already confirmed with Matt Cutts from Google...They wont pass any link nor anchor text juice..Its old news...

            What concerns me is this.

            Does anyone actually know that the nofollow links don't pass link juice, or are we just relying on what Google is telling us?

            I would feel much more comfortable with some data on this then everyone just relying on the old "google says so" argument.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1497227].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
        Originally Posted by Liquidgraph View Post

        Why is this issue still being debated? Your opinions are irrelevant. Google's own Matt Cutts clearly explains that no-follow links do NOT affect your ranking, AT ALL! Period!
        I would LOVE the link to this statement so it can be read in context. because I have NEVER heard from Cutts that PR has no affect "AT AILL! PERIOD!" on your ranking. No it is not the end all and be all. Relevance Juice is always the deciding factor but to say that PR has no influence whatsoever is bogus information.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494783].message }}
        • i would say just stick to do follow.You know these will all be counted by google and cannot be 100% sure about all no follow sites.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494810].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author butters
          Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

          I would LOVE the link to this statement so it can be read in context. because I have NEVER heard from Cutts that PR has no affect "AT AILL! PERIOD!" on your ranking. No it is not the end all and be all. Relevance Juice is always the deciding factor but to say that PR has no influence whatsoever is bogus information.
          He isn't talking about PR, he is talking about linking, done a little digging for you tho mike, heres a quote from matt

          "Then if you want to link to a blackhat spammer without it counting as a vote in Google, just add rel="nofollow" to the hyperlink, and you'll be able to tell the difference between normal and nofollow links."

          Here is a link, they may help a bit... Seeing nofollow links

          Its about google chrome but he still states no follows wont count.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494828].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author butters
    Here is my question tho, is there any plugins out there or software (for mac if software) that shows you that the site is do follow or not.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494465].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marketing Ignite
    Butters is correct. Google follows the link and index but dont pass any link juice...
    Signature

    Digital Marketing Consultant since 1998. Contact me for a free consultation.
    https://www.marketingignite.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494469].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author palms
    Matt Cutts on nofollow...

    h**p://groups.google.com/group/Google_Webmaster_Help-Indexing/msg/21b12da30e8b0de2?pli=1

    "for Google, nofollow'ed links are dropped out of
    our link graph; we don't even use such links for discovery."

    "So nofollow as a link attribute causes Google to drop those links out
    of our link graph. If you have a nofollow link from page A to page B,
    we won't crawl via page A's link to discover page B."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494864].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Palms I think you are missing what the debate is about or perhaps I am misreading you. In a debate whether do follow or no follow links matter using a nofollow DOES matter. thats what Cutts is saying. The link does not pass on PR and as such it has less of a benefit than a dofollow.

      Now if your point is just to say that no follow doesn't count then I agree and misread what you were trying to say. I thought you were taking the position that using nofollow over a dofollow makes no difference.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494947].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author palms
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        Palms I think you are missing what the debate is about or perhaps I am misreading you. In a debate whether do follow or no follow links matter using a nofollow DOES matter. thats what Cutts is saying. The link does not pass on PR and as such it has less of a benefit than a dofollow.

        Now if your point is just to say that no follow doesn't count then I agree and misread what you were trying to say. I thought you were taking the position that using nofollow over a dofollow makes no difference.
        Nope, you mis-understood my "ding-ding" comment. It was supposed to be taken as "ding-ding, we have a winner," to indicate that I am in agreement with Liquidgraph who has it exactly correct.

        Nofollow negates the value of a link for SEO purposes. Nofollow links are blackholes for everything except the click-thru traffic benefit you might get from them.

        In other words, I am in complete agreement with what Liquidgraph (and Matt Cutts) say about nofollow.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1495227].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
          Originally Posted by palms View Post


          In other words, I am in complete agreement with what Liquidgraph (and Matt Cutts) say about nofollow.
          Understood. totally agree then.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1496367].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sousen
    When creating a link on a webpage using HTML, the standard code for that link is:
    Search Engine OptimizationIt includes the HTML tag, the URL the link will be going to, the text that will be shown on the webpage for that link, and the closing HTML tag. You are able to add more HTML to the code above, in order to tell the search engine spiders whether or not you want them to follow the link when crawling your website. You may be thinking... "Why wouldn't I want the search engine spiders to see all of the links on my site?" This is a very valid concern, which I will address further down. First, I am going to show you how to modify the HTML in order to tell the search engine spiders to crawl a link or not. To tell the spiders to crawl a link, you don't have to do anything. Simply using the format shown above, the search engine spiders will crawl the link provided. To tell the spiders to NOT crawl a link, you need to add the following code to the HTML code above: rel="nofollow"

    So dofollow means those are not using "nofollow" Hope it will help you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1494937].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brp002
    OK so nofollow gives you no link juice in most search engines. So not worth your time to have a nofollow link in my opinion. But my friends like to call it a leaky condom.... Sometimes it really does help you.
    Signature

    If you want a link here please email me!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1496570].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rypher21
    do follow is much prefer but then no follow helps too..especially if its from a good quality site...
    Signature
    Business Consulting Services - Kittelson & Carpo Consulting
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1497191].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stephen Root
    To me the most shocking thing is that you actually believe what Matt Cutts says. That guy is a walking spin machine. Nofollow links are excluded from the algo.. yeah right. They might have a little less effect but now that nofollow is standard, it's been used in a way it wasn't intended (all external links are automatically nofollow in order to keep pagerank in) and that must change how Google evaluates those links.

    The problem with your "nofollow links are not followed or included" is that you are now thinking in small scale and exactly how SEO people think. And exactly how Matt Cutts & Google wants you to think because it makes their job much easier to filter your sites out.

    What if I'm keeping a website about really, really narrowed niche and it's the best there is about the topic but because I don't know anything about SEO my only link building happens when I talk in the forums and comment on blogs in my niche. And 99.95% of those blogs are using nofollow tags. There's absolutely 0% change of site being ever featured in big social media site or in media.

    So how's Google going to rank that site based on the quality of the site if all incoming links are nofollow? If nofollow links would be excluded completely, it would lead to a situation where search results would not be the best possible ones. And that means Google doesn't do their job properly because their algo has a fundamental flaw.

    Then you say you do only dofollow blogs. I'm sorry but that's just so very wrong if you want to boost your rankings. We at SEOBDB.com are very familiar with the ratio of dofollow and nofollow blogs in Wordpress installations because our job is to find those blogs, spider them and determine which ones are dofollow and which ones are not, which by the way is not as easy as it sounds And based on our statistics you are lucky if you can find 1 active & not spammed to death dofollow blog in 100 Wordpress blogs. Based on that fact alone, think about how your link profile will look like if you comment only in dofollow blogs. I can't think of bigger flag right now. Well maybe using same anchor text all the time and doing posts in batches when there's clear timestamp visible when comment was left.

    Anyway, I hope you guys really think these things before you go and spend a lot of time first building a website and then link building. Because if your goal is to rank in Google and you don't think your link building thru, you can really make things difficult for yourself.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1497348].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jazbo
    Three words:

    Natural Link Profile.

    Does gaining only dofollow links make your link profile look natural?
    Signature
    CONTENT WRITER. Reliable, UK-Based, 6 Years Experience - ANY NICHE
    Click Here For Writing Samples & Online Ordering
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1497676].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agegracefully
    I prefer Do Follow too, find high pr blog by google it "dofollow blog list"
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1497853].message }}

Trending Topics