2 Web-sites Banned in 3 days!

61 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi

Can you take a look at them and tell me why they got banned?

brainpractices.com

learn-spanish-words.com

Starting to believe that my theory about negative SEO is correct.

The web-sites did not link TO other sites. They were getting links FROM some linkbuilding sites.
#banned #days #websites
  • Profile picture of the author jmidas
    your sites seem innocent enough - must be the sites you used to get links. Maybe these sites have a bad rep?? You didn't say which linkbuilding sites you used, but my guess would be that.

    What is your theory on neg SEO?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519090].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ildarius
      It's strange because my other sites are not banned (although these are more aged)..

      I used a couple of common places, don't want to give them a bad rep... but those are NOT
      link farms. Subscription based service where you get access to some blogs to which you can post.


      Theory is that you can ban a web-site from Google by linking TO it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519098].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BlackWaterBlog
    Might want to go signup @ Google Webmaster Tools and possibly request a reconsideration with them.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519111].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author askloz
      mate, your site is not banned, if it was your page rank will be grayed out.

      give it time to come back.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519141].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jmidas
        Hopefully you will see them pop right back up soon.

        I suspect your negatice seo theory is not quite right - I would gladly kill all my competitors by just giving them a bunch of links. I think Google is not likely to let that happen. Anyway, I hope it is not right.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519162].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author BlackWaterBlog
          Originally Posted by jmidas View Post

          Hopefully you will see them pop right back up soon.

          I suspect your negatice seo theory is not quite right - I would gladly kill all my competitors by just giving them a bunch of links. I think Google is not likely to let that happen. Anyway, I hope it is not right.
          That is quite frankly poor etiquette, especially when you kill them they can turn right around and kill you back therefor wasting your time.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519172].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ildarius
            Might want to go signup @ Google Webmaster Tools and possibly request a reconsideration with them.
            Already done, ty.

            mate, your site is not banned, if it was your page rank will be grayed out.
            I think they might be banned because nothing comes up for the operator site:URL (all of a sudden 0 pages are indexed in Google)
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519210].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author askloz
              trust me, it's not banned, if it was banned, your page rank would of gone too.

              Originally Posted by ildarius View Post

              Already done, ty.



              I think they might be banned because nothing comes up for the operator site:URL (all of a sudden 0 pages are indexed in Google)
              Signature
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519278].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Kay King
                loz is right - they aren't banned. May be jumping around in the SERPs right now.

                kay
                Signature
                Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

                Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519333].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author bgmacaw
                  How long have they been indexed? If it's under a year then sites that don't have a lot of authority will tend to drop in and out of search results as Google tinkers with rankings. If these are sites that have been indexed for a while there could be cause for worry though.

                  Another possibility would be if you changed the site structure considerably or was your site down or parked within the past month or so. Changes like this can cause the site not to be indexed or to pop in and out of results.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519517].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Christie01
                    Just wanted to chime in here and say the same thing has happened to me. Yesterday morning, I had 3 sites indexed by Google, and one was in the 4th spot on page 1 for its targeted keywords. Now ALL of them have been completely de-indexed. I am signed up for Google Webmaster tools, and it's telling me that "No pages from your site are currently included in Google's index."

                    I'm sorry this is happening to other people, but it gives me hope, seeing as it's not just me. I guess I'll sit back for a few days and see what happens.

                    - Christine
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519593].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author johncarterinc
                      Originally Posted by Christie01 View Post

                      Just wanted to chime in here and say the same thing has happened to me. Yesterday morning, I had 3 sites indexed by Google, and one was in the 4th spot on page 1 for its targeted keywords. Now ALL of them have been completely de-indexed. I am signed up for Google Webmaster tools, and it's telling me that "No pages from your site are currently included in Google's index."

                      I'm sorry this is happening to other people, but it gives me hope, seeing as it's not just me. I guess I'll sit back for a few days and see what happens.

                      - Christine
                      This happened to me too recently. Two sites disappeared for a few days then popped back up in the rankings where they were before. What a relief...
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[522957].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Patrick Warren
                        Originally Posted by johncarterinc View Post

                        This happened to me too recently. Two sites disappeared for a few days then popped back up in the rankings where they were before. What a relief...
                        It happened to me too, went from being #3 on the first page of Google to seemingly not existing, then now showing up at #7... a sigh of relief

                        a possible solution....anyone have any thoughts of adding more content to a site that disappeared and then pinging the site? or does this only work for blogs?
                        Signature

                        Easy and fast, effective muscle gain, weight loss, and getting a 6 pack

                        No Nonsense Muscle Building

                        Patrick Warren offline SEO in Los Angeles

                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[528629].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
                          Loz, here is my research! Read it if you know how to read, rather than to go round and insulting people. If I am braindead, then you are already physically dead, buried and is now a walking zombie.

                          Banned By Google? Dealing With A Google Ban Part 1


                          "How Do I Tell If My Site Has Really Been Banned From Google?
                          First, let's point out that having a site banned from Google is a fairly rare event, reserved for particularly egregious behavior. Usually, most objectionable offenses result in a reduced search engine rank; not an outright ban. Your page may still be in Google's index, it's just no longer residing in the upper echelon of the search results.

                          At one time, the Google toolbar was a fairly easy and effective way to find out if you had been banned from Google: A completely gray PageRank toolbar meant that Google did not have that page listed in their index - either because the page was too new to have been indexed, or the page had been banned by Google; a completely white tool bar meant that the page was listed by Google but had almost no PageRank, or that the PageRank hadn't been calculated yet.

                          To a large degree, however, these guidelines are no longer reliable. The PageRank reporting, as indicated on the Google toolbar, has been inconsistent for the past several months now. PageRank updates have been taking an inordinately long time and often appear to be flatly inaccurate. Adding to the confusion are reports that banned pages are sometimes showing a white bar, sometimes gray, and sometimes even green. We're not sure whether Google is having technical issues or if Google is purposefully crippling the PageRank feature to make search engine optimization more difficult.

                          Whatever the case may be, we can no longer consider the PageRank feature of the Google toolbar to a reliable indicator of whether or not a page has been intentionally dropped (banned) from the Google index. Fortunately, however, there are much more effective ways to determine if your site has been removed from Google.


                          The easiest way to tell if your site has been banned and completely removed from Google's index is to enter the following into the Google search bar:


                          site:www.yoursite.com
                          (replace www.yoursite.com with the domain name of the site you think may be banned)


                          This will show you most of the pages that Google has indexed for this domain. If this doesn't produce any results, try searching for some text - such as an address or phone number - that you are sure is unique to pages from your site and were previously indexed by Google. You could also try searching for a short piece of text. For example, to see if this page is indexed, we might search Google for the opening phrase of this article"

                          "Picture this: You're a successful entrepreneur running a bustling"

                          Be sure to include the quotation marks so that Google searches for the entire string. And, limit the phrase to Google's 10-word query limit.

                          If your page shows up in Google's search results, then you have not been banned. If neither searching for a unique string of text nor doing a site: search produces results, then your page/site is definitely not in Google's index.

                          Don't panic yet... this still doesn't necessarily mean that you've been banned by Google. There are several other causes for a site falling out of the Google index.

                          If I Haven't Been Banned, Then Why Am I No Longer Listed?

                          The most common reason that your site might disappear from Google is that your server was down when googlebot came calling to re-index your site. If their spider tries to download a page but instead gets either no response or an excessively slow response, it will assume that site or page no longer exists. Presto! ...you're deleted. To prevent this from happening, follow the steps we outline in our comprehensive article about maximizing your site's uptime.

                          Another common reason your site can disappear from Google is a faulty robots.txt file. We recommend robots.txt files as a great way to keep portions of your site off limits to search engine spiders. For instance, there's probably no reason for Google to index your images directory or your cgi-bin directory, so why waste their time and your resources by allowing spiders to access parts of your site you don't need indexed.

                          However, it your robots.txt file is written or set up incorrectly, you could be inadvertently shutting googlebot out of your site altogether. One common mistake we see is where someone places the following code in their robots.txt:


                          User-agent: *
                          Disallow: /


                          These two lines, when placed in a robots.txt file located in the top-level directory on your server, are enough to exclude every search engine spider from your entire site! Not only will you not get indexed by Google, you probably won't be indexed by any other search engine either. And even if you were indexed previously, a poorly done robots.txt file can easily get your site deleted from the engines.

                          To insure you are crystal clear about the correct procedures, be sure to familiarize yourself with the robots exclusion protocol.

                          ( Editor's Note: Use the robots.txt tester to check your robots file for errors or create a new one from scratch using the Simple robots.txt Creator. )

                          Another commonly overlooked reason for dropping out of the Google index is that your site recently lost some links. If your site was made up of pages that had almost no PageRank to begin with, and those pages lost some of their incoming links, it's possible that your PageRank dropped so low that your site was removed from Google's index. While rare, this does occasionally happen, so check your incoming links and make sure you still have enough good ones to keep you well-listed in Google.

                          Finally, sometimes getting booted from Google can simply be chalked up to faulty behavior by the Google spider. It's not easy to maintain an index of over four billion pages every month. Sometimes things go wrong. If you think this may be the case, your best recourse is to contact Google directly at help@google.com. Calmly explain your situation. Politely ask them why your pages were removed from their listings. If it is their fault, they will usually reinstate your site fairly quickly - that is, once they've responded to your email, which can take up to a week or more. "

                          I would say that your sites does not have a lot of content at the moment. I would brush up your sites and submit a sitemap and/or re-inclusion request. Failing that, I would just make another start with new domains on your sites. If your sites are new, it may be possible that you are flipping in and out of the Google index at the moment. But as I mentioned earlier, the picture should be clearer in a few weeks time.

                          You should also read the second part of this article.

                          http://www.searchenginepromotionhelp...ogle-ban-2.php

                          Derek
                          Signature

                          Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[529123].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
                Originally Posted by askloz View Post

                trust me, it's not banned, if it was banned, your page rank would of gone too.
                Loz, if they are not in google's index, they are banned. This has happened to hundreds of my sites and so I am well aware of Google's procedure. I have been following this carefully for the past 9 months.

                Trust me, their pagerank would be gone with 4 weeks, probably by the end of this month. Right now, I have got a number of PR5 and PR6 sites that are de-indexed and I expect them to lose their PR soon. Once de-indexed, it is almost impossible for a banned site to come back.

                The sites look innocent enough although they are not of particularly high quality. I would mount the content under another domain and see what happens.


                Derek
                Signature

                Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[526182].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author askloz
                  Sorry, you're wrong, that's complete nonsense.

                  I've had my sites jump in and out of the google index, and now I'm ranking 1st out of 28 million results for one phrase, 5th out of 492 million results for another, and also 5th for this one too
                  Results 1 - 10 of about 95,400,000 for article blog submitter. (0.19 seconds)

                  Google first analyzes the page, against all the other pages as well, and ranks you accordingly after it sorts things out... then it'll delist you temporarily until it does more processing. eventually it will come back.

                  If your site is de-listed, then you will see a gray bar in the PR row if you use quirk status firefox plugin.

                  Originally Posted by derekwong28 View Post

                  Loz, if they are not in google's index, they are banned. This has happened to hundreds of my sites and so I am well aware of Google's procedure. Trust me, their pagerank would be gone with 4 weeks, probably by the end of this month. It is almost impossible for a banned site to come back.

                  The sites look innocent enough although they are not of particularly high quality. I would mount the content under another domain and see what happens.


                  Derek

                  Pls don't tell me what's right and what's not, I know what I am saying is correct, I make a bloody good living off of Google's search engine with over 10 million unique visitors combined through 700+ of my websites. I've been doing this stuff long enough to know what is a banned site and what isn't.
                  Signature
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[526201].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ildarius
    trust me, it's not banned, if it was banned, your page rank would of gone too.
    trust me, it's not banned, if it was banned, your page rank would of gone too.
    That's great news.

    So when the web-site is banned it has to be

    A) De-Indexed from Google (mine are)

    AND

    B) Lose all of its pagerank

    ?


    Thank you
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519470].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      This is some great info about banned sites.
      What by banned do you mean?
      Banned form search results, or banned from adsense program?
      I see how a site can get banned from adsense, but being
      banned from search results may be just a case of getting
      buried. Does banned really mean banned completely?
      I had a site that got infected by an iframe, then that showed
      up on google as a hacked site. Then got fixed, and the
      site showed as normal. I was worried that was going to ban
      me.

      Paulgl
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519510].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dburk
      Hi ildarius,

      If your site has been dropped from Google's index, and yours appears to have been, they will usually report the reason in Webmaster Tools. Have you looked there under the diagnostics to see what is reported?

      The only problem I saw when I looked at your sites was hidden text on brainpractices and some invalid code that may be preventing the bots from crawling properly.

      I would remove the hidden text, clean up your invalid code and address any problems reported in the webmater tools diagnostic area, then submit a request for reconsideration.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519889].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ildarius
        Thank you all for the replies, I truly appreciate it.

        I will clean up the code.

        Can someone please explain what being banned means (I thought it means when you get de-indexed)?

        Brainpractices is not brand new (it's been there since last summer).
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519903].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Darren Mallory
          I agree using google's webmaster tools will give you a clue as to why it was dropped.
          Signature

          Fully Automated Work From Home Affiliate Websites. No Technical Knowledge Required + FREE Domain Name + FREE Hosting + FREE Training Videos! 200+ Websites to choose from! Check Out Our Ebay Store:
          CLICK HERE TO SEE OUR STORE

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[520411].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author dburk
          Hi ildarius,

          Google doesn't use the term banned, except when you are permanently banned from one of their advertising programs or perhaps a forum.

          When it comes to search results, they refer to it as being "dropped" from the index. Anything that prevents their spider from crawling your site or doesn't comply with their guidelines could cause your site to be dropped from their index.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[520413].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author ildarius
            Thank you


            Webmastertools didn't show anything significant, I posted in the google groups, will see if an employee would be kind enough to see into it.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[520683].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author askloz
              Here try this... I also notice your brain thingy site don't have any robots on there.

              Code:
              <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="ROR" href="ror.xml" />
              <meta name="robots" content="index,follow" />
              <meta name="googlebot" content="index,follow" />
              <meta name="msnbot" content="index,follow" />
              <meta name="search engines" content="Aeiwi, Alexa, AllTheWeb, AltaVista, Netfind, Anzwers, Canada, DirectHit, EuroSeek, Excite, Overture, Go, HotBot, InfoMak, Kanoodle, Lycos, MasterSite, National Directory, Northern Light, SearchIt, SimpleSearch, WebsMostLinked, WebTop, What-U-Seek, AOL, Yahoo, WebCrawler, Infoseek, Excite, Magellan, LookSmart, CNET" />
              <meta name="distribution" content="global" />
              <meta name="rating" content="general">
              now the link rel one, is to tell the search engines to read that file first... "ror.xml", it's a search engine sitemap, just like a rss feed.
              you can use these rss feeds to submit to rss feed directories to speed up the indexing process.
              Signature
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[520726].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author flashfreakmx
                Hello I saw all the talk about SEO. Since so many people in here know about SEO... would you mind taking a look at my site? It is similar to hubspot, but it is free for one domain.

                Rhinoseo.com (can't do links yet)

                Please sign up and give me any feedback you can. I would love to hear comments. You can email feedback[at]rhinoseo.com

                Many Thanks!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[520874].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author ildarius
                  now the link rel one, is to tell the search engines to read that file first... "ror.xml", it's a search engine sitemap, just like a rss feed.
                  you can use these rss feeds to submit to rss feed directories to speed up the indexing process.
                  Thank you, what do I put inside of the ror.xml?

                  P.S: Appears Google IS reshuffling the site, I saw a couple of hits from Google, but when I search for it now, it's still de-indexed

                  Very strange!
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[522830].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kflanagan28
    This is strange, maybe Google playing around with their algorithm at the moment. This kind of stuff really does put into perspective how much we are all in Google hands ..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519626].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ildarius
    Another possibility would be if you changed the site structure considerably or was your site down or parked within the past month or so. Changes like this can cause the site not to be indexed or to pop in and out of results.
    Brainpractices was indexed for a while now, it had almost no link building and grew naturally.
    No major restructuring was performed on the site.
    At this point there is not much hope that it's being reshuffled, since there are no pages indexed at this point (nothing to shuffle with ).

    I'm sorry this is happening to other people, but it gives me hope, seeing as it's not just me. I guess I'll sit back for a few days and see what happens.
    Last time it happened it never got back, not much hope unfortunately
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519691].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AndyBlackSEO
    As Loz says, they haven't been banned. If a site is fairly new, it is very common for them to disappear from Googles index for a day or so. They will come back after that time. Google is just working with your site and evaluating it before placing it back in it's index.
    Signature
    The Worlds Most Effective Video Creation and Marketing Software... CLICK HERE ...
    ... Create and rank professional marketing videos fast and efficiently.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[519739].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FitJerk
    Wait wait... how do you know if your site is banned or not? Does Google send you an email themselves, or do you have to find this out on your own?

    I don't think assumption is a good idea when it comes to these matters. Is there a 100% way of being sure? Short of ASKING Google boldly?
    Signature
    [FJ's Hidden Gem] - This Transforms Warriors Into Assassins!
    [FitJerk's Blog] - Fitness Tips So Effective, They Should Be Illegal!
    [Opt-In Manual] - How I Exploded My Opt-Ins by 200%! FREE Report, No Email Needed!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[522864].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author askloz
      if you read what I said, you will notice i said the PR bar will be grayed out.
      SearchStatus | Firefox SEO Toolbar Extension firefox plugin.

      Originally Posted by metalslug View Post

      Wait wait... how do you know if your site is banned or not? Does Google send you an email themselves, or do you have to find this out on your own?

      I don't think assumption is a good idea when it comes to these matters. Is there a 100% way of being sure? Short of ASKING Google boldly?
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[523009].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Christie01
    Just thought I'd pop back and see how it's going for you. Two of my sites now have just their home pages re-indexed, so I'm breathing a small sigh of relief. Take care all!

    - Christine
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[523312].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author brandon123
    The page jumping happens a lot. I've rose and fell from page to page before receiving a high SERP. Just be patient a continue to build quality backlinks.

    Brandon
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[525665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author scene4u
    Take a look at the sites, I can not see a reason why your sites have been banned but you must have a link to your site from a highly distrusted site.
    Signature

    Psychic Readings http://www.kooma.co.uk
    Search engine optimisation Londonhttp://www.searchsensations.com
    Abs Workout Now http://www.absworkoutnow.co.uk

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[525860].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GingerColeen
      Last week or maybe the week before (time goes so fast!), I had a site on the first page of Google and it was #4 out of over 410,000 pages for the keyword without quotes. The next day when I checked, it was number 1 out of 200,000 pages or thereabouts, so I knew Google had done something. That page has bounced up and down over the last few weeks. Not sure what they are doing but I saw 210,000 pages disappear from that search over night!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[525943].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    site:brainpractices.com
    site:learn-spanish-words.com

    Returns no results

    You can only have jump in SERPS unless your site is in Google's index!

    I have hundreds of sites as well and I do follow their indexing very closely.

    I really wished what you have said is true but sadly, this has not been borne out for my sites, especially for the past 6 months.

    Right now, I have 6*PR6 sites and 41*PR5 sites that are de-indexed. I fully expext their PR to go within 4 weeks it not by the end of this month. If they are re-included and keep their PR, I really should buy everybody a drink!
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[526216].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author askloz
      you got banned on the brain, both those sites still have a PR on them, just because it's not in the index at the moment, does NOT mean it's banned. It's still being processed!

      read what I have said in other posts and stop assuming things based on that search function below.


      I repeat...

      A BANNED SITE WILL HAVE A GRAYED OUT PR BAR!


      Originally Posted by derekwong28 View Post

      site:brainpractices.com
      site:learn-spanish-words.com

      Returns no results

      You can only have jump in SERPS unless your site is in Google's index!

      I have hundreds of sites as well and I do follow their indexing very closely.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[526232].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    Loz, I stand by what I say. I respected you and your posts enormously in the past. This is only a forum and I don't feel your reaction is justified. Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean you can start insulting them like this!

    I stand by what I said because I make much of my living out of the Google toolbar system. I have more than a thousand sites and this is my own experience although it seems to be different from yours. You may have the experience and strategy to get de-indexed sites back into Google but I don't. I expect their toolbar to be greyed out in due course.

    It is possible that the Internal PageRank has already gone but it take time for Google to export it to the toolbar.
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[526255].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author askloz
      Well, if you want to remain wrong all your life, go for it, no skin off my nose... do some research first before claiming something that is true...

      WHITE pagerank bar versus GRAY pagerank bar??? Difference versus Rumors?? (View Single Post)

      ===========
      What is a Gray PageRank Bar?

      A gray PageRank Bar can sometimes be observed if you have a Google toolbar installed. Whenever a page has a PR of 0 and Google accepts your page but doesn't think much of it, it will have a white bar. But, if the PageRank bar is gray the page Google may think something totally different of your webpage. There are several causes for a gray PageRank bar.
      Not yet Indexed

      The most common reason for a PageRank bar to be grayed out is that Google just has not indexed you page yet. His can be easily checked by typing in the URL of the webpage in Google. If no results come up, you're okay and you should submit your page to Google, update your Google Sitemap or just wait for it to be indexed if you've just recently added the page to your website. If the page does show up in Google you've got a different problem and you should continue reading this article.
      Banned

      Another common reason for a page to have a grayed out PageRank bar is when Google has decided to ban the webpage. This may be due to a page performing some Black Hat technique like, cloaking, using hidden text or keyword stuffing. But other causes like using duplicate content and linking to bad neighbourhoods have also been reported. If your page has been banned illicitly or you have resolved the issue you can contact Google to have your page removed from the ban list.
      Supplemental Results

      A third and new reason for a page to get a gray PageRank bar is for being a supplemental result. Supplemental pages are still 'respected' by Google and thus add to your websites total Pagecount, but are not recognized as pages supporting your main content. They are basically seen as duplicate content within a website. I suspect Google added this factor as some websites were producing a huge amount of pages (sometimes, the same articles with just some words changed) to boost their Pagecount and their possibilities for internal PageRank voting (as each page counts for a vote, even if the PageRank is 0). A good example of a page de-emphasized due to being a Supplemental Result is: CNN - U.S. officials downplay chances of new Korean war - March 28, 1996. Supplemental pages are usually old, are short on content, spammy, not easily found and thus rarely viewed.



      =============
      Source:
      Gray PageRank Bar
      ===========================








      Originally Posted by derekwong28 View Post

      Loz, I stand by what I say. I respected your posts in the past. This is only a forum and I don't feel your reaction is justified.

      I stand by what I said because I make much of my living out of the Google toolbar system.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[526278].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    Loz, I am not disagreeing with your observation about Grey and White Toolbar. But we both know that Google does not update its toolbar on a continuous basis but export values in batches. There seems to be a timelag between when a site is actually banned and the actual official value is exported to the toolbar. Why can't you accept the possibility that a ban may take place before the official value is exported to the toolbar?

    What I am saying is that in these past few months, once a site has been de-indexed. It may keep its PR for a while but it will become 0 and greyed out in due course. This has happened to hundreds of my domains. I believe that in my case, the toolbar PR value is not updated immediately the moment the site is de-indexed, but is updated when Google decides to export the next batch.

    It is completely possible that what has happened to my is different to what normally happens to other people. For a start I use MFA sites and do dubious stuff that Google dislikes. It is possible that my sites were manually removed and therefore it may not be typical. What I think has happened in my case is that the de-indexing and greying of the toolbar did not happened simultaneously but one after another.

    I hope you will leave it at that. My lifelihood depends on it. This is what happened to me in practice and I hope you can accept that. You can throw whatever theory you like to me but I work on observation and practice. Loz, your temper really scares me and I hope you are not scaring others off this forum. If you and I were in the same room, I got the sense that you would have used physical violence on me.

    Derek
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[526289].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ildarius
      Will hopefully put that sitemap up like Loz Suggested.

      The sites look innocent enough although they are not of particularly high quality.
      What exactly did you not like about them? What can I improve?


      P.S: As I said brainpractices.com popped back up in the SERPS for a day and now is gone again, will see if it comes back
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[528458].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pearsonbrown
    "The most common reason that your site might disappear from Google is that your server was down when googlebot came calling to re-index your site. If their spider tries to download a page but instead gets either no response or an excessively slow response, it will assume that site or page no longer exists. Presto! ...you're deleted."

    Exactly. That's happened to me several time over the years - and is almost certainly what happened to the OP. My experience is that Google sends the bot back to your site pretty quickly when this happens and you get re-indexed.

    By the way, I thought some of the personal remarks addressed to Loz in this thread were totally outrageous.

    Pearson
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[529144].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
      Originally Posted by pearsonbrown View Post

      "
      By the way, I thought some of the personal remarks addressed to Loz in this thread were totally outrageous.

      Pearson
      I was the person got insulted 3 times before I reponded. I was called brain dead by Loz. Loz edited the posts so that they have toned down a bit. I should have copied his original posts so everybody could see what it was.

      It is always easy for a third party to get in the crossfire, especially since we are allowed to edit our posts.

      Derek
      Signature

      Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[529363].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author askloz
        EXCUSE ME!

        How dare you... I never called you brain dead, I said, you got "Banned on the brain"... Why did I say that? Look above your avatar "banned"... It was a joke. Gee-whiz...

        If I want to call you brain dead, i will, I don't need to edit a post - I am who a I am, and I don't need to kiss any one's arse either. Take me for what I am, don't like it, don't read my posts or reply to them, simple... and besides, I've been having problem with editing posts over the past few days to correct spelling mistakes and what have you.

        You owe me an apology.

        Originally Posted by derekwong28 View Post

        I was the person got insulted 3 times before I reponded. I was called brain dead by Loz. Loz edited the posts so that they have toned down a bit. I should have copied his original posts so everybody could see what it was.
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[529377].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
          I have here since Sep 2003 and I never pick a fight with anybody. Just look at how you replied to my posts. You asked me to provide reseach and I have posted the research

          This is a forum for open discussion. Franky, I don't even a think a single person who works at Google knows 100% how Google functions in its entirity. I am merely reporting my own observations and you go into fit over it and started attacking me.

          Put it this way, do you

          1. Check several hundred sites at twice every week to see whether they are indexed?
          I do.

          2. Check PR status including greyed-out toolbar for everyone of these sites at least twice a week?
          I do.

          This is why I am absolutely sure once one of my sites had been de-indexed, the toolbar PR is greyed out within a few weeks. Again I do not insist that it applies to every other site on the Internet.

          Morover, I have provided research above that seems to be in agreement with my claims.

          As I mentioned earlier, I respected and enjoyed you posts on SEO very much. If you look back, I always supported you point of view whenever we posted on the same thread. But this time, you have just blown your top and made me very dissappointed.

          I will consider apologizing if you consider as well.

          If indeed "Banned on the Brain" is a joke, then do accept my apology as I would have misinterpreted it and over-reacted.


          Derek
          Signature

          Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[529427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pearsonbrown
    whatever you think Loz said to you (and it looks as if you didn't read some of it properly) that doesn't justify making nasty remarks in return. The only consequence is that you will be banned as a Warrior. Since you clearly have interesting things to say, that would be a loss for everybody.

    Both you and Loz are making interesting points based upon your own experience. These posts are much better than those by people who have no experience but post anyway based upon what they have read or on some untested theory. You both deserve to be treated with respect.

    Pearson
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[529434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    "you got banned on the brain"

    This is the statement that really got me upset. I looked at it again and again and I am not sure whether I would have reacted in any other way.

    However, Loz did say it was a joke and gave a credible explanation for it. So I must accept this and apologize to him for my subsequent remarks.

    Frankly, if making a sincere post leads to hours of agitation and unhappiness for me and others, I would prefer not to be around this forum at all.

    Derek
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[529510].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author askloz
      OMG...

      The topic of this thread is about being banned, correct?

      OK, now take a look at your avatar... what does it say above it?

      BANNED!

      So, you joined in on this discussion, giving no evidence to support your claim to say how I was wrong, when I'm not. You just went on and on about how you were right. I had already said why he was not banned.

      Any way, taking all that into light, and taking your "banned" as being funny, hence "you've got banned on the brain"... cos you didn't support your claim, you just said I was wrong.

      get it?



      Originally Posted by derekwong28 View Post

      "you got banned on the brain"

      This is the statement that really got me upset. I looked at it again and again and I am not sure whether I would have reacted in any other way.

      However, Loz did say it was a joke and gave a credible explanation for it. So I must accept this and apologize to him for my subsequent remarks.

      Frankly, if making a sincere post leads to hours of agitation and unhappiness for me and others, I would prefer not to be around this forum at all.

      Derek
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[529609].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ildarius
    Both web-sites are back in the SERP and are both fully indexed.

    News Update: Talked to my host, both sites were down for some period of time
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[529537].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    I did tell Ildarius this earlier

    your sites are new, it may be possible that you are flipping in and out of the Google index at the moment.

    I didn't say you were wrong, but I resented the fact that you said that my own observations on my own sites were wrong. I have been exhaustive research since August last year. This is what I did for hundreds of my sites each time

    1. Check at twice every week to see whether they are indexed.
    2. Check PR status including greyed-out toolbar for everyone of these sites at least twice a week.

    I have had a few hundred sites that were de-indexed during this period. Without fail, they lost their toolnbar PR and became grey after a few weeks.

    I know what I saw and this was extremely important because I lost a lot of income because of it.

    You wanted some third party input and I gave to you here

    Banned By Google? Dealing With A Google Ban Part 1

    "Whatever the case may be, we can no longer consider the PageRank feature of the Google toolbar to a reliable indicator of whether or not a page has been intentionally dropped (banned) from the Google index. Fortunately, however, there are much more effective ways to determine if your site has been removed from Google. "

    But I don't really need any third party to tell me this or that. I know what I saw I hope that you will respect this. It is as if I were being told that my daughter is a boy when she isn't.


    Derek
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[529674].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author askloz
      Originally Posted by derekwong28 View Post

      I did tell Ildarius this earlier

      your sites are new, it may be possible that you are flipping in and out of the Google index at the moment.
      Your argument was, I was wrong. That the site was banned, I said repeatedly, the site was not banned...

      want me to quote you?
      Originally Posted by derekwong28 View Post


      Loz, if they are not in google's index, they are banned. This has happened to hundreds of my sites and so I am well aware of Google's procedure. Trust me, their pagerank would be gone with 4 weeks, probably by the end of this month. It is almost impossible for a banned site to come back.
      I rest my case.

      Originally Posted by derekwong28 View Post



      I didn't say you were wrong, but I resented the fact that you said that my own observations on my own sites were wrong. I have been exhaustive research since August last year. This is what I did for hundreds of my sites each time

      yes you did. You've done exhaustive research since august last year? hmm, back to the drawing board for you. I've been doing SEO for almost 3 years. I think I have the added edge over you mate. I have taught HUNDREDS of people how to do SEO and what to expect (via my own products - that doesn't include the thousands who have read my posts on Brad Callen's forums), and this is one example that i was trying to illustrate, when heaps of ppl say the same thing, 'site was indexed, then de-indexed'.. I keep saying it's a normal process that Google goes through, and to never assume that when a site is de-listed that it's banned, cos it's not the case.


      Originally Posted by derekwong28 View Post



      I have had a few hundred sites that were de-indexed during this period. Without fail, they lost their toolnbar PR and became grey after a few weeks.
      I rest my case, back to the drawing board for you then... few hundred sites de-indexed and gray barred, crikey... you're doing something wrong man.


      Like I said, get the facts first before claiming something that is not true. There are peeps here that rely on the information.

      A lot of people know me on this forum and many others that know what I'm talking about, especially when it comes to SEO, and Adwords.

      Any way, enough on the matter, you were proved wrong, just suck it up mate.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[529719].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
    I know I did something that Google doesn't like, I know why they are banned, I got too lazy, I am paying for it, I am making corrections, and yes it is back to hard work for me!

    So much for aiming towards that 4-hour week!

    By the way, you keep on ignoring this article that cleary contains stuff that contradicts with you.

    http://www.searchenginepromotionhelp...ogle-ban-1.php

    "Whatever the case may be, we can no longer consider the PageRank feature of the Google toolbar to a reliable indicator of whether or not a page has been intentionally dropped (banned) from the Google index. Fortunately, however, there are much more effective ways to determine if your site has been removed from Google. "

    Thank you
    Signature

    Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[529728].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author raydp
    I wish people would differentiate between facts and opinions.

    If a greyed out PR means a page is banned, why is the first page of this thread listed in Google? It's greyed out and so must be "banned"!

    Do a search for this phrase in quotes - "Can you take a look at them and tell me why they got banned?"

    There's too much parroting of misinformation that just causes confusion and argument. Those nice people at Google know the facts, but although they hint and dish out scraps of information, they're keeping the crucial stuff under wraps.

    Far too many people say they know about Google's algorithms, when in fact they are merely stating they're opinions and beliefs.

    If you don't work for Google and persist in the belief that you know exactly what's going on, your in cloud cuckoo land, or at least misguided.

    This does not of course mean all your guesswork - because it is guesswork at best - is wrong all the time.

    Ray
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[529732].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author derekwong28
      Originally Posted by raydp View Post

      Far too many people say they know about Google's algorithms, when in fact they are merely stating they're opinions and beliefs.

      If you don't work for Google and persist in the belief that you know exactly what's going on, your in cloud cuckoo land, or at least misguided.
      Thank you, I couldn't have said it any better. After following SEO for over 9 years, I just know nothing can be taken for granted as absolute truth. Over the years, we went through thick and thin with Yahoo, Altavista, Excite, Infoseek and finally Google.
      Signature

      Do not get between a wombat and a chocolate biscuit; you will regret it dearly!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[530301].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author www.OneLead.com
    We need a friendly game of paintball to settle this : ) or other team building stress reliever.. lol
    Signature

    Dan
    My blog on money, entrepreneurship and all the other BS that comes with being a young self made entrepreneur!
    http://www.EntrepreneurEmpire.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[530362].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author raydp
    My pleasure Derek, did you notice how I cleverly managed to use they're instead of their and your instead of you're in the bit you quoted?

    It's amazing what you can do with a blinding sinus headache!

    Ray
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[530519].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mloveridge17
    Pearson said it right... thanks Loz & Derek...

    Now on for my 2 cents: Google has recently been downplaying the value of social media sites in the page ranking system. if you have been using social media exclusively for your link building, you may have experience a drop in ranks as a result. solution: build links through a variety of different methods.
    Signature

    Read my blog on SEM: http://loveridgemarketing.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[530713].message }}

Trending Topics