If your stuck trying to "out-rank" a certain competitor for keyword(s) in Google (or any other search engines for that matter) here's what I recommend you to, because I've been using it to devistating effect.
... and it's REALLY simple.
1. Go to Google; search "SEO SPYGLASS"
2. Download it! It requires an opt-in but it's well, well worth it. Oh, and it's FREE.
3. Load it up, you then have 1 of 2 options, either ask SEO SPLYGLASS to search for sites ranking for "your keyword" or by specific site.
You will want to do both, (I'll explain why later) but for now start with a specific site, e.g. catjuggling.com
4. Go grab a sandwich, coffee, do press-ups [insert activity here] - it's takes a few minutes for the software to collect data ala M.S.
5. Once that's complete you'll get the option "include all backlink factors in reporting?" Select: YES.
6. Repeat step 4 for larger "authority" sites, for mini/niche/sniper sites hang by the PC.
7. Explore to your hearts content the backlinking strategy, quality and other such information of your competitors.
8. STEAL YOUR COMPETITORS BACKLINKS -- by visiting the same sites/ using the same approach they are using. Right under their nose without them even knowing it!
... NOW TAKE ACTION.
PM for a "demo video" I made of this, should you want it. But, you really can get started with these instructions alone. Seriously.