Why Not To Use Automated Link Building?

by SPC
72 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Why not use automated programs? If you cant get banned and only get your links devalued then why not just use automation? Im thinking of using both automation and manual link building.

I just dont get why people hate on it and say not to use it. I have an seo consultant who is pretty much useless and she tells me never to use automation. Well, if there are no consequences, then why in the heck not spam??
#automated #building #link
  • Profile picture of the author jhonsean
    There are some people using automated software tools but I would suggest to build links manually for quality results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3937995].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HKSEO Rotzee
    I wouldn't be in business very long if automatic link building didn't work. Truth is, it does. Quality manual links work as well but they are just harder to get. Its a lot easier to throw a 100 pennies at a site than it is to throw a dollar at it.....but they both pay for the same results.
    Signature
    Linklicious.me - Pings your links until Google crawls 'em. Drips out links at your rate.
    OneHourBacklinks.com - FAST link building service. Index, high PR, d0follow options.
    Drip Feed Links - Automated Link Building Service - SEO Blasts
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938053].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SPC
      Originally Posted by HKSEO Rotzee View Post

      I wouldn't be in business very long if automatic link building didn't work. Truth is, it does. Quality manual links work as well but they are just harder to get. Its a lot easier to throw a 100 pennies at a site than it is to throw a dollar at it.....but they both pay for the same results.
      Thank you that is what I was thinking!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938078].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jeremy Banks
        Auto link building works but if google notices a pattern they can discount the links. You might go from 5th page to 1st, then google notices the spam link network to your site and sends you back down to the 4th page.

        Some people think they got "penalized" for getting links in this manner but really it is just google not counting links that they used to.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938383].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SPC
    Ok but why not use automated programs then if you set them up automated and dont do anything and it cant hurt you? Then build links manual?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938054].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by SPC View Post

      Ok but why not use automated programs then if you set them up automated and dont do anything and it cant hurt you? Then build links manual?
      But it CAN hurt you.

      The reason a lot of people advise against using automated programs, is because they probably have clients, that pay pretty decent money, for their services. I can hire someone for $100 a week to blast out tons and tons of links, but it is worthless to me. A client paying $1,000-$10,000 a month on SEO, NEEDS a clean link profile. They definitely do NOT need to have random links from spammed out blogs or pointless profile links.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938417].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trytolearnmore
    Automated Link Building can hurt you, but so can knives and guns. It's really depends on the skills of the owner.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author atrbiz
    My clients pays me top dollars because I do all the work manually for them and of course I could go out use automated software and blast there site with thousands of junk links but that's complete BS.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938480].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jexo Advertising
    It's pretty hard to trick/fool Google now n days. Automated might work well for Yahoo/Bing but in the long run they end up discrediting some backlinks. It's better to work on quality and keeping things "realistic".
    Signature

    Jexo.com is a CPA based Affiliate Network. Affiliates receive 100% commission for their first month!
    Follow us at Twitter.com/JexoAdvertising
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938564].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author HKSEO Rotzee
      Originally Posted by Jexo Advertising View Post

      It's pretty hard to trick/fool Google now n days. Automated might work well for Yahoo/Bing but in the long run they end up discrediting some backlinks. It's better to work on quality and keeping things "realistic".
      How do YOU....yourself, manually tell if an individual blog comment, forum profile, blog post, article etc is spam or just someone with a poor grasp in English. Put it into words for me. You can't write a program to do it. If I make a fake facebook page, what program is going to tell if its really me and my pictures or not?

      What algorithm can prove whether or not this is a real comment.

      "Hey, thanks for the post!"
      Signature
      Linklicious.me - Pings your links until Google crawls 'em. Drips out links at your rate.
      OneHourBacklinks.com - FAST link building service. Index, high PR, d0follow options.
      Drip Feed Links - Automated Link Building Service - SEO Blasts
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3944854].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author packerfan
    Nothing wrong with using automation tools if you know what you're doing. It's hard to get relevant high PR links doing so, but there are a lot of good reasons to use automation.
    Signature

    Nothing to see here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938572].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Carl Pruitt
    Just playing Devil's advocate...

    In one niche in which I have a fairly successful site, there is a site which stands above me in the rankings. I have found many obviously automated and spammy links to that site which don't seem to hurt it at all.

    Indeed, if spammy automated links did hurt that site, why would I not just pay to have more of them directed toward that site and thus move my own site from 3rd to 1st?
    Signature

    Thanks!
    Carl Pruitt
    http://LongRunPublishing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938578].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author packerfan
      Originally Posted by Carl Pruitt View Post

      Just playing Devil's advocate...

      In one niche in which I have a fairly successful site, there is a site which stands above me in the rankings. I have found many obviously automated and spammy links to that site which don't seem to hurt it at all.

      Indeed, if spammy automated links did hurt that site, why would I not just pay to have more of them directed toward that site and thus move my own site from 3rd to 1st?
      Which is why most say it's very difficult to be hurt by what sites link to you. There just isn't a lot of value in those spammy links. There are better uses of time and money, but there are things you can do with tools like scrapebox that you could never do manually.
      Signature

      Nothing to see here

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938602].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dp40oz
    The only reasons to not use automated link building is if you don't like making money and if you don't want your site to rank higher. Those are the only reasons I can think of.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938617].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrtrabajo
    The best kind of backlinks are one you build and comment on like subjects and blogs. They are much more important than mass submitting randomly.
    Signature

    EXTREME WEALTH MECHANISM-Real and unbiased reviews and updates on the latest internet marketing programs and affiliate programs http://www.aextremewealthmechanism.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938634].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author packerfan
      Originally Posted by mrtrabajo View Post

      The best kind of backlinks are one you build and comment on like subjects and blogs. They are much more important than mass submitting randomly.
      There is software that can do this fine. Why do you think it matters if its automatic?
      Signature

      Nothing to see here

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3938731].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SPC
    Well like I said before. If it wont hurt you then might as well do it. Google can discredit my automated links for all i care because I will be doing manual high quality links as well. Since i will not be spending any time with the automated side, then why not?

    I really havent heard a good arguement for not using it. All these people that are against automoation just say "oh well google will penalize you by devaluing your links". Ya so what? That is why I will be doing other methods. I understand that if automation was the sole link building method I could see some sort of problem but other then that I am convinced there is nothing wrong with it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939113].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dburk
      Originally Posted by SPC View Post

      Well like I said before. If it wont hurt you then might as well do it. Google can discredit my automated links for all i care because I will be doing manual high quality links as well. Since i will not be spending any time with the automated side, then why not?

      I really havent heard a good arguement for not using it. All these people that are against automoation just say "oh well google will penalize you by devaluing your links". Ya so what? That is why I will be doing other methods. I understand that if automation was the sole link building method I could see some sort of problem but other then that I am convinced there is nothing wrong with it.
      Hi SPC,

      I waited a day to reply to your OP because I wanted to see how other Warriors were responding to your question. Now, if you don't mind, I will have my say.

      Your original question is somewhat ambiguous in that it really has two parts:
      • Automation vs. manual techniques.
      • Mass web spamming vs. meritorious link building

      Please allow me to clarify the premise of you question just a bit. You asked " If you cant get banned and only get your links devalued then why not just use automation?" Clearly you are asking "why not do massive web spamming?" and the "automation vs. manual" argument is only peripheral to your primary question. So, let me address that part of your question first.

      While it is true that your website will not be banned by Google, based on inbound links from web spam, I wouldn't go so far to say there is no harm done. First, you are harming the many sites where you are placing your web spam and let me say frankly, I think that is very rude of you, but that is just my opinion.

      Secondly, you are harming your own personal reputation. There are many groups and organization that will never allow you to join or associate with if you are known as a mass spammer. There are also small groups and individuals that will make it their personal mission to attack your website and any business associated with your website. And some of those cyber crime fighters are both brilliant and relentless. No one will feel sorry for you when you sites are hacked, hosting accounts are closed and you earn permanent banning from various services.

      If you think those things will never happen to you, I believe you are in for a rude awakening.

      Now to the manual vs. automation aspect of your question.

      Personally I am pro automation anywhere it makes since. There are certainly some things that are done better and more efficiently with human involvement, while some things are better when automated.

      Generally speaking, content creation is far superior when crafted by a skilled human. Auto-crafted content is generally very very bad. However there are tools that when used with human input and human editing that allow you to semi-automate high quality content creation and publishing.

      The bottom line is that quality has nothing to with whether automation is used or not, but more to do with how much human input and human editing was involved. Some of the worst content I have ever seen was created manually and some of the best content was created or published using automation.

      It appears you have already made your decision and are simply looking for ways to rationalize what must feel somehow wrong at some level of your conscious. For the sake of all who may be reading this thread let me appeal to your nobler senses. Seek a path that you can be proud to represent as your values.

      There are advantages to meritorious link building that you simply cannot get from mass web spam. For one, the search engines will not be actively seeking out your backlinks to completely devalue them. This allows you to build up a sustainable authority for your targeted keyword that spammers will never achieve. The spammers must go out each month and rebuild what was lost, month after month, else they fail. Spammers never reach the level of success that is possible for meritorious link builders because they must remain busy replacing what was devalued while the meritorious link builder can continue to build on their previous work.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3943868].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author xylement
    Some automatic link building will cause your site banned from various of search engine. I'd suggest manual link building as it will get you more quality backlink =)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939203].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrozlat
    I love reading unwarranted advice... people will always argue about automated vs manual... do follow vs no follow... etc... the truth is... do whatever works for you... if you have a #1 ranking because of manual link building... congrats... if you have a #1 ranking because of automated link building... congrats... if you have a #1 ranking because of a mixture of links... congrats!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939277].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SPC
      Originally Posted by mrozlat View Post

      I love reading unwarranted advice... people will always argue about automated vs manual... do follow vs no follow... etc... the truth is... do whatever works for you... if you have a #1 ranking because of manual link building... congrats... if you have a #1 ranking because of automated link building... congrats... if you have a #1 ranking because of a mixture of links... congrats!
      I feel like people just here something then regurgitate it. I totally agree with you.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author website12
    Banned
    You can not get hurt for bad backlinks. Then why would i not just do it to my competition. Automated backling works great and is faster.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939321].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jhnbrwn
    You can't rely on automated link building as it seems you running towards your destination with fast pace but blind folded, you may get fall at any spot. While manual link building is similar like you are walking towards your destiny, slower but safely.

    Regards
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939432].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SPC
      Originally Posted by jhnbrwn View Post

      You can't rely on automated link building as it seems you running towards your destination with fast pace but blind folded, you may get fall at any spot. While manual link building is similar like you are walking towards your destiny, slower but safely.

      Regards
      How is manuel link building safety? There is no repercussion to automation? Can you explain?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939445].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939462].message }}
  • Originally Posted by SPC View Post

    Why not use automated programs? If you cant get banned and only get your links devalued then why not just use automation? Im thinking of using both automation and manual link building.

    I just dont get why people hate on it and say not to use it. I have an seo consultant who is pretty much useless and she tells me never to use automation. Well, if there are no consequences, then why in the heck not spam??
    I use automation for everything that I can.

    Automation is money.

    You just have to have your wits about you and don't do anything retarded with it.

    Doing everything manually is just slower and much more frustrating but it can cost less. But really, it costs you more because you aren't making nearly as much money with your manual link building as you should be.
    Signature
    Get ALL the SEO software YOU CANT afford:
    Ultimate SEO Pack
    SENuke & Grscraper, and dozens more! $40 a month!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939467].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SPC
      Originally Posted by ExploringInfinity View Post

      I use automation for everything that I can.

      Automation is money.

      You just have to have your wits about you and don't do anything retarded with it.

      Doing everything manually is just slower and much more frustrating but it can cost less. But really, it costs you more because you aren't making nearly as much money with your manual link building as you should be.
      Thanks. So I am in the beginning stages of using automation. How would you do something retarded with automation? Just over spamming? Can you explain please....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939482].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lee Murray
    Not to say there isn't any, but I've personally never seen nor heard any real evidence to support the claim that automation will adversely affect your rankings.

    Of course, not all automated link building is created equal. While throw-away blog "spamming" may not hurt you, it may be an overall pointless avenue to go down... but I guess if it's cheap enough, why the hell not?

    I'm relatively new to the forum, so I don't know if we're permitted to discuss actual product names in here (could someone let me know please?), so I will just offer my personal opinion based on my own results, but without mentioning any product names...

    I have achieved really beautiful results using a fairly popular online backlinking service that links to my webpages via various social bookmark sites, blogs, and ezines. Then, it builds links TO those links, and to THOSE links, and so on. In other words, it builds a massive link web where my money pages become stronger, and the pages linking to my money pages become stronger, and ultimately the foundation becomes unshakable.

    I guess the point is, use intelligent automation that goes deep and slowly turns thread into rope, so to speak. Most of the trashy blog networks link to your site by a thread, and the thread almost always breaks before long.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939616].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SPC
      Originally Posted by Lee Murray View Post

      Not to say there isn't any, but I've personally never seen nor heard any real evidence to support the claim that automation will adversely affect your rankings.

      Of course, not all automated link building is created equal. While throw-away blog "spamming" may not hurt you, it may be an overall pointless avenue to go down... but I guess if it's cheap enough, why the hell not?

      I'm relatively new to the forum, so I don't know if we're permitted to discuss actual product names in here (could someone let me know please?), so I will just offer my personal opinion based on my own results, but without mentioning any product names...

      I have achieved really beautiful results using a fairly popular online backlinking service that links to my webpages via various social bookmark sites, blogs, and ezines. Then, it builds links TO those links, and to THOSE links, and so on. In other words, it builds a massive link web where my money pages become stronger, and the pages linking to my money pages become stronger, and ultimately the foundation becomes unshakable.

      I guess the point is, use intelligent automation that goes deep and slowly turns thread into rope, so to speak. Most of the trashy blog networks link to your site by a thread, and the thread almost always breaks before long.
      Hey! You are allowed to post names of products. WHat program do you use? I am looking to find some good automation programs and I am a newbie when it comes to automation.

      Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939641].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Lee Murray
        Originally Posted by SPC View Post

        Hey! You are allowed to post names of products. WHat program do you use? I am looking to find some good automation programs and I am a newbie when it comes to automation.

        Thanks!
        In that case, I'll recommend the Link Juicer ALL DAY LONG! It takes a little time to build up traction. Stay with it for 2 or 3 months to really start seeing its power come to fruition. There is some initial setup involved on your part. You have to write a blog post in spintax and select the number of links you want going to each webpage, etc.

        It's actually pretty tricky to explain how the program works. You should hop on YouTube and type in "the Link Juicer tutorial" to really see it in action. It's $47 a month, and in my opinion it's among the very best backlinking tools out there... easily the best in its price range!

        Hope this helps.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939749].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author SPC
          Originally Posted by Lee Murray View Post

          In that case, I'll recommend the Link Juicer ALL DAY LONG! It takes a little time to build up traction. Stay with it for 2 or 3 months to really start seeing its power come to fruition. There is some initial setup involved on your part. You have to write a blog post in spintax and select the number of links you want going to each webpage, etc.

          It's actually pretty tricky to explain how the program works. You should hop on YouTube and type in "the Link Juicer tutorial" to really see it in action. It's $47 a month, and in my opinion it's among the very best backlinking tools out there... easily the best in its price range!

          Hope this helps.
          I will definitely check it out. Thanks so much!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939766].message }}
  • Originally Posted by SPC View Post

    Why not use automated programs? If you cant get banned and only get your links devalued then why not just use automation? Im thinking of using both automation and manual link building.

    I just dont get why people hate on it and say not to use it. I have an seo consultant who is pretty much useless and she tells me never to use automation. Well, if there are no consequences, then why in the heck not spam??
    Automated programs, like XRumer, create backlinks that Work. There is no logical reason not to use them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Roberto L
    If I only add 5 links manually per day, then 50 links suddently in one day with automachines, what will happen?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939787].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kael41
    You can do automation AND quality backlinks at the same time. No one says you had to do what everyone else is doing. Find your own backlink sites and build your OWN lists up to use with your automation software. That's what is key in my opinion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3939791].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vvsingh
    Automated tools can get you banned or penalized. After the recent panda update it is crucial that you link to healthy neighbors or websites which good content, page rank, limited extenal links etc. A good link building expert manually verify all the criteria and then put link. On the hand link building software can put links on bad neioghbours and you can get penalized.
    Signature

    SEO Corporation packages customized just for small businesses. For Best SEO Services visit us at WTC Noida Price Panchsheel Pratishtha Dasnac Jewel of Noida

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3940033].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SPC
      Originally Posted by vvsingh View Post

      Automated tools can get you banned or penalized. After the recent panda update it is crucial that you link to healthy neighbors or websites which good content, page rank, limited extenal links etc. A good link building expert manually verify all the criteria and then put link. On the hand link building software can put links on bad neioghbours and you can get penalized.
      O really? did you read this somewhere or are you just saying what you have overheard from other people? Great insight VVSNGH
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3940559].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lee Murray
      Originally Posted by vvsingh View Post

      Automated tools can get you banned or penalized. After the recent panda update it is crucial that you link to healthy neighbors or websites which good content, page rank, limited extenal links etc. A good link building expert manually verify all the criteria and then put link. On the hand link building software can put links on bad neioghbours and you can get penalized.
      Can you point me to any evidence that supports this claim? Thanks.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3943007].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author InTheMaking
        iAmNameless, I get that your into the total "white hat" and build all your backlinks manually but you shouldn't be tearing down how automated softwares don't work, or the trouble that comes with them.

        The automated software that you use is as good as the guy behind the software, if your smart you should have no problem with penalties, sandboxed, etc.

        I've been using automated softwares and I've achieved great results, why? Because I know how to use the softwares.

        Theres no way I'd ever be able to expand as fast as I have and be making what I am today without the softwares.

        If you've never given them a try, you have no right to say they don't work.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3943941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author glendamulvahill
    i am using both manually and automation to speed up my process and it works awesome
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3940092].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author addyj672
    Search engine don't like automated backlinking. If you get any idea about it they put your website in sandbox. That's why keep backlinking manual and very natural and slow so search engine don't get idea of automated backlinking...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3940650].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SPC
      Originally Posted by addyj672 View Post

      Search engine don't like automated backlinking. If you get any idea about it they put your website in sandbox. That's why keep backlinking manual and very natural and slow so search engine don't get idea of automated backlinking...
      Wow! Thanks for the great insight! Do you do SEO for a living? I would love to hire you!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3941366].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tylos
    We hat automated. Bcz The automated software will never give's you to what your looking for in that particular site or particular niche, and it's worth less for google
    Signature
    Tylos a Cleaning Company in Dubai
    Maid Services in Dubai | Office Cleaning Dubai

    keeps you up to date on the latest developments of the forex markets by Forex
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3940673].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SPC
    Originally Posted by DIGITALCHAMELEON View Post

    probably it can hurt my site, i rather use manual link building for a better and lasting result.
    O great thanks for the insight! You really know your stuff! Can you help me with my SEO please?????
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3941378].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author businessbanking
      Automated link building just complete the submission task. It also not give the preference to quality site.
      If Google knows about this type of link building, it may be banned to your site.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3941536].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author chinmokuyuuki
        I just love all those 'you might get banned' responses. I hope those people stay ignorant for the rest of their lives.

        In the end a backlinks is still a backlink. It doesn't matter how its made. People thinking otherwise should go back to their cave and earn pennies like they are doing now. In time that they build 10 manual so called 'quality' backlinks I would have made over thousands.

        It works. And as long as It works I will keep on doing it and providing it for other people.
        Signature
        Get Quality Backlinks for a Low Price! - BacklinkCenter.net Your one stop shop for backlinks. Over 400 Forum Profile Links / 130 Blog Comments for €1,- !
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3941588].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
          Originally Posted by chinmokuyuuki View Post

          I just love all those 'you might get banned' responses. I hope those people stay ignorant for the rest of their lives.

          In the end a backlinks is still a backlink. It doesn't matter how its made. People thinking otherwise should go back to their cave and earn pennies like they are doing now. In time that they build 10 manual so called 'quality' backlinks I would have made over thousands.

          It works. And as long as It works I will keep on doing it and providing it for other people.
          Says the guy offering a link building service. Your 1,000 blog comments and 20,000 profile links mean absolutely nothing to me. I can build 10-20 that would outweigh all of that. Plus, a good press release that gets syndicated can provide anywhere from 1,000-20,000 backlinks over night, all from highly trusted, NEWS sites.

          THE REASON WHY AUTOMATED LINKS CAN HURT YOU!

          It isn't a matter of just starting over, or building more links. It isn't just about links being discredited. The way the algorithm works, is it likes to see links, so that is great motivation to automate right? Well, it also likes to see those links stay for a long period of time, which many automated ways require spamming(not all, but many) and spamming isn't a way to keep your links up. When the links get deleted, google comes back to make sure they are still there, or to recalculate the OBL... once the OBL is higher, or if the links are no longer there, then that HURTS you.

          But lets get to the point here....

          1. You will raise flags from google if not done right... and don't even try to tell me you are an expert, because I have tested out about 15 link services here, for different sites, and nearly immediately sites were flagged for automation. I still use automation for some things, articles, bookmarks, press releases, etc. but I will never use automation in the form of blog comment spam, or profile spam again... at least not directly to my websites. That is a key point... not directly... to the websites, LOL.

          2.
          I wouldn't really worry about automation though, because really, all that is needed is some strong quality back links, and a reconsideration request with google and then we're back in action. The problem with that is, and the reason why automation maybe indrectly hurts you, is when you have backlinks, and lose them(or devalued) then that is seen more as a negative with google and that directly effects your Trust rank with the big G.

          So.. The conclusion is that automation is not going to be the reason why you get banned, or penalized, or other horrible and awful things happen. It is what happens after the automation that you need to worry about!

          Once you buy a link service, be prepared to buy those link steadily for the remaining life of your website
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3942817].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ARVolund
            You make a few good points. (This coming from someone who does a lot of automation.

            One thing to keep in mind is Google does not know how links were created. All they see is the link itself they have no way of knowing whether it was made by hand or created by a bot. Done properly quality links can be made by automation. Maybe not quite as good as manually but pretty close and depending on where the link is being placed that is going to be good enough.



            It is not just all about a total number of links.

            1. Link age is important
            2. The text surrounding your links is important
            3. The PR of both the site and page where your links are is important
            4. Link velocity is important.

            Lets take link velocity first as that is where most people make the biggest mistake when it comes to automating their backlinks.

            Look at it from Google's perspective.

            Think about those sites/pages that go viral for one reason or another, they get a lot of links all at one time and shoot up to the top of the rankings. Google sees all of those incoming links and decides that the site is important so ranks it well.

            After the site has had its 15 minutes of fame people stop linking to it and even start to remove the existing links because they realize that the site is really not that cool/funny/etc anymore. Google notices this and decides that the site is not important any longer and its rankings drop.

            When you build a huge amount of links and then stop this is the scenario you are emulating. It is not the huge number of links that hurt you but the negative link velocity when you stopped.

            How about link age? Everything I have seen tells me that Google gives a link more credit the longer it exists. If you think about it it makes sense. A link solid link that has been around awhile should be worth more than a fly by night link that has only existed for a week. That link you have now that is only a week old will be worth more in six months or a year.

            Links that are included in text seem to work better as well. It does not seem to have to be a lot to make a difference. Even profile links will do you more good if you bury the link in 3 or 4 sentences rather than having just your link without any surrounding text.

            This one seems even more important after the last couple of updates. Google seems to be looking for and giving more weight to links in content than they were in the past.

            PR is important as well. Think of PR as a measure of trust from Google. Think about if you were looking for advice on whether or not to buy something. You get advice from your neighbor that you have known for years and some advice from some stranger you have never met before. Which one are you gong to give more weight? In Google's eyes that PR 5 is the next door neighbor and the PR0 is the stranger. When you get a link from a page it is the same as that page telling Google that it thinks your site is worth looking at and it gives more weight to the PR 5 because it knows and trusts it more than the stranger down the road.

            As far as OBL's go I do not think it is really a numbers game as much as what kinds of links are on the page. I would rather have a link on a page with 200 OBL's going to decent sites instead of having my link on a page with 50 links going to porn and spammy sites.

            Automation is your friend if you use it well. Think about it we use automation in almost every facet of our lives. We drive cars, use washing machines, dishwashers, power tools etc. Link building is no different and if you use the tools properly they will help you a lot.

            You only have so much time in a day so you want to get the most ROI on your as you can. This means you need to spend it doing thing that are going to make the most difference. You basically can do things three ways, you can do manual, you can automate, or you can outsource. Personally I believe that mixing all three of them together gives the best results.

            Lets take blog commenting for instance. Lets say I have a large list of PR1 -PR7 blogs that I want to put comments on. I would break into three sections

            PR6 and PR7--These I would do manually
            PR2 -PR5--These I would outsource
            PR1--These I would automate.

            This would allow me to get the best ROI on my time and that is the name of the game. You can do all those PR1 links by hand but the amount of good you get from each one will not make it worth doing. Only proper automation puts the ROI on those links in the black.







            Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

            Says the guy offering a link building service. Your 1,000 blog comments and 20,000 profile links mean absolutely nothing to me. I can build 10-20 that would outweigh all of that. Plus, a good press release that gets syndicated can provide anywhere from 1,000-20,000 backlinks over night, all from highly trusted, NEWS sites.

            THE REASON WHY AUTOMATED LINKS CAN HURT YOU!

            It isn't a matter of just starting over, or building more links. It isn't just about links being discredited. The way the algorithm works, is it likes to see links, so that is great motivation to automate right? Well, it also likes to see those links stay for a long period of time, which many automated ways require spamming(not all, but many) and spamming isn't a way to keep your links up. When the links get deleted, google comes back to make sure they are still there, or to recalculate the OBL... once the OBL is higher, or if the links are no longer there, then that HURTS you.

            But lets get to the point here....

            1. You will raise flags from google if not done right... and don't even try to tell me you are an expert, because I have tested out about 15 link services here, for different sites, and nearly immediately sites were flagged for automation. I still use automation for some things, articles, bookmarks, press releases, etc. but I will never use automation in the form of blog comment spam, or profile spam again... at least not directly to my websites. That is a key point... not directly... to the websites, LOL.

            2.
            I wouldn't really worry about automation though, because really, all that is needed is some strong quality back links, and a reconsideration request with google and then we're back in action. The problem with that is, and the reason why automation maybe indrectly hurts you, is when you have backlinks, and lose them(or devalued) then that is seen more as a negative with google and that directly effects your Trust rank with the big G.

            So.. The conclusion is that automation is not going to be the reason why you get banned, or penalized, or other horrible and awful things happen. It is what happens after the automation that you need to worry about!

            Once you buy a link service, be prepared to buy those link steadily for the remaining life of your website
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3943101].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Lee Murray
            Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

            Says the guy offering a link building service. Your 1,000 blog comments and 20,000 profile links mean absolutely nothing to me. I can build 10-20 that would outweigh all of that. Plus, a good press release that gets syndicated can provide anywhere from 1,000-20,000 backlinks over night, all from highly trusted, NEWS sites.

            THE REASON WHY AUTOMATED LINKS CAN HURT YOU!

            It isn't a matter of just starting over, or building more links. It isn't just about links being discredited. The way the algorithm works, is it likes to see links, so that is great motivation to automate right? Well, it also likes to see those links stay for a long period of time, which many automated ways require spamming(not all, but many) and spamming isn't a way to keep your links up. When the links get deleted, google comes back to make sure they are still there, or to recalculate the OBL... once the OBL is higher, or if the links are no longer there, then that HURTS you.

            But lets get to the point here....

            1. You will raise flags from google if not done right... and don't even try to tell me you are an expert, because I have tested out about 15 link services here, for different sites, and nearly immediately sites were flagged for automation. I still use automation for some things, articles, bookmarks, press releases, etc. but I will never use automation in the form of blog comment spam, or profile spam again... at least not directly to my websites. That is a key point... not directly... to the websites, LOL.

            2.
            I wouldn't really worry about automation though, because really, all that is needed is some strong quality back links, and a reconsideration request with google and then we're back in action. The problem with that is, and the reason why automation maybe indrectly hurts you, is when you have backlinks, and lose them(or devalued) then that is seen more as a negative with google and that directly effects your Trust rank with the big G.

            So.. The conclusion is that automation is not going to be the reason why you get banned, or penalized, or other horrible and awful things happen. It is what happens after the automation that you need to worry about!

            Once you buy a link service, be prepared to buy those link steadily for the remaining life of your website
            But here's the thing...

            If any type of backlinking can damage your credibility with Google, regardless if it comes as the result of a depreciation in quantity or otherwise, then why the hell can't we all just use these tactics AGAINST our competition?

            This seems to me to be a question which is deeply rooted in just plain old common sense. I've seen it posed numerous times by multiple IMs and I have yet to see a convincing answer that would compel me to think it can do much, if any damage.

            In other words, if what you have suggested truly is the way it goes down, then I should be able to build hundreds of thousands of crap links to my competitors' sites, knowing full-well that the majority of these links will either disappear or lose significant value, and laugh heartily as my competition plummets from Grace and does a nosedive into search engine oblivion.

            Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing a point here... rather, I'm asking a question based on an argument I have heard from other marketers who are much smarter than myself. I am just curious how you would refute this argument. It seems like air-tight logic to me, but I've not yet adopted it as an absolute belief.

            Yet.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3943962].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author SPC
            Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

            Says the guy offering a link building service. Your 1,000 blog comments and 20,000 profile links mean absolutely nothing to me. I can build 10-20 that would outweigh all of that. Plus, a good press release that gets syndicated can provide anywhere from 1,000-20,000 backlinks over night, all from highly trusted, NEWS sites.

            THE REASON WHY AUTOMATED LINKS CAN HURT YOU!

            It isn't a matter of just starting over, or building more links. It isn't just about links being discredited. The way the algorithm works, is it likes to see links, so that is great motivation to automate right? Well, it also likes to see those links stay for a long period of time, which many automated ways require spamming(not all, but many) and spamming isn't a way to keep your links up. When the links get deleted, google comes back to make sure they are still there, or to recalculate the OBL... once the OBL is higher, or if the links are no longer there, then that HURTS you.

            But lets get to the point here....

            1. You will raise flags from google if not done right... and don't even try to tell me you are an expert, because I have tested out about 15 link services here, for different sites, and nearly immediately sites were flagged for automation. I still use automation for some things, articles, bookmarks, press releases, etc. but I will never use automation in the form of blog comment spam, or profile spam again... at least not directly to my websites. That is a key point... not directly... to the websites, LOL.

            2.
            I wouldn't really worry about automation though, because really, all that is needed is some strong quality back links, and a reconsideration request with google and then we're back in action. The problem with that is, and the reason why automation maybe indrectly hurts you, is when you have backlinks, and lose them(or devalued) then that is seen more as a negative with google and that directly effects your Trust rank with the big G.

            So.. The conclusion is that automation is not going to be the reason why you get banned, or penalized, or other horrible and awful things happen. It is what happens after the automation that you need to worry about!

            Once you buy a link service, be prepared to buy those link steadily for the remaining life of your website
            Im sorry but you say it will raise a red flag to google and that you can lose your trust with google, what does this actually mean? The very worse that could happen is that I would lose the value of all those automated links. Woaaahhh!!! Now, that is scary isnt it?

            Who cares. People that do automated link building know this. Your argument seems like a bunch of hear say. Google will not drop your site out of the index. It just devalues your links.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3944298].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
              Originally Posted by SPC View Post

              Im sorry but you say it will raise a red flag to google and that you can lose your trust with google, what does this actually mean? The very worse that could happen is that I would lose the value of all those automated links. Woaaahhh!!! Now, that is scary isnt it?

              Who cares. People that do automated link building know this. Your argument seems like a bunch of hear say. Google will not drop your site out of the index. It just devalues your links.
              LOL, I suggest you go ahead and do it and I'll see you back here in a couple months asking why your site was deindexed. There are many factors involved, and like I said, there are things I still automate, but it is selective automation.

              For those successful with automating links, they will ADMIT to you that it is not flawless, and they know that you can be hit hard with a penalty. They are also very careful in their automation, and they know that you need to keep building a steady amount.

              Instead of trying to be a smart ass when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, try doing a bit of research, and look at others experience. There is no heresy involved, just experience. WHOAAAAH!! It's pretty hard to think for yourself, isn't it? Scary.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3944926].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author SPC
                [DELETED]
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3945900].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
                  Originally Posted by SPC View Post

                  Well you sound like you have no idea what you are talking about so I'll just leave it at that. Maybe you should find another thread where you can talk to other people with the same intelligence level. Wooooah!!
                  LOL...

                  Okay.... Since you want to show off for your pretend internet friends, and claim I have no idea what I'm talking about, when I have released a WSO on the subject and have sold hundreds of copies, when this is what I do for a living, and you... obviously know better than me, lets just break this down.

                  1. You don't think penalties exist with google.
                  2. 2 weeks ago, you didn't know how to get a link indexed.
                  3. You asked if it is important to get web 2.0 backlinks, and preceded to ask, How?
                  4. You need to fix the Jquery and PHP in your website, you have a vulnerability for an SQL injection.
                  5. You didn't know why your social bookmarks weren't showing in yahoo site explorer.

                  You're right... I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. You are the expert, and have godly discernment in knowing who is knowledgeable and who is not. Kudos to you.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3946849].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author SPC
                    Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

                    LOL...

                    Okay.... Since you want to show off for your pretend internet friends, and claim I have no idea what I'm talking about, when I have released a WSO on the subject and have sold hundreds of copies, when this is what I do for a living, and you... obviously know better than me, lets just break this down.

                    1. You don't think penalties exist with google.
                    2. 2 weeks ago, you didn't know how to get a link indexed.
                    3. You asked if it is important to get web 2.0 backlinks, and preceded to ask, How?
                    4. You need to fix the Jquery and PHP in your website, you have a vulnerability for an SQL injection.
                    5. You didn't know why your social bookmarks weren't showing in yahoo site explorer.

                    You're right... I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. You are the expert, and have godly discernment in knowing who is knowledgeable and who is not. Kudos to you.
                    I was jk duh.. Trying to help out the newbies. Sorry if Im just a nice guy trying to write some threads for some poor newbies.
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3947385].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author InTheMaking
                      lol iAmNameless, I can honestly say I started SEO and IM altogether at the end of february. That being said, I'm new and I don't know a whole lot and I know exactly why I've been penalized for certain websites and I'm laughing because I got those penalties by doing backlinking manually and haven't touched a penalty doing it automated.

                      you can babble on and on but in the end you probably promote every one of your clients websites with the exact automation I use on mine. So quit trying to promote your amazing "manual backlinking" projects because as you said, you do more automation then I do. Right? Because your the best there is around here and you must know everything. Congrats to you.

                      All I'm trying to say is automation has nothing to do with getting penalties, It's all up to the person using these automated softwares. Theres no difference in manually blasting out 500 links one day and nothing for the next week then there is doing the exact same thing with these softwares.
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3947413].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author SPC
                        Originally Posted by InTheMaking View Post

                        lol iAmNameless, I can honestly say I started SEO and IM altogether at the end of february. That being said, I'm new and I don't know a whole lot and I know exactly why I've been penalized for certain websites and I'm laughing because I got those penalties by doing backlinking manually and haven't touched a penalty doing it automated.

                        you can babble on and on but in the end you probably promote every one of your clients websites with the exact automation I use on mine. So quit trying to promote your amazing "manual backlinking" projects because as you said, you do more automation then I do. Right? Because your the best there is around here and you must know everything. Congrats to you.

                        All I'm trying to say is automation has nothing to do with getting penalties, It's all up to the person using these automated softwares. Theres no difference in manually blasting out 500 links one day and nothing for the next week then there is doing the exact same thing with these softwares.
                        Haha.. I really just laughed out loud.
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3947704].message }}
                        • The more automation I use, the more money I make.

                          Keep building your manual links, and while you're slaving away, I'll be busy cashing checks.
                          Signature
                          Get ALL the SEO software YOU CANT afford:
                          Ultimate SEO Pack
                          SENuke & Grscraper, and dozens more! $40 a month!
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3947748].message }}
                          • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
                            Originally Posted by SPC View Post

                            I was jk duh.. Trying to help out the newbies. Sorry if Im just a nice guy trying to write some threads for some poor newbies.
                            You are one of the poor newbies. It is great that you're starting threads, but threads like these aren't good for new members, or people browsing the forum. They will come in.... end up buying 30K links from someone without proper knowledge, and end up screwing themselves over.

                            Automation is great, when done right, and when the person automating is smart about it.... meaning no spam. EVEN THEN, there is still a risk. I really could care less who blasts out 1 million links... Doesn't hurt my feelings, I'll keep doing my own thing and have amazing success.

                            Originally Posted by InTheMaking View Post

                            lol iAmNameless, I can honestly say I started SEO and IM altogether at the end of february. That being said, I'm new and I don't know a whole lot and I know exactly why I've been penalized for certain websites and I'm laughing because I got those penalties by doing backlinking manually and haven't touched a penalty doing it automated.

                            you can babble on and on but in the end you probably promote every one of your clients websites with the exact automation I use on mine. So quit trying to promote your amazing "manual backlinking" projects because as you said, you do more automation then I do. Right? Because your the best there is around here and you must know everything. Congrats to you.

                            All I'm trying to say is automation has nothing to do with getting penalties, It's all up to the person using these automated softwares. Theres no difference in manually blasting out 500 links one day and nothing for the next week then there is doing the exact same thing with these softwares.
                            But automation DOES have something to do with getting penalties, and there is a specific filter Google has to determine that. How? I don't know, I don't work for google, but I have seen it.

                            I use automation in safe ways, such as creating different accounts for press releases, articles, bookmarks, emails, etc. Using automation for spamming blog comments or profile links can flag you for using automated link building, there is a SPECIFIC PENALTY. This is not speculation, this is no conspiracy, it is FACT.

                            Now, I agree with you, that it depends on the person using it. You have to understand the majority of people haven't ever done a press release... most can barely write on a forum, let alone do article marketing. Most will spam blogs with "nice post" blah blah blah. The IP's are easily available, obviously you will need to be using proxies, but the reality of this is that even if you think you are doing everything right, you can be hit with a penalty.

                            I don't expect you to know all this, and I really don't care if you believe it. This is how I make money, pay bills, and support my bad habits. Once you get serious enough into this, you will learn by experience. I'm not just saying what my theory is, I'm talking about real experience on a multitude of websites.

                            You saying that you know why you have a penalty, and it was do to manual backlinking, just isn't true. There are 3 penalties(at least known) with google, and none of them have anything to do with manual backlinking. Now, just like with automated backlinking, if you are doing manual backlinking and they eventually go away, and you stop building then of course you are going to suffer. That isn't a penalty though, that is called the SERPs and different indexing with the different data centers.

                            When I said I do more automation than you... I don't do automated profile links, I don't do automated blog comments, or automating spam... I automate account creation and some submissions. I have a LOT of clients, and when you have a client that pays a lot of money you need to make sure you build RELEVANT, QUALITY, backlinks.

                            You guys can continue on worrying about your $1,000-$2,000 a month adsense sites, and spam out irrelevance, but sooner or later you will fall. It is only a matter of time, unless you KNOW what you're doing. Anyone doing this less than 2 years, probably doesn't know enough about this. There are exceptions, but come on now... doing this for only a few months, you've been around for one algo rollout..In no way am I saying that as an insult, you have to start somewhere, but you definitely have a lot of learning to do. I went years before finally believing that there were any penalties. I didn't believe there was, until I actually saw it happen to hundreds of my own sites, so I had to adapt.

                            For those being smart with automation, well, I don't need to say anything. They all know the real possibility of getting hit by the Big G, even though they are at less risk than some of the other people in this thread. If you are making money automating everything, GREAT! Good job, but make sure you diversify, or you will end up screwed.
                            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3947821].message }}
                            • Profile picture of the author SPC
                              Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

                              You are one of the poor newbies. It is great that you're starting threads, but threads like these aren't good for new members, or people browsing the forum. They will come in.... end up buying 30K links from someone without proper knowledge, and end up screwing themselves over.

                              Automation is great, when done right, and when the person automating is smart about it.... meaning no spam. EVEN THEN, there is still a risk. I really could care less who blasts out 1 million links... Doesn't hurt my feelings, I'll keep doing my own thing and have amazing success.



                              But automation DOES have something to do with getting penalties, and there is a specific filter Google has to determine that. How? I don't know, I don't work for google, but I have seen it.

                              I use automation in safe ways, such as creating different accounts for press releases, articles, bookmarks, emails, etc. Using automation for spamming blog comments or profile links can flag you for using automated link building, there is a SPECIFIC PENALTY. This is not speculation, this is no conspiracy, it is FACT.

                              Now, I agree with you, that it depends on the person using it. You have to understand the majority of people haven't ever done a press release... most can barely write on a forum, let alone do article marketing. Most will spam blogs with "nice post" blah blah blah. The IP's are easily available, obviously you will need to be using proxies, but the reality of this is that even if you think you are doing everything right, you can be hit with a penalty.

                              I don't expect you to know all this, and I really don't care if you believe it. This is how I make money, pay bills, and support my bad habits. Once you get serious enough into this, you will learn by experience. I'm not just saying what my theory is, I'm talking about real experience on a multitude of websites.

                              You saying that you know why you have a penalty, and it was do to manual backlinking, just isn't true. There are 3 penalties(at least known) with google, and none of them have anything to do with manual backlinking. Now, just like with automated backlinking, if you are doing manual backlinking and they eventually go away, and you stop building then of course you are going to suffer. That isn't a penalty though, that is called the SERPs and different indexing with the different data centers.

                              When I said I do more automation than you... I don't do automated profile links, I don't do automated blog comments, or automating spam... I automate account creation and some submissions. I have a LOT of clients, and when you have a client that pays a lot of money you need to make sure you build RELEVANT, QUALITY, backlinks.

                              You guys can continue on worrying about your $1,000-$2,000 a month adsense sites, and spam out irrelevance, but sooner or later you will fall. It is only a matter of time, unless you KNOW what you're doing. Anyone doing this less than 2 years, probably doesn't know enough about this. There are exceptions, but come on now... doing this for only a few months, you've been around for one algo rollout..In no way am I saying that as an insult, you have to start somewhere, but you definitely have a lot of learning to do. I went years before finally believing that there were any penalties. I didn't believe there was, until I actually saw it happen to hundreds of my own sites, so I had to adapt.

                              For those being smart with automation, well, I don't need to say anything. They all know the real possibility of getting hit by the Big G, even though they are at less risk than some of the other people in this thread. If you are making money automating everything, GREAT! Good job, but make sure you diversify, or you will end up screwed.
                              Iamnameless. To be honest yes, I am a newbie. Have been doing SEO for about 8 months and I have learned a lot in 8 months. The reason I started this thread is because I was not sure if I wanted to start automating my link bullding or stick with doing it manual.

                              I have a top known SEO consultant who stricly advises not to use any automated programs. I also have a mentor who makes well over six figures a year doing completly automated spammy link building and swears that blackhatting is the way to go

                              I really just wanted to gain an understanding on the risks and upsides of both techniques and I am sorry if I came off acting like I know what I was talking about. I simply wanted to see your argument and it was a very articulate one at that. You have brought up some very valid arguments and I thank you for that.
                              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3947924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fuze
    I honestly don't see a reason why you wouldn't do it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3941623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ansari
    Automated link building has played a massive part in me getting number 1 and many first page rankings for some seriously competitive keywords. So for me automating as much of my link building as I can is the way forward.

    Obviously there are certain aspects of your link building that will require you to do it manually, but we all have common sense and we should use it to decide what should be automated and what needs to be done manually.


    You know, for some reason most people here are afraid to test the boundaries to see what works and just follow other peoples “theories”.

    Sure there is a risk with automation but there is also a risk with no automated link building too. sh*t happens, just start over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3942155].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Justinpage
    Automated backlinking is not totally bad. What makes bad is that some people are overdoing it, and overdoing it will totally harm your site. Though your idea of combining both manual and automated backlinking are good.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3942720].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KLaAz0r
    In the time white hats make 1 good backlink, i make 20 in that same time.. If you spam you need to know how you do it. And create link wheels/pyramids
    Signature
    I will create high quality graphics
    for $5
    ->CLICK HERE<-
    OFFER ONLY FOR 2 WEEKS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3942839].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by KLaAz0r View Post

      In the time white hats make 1 good backlink, i make 20 in that same time.. If you spam you need to know how you do it. And create link wheels/pyramids
      The fact you say link wheels/pyramids, you realize they aren't the same right? You realize the actual link wheel isn't what it used to be, and that there is a decay factor, right?

      I just love how people who use automated link services as their income, refuse to be open to this, and they just go in defense of their service. LOL.

      For those of us who do SEO, and have REAL clients that pay us monthly, we aren't going to spam backlinks. They need to come from relevant, and quality sources.

      So even though you can make 100X more backlinks... I probably make more than 100X the amount of cash, than you do because of the QUALITY I offer, and the amazing results given.

      Automation needs to be selective... not just letting it go and hoping for the best... it just isn't that easy.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3942880].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Lee Murray
      Originally Posted by KLaAz0r View Post

      In the time white hats make 1 good backlink, i make 20 in that same time.. If you spam you need to know how you do it. And create link wheels/pyramids
      Yes, it's all in the scheme. People talk about poor quality links not giving you any benefit. But guess what... you have CONTROL over that! You can MAKE your links high-quality by building links TO your links! Linkwheels and link pyramids are great ways of doing this.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3943034].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tim45
    I used the process for a while and my site got hit hard. I lost page rank and of course traffic. Would I do auto link building again? Not a chance. It might work for a year or two but eventually google will find out.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3944472].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jhonsean
    In my Opinion, For me manual link building matters most compared to automation because only the individual or group link builder will determine if it is quality links..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3944931].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
      Originally Posted by ARVolund View Post

      You make a few good points. (This coming from someone who does a lot of automation.

      One thing to keep in mind is Google does not know how links were created. All they see is the link itself they have no way of knowing whether it was made by hand or created by a bot. Done properly quality links can be made by automation. Maybe not quite as good as manually but pretty close and depending on where the link is being placed that is going to be good enough.



      It is not just all about a total number of links.

      1. Link age is important
      2. The text surrounding your links is important
      3. The PR of both the site and page where your links are is important
      4. Link velocity is important.

      Lets take link velocity first as that is where most people make the biggest mistake when it comes to automating their backlinks.

      Look at it from Google's perspective.

      Think about those sites/pages that go viral for one reason or another, they get a lot of links all at one time and shoot up to the top of the rankings. Google sees all of those incoming links and decides that the site is important so ranks it well.

      After the site has had its 15 minutes of fame people stop linking to it and even start to remove the existing links because they realize that the site is really not that cool/funny/etc anymore. Google notices this and decides that the site is not important any longer and its rankings drop.

      When you build a huge amount of links and then stop this is the scenario you are emulating. It is not the huge number of links that hurt you but the negative link velocity when you stopped.

      How about link age? Everything I have seen tells me that Google gives a link more credit the longer it exists. If you think about it it makes sense. A link solid link that has been around awhile should be worth more than a fly by night link that has only existed for a week. That link you have now that is only a week old will be worth more in six months or a year.

      Links that are included in text seem to work better as well. It does not seem to have to be a lot to make a difference. Even profile links will do you more good if you bury the link in 3 or 4 sentences rather than having just your link without any surrounding text.

      This one seems even more important after the last couple of updates. Google seems to be looking for and giving more weight to links in content than they were in the past.

      PR is important as well. Think of PR as a measure of trust from Google. Think about if you were looking for advice on whether or not to buy something. You get advice from your neighbor that you have known for years and some advice from some stranger you have never met before. Which one are you gong to give more weight? In Google's eyes that PR 5 is the next door neighbor and the PR0 is the stranger. When you get a link from a page it is the same as that page telling Google that it thinks your site is worth looking at and it gives more weight to the PR 5 because it knows and trusts it more than the stranger down the road.

      As far as OBL's go I do not think it is really a numbers game as much as what kinds of links are on the page. I would rather have a link on a page with 200 OBL's going to decent sites instead of having my link on a page with 50 links going to porn and spammy sites.

      Automation is your friend if you use it well. Think about it we use automation in almost every facet of our lives. We drive cars, use washing machines, dishwashers, power tools etc. Link building is no different and if you use the tools properly they will help you a lot.

      You only have so much time in a day so you want to get the most ROI on your as you can. This means you need to spend it doing thing that are going to make the most difference. You basically can do things three ways, you can do manual, you can automate, or you can outsource. Personally I believe that mixing all three of them together gives the best results.

      Lets take blog commenting for instance. Lets say I have a large list of PR1 -PR7 blogs that I want to put comments on. I would break into three sections

      PR6 and PR7--These I would do manually
      PR2 -PR5--These I would outsource
      PR1--These I would automate.

      This would allow me to get the best ROI on my time and that is the name of the game. You can do all those PR1 links by hand but the amount of good you get from each one will not make it worth doing. Only proper automation puts the ROI on those links in the black.
      And you're right... please understand that my post, and my outlook, is to give advice to the majority of people that do not have common sense. I believe automating certain tasks is necessary. I don't believe automating everything is beneficial and can get you in trouble. Someone like you, that appears to have a brain, I wouldn't worry about. The only thing I disagree with you about is OBL... 200 OBL will give you NO link juice... it will count as a link, but you won't get any juice, kind of like a profile link, in my opinion... but lets save that for a future thread. LOL

      Originally Posted by InTheMaking View Post

      iAmNameless, I get that your into the total "white hat" and build all your backlinks manually but you shouldn't be tearing down how automated softwares don't work, or the trouble that comes with them.

      The automated software that you use is as good as the guy behind the software, if your smart you should have no problem with penalties, sandboxed, etc.

      I've been using automated softwares and I've achieved great results, why? Because I know how to use the softwares.

      Theres no way I'd ever be able to expand as fast as I have and be making what I am today without the softwares.

      If you've never given them a try, you have no right to say they don't work.
      I have tried them, why would I speak on something I know nothing about? I also still automate various tasks. If you learn how to read when you come back to this thread, feel free to go to my previous post, that was bolded in red, and you will notice I mentioned that I still use automation. In fact, I can guarantee you that I use more automation than you do. LOL. The difference is, I know that it isn't always right to use automation, and it isn't meant for everything, and you are walking on fire. Those that are smart and walking on fire, well... they're firemen. LOL.

      I also remember a few threads you started asking why your rankings disappeared. I think you're being a little bit.... eh nevermind, I'm probably close to getting a 30 day ban as it is.

      To say that automated software, poses no potential problems, is an ignorant and idiotic thing to say. The top SEOs in the world, would have to disagree with you, and probably say the same thing I am.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3944991].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SPC
        Originally Posted by iAmNameLess View Post

        And you're right... please understand that my post, and my outlook, is to give advice to the majority of people that do not have common sense. I believe automating certain tasks is necessary. I don't believe automating everything is beneficial and can get you in trouble. Someone like you, that appears to have a brain, I wouldn't worry about. The only thing I disagree with you about is OBL... 200 OBL will give you NO link juice... it will count as a link, but you won't get any juice, kind of like a profile link, in my opinion... but lets save that for a future thread. LOL



        I have tried them, why would I speak on something I know nothing about? I also still automate various tasks. If you learn how to read when you come back to this thread, feel free to go to my previous post, that was bolded in red, and you will notice I mentioned that I still use automation. In fact, I can guarantee you that I use more automation than you do. LOL. The difference is, I know that it isn't always right to use automation, and it isn't meant for everything, and you are walking on fire. Those that are smart and walking on fire, well... they're firemen. LOL.

        I also remember a few threads you started asking why your rankings disappeared. I think you're being a little bit.... eh nevermind, I'm probably close to getting a 30 day ban as it is.

        To say that automated software, poses no potential problems, is an ignorant and idiotic thing to say. The top SEOs in the world, would have to disagree with you, and probably say the same thing I am.
        Why would I be deindexed Nonamelessguy? Could I get my competitor deindexed by doing automated spammy links and having them pointed to his/her site?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3946814].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author iAmNameLess
          Originally Posted by SPC View Post

          Why would I be deindexed Nonamelessguy? Could I get my competitor deindexed by doing automated spammy links and having them pointed to his/her site?
          Yeah, keep editing your post....

          Why don't you try reading my previous posts? IT IS A FACT THAT GOOGLE LOOKS FOR AUTOMATION!!!! IT HAS HAPPENED TO 400 OF MY SITES PREVIOUSLY.

          It isn't just devaluing links... It is a penalty. Why are you so dense?

          The misconception of not being able to effect competitors rankings, is exactly that, a misconception. There are many contingencies though, and it isn't easy. I guess idiots don't think about the possible footprints. If you know your competitors direct IP, yes, you can EASILY get them deindexed but then you will be breaking the law.

          And to end this conversation, try coming up with a complete thought, on your own without regurgitating everything you see from everybody else.

          Recent example of people messing up their competitors - http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-...ally-suck.html
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3946872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dagaul101
    I think the main reason is it simply devalues the content on the web, if everyone was allowed to spam with no repercussions then every other link might as well be for weight loss products
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3948259].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onthequiet
    Just started using semi-automatic link building. I like to keep the verification manual. Its working great.
    Signature

    Get yourself a Keyword Research Tool for a ridiculously low price.
    Use coupon code "warrior" for further discount!!

    ==>ONLY 1 MORE REMAINING AT THIS PRICE<==

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3949201].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jacked
    As long as your not stupid about it, you will be fine. I have been using mostly automated links since the beginning, and still even after all these Google updates, I am doing fine ranking my sites.
    Signature

    BEST LINKS AT THE BEST PRICE GUARANTEED

    HIGHLY REVIEWED - BEST PRICES - AMAZING SERVICE
    Comments, Profiles, Pyramids, Bookmarks, Article Submissions, Web 2.0 Creation, & Much MORE
    WF THREAD
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3951526].message }}

Trending Topics