On-page done, initial rankings terrible in low competition niche?

9 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I just launched a new site (sorry can't give the url) and the initial rankings are terrible (some keywords in the 50's, 80's, and 100's, some not indexed at all).

The site has lots of content (20 pages) that is all very well written and 100% unique. Each page has 400+ words, title and meta tags are all done well. The overall theme of the site is the same so there is one main keyword on the home page and long tail and lsi keywords on other pages.

Any ideas why the initial rankings would be so terrible in a very low competition niche?

If the site is ranked poorly upon initial launch will it make it much harder to rank it when I start building backlinks (the site has no backlinks yet)?
#competition #initial #low #niche #onpage #rankings #terrible
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    Most sites rank terrible without any kind of backlinks, people who say that content on itself ranks have no clue what they are talking about.

    A few dozen backlinks will do miracles if it's really low competition. Just add a dozen web2.0's, some manual bookmarks and a dozen posts at some private blog network and you'll show up at page 1 in less then 2 weeks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5703827].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shawn Wilson
      Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

      Most sites rank terrible without any kind of backlinks, people who say that content on itself ranks have no clue what they are talking about.

      A few dozen backlinks will do miracles if it's really low competition. Just add a dozen web2.0's, some manual bookmarks and a dozen posts at some private blog network and you'll show up at page 1 in less then 2 weeks.
      I have to agree. Throw a few quality backlinks and you SERP should rise. Just order a few Fiverr gigs for social bookmarks and a spun article or web 2.0 backlinks.

      You should see some good movement at that point.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5704301].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Nicky Papers
    Originally Posted by Letsurf View Post

    If the site is ranked poorly upon initial launch will it make it much harder to rank it when I start building backlinks (the site has no backlinks yet)?
    No. The rankings of your site upon initial launch have no influence on the potential for ranking competitively when you start building links. You need to start building links, that's the next step. The sooner the better!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5704355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bigcat1967
    I just launched a new site (sorry can't give the url) and the initial rankings are terrible (some keywords in the 50's, 80's, and 100's, some not indexed at all).

    The site has lots of content (20 pages) that is all very well written and 100% unique. Each page has 400+ words, title and meta tags are all done well. The overall theme of the site is the same so there is one main keyword on the home page and long tail and lsi keywords on other pages.

    Any ideas why the initial rankings would be so terrible in a very low competition niche?

    If the site is ranked poorly upon initial launch will it make it much harder to rank it when I start building backlinks (the site has no backlinks yet)?
    1) Your site is way to young to expect it to do anything in the SERPs - the older the site, the better off it is.

    2) Twenty pages is not a lot

    3) Having 400 pages per page is not a lot and in fact - since the Panda rollout from last year - they are actually expecting double that. Try to get at least 600 words per page.
    Signature

    <a href="https://changeyourbudget.com/save-money-on-your-water-bill/">How to Lower Your Water Bill</a>

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5706623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TourPlanet
    dear its very good that you are in search but be remember that you have to do a quality of work to create back links and good quality content.
    and be remember this is a continuous working so done it daily
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5706664].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ktonline
    Yeah, I have to agree nik0. Get some backlinks and you should see some magic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5706715].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J0hnnycl1ckz
    All my low competition micro niche sites are initially ranked 20-30 at best and ~60 at the worst. 400 words per article is definitely not good...you need to double that. 750 words is the bare minimum for any article I create. Here's my process for ranking these sites after they have got their initial G evaluation:

    First 2 weeks do nothing. I find that waiting to build any links on a new site helps alot. 3rd week I social bookmark every page...1-2 pages a day to about 25 social bookmarking sites each. All different. 4th week I build a web 2.0 link pyramid to each page with atleast 6 web 2.0 properties each. All different. 5th week, I use scrapebox to find relevant, high pr, MODERATED, dofollow blogs and post comments leaving useful information. I prefer moderated blogs because they will have lower out bound links and your link will have more value once approved.

    I then rinse and repeat week 3-5 as I see necessary. I never ping any backlinks, I let G find them on their own. Also for week 3-5 I post in about 10 different forums each week (minimum 10 posts each) helping people who would be interested in the niche.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5707261].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Letsurf
      Originally Posted by J0hnnycl1ckz View Post

      All my low competition micro niche sites are initially ranked 20-30 at best and ~60 at the worst. 400 words per article is definitely not good...you need to double that. 750 words is the bare minimum for any article I create. Here's my process for ranking these sites after they have got their initial G evaluation:

      First 2 weeks do nothing. I find that waiting to build any links on a new site helps alot. 3rd week I social bookmark every page...1-2 pages a day to about 25 social bookmarking sites each. All different. 4th week I build a web 2.0 link pyramid to each page with atleast 6 web 2.0 properties each. All different. 5th week, I use scrapebox to find relevant, high pr, MODERATED, dofollow blogs and post comments leaving useful information. I prefer moderated blogs because they will have lower out bound links and your link will have more value once approved.

      I then rinse and repeat week 3-5 as I see necessary. I never ping any backlinks, I let G find them on their own. Also for week 3-5 I post in about 10 different forums each week (minimum 10 posts each) helping people who would be interested in the niche.

      Thanks for the great info. I have a different method that I was going to use on this site to test it out (I haven't tried this yet) and was wondering which method would work better. Here is it:

      Slow natural process
      Vary anchor text to look natural.
      focus on having a lot of in-depth and long posts, with a few medium and short ones thrown in for good measure.
      Use 1-2% keyword density.
      Above the fold (viewable area) should have the majority of your content.

      Step 1: Write 10-15 quality articles 700-1,000 words. Post to website on different pages (one page per keyword/article), after they are indexed post them to ezine. In resource box use one link to money site and one link to inside pages (or web2.0 property) using that pages keyword as anchor. Be sure to get a list of urls so we can link to these later. Create RSS feed of blog and send (or have sent) to various feed aggregators such as FeedAgg, Feedage, and countless others.

      Step 2: Submit 20-30 lower quality (spun or rewritten maybe) articles to different directories other than ezine(like ezine but 2nd tier goarticles...) Also submit to related niche sites using BMR or other content network. Link them to money page and secondary pages as well.

      Step 3: 50-100 posts to blog networks (research and find high quality blog networks, post 100+ words each). Most links to 2nd and 1st tier articles, a few to money site or subpages. Look for a good quality blog network.

      Step 4: Directory Submissions: 150-200 backlinks. Link them to money site. Hire someone on fiverr.com. 100 links lower, 100 links PR4+.

      Step 5: Web 2.0 stuff. Choose 5-10 top web 2.0 sites. Build web 2.0 networks, then post content (quality content because it is close to money site). Use it to actually build profiles.

      Step 6: Social Bookmarking. 10-20 bookmarking accounts. 150 bookmarks. 15 per day. Bookmarking demon. Link to everywhere. Linked back to the article with keyword that they were trying to get ranked.

      Step 7: Videos - Premium content promoting money site (do this myself). 10-15 videos.
      Use traffic geyser or traffic mogul, tubemogul to submit videos. Make sure to social bookmark the videos once their up.

      Step 8: Build your own network: domains on different hosting accounts under different names to appear like they are from different people... 5-10 sites. Register domains early and get the page live (put one page article up with some content, then send a few links to it so it gets indexed) so it starts aging.
      Wordpress direct, portal feeder, automated way to build network sites .
      Aweber.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5707489].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author cfl
        Originally Posted by Letsurf View Post

        Thanks for the great info. I have a different method that I was going to use on this site to test it out (I haven't tried this yet) and was wondering which method would work better. Here is it:

        Slow natural process
        Vary anchor text to look natural.
        focus on having a lot of in-depth and long posts, with a few medium and short ones thrown in for good measure.
        Use 1-2% keyword density.
        Above the fold (viewable area) should have the majority of your content.

        Step 1: Write 10-15 quality articles 700-1,000 words. Post to website on different pages (one page per keyword/article), after they are indexed post them to ezine. In resource box use one link to money site and one link to inside pages (or web2.0 property) using that pages keyword as anchor. Be sure to get a list of urls so we can link to these later. Create RSS feed of blog and send (or have sent) to various feed aggregators such as FeedAgg, Feedage, and countless others.

        Step 2: Submit 20-30 lower quality (spun or rewritten maybe) articles to different directories other than ezine(like ezine but 2nd tier goarticles...) Also submit to related niche sites using BMR or other content network. Link them to money page and secondary pages as well.

        Step 3: 50-100 posts to blog networks (research and find high quality blog networks, post 100+ words each). Most links to 2nd and 1st tier articles, a few to money site or subpages. Look for a good quality blog network.

        Step 4: Directory Submissions: 150-200 backlinks. Link them to money site. Hire someone on fiverr.com. 100 links lower, 100 links PR4+.

        Step 5: Web 2.0 stuff. Choose 5-10 top web 2.0 sites. Build web 2.0 networks, then post content (quality content because it is close to money site). Use it to actually build profiles.

        Step 6: Social Bookmarking. 10-20 bookmarking accounts. 150 bookmarks. 15 per day. Bookmarking demon. Link to everywhere. Linked back to the article with keyword that they were trying to get ranked.

        Step 7: Videos - Premium content promoting money site (do this myself). 10-15 videos.
        Use traffic geyser or traffic mogul, tubemogul to submit videos. Make sure to social bookmark the videos once their up.

        Step 8: Build your own network: domains on different hosting accounts under different names to appear like they are from different people... 5-10 sites. Register domains early and get the page live (put one page article up with some content, then send a few links to it so it gets indexed) so it starts aging.
        Wordpress direct, portal feeder, automated way to build network sites .
        Aweber.
        I am agree with these tips , if any one can do it properly , site will rank easily

        Thanks
        Signature
        Professional Organic Website Marketing & Ethical White Hat SEO services Provider

        Monthly SEO services started from $ 99
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5707531].message }}

Trending Topics