BMR (Build My Rank) Experiment

28 replies
  • SEO
  • |
After reading quite a few positive reviews on here, I've decided to take the plunge and purchase a subscription to BMR. As it is a paid subscription service, it's in my interest to make sure I put as much effort in as possible. This thread should keep my enthusiasm up, whilst hopefully acting as a case study for anyone who may be interested in BMR (like I was).

I will be attempting to write all the posts myself. This is mainly because I've had some pretty horrendous experiences with cheap outsourced content, and it's not worth investing in expensive copy for the sake of BMR (since they charge $2 per 150 words anyway). If BMR noticeably improves my ROI to the point where I can outsource BMR writers, I will probably do this as a time saving exercise, so I can focus on my next site.

As well as building backlinks with BMR, I will also occassionally be adding content to the site, which usually increases my visitor count slightly, without changing my main KW SERPs that much. To try and keep variables to a minimum, I will make a note of every time I add a page to the site.

Some info about the site I'll be using:

Age: 6 years old
Indexed Pages: 56
Site Explorer Backlinks: 405
Traffic: 9384 PVs per month

Targeted KW phrase information:

KW Phrase #1: 74,000 Global Exact Searches, 18,100 UK Exact Searches
KW Phrase #2: 6,600 Global Exact Searches, 1,300 UK Exact Searches

Current SERPs:

KW Phrase #1: Google UK - #11
KW Phrase #1: Google US - (not in top 100)

KW Phrase #2: Google UK - #1
KW Phrase #2: Google US - #16


Experiment paused due to lack of time!!
#bmr #build #build my rank #experiment #rank
  • Profile picture of the author pdrs
    I've had some excellent luck with BMR and would highly recommend it.

    There are a few tricks to it however. Don't over do it! A little goes a loooong ways and you can easily sandbox/get your site dancing.

    The key (as with any link building) is consistency. Don't start out thinking you can write 10 a day only to find that in a weeks time you get burnt out and then your site stops receiving those links, thats a surefire way to get sandboxed for awhile (done this a few times myself).

    If you think of it this way though it's pretty manageable.

    if you can commit to writing even 3 posts a day, over the course of 30 days that's 90 posts.

    1 BMR link per site/page every couple of days is enough to see really nice SERP increases for medium level terms (provided your onpage SEO is good of course).

    If you use BMR's scheduling feature writing 3 posts a day over 30 days can easily get steady/consistent links to 3 pages/sites over the course of 2 months which is usually more than enough time to see some good rank increases and judge whether or not the site will make any money.

    Don't just schedule them every other day either, schedule some every other day, some with 3 days in between, maybe a few twice a day to make it look natural.

    Don't forget to go out and get some nofollow links to balance out all these HIGH PR do follow links as well. No follow comments are great for this and if you do the same thing (3-5 a day) you'll do great.

    That's what I've been doing these days and it's working pretty good I must say!
    Signature
    RemoteControlHelicopterReviews.(com/net) - Up for sale! No reasonable offer refused. Great branding for a super hot niche!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3637709].message }}
    • Originally Posted by pdrs View Post

      I've had some excellent luck with BMR and would highly recommend it.

      There are a few tricks to it however. Don't over do it! A little goes a loooong ways and you can easily sandbox/get your site dancing.

      The key (as with any link building) is consistency. Don't start out thinking you can write 10 a day only to find that in a weeks time you get burnt out and then your site stops receiving those links, thats a surefire way to get sandboxed for awhile (done this a few times myself).

      If you think of it this way though it's pretty manageable.

      if you can commit to writing even 3 posts a day, over the course of 30 days that's 90 posts.

      1 BMR link per site/page every couple of days is enough to see really nice SERP increases for medium level terms (provided your onpage SEO is good of course).

      If you use BMR's scheduling feature writing 3 posts a day over 30 days can easily get steady/consistent links to 3 pages/sites over the course of 2 months which is usually more than enough time to see some good rank increases and judge whether or not the site will make any money.

      Don't just schedule them every other day either, schedule some every other day, some with 3 days in between, maybe a few twice a day to make it look natural.

      Don't forget to go out and get some nofollow links to balance out all these HIGH PR do follow links as well. No follow comments are great for this and if you do the same thing (3-5 a day) you'll do great.

      That's what I've been doing these days and it's working pretty good I must say!
      Talking about 'looking natural' and limiting your posts to every second or third day? hahaha wow.. That's terrible advice.

      you won't be 'sandboxed' for building 10 links with BMR and then stopping, that's a load.

      is it natural to only get one link every 2 or 3 days? or would it be natural that one day you might get a few, or even a few dozen, and other days you may only get one or two, or none, or maybe a few hundred or thousand from your new viral content?

      All this "look natural" and "stay consistent" stuff makes me laugh. What is natural and consistent, and why does that make google penalize you for getting links every day...?

      There's no such thing as natural back linking. And 'sandboxed' is a goof term. It's either de-indexed (you did something very bad) or its dancing, and it will come back higher than it was before it started dancing.

      Google doesn't punish you for not skipping a day every second day when it comes to building links.
      Signature
      Get ALL the SEO software YOU CANT afford:
      Ultimate SEO Pack
      SENuke & Grscraper, and dozens more! $40 a month!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3770641].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author pdrs
        Originally Posted by ExploringInfinity View Post

        Talking about 'looking natural' and limiting your posts to every second or third day? hahaha wow.. That's terrible advice.

        you won't be 'sandboxed' for building 10 links with BMR and then stopping, that's a load.

        is it natural to only get one link every 2 or 3 days? or would it be natural that one day you might get a few, or even a few dozen, and other days you may only get one or two, or none, or maybe a few hundred or thousand from your new viral content?

        All this "look natural" and "stay consistent" stuff makes me laugh. What is natural and consistent, and why does that make google penalize you for getting links every day...?

        There's no such thing as natural back linking. And 'sandboxed' is a goof term. It's either de-indexed (you did something very bad) or its dancing, and it will come back higher than it was before it started dancing.

        Google doesn't punish you for not skipping a day every second day when it comes to building links.
        Well, im just speaking from personal experience here. And the just of the post was that if you're going to write them yourself it's really easy to start out thinking you can do 10 per day, and do that for 3 or 4 days and then just give up.

        Whereas you'll have far more consistent results in terms of dancing or sandboxing or whatever term you took offence to if you took those 20 or 30 posts and scheduled them out over 30 days or so and worked on inner links etc...

        Unless you're buying posts BMR can be a bear and will burn your writing efforts out quick.

        You can laugh and be an @sshole if you want (i know your from SK so I'll cut you some slack ).

        I get consistent rankings on all of my amazon sites with 1 BMR link every other day or so, whereas when I first used the service and was writing 10 links to one site one day and 10 links to another site the next they ended up dancing all over the place for a couple of months.

        So why in the heck would I work harder writing more BMR posts just to watch my rankings dance for a few months, when I could sit back and watch steady traffic come in from a ranking that gradually moves up the first page... it makes sense to me.

        For me consistency works. Suck it.
        Signature
        RemoteControlHelicopterReviews.(com/net) - Up for sale! No reasonable offer refused. Great branding for a super hot niche!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3772756].message }}
        • Originally Posted by pdrs View Post

          Well, im just speaking from personal experience here. And the just of the post was that if you're going to write them yourself it's really easy to start out thinking you can do 10 per day, and do that for 3 or 4 days and then just give up.

          Whereas you'll have far more consistent results in terms of dancing or sandboxing or whatever term you took offence to if you took those 20 or 30 posts and scheduled them out over 30 days or so and worked on inner links etc...

          Unless you're buying posts BMR can be a bear and will burn your writing efforts out quick.

          You can laugh and be an @sshole if you want (i know your from SK so I'll cut you some slack ).

          I get consistent rankings on all of my amazon sites with 1 BMR link every other day or so, whereas when I first used the service and was writing 10 links to one site one day and 10 links to another site the next they ended up dancing all over the place for a couple of months.

          So why in the heck would I work harder writing more BMR posts just to watch my rankings dance for a few months, when I could sit back and watch steady traffic come in from a ranking that gradually moves up the first page... it makes sense to me.

          For me consistency works. Suck it.
          That's what the scheduling is for... and thats what article writers are for.

          a few links like that has never caused a dance for me, only hundreds or thousands of links has ever caused my pages to dance.

          Not trying to be an asshole, just trying to give the noobs something to work with.
          Signature
          Get ALL the SEO software YOU CANT afford:
          Ultimate SEO Pack
          SENuke & Grscraper, and dozens more! $40 a month!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3772918].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrWonton
    Thanks for the insights Pdrs. I've just been writing the odd post in my spare time today. I have submitted 3, and one has already been published on a PR4 blog. I have set the scheduling to random, so hopefully, even if my post submissions aren't consistent, the actual publications will be spread across the days.

    The site does have a good mix of backlinks (inc nofollow), but for the sake of this experiment I'd like to hold back on the other linkbuilding (any additional links I will list in this thread, regardless).
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3637813].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pdrs
    Cool man, I'm interested to see how it goes for you. thread subscribed
    Signature
    RemoteControlHelicopterReviews.(com/net) - Up for sale! No reasonable offer refused. Great branding for a super hot niche!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3637887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrWonton
    Unfortunately some of my freelance work got in the way of my posting, so I may have to rethink my 20 posts per weekend. I will try and atleast hit my 10 post free cap tomorrow!

    Thus far I have 5 posts submitted, 2 of which have been published and indexed. (One on a PR4 blog, and one on a PR5 blog). 2 are queued, meaning they have already been approved, and 1 I have only just submitted.

    Initial impressions:

    The interface is extremely user friendly.
    The approval time is very quick.
    I'm yet to see their over-strict approval process, supposedly meant to get you to outsource their writers.
    The blogs are very generalised (ie, not specific to niche). If they found a better way to categorise posts so they have increased relevancy with the sites they appear on, that would be great.

    So far I'm impressed.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3639750].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Saiddon
    Hi MrWonton,

    I have had great success with Build My Rank and it is one of the few services that I actively promote.

    One good way to make the most out of your posts is to include your target keyword as part of the post title. In case your chosen keyword is "contemporary baby cribs", post titles like "Shopping for Contemporary Baby Cribs" or "What to Look for in Contemporary Baby Cribs" can really make a big difference in not only ranking you higher but also the time it takes you to rank higher. This is because the allinurl and allintitle property of your BMR blog post will have your keywords thus making your post more relevant and nicely themed to the URL you are promoting.

    Although quite a number of BMR subsribers know this tip, I'm still dumbfounded when I look at the BMR blogs only to see that most of the posters still don't get it.

    This is a very interesting thread and I will keep a keen eye on it.

    Wishing you all the best in your goals.

    Said.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3642984].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ElectronPlumber
      That's funny, I've got a similar but much larger experiment going with BMR and three other link building services right now.

      Check out The Great SEO Link Building Service Experiment of 2011

      I used new sites for two main reasons:
      1) Aged sites like yours with lots of other backlinks can be heavily influenced by factors outside of BMR.
      2) If Google catches you buying links from BMR, they might deindex your nice aged site and you'll lose your current rankings.


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3643078].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Heavenstorm
        Originally Posted by ElectronPlumber View Post

        That's funny, I've got a similar but much larger experiment going with BMR and three other link building services right now.

        Check out The Great SEO Link Building Service Experiment of 2011

        I used new sites for two main reasons:
        1) Aged sites like yours with lots of other backlinks can be heavily influenced by factors outside of BMR.
        2) If Google catches you buying links from BMR, they might deindex your nice aged site and you'll lose your current rankings.

        hmm just asking... "buying" links from BMR and posting to multiple different article directories are they really different? Why will google deindex a site just for posting an article in BMR?
        Signature
        How To Lose Weight Fast
        -------------------------------------------------------
        GUARANTEED SEO GOOGLE PAGE 1 SEO SERVICES
        -------------------------------------------------------
        SEO | SEO SERVICES | ONLINE MARKETING
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3643383].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Saiddon
          Originally Posted by Heavenstorm View Post

          hmm just asking... "buying" links from BMR and posting to multiple different article directories are they really different? Why will google deindex a site just for posting an article in BMR?
          I second this view. In most cases Google will discount a "bought" link, if found. Deindexation is a punishment reserved for more serious crimes.

          That being said, the folks at BMR take network security and footprint issues very seriously.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3643529].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author rvrabel2002
        Originally Posted by ElectronPlumber View Post

        2) If Google catches you buying links from BMR, they might deindex your nice aged site and you'll lose your current rankings.

        Im not so sure about that Electron Plumber. Google discourages buying links, but unless you are buying them from bad neighborhoods I think you will be alright.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3770687].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrWonton
    Electron, it was actually your thread that prompted me to check out BMR. After doing some further research, I couldn't find any negative reviews, or people reporting a drop in SERPs, so I thought I'd give it a shot. The site doesn't currently make a huge amount at this moment in time, so theres not too much to lose. I wouldn't add one of my flagship sites to the system until I had proven to myself that it worked well.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3643457].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrWonton
    Day 2

    A small update before bed (I won't check SERPS until a week into the experiment).

    8 posts submitted
    5 posts published
    4 posts indexed
    0 posts rejected
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3644063].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seye
    good way to go dude,it seems bmr is the rave this days looking forward to your result
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3644156].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zach86
    I start using BMR today after reading someone else's test.
    Looking forward to your experiment.

    Originally Posted by Heavenstorm View Post

    hmm just asking... "buying" links from BMR and posting to multiple different article directories are they really different? Why will google deindex a site just for posting an article in BMR?
    Dude, you can't say "buying links from BMR", though you need to pay to join. Even Ezinearticles has paid members. It's different from paid links.

    The difference between BMR and other directories is BMR has more high value sites which provide high quality links.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3651830].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author niplag
      I too started using BMR. Whilst it helped with a new site aimed at local search, ( now on page one,) I also used it on an aged site already on page one for keywords. It dropped to the bottom of page one for a web search and disappeared from UK search where it was also page one. This happened only after two links. It could be a coincidence. Am thinking of using BMR on anothe aged site to see what happens. I checked the links coming in and they had page rank. If the sites were considered spamy then I doubt they would have rank, so I am really confused.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3671226].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Heavenstorm
      Originally Posted by zach86 View Post

      I start using BMR today after reading someone else's test.
      Looking forward to your experiment.



      Dude, you can't say "buying links from BMR", though you need to pay to join. Even Ezinearticles has paid members. It's different from paid links.

      The difference between BMR and other directories is BMR has more high value sites which provide high quality links.

      I am a member of BMR and I know its subscription based. If you read post #7 I am merely replying to electronplumber's post.
      Signature
      How To Lose Weight Fast
      -------------------------------------------------------
      GUARANTEED SEO GOOGLE PAGE 1 SEO SERVICES
      -------------------------------------------------------
      SEO | SEO SERVICES | ONLINE MARKETING
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3671300].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrWonton
    OK guys, here's my first update.

    So far I have 5 links for each KW phrase, (so 10 in total). I was going to jump straight in to the paid subscription, but after seeing a temporary dip in my SERPS, I held off. Now, it seems they've recovered and gained a few places. Not sure if this is down to BMR, or Google just being Google. Either way, I will be paying up and building more links to see if I can continue the trend.

    Current SERPs:

    KW Phrase #1: Google UK - #8 - (up 3 places)
    KW Phrase #1: Google US - not in top 100 - (unchanged)

    KW Phrase #2: Google UK - #1 - (unchanged)
    KW Phrase #2: Google US - #14 - (up 2 places)
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3688036].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MrWonton
    Hey guys,

    I haven't had a chance to revisit this, although I will be getting back on it quite heavily in May. The dayjob takes priority!

    Just to update, I haven't added more links since the 10 of the free trial. Here are the SERPS:

    Current SERPs:

    KW Phrase #1: Google UK - #8 - (unchanged since last update) - (up 3 since start)
    KW Phrase #1: Google US - not in top 100 - (unchanged since last update) - (unchanged since start)

    KW Phrase #2: Google UK - #1 - (unchanged since last update) - (unchanged since start)
    KW Phrase #2: Google US - #14 - (unchanged since last update) - (up 2 since start)

    So the gains in SERPs seem to be holding out thus far. I'm hopeful to further improve on them once I get back to my backlinking.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3736599].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author thebitbotdotcom
    Honestly, what is the difference between buying links and ad space???

    Just my opinion...
    Signature
    Do Your Copywriting Skills Suck?

    Let Us Help You Develop Your Writing Skills!

    Submit Guest Posts With [ TheBitBot.Com ]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3771342].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author akazo
    I have used BMR on 7 domains so far and 2 have been penalized. I built about 20 links to one site and maybe about 10 to the other... I would have to go look to get an exact count. The other 5 it helped to some degree.

    One site is particularly interesting because I targeted 2 keyword phrases and both are penalized - no where to be found. But the one phrase I never linked with BMR posts is ranking in the Google maps listing. If I never used BMR it would probably be the case with the other two search terms... lesson learned.

    Use BMR with caution. I think that Google is smart enough to know that a Woodstock GA auto repair shop (just an example, not mine) is not likely to have links from blogs in Russia and Iraq. And unless my exact BMR posts with links were copied, that is where BMR put them.

    I know somebody will say, what is the difference between spammy blog links and blasting articles to spammy sites and getting links? Well, I don't know. I just know what happened during my BMR experiment.

    With a little tweaking, BMR could have a great service. But I will be cancelling since I can't trust the links.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3771922].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Derek S
    man I seriously question the link building efforts of some people who are posting on here. If you think your site got "penalized" due to a few links from BMR or if just "10 links in one day from them" is making your site DANCE (really dude)... I don't think you are at the level to even use a service such as BMR.

    hell if it was really that easy to get a site penalized or even just dance around for "months" I would be using them every day to screw over my competitors in a heart beat.

    Fact is the entire "experiment" is a bum wrap seeing as the OP hardly has time for it LOL

    I have been using BMR for a month now with 4-6 links being built a day to my main money site ( just turned 2 years old with a PR of 5) and see the long term value of this service! I can post my related content almost instantly on hundreds of blogs with a one way contextual link, all for $60 a month... it's a no briner if you know the value of what you can do with all the pages you have created on individual IP's pointing to your site.

    Most of the magic will happen when you realize that it's not what the basic BMR links will do for you, but instead what you can do to your BMR links to make them REALLY work for you.

    If your going to test them out, do yourself a favor and use this only after your site is already ranking steadily and has some trust established... and stick with it CONSISTENTLY for at least 3 months - THEN come back and share your results with us in a single post LOL
    Signature

    --- Work Smart... Not Hard ---

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3773092].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MrWonton
      Originally Posted by Derek S View Post

      Fact is the entire "experiment" is a bum wrap seeing as the OP hardly has time for it LOL
      This is pretty much the case, I think I'll have to put the test on hiatus until I find more time. I'm actually leaving my day job next week, so I'm hoping to have much more time for personal projects.

      Just a final post before I let the thread sleep for a while.

      Total BMR posts:

      21

      Current SERPs:

      KW Phrase #1: Google UK - #2 - up 9 since start

      KW Phrase #1: Google US - not in top 100 - unchanged since start

      KW Phrase #2: Google UK - #3 - down 2 since start

      KW Phrase #2: Google US - #49 - down 39 since start

      Interestingly, the SERPs have improved for the much more competative KW phrase, but gone down for the not so competative phrase. My SERP rankings have been fluctuating massively since starting with BMR, so we'll see how they settle down after I've left them for a whille. It'll be great if I can atleast hold that #2 position. We'll see.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3803231].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Dee SEO Guy
      @Derek S -- Can you please elaborate?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4652884].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author arvin.buising
    Any updates? It would really be helpful. Thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4305479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chenkev
    I think I'm going to try BMR out for myself, but I have a question for anyone who's used it before.

    On their website it says you can promote 5 domains. What does this mean exactly? 5 URLS or unlimited URLs from 5 websites?
    Signature
    ---> From $0 to $200 a Day with EASY Google Rankings <---
    WSO Special DIMSALE
    -----> EXTREMELY Low Competition Keywords with HIGH Traffic+CPC <-----
    Brand New AdSense Site with Only TWO Posts Makes $10/Day!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4653389].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author swym
      Originally Posted by chenkev View Post

      I think I'm going to try BMR out for myself, but I have a question for anyone who's used it before.

      On their website it says you can promote 5 domains. What does this mean exactly? 5 URLS or unlimited URLs from 5 websites?
      You can have unlimited URLs from the 5 domains. Also, you can archive unused domains to make room for new ones. And you can always unarchive the domain to restart your link building easily.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4706265].message }}

Trending Topics