I now get several offline clients who want me to set up and optimize an Adwords PPC campaign to get them new leads.
I was wondering whether there are differences in how to go about setting up and optimizing an Adwords campaign as objectives are a bit different - here is what I usually do for promoting my websites with PPC:
- make sure to maintain CTR of every keyword above 1% where there are at least 100 impressions
- weed out keywords with low CTR (under 1% - see above)
- track every keyword down to conversion (?? for local biz: completed optin, or specific 1-800 number?)
- split test text ads and get them both displayed 50-50% to make stats relevant
- after 2-3 weeks try to decrease the max cpc where to get it to 5 cents above average cpc
- use 1 keyword per ad group (search network)
- group keywords per theme in adgroups for Display Network (alias Content Network)
- create dynamic landing pages with php to insert keywords in title, meta, h1 and page content
I would appreciate input from people who manage PPC for local businesses...