How do you know if someone is trying to sabotage your site's rankings?

10 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hey Guys,

How do you know if someone is trying to sabotage your rankings? Here's what's happening...

I have a bunch of sites that rank in google for certain keywords.

They all get traffic, but over the last few days 3 or 4 of them have seen a spike in traffic mainly because, according to analytics, one site is linking to all of them.

But the traffic it is sending is bot traffic. At least it appears that way because the average time on site for traffic from this site is 0:00.

Have any of you had something similar happen to your sites?

Thanks,
Jason
#rankings #sabotage #site
  • Profile picture of the author Evan-M
    Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

    Hey Guys,

    How do you know if someone is trying to sabotage your rankings? Here's what's happening...

    I have a bunch of sites that rank in google for certain keywords.

    They all get traffic, but over the last few days 3 or 4 of them have seen a spike in traffic mainly because, according to analytics, one site is linking to all of them.

    But the traffic it is sending is bot traffic. At least it appears that way because the average time on site for traffic from this site is 0:00.

    Have any of you had something similar happen to your sites?

    Thanks,
    Jason
    Personally I hear people worry about other people sabotage there site daily...and rarly do I ever confirm it.I work on 5-10 sites a week , and have countless calls to "fix sites". I just check one of my sites, and have 9 bots "online" right this very minute all active in the last 60 seconds, 1 of them came from the warrior forum. Are they trying to sabotage me? No. The bot found and followed a link here.

    Its a lot more work to hurt someones rankings than it is to just outrank them, and once you know what you are doing you can get pr5-6 with little effort. And follow logs to block any threats if your really worried about it.

    Just my 2 cents, I would take the time your worrying about it, and apply it to seo and site optimization in case someone ever does try, there efforts would go in vein.
    Signature

    Evan-M

    Easily The Worlds Best Wordpress Popup plugin

    Visit Website Design Firm For All Your Wordpress Coding Needs

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5124217].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
      Originally Posted by Evan-M View Post

      Personally I hear people worry about other people sabotage there site daily...and rarly do I ever confirm it.I work on 5-10 sites a week , and have countless calls to "fix sites". I just check one of my sites, and have 9 bots "online" right this very minute all active in the last 60 seconds, 1 of them came from the warrior forum. Are they trying to sabotage me? No. The bot found and followed a link here.

      Its a lot more work to hurt someones rankings than it is to just outrank them, and once you know what you are doing you can get pr5-6 with little effort. And follow logs to block any threats if your really worried about it.

      Just my 2 cents, I would take the time your worrying about it, and apply it to seo and site optimization in case someone ever does try, there efforts would go in vein.
      I hear you Evan. It's just weird that one site out of nowhere, which is totally unrelated to any of my sites, is linking to 8 or 9 of my sites and sending sh*tty useless bot traffic for no apparent reason.

      I feel like it's finding out all of my sites through my server or something and it's kind of freaking me out.

      I don't know what to make of it.
      Signature

      "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

      Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5124229].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Evan-M
        Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

        I hear you Evan. It's just weird that one site out of nowhere, which is totally unrelated to any of my sites, is linking to 8 or 9 of my sites and sending sh*tty useless bot traffic for no apparent reason.

        I feel like it's finding out all of my sites through my server or something and it's kind of freaking me out.

        I don't know what to make of it.
        are they actually linking to all your sites? or linking to one, and the bots are following on page links to the others?...also it could be one of them stupid "scraper" sites grabbing content....linking everywhere. They are really common now.
        Signature

        Evan-M

        Easily The Worlds Best Wordpress Popup plugin

        Visit Website Design Firm For All Your Wordpress Coding Needs

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5124236].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
          Originally Posted by Evan-M View Post

          are they actually linking to all your sites? or linking to one, and the bots are following on page links to the others?
          Directly linking to each of the sites.
          Signature

          "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

          Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5124250].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Evan-M
            Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

            Directly linking to each of the sites.
            Do they have any pr? lol write a php script that detects the referring url, if a bot comes from that page that isn't Google send them on a wild never ending goose chase of a page that links to a page then back lol no other links, and the bot will get stuck there. But at the same time you can pickup the pr from the link lol
            Signature

            Evan-M

            Easily The Worlds Best Wordpress Popup plugin

            Visit Website Design Firm For All Your Wordpress Coding Needs

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5124256].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Evan-M
              <?php
              //modify for problem bots
              function is_bot($user_agent)
              {
              //if no user agent is supplied then assume it's a bot
              if($user_agent == "")
              return 1;

              //array of bot strings to check for
              $bot_strings = Array( "google", "bot",
              "yahoo", "spider",
              "archiver", "curl",
              "python", "nambu",
              "twitt", "perl",
              "sphere", "PEAR",
              "java", "wordpress",
              "radian", "crawl",
              "yandex", "eventbox",
              "monitor", "mechanize",
              "facebookexternal"
              );
              foreach($bot_strings as $bot)
              {
              if(strpos($user_agent,$bot) !== false)
              { return 1; }
              }

              return 0;
              }


              $ref = getenv("HTTP_REFERER");
              if ($ref == 'domain.com'){
              run above function to check if its the "bad bot"
              if it is > redirect to page that dosn't let them leave
              }
              ?>
              Signature

              Evan-M

              Easily The Worlds Best Wordpress Popup plugin

              Visit Website Design Firm For All Your Wordpress Coding Needs

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5124274].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
    No the site linking to all of my sites via a bot is junk. I think it's doing it at the server level. How else could it have known I owned all of these sites. They are in different niches.
    Signature

    "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

    Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5124273].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Evan-M
      Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

      No the site linking to all of my sites via a bot is junk. I think it's doing it at the server level. How else could it have known I owned all of these sites. They are in different niches.
      well they could just whois the domain and find all the domains on the same server.
      Signature

      Evan-M

      Easily The Worlds Best Wordpress Popup plugin

      Visit Website Design Firm For All Your Wordpress Coding Needs

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5124277].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jasondinner
        Originally Posted by Evan-M View Post

        well they could just whois the domain and find all the domains on the same server.
        Very true.

        Is that code above the script you were talking about?

        Thanks!
        Jason
        Signature

        "Human thoughts have the tendency to transform themselves into their physical equivalent." Earl Nightingale

        Super Affiliates Hang Out Here

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5124372].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Evan-M
          Originally Posted by jasondinner View Post

          Very true.

          Is that code above the script you were talking about?

          Thanks!
          Jason


          yeah, well you need to modify it to detect the bots you don't want on your page, then whenever you site detects any of them bots have them redirected somewhere else. Protects your site, and lets normal bots and visitors enjoy your site, and at the same time lets you keep the links lol.
          Signature

          Evan-M

          Easily The Worlds Best Wordpress Popup plugin

          Visit Website Design Firm For All Your Wordpress Coding Needs

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5124412].message }}

Trending Topics