What Is On-Page SEO? The Question Asked By Many, Answered!

19 replies
  • SEO
  • |
There are two types of SEO, on-page SEO and off-page SEO, as you might have already guessed from the names, on-page SEO is optimizing your website to be as search engine friendly as possible, in order to provide the best ranking for your keywords and the best overall ranking for your website, off-page SEO is more to do with link building.

Read the rest: What Is On-Page SEO? | Daily SEO Blog
#answered #asked #onpage #question #seo
  • Profile picture of the author slappytheking
    Just to clarify a bit....SEO is the combination of "both" on page factors and off page factors. Alex is dead on....on page is the SEO'ing done on the pages of your site.....off page are the links pointing (for example) to your site....
    Slap
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1755565].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexander CPA
    Totally correct, SEO is split into off-page and on-page SEO, both of which are major parts of SEO, although there have been some reports/blog posts flying around about on-page SEO only going towards 15% of your ranking, the other 85% is all to do with off-page SEO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1755597].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kurt
      Originally Posted by Alex Brooks View Post

      Totally correct, SEO is split into off-page and on-page SEO, both of which are major parts of SEO, although there have been some reports/blog posts flying around about on-page SEO only going towards 15% of your ranking, the other 85% is all to do with off-page SEO.
      In general, on-page is used mostly for relevancy, while off-page is used more for ranking.

      However, even this statement isn't totally accurate. There's different types of searches. IMO, the more competitive a search query is, the more off-page criteria is used. For the less competitve queries with more non-relevant results, on-page becomes a bigger factor.
      Signature
      Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
      Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1755910].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kurt
      Originally Posted by Alex Brooks View Post

      Totally correct, SEO is split into off-page and on-page SEO, both of which are major parts of SEO, although there have been some reports/blog posts flying around about on-page SEO only going towards 15% of your ranking, the other 85% is all to do with off-page SEO.
      IMO, on-page is used for relevancy, while off-page is used for ranking.

      And even this is inaccurate. I believe that the more competitive a search query is, the more important off-page becomes. And for the more "obscure" queries that have fewer, less relevant results, on-page becomes more important.
      Signature
      Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
      Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1755936].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexander CPA
        Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

        IMO, on-page is used for relevancy, while off-page is used for ranking.

        And even this is inaccurate. I believe that the more competitive a search query is, the more important off-page becomes. And for the more "obscure" queries that have fewer, less relevant results, on-page becomes more important.
        Very interesting suggestion; although never the less, on-page should be treated as important to maximize results, it's that plain and simple, there is no reason why optimizing your on-page SEO will not have some sort of increase, playing with titles/descs of pages can increase your click though ratio for Google, you need to want people to click your link, not just see it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1756007].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Kurt
          Originally Posted by Alex Brooks View Post

          Very interesting suggestion; although never the less, on-page should be treated as important to maximize results, it's that plain and simple, there is no reason why optimizing your on-page SEO will not have some sort of increase, playing with titles/descs of pages can increase your click though ratio for Google, you need to want people to click your link, not just see it.
          Yep, my point doesn't contradict this at all. As a matter of fact, my points place more emphasis on on-page.

          As far as maximizing results, IMO a well-optimized page should rank well for any number of keywords, not just a single keyword/phrase. The bottom line is really traffic, as you could tinker with a title tag and gain with one keyword phrase but lose with others.

          The best bet is to have a number of different resources so that your stuff can own multiple top positions for multiple keywords.
          Signature
          Discover the fastest and easiest ways to create your own valuable products.
          Tons of FREE Public Domain content you can use to make your own content, PLR, digital and POD products.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1756149].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paytonlowe
    Its very simple. Content relevant to your keywords, keywords in your title, description, meta tags and h1 tags.

    Anymore on page seo is unnesscary.

    I have pages on the first page of google and thats all the on-page seo I have ever done.
    Signature
    Auto SMS System - Broadcast Unlimited Text Messages. [Accepting JV Partners] http://AutoSMSJV.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1755624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mmresources
    I like tagging my pictures with keyword rich tags, using my main keyword phrase in the first sentence, and also using it in the last sentence on the page, in addition to the meta, bold, H1 tags, etc.
    Signature

    Looking to Dominate the Search Engines?

    SEO Resources | Bay Area SEO | Free SEO Guide

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1755677].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexander CPA
      Originally Posted by paytonlowe View Post

      Its very simple. Content relevant to your keywords, keywords in your title, description, meta tags and h1 tags.

      Anymore on page seo is unnesscary.

      I have pages on the first page of google and thats all the on-page seo I have ever done.
      Very true, like I said previously, on-page SEO is only around 15% towards your SERP ranking, but it's just always good to have it done, saves a lot of time and does help, but isn't required.

      Originally Posted by mmresources View Post

      I like tagging my pictures with keyword rich tags, using my main keyword phrase in the first sentence, and also using it in the last sentence on the page, in addition to the meta, bold, H1 tags, etc.
      I do the same with my images, planning on writing another post on more detailed on page seo later on.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1755872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sajan1kota
    Looks like both on-page and off- page SEO contributes to the success of the website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1756013].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rysk
    Alex Brooks / Xero SEO - why are you asking a question on something you already know the answer to?
    Why also are you asking the same question which you asked just recently on the digital point forum?
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1756127].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jazbo
    Just to challenge things a bit here, I am going to throw a hand grenade into the thread and suggest there is no such thing as off-page "optimisation".

    What are we optimising exactly? Increasing our chances with linkbuilding maybe, but is that optimising anything?
    Signature
    CONTENT WRITER. Reliable, UK-Based, 6 Years Experience - ANY NICHE
    Click Here For Writing Samples & Online Ordering
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1756562].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dburk
      Originally Posted by jazbo View Post

      Just to challenge things a bit here, I am going to throw a hand grenade into the thread and suggest there is no such thing as off-page "optimisation".

      What are we optimising exactly? Increasing our chances with linkbuilding maybe, but is that optimising anything?
      Hi jazbo,

      I tend to agree with your assertion. Link building is promotional activity more than SEO. However, there is an SEO element in link building. A backlink that is not relevant does little to help you rank for a targeted keyword. By optimizing the anchor text for search engine placement you are able to improve your ranking for your targeted keyword.

      While link building is a promotional activity that can get you targeted traffic, you won't get much improvement in SERP ranking unless you SEO the anchor text of your backlinks.

      Many folks seem to refer to link building as off-page SEO and it isn't. On-page SEO is the optimization of page elements important to search engines for determining relevance, while off-page SEO is the optimization of those same elements where backlinks are placed. Just as you can build web pages that are not optimized, you can build backlinks that are not optimized. The primary difference between on-page and off-page optimization is that different elements become more important depending on whether it's on-page or off-page SEO.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1756876].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GrowingToPersist
        Kurt
        In general, on-page is used mostly for relevancy, while off-page is used more for ranking.
        I totally agree th this. The on-page is for me about the content and the value that I am bring to the visitor. Then that content needs to be relivent to the pages and sites that I get them linked too. This creates the rankings as Kurt said.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1756995].message }}
  • This is pretty useless and looks like a spam post to me. Ask a question the provide a link to your blog. That's clever. That is brilliant.

    Make me wonder why I bother to click on so many of these newbie threads.

    There are some great people here contributing... but there is an alarming amount of DP Quality stuff creeping in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1756571].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alexander CPA
      Originally Posted by InternetMarketingIQ View Post

      This is pretty useless and looks like a spam post to me. Ask a question the provide a link to your blog. That's clever. That is brilliant.

      Make me wonder why I bother to click on so many of these newbie threads.

      There are some great people here contributing... but there is an alarming amount of DP Quality stuff creeping in.
      I wasn't asking a question at all - I was answering the question.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1758567].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Xeen
        I wasn't asking a question at all - I was answering the question.
        The one you asked....
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1758597].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
        Originally Posted by Alex Brooks View Post

        I wasn't asking a question at all - I was answering the question.
        As a regular here I am still wondering where all these many were that were asking that question. Honestly this is so basic almost everyone posting on this board knows it. I don't see the many.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1759122].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AnnieSh
    On-page optimization includes site map, content=> which is the king of all, proper usage of keywords, h1 headers, etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1758947].message }}

Trending Topics