End of dot come ERA? IM going to change drastically very soon! latest report!

41 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi Warriors go through this report which says that from next year onwards
there will be almost unlimited domains available on the internet
the era of dominace of .com will be ending soon it seems...

End_of_dot_com_era

Whats the effect gonna be on the IMers in general I wonder.
#change #domain #dot #drastically #end #era #latest #report
  • Profile picture of the author DavidG
    Hmmm.. something to think about....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102471].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EvcRo
    That would change nothing for me and most likely for you too. Big boys will have their own trademarks as extension.

    Thats a little thievery. It costs 150k to apply for such an extension

    Instead of

    subdomain1...n.apple.com they will pay 150k for
    subdomain1...n.apple

    One could argue that in case1 there are subdomains and in case 2 there are individual domains. However, thats just cosmetics.

    They practically get rid of .com for 150k. lol, talking about re hashing products, ICAAN does it too
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102491].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author justhandsome
      Originally Posted by EvcRo View Post

      That would change nothing for me and most likely for you too. Big boys will have their own trademarks as extension.

      Thats a little thievery. It costs 150k to apply for such an extension

      Instead of

      subdomain1...n.apple.com they will pay 150k for
      subdomain1...n.apple

      One could argue that in case1 there are subdomains and in case 2 there are individual domains. However, thats just cosmetics.

      They practically get rid of .com for 150k. lol, talking about re hashing products, ICAAN does it too
      Well agreed but we all know that in ranking a website .com plays a BIG role,hence it will make it very difficult to rank for a keyword as google will as expected TIE-UP with the big ones and give rankings to the APPLEs,HPs,and LENOVOs for electronics prodcuts and similarly maybe there will be domains like .RESEARCH and .REVIEW which too will be taken up very fast ...the smaller players may have to change the game bit.
      I am sure we will see a BIG FLOOD for new IM products very soon encashing on this phenomenon....
      Signature
      "An 'eye' for an 'eye' ...............................

      .................................................. ...........................................
      ............will not make the article unique enough...try..."oculus"..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102535].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulgl
        Originally Posted by justhandsome View Post

        Well agreed but we all know that in ranking a website .com plays a BIG role,
        Actually, we all know it plays NO role....

        Originally Posted by Ram View Post

        .com and .info aren't on the same level. Nothing is on the level of .com as far as commercial use. The public automatically thinks .com. Many don't even know there is a .info.
        So much misinformation....just more myths propagating more myths.

        Paul
        Signature

        If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4104229].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author justhandsome
          Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

          Actually, we all know it plays NO role....






          So much misinformation....just more myths propagating more myths.

          Paul

          Well I am sorry but it DOES.....
          I have tested it myself and IT DOES make a difference,this is not misinformation by any means,this has been tested many times.
          Signature
          "An 'eye' for an 'eye' ...............................

          .................................................. ...........................................
          ............will not make the article unique enough...try..."oculus"..
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4108586].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tang
      At upwards of $250,000 USD per registration, I don't see this new naming convention making much of a splash.

      Besides the expense, the major brands will be looking at a long period of confusion among consumers, constantly forgetting that it's macbookair.apple now instead of apple.com/macbookair.

      I could, however, see companies with money to burn (like Apple) just registering it so no one else does.
      Signature
      Join me at the beach house sometime.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102536].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author justhandsome
        Originally Posted by dtang View Post

        At upwards of $250,000 USD per registration, I don't see this new naming convention making much of a splash.

        Besides the expense, the major brands will be looking at a long period of confusion among consumers, constantly forgetting that it's macbookair.apple now instead of apple.com/macbookair.

        I could, however, see companies with money to burn (like Apple) just registering it so no one else does.
        I think definitely the pricing will be lower for non fortune 100 companies ...for the fortune 100 companies the pricing is fair enough .One thing we dont understand is that why will they pay for it? for top 5 search rankings ;well like for anything related to apple google will prefer a .APPLE domain name hence these guys will get the direct search traffic as google will definitely give leverage to these domains..
        for laptop searches I can see .LENOVO,.ACER,.DELL taking up top 10 places for most of the keywords.same for travel etc

        I think we should start thinking more towards really really long tail keywords
        now very soon ...to start thinking making websites more general in nature rather than focussed on particular products as may be in few months time all the hard work put in
        targetting for a company owned products based website could be in drain...just my thought so it would be better to make websites more general like 40inchledtvsets.com rather than sonybravia40inchledtvs.com..just a suggesting i will likely follow from now on
        Signature
        "An 'eye' for an 'eye' ...............................

        .................................................. ...........................................
        ............will not make the article unique enough...try..."oculus"..
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102579].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Tang
          Originally Posted by justhandsome View Post

          I think definitely the pricing will be lower for non fortune 100 companies ...for the fortune 100 companies the pricing is fair enough .One thing we dont understand is that why will they pay for it? for top 5 search rankings ;well like for anything related to apple google will prefer a .APPLE domain name hence these guys will get the direct search traffic as google will definitely give leverage to these domains..
          for laptop searches I can see .LENOVO,.ACER,.DELL taking up top 10 places for most of the keywords.same for travel etc

          I think we should start thinking more towards really really long tail keywords
          now very soon ...to start thinking making websites more general in nature rather than focussed on particular products as may be in few months time all the hard work put in
          targetting for a company owned products based website could be in drain
          ...just my thought so it would be better to make websites more general like 40inchledtvsets.com rather than sonybravia40inchledtvs.com..just a suggesting i will likely follow from now on
          Well, even now, placing a brand name like Sony in your domain name is begging for trouble, but you make good points.

          I think you're right that Google will almost certainly give major ranking preference to these .whatever brand sites. Having your own well-established authority sites on general topics is likely to become extremely important in the nearer-than-we-may-think future.

          I'm predicting that with every such change, we will see fewer and fewer SEO options... until all that's left are mid- to large-sized players with the budgets to play big time PPC.
          Signature
          Join me at the beach house sometime.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102631].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author theultimate1
          Originally Posted by justhandsome View Post

          anything related to apple google will prefer a .APPLE domain name hence these guys will get the direct search traffic as google will definitely give leverage to these domains..
          That'll mark yet another EPIC "SOCIAL" FAIL for Google. It'll be a moment to watch, but if I owned BING, I'd just not do that and ensure relevant, more social (from multiple authoritative, authentic sources) results... rather than shoving a horde of advertising copy even in organic results.

          Google better read this post... or the combined power of Facebook and Bing might just outflank them <<< Yea, I know this post was kinda cheeky. But doesn't it make sense?
          Signature
          If Content Is Your King, Then This GhostRider.. err.. GhostWriter Is Your Knight!
          My Sample Articles
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4103243].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Amitywill
          Originally Posted by justhandsome View Post

          .APPLE domain name hence these guys will get the direct search traffic as google will definitely give leverage to these domains..
          This is just speculation and you have no proof that Google will give
          weight to these domains.


          They are already lessening the weight that exact match domains have on
          their listings so do you really think they're going to suddenly change their
          mind because of this?

          There's more to SEO and Googles serps than domain names.

          Will
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4103341].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author justhandsome
            well may be there will be sale of dot coms pretty soon .. :-) now .com and .info on same level?
            Signature
            "An 'eye' for an 'eye' ...............................

            .................................................. ...........................................
            ............will not make the article unique enough...try..."oculus"..
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4103960].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author unchained
    my bloody luck...just when i expanded my domain portfolio :confused:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102517].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author randypatok
    I don't think it will end. much easier to remember than any extensions.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102526].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author markowe
    Well, it'll just make .com extensions even more valuable, won't it?
    Signature

    Who says you can't earn money as an eBay affiliate any more? My stats say otherwise

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102552].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author justhandsome
      Originally Posted by markowe View Post

      Well, it'll just make .com extensions even more valuable, won't it?

      Not quite if it stops ranking for the intended keywords ..which most likely will be the case...
      what else is .com good for except
      1) ranking
      2) people perception - ease of remember

      both the things will change i feel...
      is this development been done to tackle the very powerful Internet marketers affiliate systems.....I think that was a main reason they are pushing for this ...
      Signature
      "An 'eye' for an 'eye' ...............................

      .................................................. ...........................................
      ............will not make the article unique enough...try..."oculus"..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102598].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author B3n
    Edit edit edit
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102686].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author justhandsome
      Originally Posted by B3n View Post

      I imagine this will be as successful as other TLDs like

      .aero
      .museum
      .travel

      Dot com is king. Dot com is the internet.

      Let's say that Google registers .google

      People will still add dot com after it as that is what they are used to doing.

      I can't see it making much difference at all.

      "Dot com is king. Dot com is the internet."

      Well Nokia was king of Mobiles once ....but now.....

      I now think this change may impact IMers very very seriously ,there will be loopholes obviously but i think that the very fact that a person can buy a .com from his home ;set up a few pages and then due to backlinks and other SEO things rank better than the billion dollar companys
      for similar searches ,makes one think how long will they accept this democracy on the NET .

      Time for a Ineternet Marketing SPRING (a la Arab spring) :-) ?
      Signature
      "An 'eye' for an 'eye' ...............................

      .................................................. ...........................................
      ............will not make the article unique enough...try..."oculus"..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102721].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sameerjoad
    it won't change anything. It is only a way for brands to protect their brands and pay a $150k price tag for the same!

    On the other hand it will affect those people who are in to major brands like apple, facebook, google, bla bla. It won't affect the smaller brands or amazon sites because i don't really think smaller brands will go for 150k domain TLDs when they can grab a .com for $7 or so.

    its modern day monopoly, how exactly will this help brand? i don't see 'all' brands will be willing to pay 150k and upwards to get a .brand watever.

    And .hotel and the likes are generic, any specific hotel can't use them, ONLY 1 BRAND can get a .brand name. So if one hotel gets .hotel the rest have to get .movenpick, .marriot, etc. Whats the point?
    Signature
    Join me & my IM journey at my blog:
    Make money online with SJ
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102700].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author justhandsome
      Originally Posted by sameerjoad View Post

      it won't change anything. It is only a way for brands to protect their brands and pay a $150k price tag for the same!

      On the other hand it will affect those people who are in to major brands like apple, facebook, google, bla bla. It won't affect the smaller brands or amazon sites because i don't really think smaller brands will go for 150k domain TLDs when they can grab a .com for $7 or so.

      its modern day monopoly, how exactly will this help brand? i don't see 'all' brands will be willing to pay 150k and upwards to get a .brand watever.

      And .hotel and the likes are generic, any specific hotel can't use them, ONLY 1 BRAND can get a .brand name. So if one hotel gets .hotel the rest have to get .movenpick, .marriot, etc. Whats the point?

      I already think I thought of a probable policy they will make :

      "I think definitely the pricing will be lower for non fortune 100 companies ...for the fortune 100 companies the pricing is fair enough ."

      its not that .hotel will be registered but if you search for hotels in lake tahoe right now you may be able to rank ,but I think in a few days
      any search term with travel or hotel or any other generic term based key words will show some of the top brands related to that key word first...like .marriot, .hilton for travel and if they have lake tahoe in their web pages that will hit the top 10 ranks easier(rather guarantted I feel)..

      What do you think they are paying so much money for?,you think web searches will not be a part of their ROI plan?,Google will not be a consideration?,they will not bargain with ICANN/Google for the search ranks preference?

      Who knows?...lets wait and watch
      Signature
      "An 'eye' for an 'eye' ...............................

      .................................................. ...........................................
      ............will not make the article unique enough...try..."oculus"..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102748].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author drmani
        Not sure if this would be permitted, but what if:

        * Apple gave me (and every customer of theirs) a domain name for
        FREE... http://www.DrMani.apple

        * What if I then used it to build my site, blog, product, brand etc.

        * Every minute and cent I spend marketing my domain, I'd be
        piggy-back carrying the Apple domain and brand with

        Hmm...

        How about typos in such a scenario?

        http://www.DrManiSivasubramanian.apple

        You miss out ONE of the 21 alphabets - and the domain would
        redirect to Apple's websites!

        Anyone know if this is likely, or possible?

        All success
        Dr.Mani
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102825].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author justhandsome
          Originally Posted by drmani View Post

          Not sure if this would be permitted, but what if:

          * Apple gave me (and every customer of theirs) a domain name for
          FREE... http://www.DrMani.apple

          * What if I then used it to build my site, blog, product, brand etc.

          * Every minute and cent I spend marketing my domain, I'd be
          piggy-back carrying the Apple domain and brand with

          Hmm...

          How about typos in such a scenario?

          http://www.DrManiSivasubramanian.apple

          You miss out ONE of the 21 alphabets - and the domain would
          redirect to Apple's websites!

          Anyone know if this is likely, or possible?

          All success
          Dr.Mani
          "Every minute and cent I spend marketing my domain, I'd be
          piggy-back carrying the Apple domain and brand with"

          Yes of course it is their domain after all


          "How about typos in such a scenario?

          http://www.DrManiSivasubramanian.apple

          You miss out ONE of the 21 alphabets - and the domain would
          redirect to Apple's websites!"

          no it will not go to apples site it will give a no domain found error.
          Signature
          "An 'eye' for an 'eye' ...............................

          .................................................. ...........................................
          ............will not make the article unique enough...try..."oculus"..
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102846].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author drmani
            Originally Posted by justhandsome View Post

            You miss out ONE of the 21 alphabets - and the domain would
            redirect to Apple's websites!"

            no it will not go to apples site it will give a no domain found error.
            NOT if they (intelligently) use computer generated domains for
            ALL possible variations/typos - and have them redirect to their
            chosen pages! :-)

            Dr.Mani
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102863].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
            Originally Posted by justhandsome View Post

            no it will not go to apples site it will give a no domain found error.
            Not if Apple installs an A-record for *.apple it won't.

            You don't seem to understand how DNS works.
            Signature
            "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102904].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author justhandsome
              Originally Posted by CDarklock View Post

              Not if Apple installs an A-record for *.apple it won't.

              You don't seem to understand how DNS works.
              Hey thanks ,Yes I did'nt knew that; I still need to learn some of these things.
              Never had much need to go very deep on this issue actually.

              But As far as I remember I always got errors when I mistyped any domain names .Sometimes ..."this domain is for sale" kind of pages also.
              Signature
              "An 'eye' for an 'eye' ...............................

              .................................................. ...........................................
              ............will not make the article unique enough...try..."oculus"..
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102942].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Webtistic
    I don't think Google will neccessarily give more importance to .brand - there are plenty of sites called brand.com which are outranked by sites owned by other companies for important searches.

    google laptop for instance, bestbuy come up top, they are not a laptop brand though, they are just a highly relevant site
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102754].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author justhandsome
      Originally Posted by Webtistic View Post

      I don't think Google will neccessarily give more importance to .brand - there are plenty of sites called brand.com which are outranked by sites owned by other companies for important searches.

      google laptop for instance, bestbuy come up top, they are not a laptop brand though, they are just a highly relevant site
      Till now YES..in future? Remember that all people have paid the same amount for dot coms till now so all are equal in a way ..in future not quite...
      Well I do hope things don't change much for IMerd but as I see today..all the rules being created are making IM more and more difficult(this is both good and bad) and this new change will add up to the difficulties....(this is just bad/nothing good in this)
      Signature
      "An 'eye' for an 'eye' ...............................

      .................................................. ...........................................
      ............will not make the article unique enough...try..."oculus"..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102768].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ncmedia
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102784].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Martin Luxton
      Non-issue folks. Ignore and move on.


      Martin
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102794].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author justhandsome
      Originally Posted by ncmedia View Post

      screw.you

      mr.icann

      In all seriousness - it's just a money move imo, nothing will happen to any other extensions re going extinct. The .com has prevailed for over a few decades and there's already TONS of extensions out there - this is (in my opinion) a great quick way to hit up all the major brands for cash, no smaller guys (i.e. average marketers) are going to bother with this, and it's NOT going to affect your business in the slightest.

      150K for some nicer rims basically, the car is still a car.
      great one lol : :-) "screw.you " nice ideas :-)

      Extending this discussion :-here is an excerpt from another article about this
      major development:-
      Perhaps most importantly the programme will see the introduction of the entire offering also in Arabic, Chinese and other scripts.
      The new endings will start hitting in the web during 2012, with organisations and individuals urged to apply to Icann between January 12 2012 and April 12 2012.
      The move is being heralded as one of the biggest shake-ups in the history of the web, with Icann in particular calling it the dawn of a “new internet age”.
      The travel industry, of course, has heard some this rhetoric before, when Tralliance oversaw the introduction of the .travel domain in 2005, a programme which still has an amazing ability to divide opinion across the sector.
      Thousands of travel organisations have registered .travel domain extensions, but it is still relatively rare to find publicised web address using the .travel moniker.
      In the early days of the .travel initiative there were concerns about indexing and search engine optimisation issues, worries which will once again be multiplied on a grander scale again with Icann’s decision today.
      There does appear to be an acceptance that major change is not only needed by will be embraced by organisations. Domain seller Sedo has research which says 58% of companies would be keen to run their own domain name extension if the opportunity came up."

      Bonanza predicted as global registry unveils huge expansion of domains | Tnooz
      Signature
      "An 'eye' for an 'eye' ...............................

      .................................................. ...........................................
      ............will not make the article unique enough...try..."oculus"..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102804].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CDarklock
    Originally Posted by justhandsome View Post

    the era of dominace of .com will be ending soon it seems...
    Remember when .co was on the way?

    "The dot-com days are over! Oh noes! We must to buying with .co domain or people are not for to finding us on the internets!"

    Yawn.
    Signature
    "The Golden Town is the Golden Town no longer. They have sold their pillars for brass and their temples for money, they have made coins out of their golden doors. It is become a dark town full of trouble, there is no ease in its streets, beauty has left it and the old songs are gone." - Lord Dunsany, The Messengers
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102856].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author redbearing
    Nice article but misleading title. I am not going to call it the end of .com era if it still cost more than $100k to register that type of domain name. .com era might end in the next 20 to 30 years (or sooner, who knows) if it cost the same to register a .com & custom tld like that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4102895].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tehnolife
    Banned
    This is NOT gonna happen. Why??
    There are many reasons, but I will tell you a few:

    Why pay 150k , when you can have a subdomain or a .com ?

    People won't remember every ending, so they will write with apple.com. Okay, the site adds a redirect from .com, to .apple . Then why pay 150k , if you still use the .com one ?

    This is non-sense , and if happens, it won't have success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4103113].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Amitywill
    The likes of you and me wont be able to register these domains
    anyway, well at least for a few years. On top of the $185,000
    cost of the domain you also have to be accepted before they'll
    give you one.


    Read more about it here..

    BBC News - Icann increases web domain suffixes

    So as to the end of dot coms? Nope.

    Will
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4103221].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Giftys
    How do you think Google will react to how they display the new TLD's? Do you think it will be gradual like the .info's and such or will they feel pressure from the "big money" to react sooner?
    Signature

    WWJD

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4104001].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author justhandsome
      Originally Posted by Giftys View Post

      How do you think Google will react to how they display the new TLD's? Do you think it will be gradual like the .info's and such or will they feel pressure from the "big money" to react sooner?
      Gradual = one month max
      Signature
      "An 'eye' for an 'eye' ...............................

      .................................................. ...........................................
      ............will not make the article unique enough...try..."oculus"..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4104089].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ram
        .com and .info aren't on the same level. Nothing is on the level of .com as far as commercial use. The public automatically thinks .com. Many don't even know there is a .info.

        .com isn't going anywhere. This is a non-issue.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4104197].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rough Outline
    What website would be more trustworthy and appealing to searchers, a site that cost $10 to register or a site that cost $150,000 to register?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4104267].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
      Originally Posted by Rough Outline View Post

      What website would be more trustworthy and appealing to searchers, a site that cost $10 to register or a site that cost $150,000 to register?
      Searchers have no idea what a domain costs....
      Signature
      Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
      CLICK HERE FOR INFO
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4104679].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulgl
        It's about owning an empire. Your own chunk of the web.

        All of apple's websites would end with .apple, like
        ipad.apple and others. No other websites unless apple
        authorizes it, would be able to use the .apple extension.

        That, takes SEO to a different place. Not necessarily
        a new level, but certainly a much different playing field.

        If people believe keywords in a domain are terrific, they can't
        argue about keywords in a domain taking it to the next level.

        I can even hear people say, "You must have a unique extension....."

        Paul
        Signature

        If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4104846].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imback
    .com

    is not going anywhere soon period. Shoot .com is not even full to its potential IMHO


    CHAD
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4104885].message }}

Trending Topics