I call this method the "Competitor Piggyback'
Here's a simple but very effective method to get ranked higher in the search engines.
We all know that backlinks are very a important factor contributing to your rankings.
But the question is WHERE do you place your links?
After you've done the social bookmarking, Web 2.0, directory submissions etc., you can add this to your backlinking arsenal.
So here's the step-by-step method:
1) Do a search of your primary keyword in Google.
2) Make note of the URL's of all the websites in top 10 ('www' matters)
3) Go to Backlinks Checker Tool - Backlink Watch
4) Put the URL in the searchbox and see the results that come up.
5) The results will show the exact URLs which links back to that website. It'll also show the actual 'anchor text' of the backlink and 'total number of links on that page' and whether the link is nofollow or not.
6) Open up the URL's one by one and see if you can place a link on that URL like your competitor has (Forum, comment etc.)
No need to open up the URL's which have 'nofollow' associated with them.
Basically we're piggybacking on the competitor's strategy, and picking out the best URL's where the competitor has placed their link and placing our link on that URL.
We don't have to go around looking for URL's to backlink anymore. Our competitors will give them to us