.info or .com for SEO purposes?

51 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I mainly use .com for my websites. Do you guys think that a .info domain is just as good as a .com for SEO purposes?
#info #purposes #seo
  • Profile picture of the author Seleyna
    yes, I tried optimizing a .info before and it performed well
    Signature
    Join! Successful Online PMP Exam Prep Coaching Program ~ Popular Demand Due to High Passing Rate
    PMP Exam Prep
    Free and Paid PMP resources. Free Mock Exam Questions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4242213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aleo1203
    I've never optimized for .info, but I have read they aren't as effective. Maybe it just takes a little more?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4242243].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jdub2104
    I've seen .info rank well, but I prefer .com, .net, and .org. These three have always been my "go to" when it comes to SEO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4242268].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JSProjects
    .info is fine. Many people will argue otherwise. But that just leaves more EMD's open for the rest of us.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4242321].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RentItNow
      Originally Posted by JSProjects View Post

      .info is fine. Many people will argue otherwise. But that just leaves more EMD's open for the rest of us.
      Yeah good results here as I am able to register domains that I would have never been able to with .com. Rank just as fast and .coms and I have seen posts here with the evidence others got same results.
      Signature
      I have no agenda but to help those in the same situation. This I feel will pay the bills.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4242437].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Williamson
    Signature
    The Google Adwords Keyword Tool is hiding your valuable keywords!
    OFFLINERS, Start using this simple technique and these 6 "weapons" today to get more clients and skyrocket your conversions! - FREE, no opt-in.
    Make some money by helping me market this idea.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4242583].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dadamson
    I have experimented with both and can safely say that they both work.

    I prefer .com just for the known trust factor if I am selling things on it, however .info can be great to get some good domain names that haven't been taken.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4242604].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DIGITALCHAMELEON
    I think there is no matter the domain extension when it comes to SEO the important is how competitive is your SEO campaign.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4242727].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seoforu
    .Com is much better than .info . But there are many factors depending on it.If money isn't a problem then go for a .com domain.
    Signature

    Guest post links are effective when they are contextual and natural!!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4243596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Seamc
    if they both perform the same ranking-wise, I think i would go for a .info since if people are looking for "[your keyword] info" they first of all get an exact match with your domain (given your keyword is in the domain already) and because your site is .info, they think the site provides information and is not going to sell them crap.

    Just my 2 cents.
    Signature
    Nicotine Patches Stop Smoking Easy!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4243676].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StoneWilson
    Technically I don't think there is difference between .com and .info, but for most of people, .com is much easier to remember and it sounds kind of official?
    Signature
    Looking for godaddy renewal coupon? Check GodaddyRenewal.com!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4243698].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Seamc
      Originally Posted by StoneWilson View Post

      Technically I don't think there is difference between .com and .info, but for most of people, .com is much easier to remember and it sounds kind of official?
      It depends on the purpose of your website. If you count on organic traffic, you don't need to worry about how easy it is to remember your website.
      Signature
      Nicotine Patches Stop Smoking Easy!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4243726].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alina albert
    I think no difference in both but people mostly prefer .com domain for this purpose.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4243716].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sandersjessica
    I haven't optimized for .info either. But imo, i guess .coms are much easier to rank. .info domains takes some time to feature in the SERPs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4243741].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J3thro M
    In search results, when internet users see .com and .info in page 1, they will most likely to click the website with .com ..... I think so..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4243952].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Musique
    I guess it's possible, however, it's strongly advisable to use .com domains because people tend to add ".com" to site names when they type the name.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4244089].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by Musique View Post

      I guess it's possible, however, it's strongly advisable to use .com domains because people tend to add ".com" to site names when they type the name.
      Which has absolutely nothing to do with SEO.
      Signature
      SEO, AdWords Management, Social Media Marketing, and more.
      Get a FREE Quote.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4245069].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author diyakapoor
    .info is fine, no problem at all. But make sure that you perform a good on page optimization of website as you do when it is a .com domain.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4244155].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author karandigital
    .info is fine but .com is the best
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4244189].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author talking
      Originally Posted by karandigital View Post

      .info is fine but .com is the best
      That's a proven fact.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4244631].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Seamc
    I hate how these threads just throw up confusion. If you say they are both equally good, why should you pay more than double the amount of a .info for a .com? wouldn't that be money thrown out?
    Signature
    Nicotine Patches Stop Smoking Easy!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4244533].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author owenlee
    I have a .info domain and it ranks on the first page... a .com has made impression that it is the best so most of us will register a .com .......is just that .com has a better branding than .info

    that my view..anyone have the same thinking? haha
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4244798].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bhuff85
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - it doesn't matter. I've got a few .info domains that are ranking on page 1 for their targeted keyword term. Heck, some of them are beating out some authority domains as well. But in short, if you look at it in terms of SEO, not one is really "better" than the other. It boils down to personal preference.
    Signature
    Want to speed up your writing and save time?
    This book will show you how:
    --> Write Fast: 21 Powerful Ways to Cut Your Writing Time in Half! <--
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4245127].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Williamson
    Yeah, this is getting rather ridiculous...
    Signature
    The Google Adwords Keyword Tool is hiding your valuable keywords!
    OFFLINERS, Start using this simple technique and these 6 "weapons" today to get more clients and skyrocket your conversions! - FREE, no opt-in.
    Make some money by helping me market this idea.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4246372].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author redrabbitt67
      Originally Posted by John Williamson View Post

      Yeah, this is getting rather ridiculous...
      Yeah, I think we've about beat this thing to death. I read the other .info threads and started using them for my new websites.

      When I've done my keyword research thoroughly with proper SEO, these .info domains are ranking on Page 1 and frequently in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd positions.

      I don't see the problem except for the perception that .com domains may be worth more if you're planning on selling the site.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4262605].message }}
  • Originally Posted by mince001 View Post

    I mainly use .com for my websites. Do you guys think that a .info domain is just as good as a .com for SEO purposes?
    For SEO purposes, I've found that it makes no difference. However, if you want to sell the domain in the future, a .com is your best option.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4246751].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aliensexist112
    I believe that .com domains work better. From personal experience .com domains have always been indexed faster and got higher rankings. The only option might be to buy two domains with the same name and do testing which one will rank higher.
    Signature
    5 Day Make Money Online Crash Course - totally FREE ,perfect for beginners.
    Serious about money online? Must check out: The SHOCKING Truth About Making Money Online


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4246897].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by aliensexist112 View Post

      I believe that .com domains work better. From personal experience .com domains have always been indexed faster and got higher rankings. The only option might be to buy two domains with the same name and do testing which one will rank higher.
      I'm going to call BS on this.

      It's just not true at all. The TLD has no effect on the rankings.
      Signature
      SEO, AdWords Management, Social Media Marketing, and more.
      Get a FREE Quote.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4262228].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Teleologist
    Which is best, .net or .org? As far as .info, there may not be good reasons to think it's not as good as the others but since so many persons think .info isn't as good as .com then when you sell your website you might get less for it if it's a .info rather than a .com.
    Signature

    Jack Wyatt

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4262341].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesGw
    I notice that .com domains tend to have a higher CTR on the SERPs, which has an indirect benefit in regard to ranking. It also helps with branding. I'd suggest using .com when you can unless you're just starting out and can only afford .info domains in any sort of bulk quantity.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4262650].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bhuff85
      Originally Posted by JamesGw View Post

      I notice that .com domains tend to have a higher CTR on the SERPs, which has an indirect benefit in regard to ranking. It also helps with branding. I'd suggest using .com when you can unless you're just starting out and can only afford .info domains in any sort of bulk quantity.
      So you're telling me that a .info ranking #1 for a specific keyword in Google will get LESS clicks than a .com ranking #4? Do you have any evidence that points to this?

      Like I said before, a lot is dependent on how well you put your SEO together. Heck, once you get to the first page, even your title will need to be crafted well to garner clicks (as well as be properly optimized). There are so many elements involved that the actual domain extension truly has nothing to do with it.

      If you're looking to brand something then yes - a .com makes perfect sense (and I would agree to recommend this as well). If you're just trying to build a small niche website though, worry less about the extension and pay more attention other factors that are the most important (i.e. building a quality website with top notch content, properly optimizing it both on-page and off-page).
      Signature
      Want to speed up your writing and save time?
      This book will show you how:
      --> Write Fast: 21 Powerful Ways to Cut Your Writing Time in Half! <--
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4262744].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JamesGw
        Originally Posted by bhuff85 View Post

        So you're telling me that a .info ranking #1 for a specific keyword in Google will get LESS clicks than a .com ranking #4? Do you have any evidence that points to this?

        Like I said before, a lot is dependent on how well you put your SEO together. Heck, once you get to the first page, even your title will need to be crafted well to garner clicks (as well as be properly optimized). There are so many elements involved that the actual domain extension truly has nothing to do with it.

        If you're looking to brand something then yes - a .com makes perfect sense (and I would agree to recommend this as well). If you're just trying to build a small niche website though, worry less about the extension and pay more attention other factors that are the most important (i.e. building a quality website with top notch content, properly optimizing it both on-page and off-page).
        You have slain my strawman, but my real point still stands!

        Anyway, no. I'm saying that, from my experience, a .com ranking at #1 will receive more clicks than a .info ranking at #1 if everything else is exactly the same. Google uses click through rate to determine rankings, so having .com might have an indirect benefit.

        Granted, a .info's description and title could be optimized to such a degree where this barely matters, but it's still a (very) small factor.

        Just something to think on. I'm not trying to start an argument.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4262925].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author bhuff85
          Originally Posted by JamesGw View Post

          You have slain my strawman, but my real point still stands!

          Anyway, no. I'm saying that, from my experience, a .com ranking at #1 will receive more clicks than a .info ranking at #1 if everything else is exactly the same. Google uses click through rate to determine rankings, so having .com might have an indirect benefit.

          Granted, a .info's description and title could be optimized to such a degree where this barely matters, but it's still a (very) small factor.

          Just something to think on. I'm not trying to start an argument.
          Wasn't trying to start an argument - just wanted to get more details to refute the claim that you were making, that's all

          It would be interesting to actually test this, but of course, other variables would still exist that would likely make it tought to get an actual number. You could come close, but there is always that title and description that will play a factor.

          In the end, whatever you prefer will do. It's too bad other folks don't realize that they could be missing out on an opportunity to use a .info domain to rank for something they really wanted to go after when the other main TLD's are not available. However - that's OK. I'll just take it off their hands
          Signature
          Want to speed up your writing and save time?
          This book will show you how:
          --> Write Fast: 21 Powerful Ways to Cut Your Writing Time in Half! <--
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4263026].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Kurza
    The .com domain is what is most common and most typed so if you can then its worth getting the .com. However, I haved picked up a .me domain since the others were taken, but they weren't being used. So my .me is on the first page, just need more backlinks and content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4262756].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stc151
    I have both .info and .com sites and there doesn't seem to be an advantage to either. Both take just as much work for competitive keywords.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4264012].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author razorhound
    Both of them work great for me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4264367].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author collegeboy
    Both domains are Google friendly and worked well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4264665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WakondaMarketing
    As, I have said in the previous threads, domain extensions do not matter. Any domain extension can outrank any other sites by employing excellent SEO strategy and linkbuilding efforts.
    Signature

    Wakonda Marketing Inc
    Want to crush it with Media Buying ?
    Needs hordes of traffic ?
    Call us now 514-688-2576
    or visit http://www.wakondamarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4849282].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sandysandiego
      there are a lot of contradictions - gimme a final verdict - A Go or a No Go

      I accept that i have no time to test..hence this post
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5074206].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tajtour
    Yes, you can use .info. It also work good like .com or any other domain...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5075148].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sdzh
    .com is more likely to be clicked by a searcher and is more brandable and, ultimately, more sellable (if you ever want/need to go down that route)

    .info is the reverse of the above.

    From an SEO and ranking perspective, it makes no difference - I have .info sites that are #1 and many more .info's that are top 5.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5076213].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kimseo
    Originally Posted by mince001 View Post

    I mainly use .com for my websites. Do you guys think that a .info domain is just as good as a .com for SEO purposes?
    I don't think google consider domain TLDs, Although i have never worked on any .info domain but i believe it should be treated same as any other domain TLD
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5076649].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author iamnotfrankkern
    I prefer .com, .net, and .org but they may equally good.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5076697].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author markove
      I think .com and .info domain extensions both are very good for search engine optimization. There is no difference between them. But i think it is good to buy .com domain extensions if they are available. Because .com domain extensions are remembered by the people easily for a ling time.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5076836].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author paologiannone
    Getting a .comdom ain is better because .com sounds better, in terms of seo there is not difference
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5077039].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fordsmith
    I think .com is more user friendly than the .info. Because when user think of any site it comes .com in their mind but if you use .info instead than user will get confused and don't get right site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5083497].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Yildiz
    Okay here's my two cents about this topic. I think that a .info would actually be better if you were running an affiliate based site with product reviews. The person that is searching for reviews would rather get a review from a site that is an informational site rather then one that is commercial. That's just how I view it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5752936].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FaBiz
    If you know SEO you can rank .com, .info etc the same way.

    There's no difference between them for SEO purposes.

    FaBiz
    Signature
    Increase Your Social Exposure by 400%!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5754282].message }}

Trending Topics