OUT-RANKING YOUR COMPETITORS VIA BACKLINKS - SEO TALK !!!

18 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Question to those who may have some experience in SEO/SEM:

Is it true that all you need to do is possess/obtain more backlinks for your site than what your competitor has assuming that you have already done your on-page optimization?

Example:
Lets say that you have a site that currently has only 55 backlinks and it has great on-page optimization. Then you have your competitors site who has 77 backlinks to their site. If you were to get 80+ high quality backlinks to your site which currently has only 55, will this page then out-rank your competitor who currently has 77 backlinks?

People say, to have high quality backlinks. What sites give you high quality backlinks? Do Social Media, Blogs, Article & Social Networking sites possess such high quality for backlinks or inbound links?

For example (any below & why):

Twitter
Facebook
Youtube
Ezineartilces
Wordpress
Weebly
Webs.com
Tumblr
Digg
Blogger
Hubspot
Hubpages
Xanga
Myspace
Squidoo
etc.
etc..


Do any of these sites give quality backlinks to your site or do you really have to ask site owners who are already ranking well for permission to post your sites link on their homepage etc.?

Would appreciate if people would join this discussion and post valuable advice.
#backlinks #competitors #outranking #seo #talk
  • Profile picture of the author Webster Logan
    I am certainly not an expert, so not really going to advise anything instead a small question.

    What is backlink? You just drop a link to a site, forum, blog, does that become backlink?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3555257].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Warriorman1
      Originally Posted by Webster Logan View Post

      I am certainly not an expert, so not really going to advise anything instead a small question.

      What is backlink? You just drop a link to a site, forum, blog, does that become backlink?

      No problem Webster. A backlink is a link coming from a site which redirects people from that site, back to your site. This shows google that your site is important and has value to the people whom may be talking about your site on another site.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3555281].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IcedSEO-CEO
    Banned
    having just higher backlinks isn't just going to miraculously outrank your competitor. some of my sites barely have up to 100 backlinks and they are outranking their competitors with over 1,000 backlinks on their site.

    They are many factors determining ranking though backlinks is a major part but my advise, don't wait up. Try to really go through every pinch on your competitors site and find out why he is better than you and with that you can use the devils tool from his own workshop and attack him but just before you do, just make sure you have something better to offer Google or they will just murder you themselves/
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3555323].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Warriorman1
      Originally Posted by IcedSEO-CEO View Post

      having just higher backlinks isn't just going to miraculously outrank your competitor. some of my sites barely have up to 100 backlinks and they are outranking their competitors with over 1,000 backlinks on their site.

      They are many factors determining ranking though backlinks is a major part but my advise, don't wait up. Try to really go through every pinch on your competitors site and find out why he is better than you and with that you can use the devils tool from his own workshop and attack him but just before you do, just make sure you have something better to offer Google or they will just murder you themselves/
      Well there are really 2 main factors when it comes to SEO as far as I've heard:

      1- Onpage Optimization
      2- Offpage Optimization

      Onpage Optimization mainly consists of having keyword density and proper placement of the keywords that you're trying to rank for.

      Offpage Optimization is submitting your site to directories and and getting tons of backlinks.

      I can't think of any other way to making my site place number 1 or even in the top 10 without doing both of these 2 main factors.

      If you're saying that Offpage Optimization (or backlinking) isn't good enough to outrank, then there is no true winning formula.

      Maybe your site is outranking the other sites with Authority backlinking due to that fact that your competitors may be lacking the backlinks of Authority sites.

      100,000,000 non-authority backlinks vs 500 Quality Authority Backlinks and the 500 wins.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3555417].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author IcedSEO-CEO
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Warriorman1 View Post

        Well there are really 2 main factors when it comes to SEO as far as I've heard:

        1- Onpage Optimization
        2- Offpage Optimization

        Onpage Optimization mainly consists of having keyword density and proper placement of the keywords that you're trying to rank for.

        Offpage Optimization is submitting your site to directories and and getting tons of backlinks.

        I can't think of any other way to making my site place number 1 or even in the top 10 without doing both of these 2 main factors.

        If you're saying that Offpage Optimization (or backlinking) isn't good enough to outrank, then there is no true winning formula.

        Maybe your site is outranking the other sites with Authority backlinking due to that fact that your competitors may be lacking the backlinks of Authority sites.

        100,000,000 non-authority backlinks vs 500 Quality Authority Backlinks and the 500 wins.
        lol but it's weird cos all my backlinks are coming from web 2.0 sites and PRO pages too just that the web 2.0 properties are high pr authority sites
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3555445].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jacked
    It is both a matter of quality and quantity. I always build tons more links than my competitors and find my self outranking them consistently, but at the same time, it is good to have some good quality links. Also, looking at some of the Google patents you can see linking structure also can be a big help. Usually link quality is only judged through 1 layer of links, so if you link tons of spam to a Web 2.0 and then the Web 2.0 to your site, you will be free of most of the spam to your site, but will receive a strong Web 2.0 link.
    Signature

    BEST LINKS AT THE BEST PRICE GUARANTEED

    HIGHLY REVIEWED - BEST PRICES - AMAZING SERVICE
    Comments, Profiles, Pyramids, Bookmarks, Article Submissions, Web 2.0 Creation, & Much MORE
    WF THREAD
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3555746].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
    No it doesn't necessarily mean you will outrank your competitors..

    You can have thousands and still not outrank them, because you don't know how many backlinks they have pointing to their backlinks! There is a lot to it, domain name, on page optimization, and having quality backlinks.

    There are so many ways to outrank someone. If they have one backlink from squidoo, how many backlinks does that squidoo page have? They could be getting a LOT of juice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3556249].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Warriorman1
      Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

      No it doesn't necessarily mean you will outrank your competitors..

      You can have thousands and still not outrank them, because you don't know how many backlinks they have pointing to their backlinks! There is a lot to it, domain name, on page optimization, and having quality backlinks.

      There are so many ways to outrank someone. If they have one backlink from squidoo, how many backlinks does that squidoo page have? They could be getting a LOT of juice.

      Yeah I know. I never said that the sites that are currently backlinking, won't have other sites backlinking to them.

      My main question overall was to ask how we can optimize the best amount of quality links. Which sites are best for authority sites, is the question.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3556287].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
        Originally Posted by Warriorman1 View Post

        Yeah I know. I never said that the sites that are currently backlinking, won't have other sites backlinking to them.

        My main question overall was to ask how we can optimize the best amount of quality links. Which sites are best for authority sites, is the question.
        Really, the important thing is traffic, not authority sites. What is the point in having backlinks on an authority site that doesn't get you traffic? I wouldn't really worry much about where you get them, what is considered an authority or not. Think about, will this backlink be useful to people, will I get traffic from it? If the answer is no, then why waste your time? So that eliminates profiles.

        A good option is web 2.0 sites and link them together, not a link wheel but a link push to increase the juice being passed through.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3556776].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kjblitz
    I say it also depends on the keyword that you use. I had once sent hundreds of links to a website of mine and yet, it is nowhere on the first ten pages of Google. Another one shot up to the first page with just 30 links. As far as quality backlinking is concerned, I suspect it has something to do with two factors: link velocity and how easy (or difficult) it is to get links from a site. Backlink Solutions got penalized because it was posting too frequently, a criterion that triggered the "link farm penalty" on Google's algo. Social bookmarks became worthless at one point because spammers were abusing it. After all, you only need to create a free account and start spamming them bookmarks.
    Signature
    Who Wants A FREE COURSE On How To Build An Online Business, Using A Simple 9 Step System?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3556274].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kjblitz
    And on page SEO counts as well...meta tags, h1, h2, content keyword and inanchor text...
    Signature
    Who Wants A FREE COURSE On How To Build An Online Business, Using A Simple 9 Step System?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3556279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Helphrey
    You've got some pretty good feedback thus far and I agree with the majority who has chimed in. I will add however that onsite SEO optimization involves a little more than just including your keywords here and there. And I think that since back links are such a huge topic of conversation, OnPage SEO kind of gets overlooked a bit. Keep in mind that it is an absolute priority that your Onsite SEO is setup properly if you want to beat out your competition A little extra advice...

    - Add a link to another page on your website somewhere in the content.
    - Add a link to a high authority website with high PR. Think NASA, Wiki, About.com...
    - Make sure the outgoing link has the rel="nofollow" tag
    - Add keywords in h1, h2 and h3 inside the content.
    - Place an image on your page with the ALT description being your main keywords.
    - Write quality content for humans and include keyword phrase in around 2-3% of your sites content using other "themed" keywords.
    - Use siloed inner linking structure (Important!)

    Those are just a few of the things that can help your site rank higher.

    The other side of the token is to make sure that you are picking up quality links as much as possible. The best links are dofollow links on the main page of a high authority website. You should also work on contacting high PR webmasters to see if they will allow you to include some quality content on their website...in exchange for a few links of course. Mostly you wont get a response, but if you play the numbers game correctly, you are sure to find a few people that do respond and that will allow you to place your unique articles on their website. Those links will be worth their weight in gold!

    Another piece of advice when trying to outrank your competition, use Yahoo Site Explorer or Back Link Watch to spy on their links. In doing so you will find that you too can get the same links as they do. Anyway, you will know a little bit more about what it will take to beat the competition just by seeing what types of sites are linking to it.

    You can also use Back Link Watch to look at your own links. Look for the links that have the highest PR because those are the ones that are helping your site rank more than any of the others. Copy those high PR links that you have and paste them on some notepad so that you can go back to these links and actually send more back links to these back links. That'll push their link juice even more so and will be huge for your website too!
    Signature
    My Advanced SEO Blog
    ---------->Search Engine Optimization Tips<----------
    Absolutely No BS!
    Rank #1 For Most Keyword Phrases
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3556331].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jacked
      Originally Posted by Matt Helphrey View Post

      You've got some pretty good feedback thus far and I agree with the majority who has chimed in. I will add however that onsite SEO optimization involves a little more than just including your keywords here and there. And I think that since back links are such a huge topic of conversation, OnPage SEO kind of gets overlooked a bit. Keep in mind that it is an absolute priority that your Onsite SEO is setup properly if you want to beat out your competition A little extra advice...

      - Add a link to another page on your website somewhere in the content.
      - Add a link to a high authority website with high PR. Think NASA, Wiki, About.com...
      - Make sure the outgoing link has the rel="nofollow" tag
      - Add keywords in h1, h2 and h3 inside the content.
      - Place an image on your page with the ALT description being your main keywords.
      - Write quality content for humans and include keyword phrase in around 2-3% of your sites content using other "themed" keywords.
      - Use siloed inner linking structure (Important!)

      Those are just a few of the things that can help your site rank higher.

      The other side of the token is to make sure that you are picking up quality links as much as possible. The best links are dofollow links on the main page of a high authority website. You should also work on contacting high PR webmasters to see if they will allow you to include some quality content on their website...in exchange for a few links of course. Mostly you wont get a response, but if you play the numbers game correctly, you are sure to find a few people that do respond and that will allow you to place your unique articles on their website. Those links will be worth their weight in gold!

      Another piece of advice when trying to outrank your competition, use Yahoo Site Explorer or Back Link Watch to spy on their links. In doing so you will find that you too can get the same links as they do. Anyway, you will know a little bit more about what it will take to beat the competition just by seeing what types of sites are linking to it.

      You can also use Back Link Watch to look at your own links. Look for the links that have the highest PR because those are the ones that are helping your site rank more than any of the others. Copy those high PR links that you have and paste them on some notepad so that you can go back to these links and actually send more back links to these back links. That'll push their link juice even more so and will be huge for your website too!
      Yes, listen to this guy.
      Signature

      BEST LINKS AT THE BEST PRICE GUARANTEED

      HIGHLY REVIEWED - BEST PRICES - AMAZING SERVICE
      Comments, Profiles, Pyramids, Bookmarks, Article Submissions, Web 2.0 Creation, & Much MORE
      WF THREAD
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3561672].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Webster Logan
        Some wonderful feedback, nearly answered all the little queries I had. How important is directory submissions, some of my friends it's out of fashion these days and not as useful as it used to be?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3570666].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author freight
      Originally Posted by Matt Helphrey View Post

      - Add a link to a high authority website with high PR. Think NASA, Wiki, About.com...
      - Make sure the outgoing link has the rel="nofollow" tag
      - Add keywords in h1, h2 and h3 inside the content.
      Matt - Some decent tips - I am glad I read through all the other info to get to the nasa tip - will try it out thanks Matt
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3570711].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    None of those are high quality backlinks.

    Try wikipedia.


    Originally Posted by Warriorman1 View Post


    Question to those who may have some experience in SEO/SEM:

    Is it true that all you need to do is possess/obtain more backlinks for your site than what your competitor has assuming that you have already done your on-page optimization?

    Example:
    Lets say that you have a site that currently has only 55 backlinks and it has great on-page optimization. Then you have your competitors site who has 77 backlinks to their site. If you were to get 80+ high quality backlinks to your site which currently has only 55, will this page then out-rank your competitor who currently has 77 backlinks?

    People say, to have high quality backlinks. What sites give you high quality backlinks? Do Social Media, Blogs, Article & Social Networking sites possess such high quality for backlinks or inbound links?

    For example (any below & why):

    Twitter
    Facebook
    Youtube
    Ezineartilces
    Wordpress
    Weebly
    Webs.com
    Tumblr
    Digg
    Blogger
    Hubspot
    Hubpages
    Xanga
    Myspace
    Squidoo
    etc.
    etc..


    Do any of these sites give quality backlinks to your site or do you really have to ask site owners who are already ranking well for permission to post your sites link on their homepage etc.?

    Would appreciate if people would join this discussion and post valuable advice.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3556830].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author freight
    Can someone give me the sample html code where the no follow attribute is in the code/link

    just want to make sure I am inserting right
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3570739].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Matt Helphrey
      Originally Posted by freight View Post

      Can someone give me the sample html code where the no follow attribute is in the code/link

      just want to make sure I am inserting right
      <a href="http://www.nasa.gov/" rel="nofollow">Your Keywords Here< / a >

      or if you want to mask the link...

      < a style="text-decoration:none;color:black;" href="http://nasa.gov" rel="nofollow">Your Keywords Here< / a >
      Signature
      My Advanced SEO Blog
      ---------->Search Engine Optimization Tips<----------
      Absolutely No BS!
      Rank #1 For Most Keyword Phrases
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3571108].message }}

Trending Topics