Just thought I'd "give back" a little and share one of my methods for finding keywords with a high search volume and low competition.
Just to give you an idea, one keyword I found had a Estimated traffic volume of 27 visitors/day with a competition of something like 900 in market samurai...I ranked #1 in a matter of days (google danced me to #5 for now but I'll be back up there soon)
There's actually 2 methods here, so here goes.
1. Capitalizing on Misspelled Words
Browse through a list of various medical conditions and pop the more difficult-to-spell words into market samurai, Google Keyword Tool, whatever.
You'll find that a lot of misspellings have a decent search volume and very low competition and low QUALITY competition.
Once you've found a potential Keyword, make sure to google it. Sometimes google autocorrects spelling, but sometimes it doesn't!
Every once in a while, the #1 Spot will be occupied by Wikipedia, but oftentimes, it won't be because of the misspelling.
You don't have to use medical terms, obviously, but these are naturally great for a few reasons:
- People are searching for information or a solution to a very personal problem
- This lends itself to providing quality content. You can't make a niche site based around HIV, for example, and not provide visitors with accurate, up to date information and still bear the sight of your own face in the mirror.
- Adsense is great about serving up medicine/health related ads that are very targeted.
- There are many health related CB products
- In my experience thus far, chances are good that there's an Exact Match Domain available
2. Medical Terms
This is similar to the above strategy, except you're searching for correctly spelled medical terms and then browsing through the long tail keyword suggestions related to that term.
The thing about medical terms, diseases and conditions is that people look for VERY specific information, e.g. "symptoms of carcinoma in women", etc.
While there are TONS of authority sites answering broader questions related to the term, chances are that there's no exact match domain focusing in on just one aspect of the problem specific to just one segment of the population.
Chances are also good that if there ARE sites answering that question, they are easily beatable for the #1 spot in Google.
Word of caution: Making niche sites about diseases is seriously freaking depressing and will turn you into a temporary hypochondriac! ..."OH man...I have that symptom...crap...that one too! I HAVE MALARIA!!!"
Well, there you have it!
Feel free to ask any questions and enjoy creating niche sites free of annoying competition!
Best of Luck