Anyone noticed this happen when trying to get Google to index your site?

15 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I've had a domain for about 6 months. It's been left for a while doing nothing, other times I used the domain and hosting to test out some scripts I was developing and provide examples for clients.

I've used the domain and have a full site up on it. It's been up for about 5 days but Google still hasn't indexed it.

I've social bookmarked it, I've pinged all 1800+ pages on the site (that took ages), I've submitted my RSS feed to RSS aggregators.

I can't see what I am doing wrong.

I was thinking maybe Google thinks "this site has been inactive every time I spider it, so I won't check it for a while". If so, how can I get Google to pick up on it?

Usually I can get indexed within 48-72 hours tops. Sometimes its within hours. But I have noticed with domains that are left stagnant it can take a long time to get seem.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
#google #happen #index #noticed #site
  • Had this happen to a recent domain I bought.

    Turns out even with my new site on it, Google takes caution as the domain was known as a spamming site, or whatever.

    I didn't worry about it and about 10 days later everything turned out like it should. Now I am strongly chasing top position for multiple keywords. Basically it's like this: If a domain is brand new to you, give it time.

    Originally Posted by JamesJeffery View Post

    I've used the domain and have a full site up on it. It's been up for about 5 days but Google still hasn't indexed it.
    Give it another week and see what happens before you start to worry...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994508].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JamesJeffery
      Originally Posted by Online Passive Incomes View Post

      Had this happen to a recent domain I bought.

      Turns out even with my new site on it, Google takes caution as the domain was known as a spamming site, or whatever.

      I didn't worry about it and about 10 days later everything turned out like it should. Now I am strongly chasing top position for multiple keywords. Basically it's like this: If a domain is brand new to you, give it time.



      Give it another week and see what happens before you start to worry...
      I'll give it some more time. Thanks.
      Signature

      I'm just a regular guy doing my thing.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994527].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author arnoldsmithh
    Have you submitted your website in google webmaster tools and one more thing sitemap ?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994531].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JamesJeffery
      Originally Posted by arnoldsmithh View Post

      Have you submitted your website in google webmaster tools and one more thing sitemap ?
      I have submitted it yes. I don't have a sitemap though. It's the site in my signature. I have an RSS feed though and there are links to "other" questions on each question page which are random so it's pretty easy for Google to navigate.
      Signature

      I'm just a regular guy doing my thing.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994624].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Michael Franklin
        Originally Posted by JamesJeffery View Post

        I have submitted it yes. I don't have a sitemap though. It's the site in my signature. I have an RSS feed though and there are links to "other" questions on each question page which are random so it's pretty easy for Google to navigate.

        Don't forget Google Analytics...Submit there too!
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994714].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carrot
    You have a brand new site suddenly pop up with 1800 pages of almost identical content (nothing changed but a single sentence in an h1 tag).

    This might seem harsh but i wouldnt expect much of that to get indexed even after a while.

    What platform have you used? Is it bespoke? Could you schedule the questions to appear over time?

    If you scraped the questions from somewhere (which i guess you did) can you go back and scrape the answers and drip those in over time?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2994707].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JamesJeffery
      Originally Posted by carrot View Post

      You have a brand new site suddenly pop up with 1800 pages of almost identical content (nothing changed but a single sentence in an h1 tag).

      This might seem harsh but i wouldnt expect much of that to get indexed even after a while.

      What platform have you used? Is it bespoke? Could you schedule the questions to appear over time?

      If you scraped the questions from somewhere (which i guess you did) can you go back and scrape the answers and drip those in over time?
      I developed the software yes. I was thinking adding a schedule but I know people who do the same and are indexed and getting organic traffic.

      I am going to change synonyms and schedule and provide unique answers for a percentage of the questions. Hopefully that should be enough to beat the competition.
      Signature

      I'm just a regular guy doing my thing.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2995495].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thebitbotdotcom
    It sounds like Google hasn't figured out what the site is yet. Give it time. It will come around. New site are quick to be indexed, but domains that have been scrambled like that, I have found, take time to clear up. All of the old indexing has to be worked out which is a sloooooow process, unlike initial indexing.
    Signature
    Do Your Copywriting Skills Suck?

    Let Us Help You Develop Your Writing Skills!

    Submit Guest Posts With [ TheBitBot.Com ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2995148].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wealthyclark
    I find that submitting my sites to Google webmaster tools does the trick, I think it shows that your concerned with learning what needs to be done to give users a better experience.
    Signature
    Now Accepting All Countries! Earn $5.10 Per Free Referral, Totally Free To Participate!
    WealthyClark.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2995196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carrot
    Yes i am sure that would help. Also, following on from my previous reasons you might have problems with this site, googles cache shows it redirected to a less that legitimate flog, of the type that caused a round of lawsuits (fake network logos etc). Google info:answersbank.net to see what i mean. Whilst im not suggesting in the slightest that you had anything to do with that, the previous owners activities may have put a serious black mark on it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2995576].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dave Rodman
      Banned
      I'll just throw this out there cause this actually happened to me once. But if it's a wordpress blog, make sure that it's set to public.

      Otherwise, I would continue to send links to the page. It'll get indexed eventually, even if you do nothing.

      To me, social bookmarking/pinging to get pages noticed is kinda "dead" (hate to use that word). There's way too much noise out there.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2995626].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JamesJeffery
      Originally Posted by carrot View Post

      Yes i am sure that would help. Also, following on from my previous reasons you might have problems with this site, googles cache shows it redirected to a less that legitimate flog, of the type that caused a round of lawsuits (fake network logos etc). Google info:answersbank.net to see what i mean. Whilst im not suggesting in the slightest that you had anything to do with that, the previous owners activities may have put a serious black mark on it.
      How come that domain comes up when I type in my domain? Never heard of it before :/

      I did let a client use the servers for a couple of weeks after I developed his FB application. But I'm still confused how that, or what, would cause some other domain to come up when searching my site.

      Any help?
      Signature

      I'm just a regular guy doing my thing.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2999959].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author earplay
    I see that your question was posted last june 2009. What was the out come.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3000479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shuvo
    It can happen sometimes.Just wait and keep posting and ping the site immediate you make a post.I have fond some of site getting indexed after 1 month of starting and sometime I found that my site indexed after 1 hour I publish the site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3000510].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author carrot
    That comes up if your domain had a 301 redirect to that site in place last time google cached your site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3000594].message }}

Trending Topics