Does hosting affect rankings?

by imfusa 5 replies
I have heard from someone that this thing it is possible to be true. Example: If you want to increase your rankings for United States, you will have to buy hosting from them. Also another thing that i read, is that the type of the hosting matters, webhosting, vps, dedicated. It is said that dedicated hosting will get your rank better than any kind of hosting. Tell me if you agree. And why is this happening? Where i have read, it doesn't say so.
#search engine optimization #affect #hosting #rankings
  • Profile picture of the author gundarz
    I would like to know too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3530206].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonas B
    YES! i say yes at the speed your website is available -> faster hosting has better effect on your rankings..
    Signature
    Proud owner of the most flexible mobile app builder. Check it out at http://bit.ly/hybrica!
    Mobile Web Expert & Android Developer
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3530210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author oneplusone
    You've got to check where the web servers are based; a US hosting company may not have its web servers based in the US.

    If I'm targeting a UK market I always ensure the hosting company I'm using has its web servers based in the UK.

    Matt Cutts talks about it here...

    Signature
    'If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.' Vincent Van Gogh.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3530300].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Christian Little
    Originally Posted by imfusa View Post

    If you want to increase your rankings for United States, you will have to buy hosting from them.
    This is true. If you want to rank well on google.com (which is for US traffic), then you will have a better chance if you are using a US-based hosting company.

    Originally Posted by imfusa View Post

    Also another thing that i read, is that the type of the hosting matters, webhosting, vps, dedicated. It is said that dedicated hosting will get your rank better than any kind of hosting.
    This is partially true. A better statement would be the quality of the hosting matters. If your websites are constantly being knocked offline because you are using a poor hosting service, then your rankings will suffer. That's why people recommend a dedicated or VPS box because they don't go down as easily.

    However, for small sites a shared hosting plan is usually just fine. If you are running a small website, it makes no sense to have a dedicated box since it will cost you more for the server than the website will make.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3531128].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DudleyDog
      Originally Posted by Christian Little View Post

      However, for small sites a shared hosting plan is usually just fine. If you are running a small website, it makes no sense to have a dedicated box since it will cost you more for the server than the website will make.
      I agree. I have some small sites targeting the UK but they are served from the US. I have no problems here.
      Signature

      Find Out What Really Works In Web Design
      Mobile Website Design | Website Design | QR Code Marketing

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3531283].message }}

Trending Topics