What is the deal with No Follow?

by Klunne
32 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hey Warriors,

Set aside the issue of traffic for a second and lets talk about backlink juice. Sites like Articlesbase and Article Alley are "No Follow" so why are they so popular as backlinking directories.

I have read some stuff on google that some people claimed to have run SERP tests that prove that "No Follow" passes juice but Matt Cutts says, "In Google, nofollow links don't pass PageRank and don't pass anchortext".

So why do people still submit to "No Follow" article directories. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for your responses!
#deal #follow
  • Profile picture of the author oca101
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2097357].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Igor Kheifets
      Originally Posted by oca101 View Post

      nofollow is an HTML attribute value used to instruct some search engines that a hyperlink should not influence the link target's ranking in the search engine's index. It is intended to reduce the effectiveness of certain types of search engine spam, thereby improving the quality of search engine results and preventing spamdexing from occurring.
      Thanks for the quick SEO lesson, but it doesn't answer the question..

      Why do people submit to the nofollow directories? Well, there are couple of
      reasons:

      1. They use Article Submission Software which submit automatically
      to EVERYWHERE...

      2. For the actual benefits of TRAFFIC. Many article marketers do article
      marketing for the sake of getting traffic more than they do for the sake of building
      links and PR.

      Igor
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2097368].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mohammad Afaq
      Originally Posted by oca101 View Post

      nofollow is an HTML attribute value used to instruct some search engines that a hyperlink should not influence the link target's ranking in the search engine's index. It is intended to reduce the effectiveness of certain types of search engine spam, thereby improving the quality of search engine results and preventing spamdexing from occurring.
      WHAT are you talking about? Read the fricking thread before posting.

      So why do people still submit to "No Follow" article directories. Is there something I'm missing?
      I have never done it myself and I always wonder "Why the heck they do that?"

      I think they give you good traffic, Maybe
      Signature

      “The first draft of anything is shit.” ~Ernest Hemingway

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2097444].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Midas3 Consulting
    Originally Posted by Klunne View Post

    Hey Warriors,

    Set aside the issue of traffic for a second and lets talk about backlink juice. Sites like Articlesbase and Article Alley are "No Follow" so why are they so popular as backlinking directories.

    I have read some stuff on google that some people claimed to have run SERP tests that prove that "No Follow" passes juice but Matt Cutts says, "In Google, nofollow links don’t pass PageRank and don’t pass anchortext".

    So why do people still submit to "No Follow" article directories. Is there something I'm missing?

    Thanks for your responses!
    For internal traffic and that some relnofollow
    ain't a bad thing for showing Google, that
    overall, the links towards you have
    a more natural makeup than 100% do follow.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2097416].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Malachi Kelly
    The main reason for submitting articles to nofollow article directories is for targeted traffic. Because these directories have such high authority with the search engines they can appear In the SERPs much quicker than posting it on you own site.

    The reason to not only focus on dofollow directories is because you want the best chance of getting a visitor to your site for any given keyword. If you dominate the first page for a keyword with a mixture of dofollow and nofollow directories, web 2.0 and your own site., the user has no choice but to come to you.

    Finally the more places you have your content the better chance you have of webmasters republishing your content
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2097479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author actionplanbiz
    I started building backlinks to a specific site. I soon find out that all my backlinks were no follow, but the PR of my site jumped from 0 to 4...

    So based on this i believe that Nofollow may not give you backlink credit but it does pass Pagerank
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2097489].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasonmorgan
    So why do people still submit to "No Follow" article directories. Is there something I'm missing?
    The entire planet doesn't follow the same SEO circle jerk of internet marketing. Perhaps they are using those article directories for other reasons... like submitting articles.
    Signature

    I'm all about that bass.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2097500].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Klunne
      Some great answers ...

      Summary:
      1. Exposure to other directories that may be Do Follow and may republish.
      2. Targetted traffic.

      Awesome, Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2099498].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author styla786
    If you want your pages to rank in the search engine then always use the follow tag. Nofollow is used to keep webpages out the search results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2099535].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jacob Martus
      Originally Posted by styla786 View Post

      If you want your pages to rank in the search engine then always use the follow tag. Nofollow is used to keep webpages out the search results.
      I believe you would be referring to the noindex tag...not nofollow.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2100240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Grant
    Originally Posted by precious007 View Post

    If a particular article directory
    uses the nofollow attribute in
    the resource box, then you can
    only benefit from direct traffic
    and exposure.

    There's no juice passing through
    nofollow links.

    Even if an article directory uses
    the nofollow attribute you still get
    exposure to your articles, thus
    thousands of other online publishers
    can re-publish your articles on
    their dofollow blogs/sites.

    Al.
    This is false.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2099613].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      Originally Posted by mgtarheels View Post

      This is false.
      What is false about it? Every bit is true.
      What are you referring to that is false?
      Maybe you have no clue what nofollow means.

      It means exactly:There's no juice passing through
      nofollow links.

      The last part needs a little clarifying. Thousands of websites
      are not going to publish your article unless you are some
      celebrity write. And, when they do, the link they give you
      may have the nofollow tag dropped.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2099630].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mike Grant
        Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

        What is false about it? Every bit is true.
        What are you referring to that is false?
        Maybe you have no clue what nofollow means.

        It means exactly:There's no juice passing through
        nofollow links.

        The last part needs a little clarifying. Thousands of websites
        are not going to publish your article unless you are some
        celebrity write. And, when they do, the link they give you
        may have the nofollow tag dropped.

        Paul
        I know exactly what no-follow means.

        A common misconception is thought to believe that NO link juice is passed to the linked website. This is false.

        If you think no-follow doesn't pass along any PR, you have some work to do

        EDIT:

        Not only this, but they do pass anchor juice as well. Little? Yes.

        No follow links are followed by Google. Whilst the benefits are very tiny, you can often see them via Site Explorer.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2099658].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author paulgl
          I know exactly what no-follow means.

          A common misconception is thought to believe that NO link juice is passed to the linked website. This is false.

          If you think no-follow doesn't pass along any PR, you have some work to do

          EDIT:

          Not only this, but they do pass anchor juice as well. Little? Yes.

          No follow links are followed by Google. Whilst the benefits are very tiny, you can often see them via Site Explorer.
          You are absolutely bonkers!
          You know absolutely nothing!
          In fact, everything YOU say is false!
          You have some serious learning to do.
          Very serious learning.

          I am laughing sooooo hard at the moment at your complete lack
          of understanding! Man is this rich!

          Incidentally, it's "nofollow" not no-follow or no follow.

          I don't really need to quote google, but I will:
          This means that Google does not transfer PageRank or anchor text across these links.
          Paul
          Signature

          If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2099772].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mike Grant
            Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

            You are absolutely bonkers!
            You know absolutely nothing!
            In fact, everything YOU say is false!
            You have some serious learning to do.
            Very serious learning.

            I am laughing sooooo hard at the moment at your complete lack
            of understanding! Man is this rich!

            Incidentally, it's "nofollow" not no-follow or no follow.

            I don't really need to quote google, but I will:


            Paul
            I'm confident I'm much more knowledgeable than you on this topic, tbh.

            For starters, Cutts has gone on record saying both. Why? Because he has an agenda, and his agenda is to keep SEOers guessing.

            Second, no-follow is only worth a **** to Google. Not Bing, not Yahoo, and not AOL.

            Third, these links are not only crawled, but they're also indexed.

            David Leonhardt’s SEO and Social Media Marketing Look who follows NoFollow links!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2099832].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author paulgl
              You are truly one of the few here who show up clueless.
              *sigh*

              But, there's hope for you if you start researching and learning.
              Until then, you will wallow in your own misinformation.

              Let's look at a blanket false statement which you made.
              If you think no-follow doesn't pass along any PR, you have some work to do
              That, my friend, is completely bonkers. It's insane! You talk about bing? Yahoo?
              GOOGLE MADE THE FRIGGIN TAG! Google made up pagerank! PR has nothing to
              do with bing or yahoo! So, when you mention PR, you MUST be talking
              about google!

              But please, oh wise one, tell me how a "nofollow" link passes PR!
              That would be one fine fairy tale.

              You need to get a grip on reality.

              Paul
              Signature

              If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2099910].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Mike Grant
                Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

                You are truly one of the few here who show up clueless.
                *sigh*

                But, there's hope for you if you start researching and learning.
                Until then, you will wallow in your own misinformation.

                Let's look at a blanket false statement which you made.


                That, my friend, is completely bonkers. It's insane! You talk about bing? Yahoo?
                GOOGLE MADE THE FRIGGIN TAG! Google made up pagerank! PR has nothing to
                do with bing or yahoo! So, when you mention PR, you MUST be talking
                about google!

                But please, oh wise one, tell me how a "nofollow" link passes PR!
                That would be one fine fairy tale.

                You need to get a grip on reality.

                Paul
                Any reason you completely ignored the link, and how I said Cutts has gone on record saying both?
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2099916].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
    Always wondered why Google NEEDED to use PageRank and the most obvious answer was messing with webmasters.

    Personally, still believe it's a way (complicated, with many forms) to track who's a webmaster.

    Call me crazy but I never EVER care about nofollow, dofollow, whatever.

    Anyways, I did a small experiment with some BlogSpot comments (nofollow) targeting a website of mine and so far GREAT rankings - But when you check the backlink profile the vast majority are backlinks from related BlogSpot comments (nofollow).

    If they count to PR or not I DON'T CARE. But those backlinks are putting my website up there in top 5 for over a year.

    SEO can be very tricky and stuff that works in this market, does not work with different keywords, different competition. Way too complicated to put it as BLUE or RED.

    Just my 2 cents.
    Signature
    People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2099900].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Grant
      Originally Posted by Fernando Veloso View Post

      Always wondered why Google NEEDED to use PageRank and the most obvious answer was messing with webmasters.

      Personally, still believe it's a way (complicated, with many forms) to track who's a webmaster.

      Call me crazy but I never EVER care about nofollow, dofollow, whatever.

      Anyways, I did a small experiment with some BlogSpot comments (nofollow) targeting a website of mine and so far GREAT rankings - But when you check the backlink profile the vast majority are backlinks from related BlogSpot comments (nofollow).

      If they count to PR or not I DON'T CARE. But those backlinks are putting my website up there in top 5 for over a year.

      SEO can be very tricky and stuff that works in this market, does not work with different keywords, different competition. Way too complicated to put it as BLUE or RED.

      Just my 2 cents.
      I can agree.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2099920].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulgl
        If you think Matt Cutts ever said that nofollow links
        pass on PR, you are living in a double fantasy world.

        In fact, this argument is pointless. It's like arguing if
        a poodle is a dog. Everybody knows a poodle is a dog,
        but someone could come up with something and swear
        a poodle is not a dog.

        That person would as bonkers as a person claiming that
        a nofollow link passes PR. You can't reason away what a
        fool believes.

        But if you believe that a nofollow link passes PR, you had
        better get out of the SEO business. Because you have no
        clue. Not a one. You do everybody a disservice by claiming
        such a false statement. Period.

        Paul
        Signature

        If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2100060].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
          Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

          If you think Matt Cutts ever said that nofollow links
          pass on PR, you are living in a double fantasy world.

          In fact, this argument is pointless. It's like arguing if
          a poodle is a dog. Everybody knows a poodle is a dog,
          but someone could come up with something and swear
          a poodle is not a dog.

          That person would as bonkers as a person claiming that
          a nofollow link passes PR. You can't reason away what a
          fool believes.

          But if you believe that a nofollow link passes PR, you had
          better get out of the SEO business. Because you have no
          clue. Not a one. You do everybody a disservice by claiming
          such a false statement. Period.

          Paul
          You talk A LOT but you never give one single line of proof. No link, no source, nada.

          Just you, you, you.

          Let me tell you, YOU da man.

          :rolleyes:
          Signature
          People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2101580].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author paulgl
            Originally Posted by Fernando Veloso View Post

            You talk A LOT but you never give one single line of proof. No link, no source, nada.

            Just you, you, you.

            Let me tell you, YOU da man.

            :rolleyes:
            You ignored my quote of google, like I knew you would.
            Anyone who thinks nofollow passes PR is an idiot.
            Ergo?
            Perhaps you don't know why google came up with nofollow.
            To not pass PR to links. That's the reason. Period. To
            avoid spammed links counting. Obviously, you don't know
            that. Now you do.
            This means that Google does not transfer PageRank or anchor text across these links. Essentially, using nofollow causes us to drop the target links from our overall graph of the web.
            This whole debate is on passing PR to nofollow links.
            Read google yourself:
            About rel="nofollow" - Webmaster Tools Help

            Nofollow has nothing to do with crawling or indexing. It's all about
            NOT passing PR. Period. So simple, a child can understand it.

            Can't get any plainer than that.
            But, like all seo clowns, you ignore google.

            Paul
            Signature

            If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2101954].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Fernando Veloso
              Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

              You ignored my quote of google, like I knew you would.
              Anyone who thinks nofollow passes PR is an idiot.
              Ergo?
              Perhaps you don't know why google came up with nofollow.
              To not pass PR to links. That's the reason. Period. To
              avoid spammed links counting. Obviously, you don't know
              that. Now you do.

              This whole debate is on passing PR to nofollow links.
              Read google yourself:
              About rel="nofollow" - Webmaster Tools Help

              Nofollow has nothing to do with crawling or indexing. It's all about
              NOT passing PR. Period. So simple, a child can understand it.

              Can't get any plainer than that.
              But, like all seo clowns, you ignore google.

              Paul
              So, you never did a personal test, YET you call me a clown and a idiot.

              What a clever guy.

              :rolleyes:
              Signature
              People make good money selling to the rich. But the rich got rich selling to the masses.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2102549].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author weblover
    I think that the main importance of a backlink is the quality and so the webpage contents and keywords that are present in the page with that backlink.
    Remember that Google algorithms are changing and soon a lot of technics become only urban myths .

    bye
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2100194].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dmac3296
    article base still has a high page rank and if people like what you have to say they will check out your other articles and suggested links
    Signature
    travel from los angeles - accepting guest posts for Travel and CA Local guides
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2100251].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author licketysplit
      I've done plenty of testing and I've found that, yes, nofollow links do influence your rankings in Google.

      I don't care what their spin doctor Matt Cutts says about it - Someone who works at Google isn't going to tell people how to game their system.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2100316].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author duia
    Most webmasters hold the idea that "NoFollow" links don’t pass PageRank and link juice.
    But if we submit the articles to article directory sites that have big traffic, we can gain much traffic easily although they don't support "DoFollow" links.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2101470].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hardi Wijaya
    Originally Posted by Klunne View Post

    So why do people still submit to "No Follow" article directories. Is there something I'm missing?

    Thanks for your responses!
    "No follow" doesn't work for Yahoo. If you've a high-traffic keyword in Yahoo, why not?


    Hardi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2101543].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Leslie B
    Originally Posted by Klunne View Post


    So why do people still submit to "No Follow" article directories. Is there something I'm missing?
    I create dofollow as well as nofollow links. Why? To look more natural. Google loves backlinks that your site gets "on it's own". Now, I know, that there isn't one internet marketeer that doesn't build backlinks, and they know too. So I'm sure they have it somewhere in their algorithm to check how the the dofollow backlinks relate to the nofollow backlinks for your site. If it looks natural enough I think you will get a better ranking then if you only use dofollow backlinks. Now, I don't work for google, neither am I an SEO expert, so you don't have to take my word for it. It's just my way of working.

    Another thing people still post on nofollow article directories is because of the traffic and the opportunity to have your article out on the web, as most directories allow others to use your article with the resourcebox intact.

    Leslie
    Signature
    Taking it one day at a time!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2101558].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Midas3 Consulting
    oooh handbags.

    I'm getting popcorn.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2102556].message }}

Trending Topics