SEO - You want to know what works RIGHT NOW? This guy is spot on. Miss this at your own peril

by Kael41
14 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I've always been a huge, huge, HUGE advocate of reading forums about what we do all over the net. You have to, in order to succeed. For everyone who says "All I need is right here at the WF..yadda yadda yadda", you keep your heads in the sand You'll find nuggets around the web if you look hard enough, and this is one hell of a nugget.

Everything that this guy lists out works. Period. And it's funny that he's posting this on a black- hat forum. Miss this thread at your own peril. It's really to much to re-post here:

[Guide] Dealing with Over Optimization - The Sky Isn't Falling!
#guy #miss #peril #seo #spot #works
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    The keyword anchor-text exact percentages is a load.

    I do vary my anchor-text, but it's not because of a fake percentage, it's because I aim to rank multiple pages per individual keyword.

    Reading level, I'm still on the fence for that one. I have several keywords ranked in the top 3 SERP positions that all have one line of text, Google says those single sentence descriptions are mostly at the Advanced reading level, which isn't true IMO.

    Maybe it's the fact that I have very little text on those pages, which in turn has very few stop words, I'm not sure yet.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6079218].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kael41
      Ok, I agree with you on the exact percentages, as that is arbitrary (ie- unless you know how much weight Google gives that variable in it's algo, you just don't know..).

      I think as to the reading level comparison/factor issue of any given page, how well you might rank might be an indicator of what your competition looks like for that/those specific keywords. You're right, I've got a couple of domains with very, very few pieces of content and they still rank well. But I think that goes towards a lot of factors, not just the reading level of the site or pages.


      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      The keyword anchor-text exact percentages is a load.

      I do vary my anchor-text, but it's not because of a fake percentage, it's because I aim to rank multiple pages per individual keyword.

      Reading level, I'm still on the fence for that one. I have several keywords ranked in the top 3 SERP positions that all have one line of text, Google says those single sentence descriptions are mostly at the Advanced reading level, which isn't true IMO.

      Maybe it's the fact that I have very little text on those pages, which in turn has very few stop words, I'm not sure yet.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6079333].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nest28
    Thank for the heads up about that thread
    Signature

    Somewhere watching Power.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6079220].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OmarNegron
    Thanks for sharing this. Look forward to checking it out especially with all of this speculation thats going on with the search engine and what is exactly going on. Sure I know no one can answer it exactly, but it I want to see what someone says who is ACTUALLY DOING IT.

    Thanks!

    -Omar
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6079557].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gearmonkey
    I agree with his hypothesis. When my clients buy my blogroll network link package, I try to sway them into diversifying their anchor text and I even recommend deep linking. It's important to build backlinks to inner pages as well.
    Signature

    My Guitar Website | My SEO Blog - Advertising spots available.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6079781].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author unclebuck
    I always vary my anchor texts because it is more natural. This was good food for thought so thank you for sharing.
    Signature
    Free Pinterest Marketing Guide Click Here to get yours today - Harness the Power of Pinterest
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6079844].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author StevenJones
      Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post

      I always vary my anchor texts because it is more natural. This was good food for thought so thank you for sharing.
      Thought that this was common knowledge as well. If that is what you meant..

      Great post to be honest with quite some nuggets.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6080039].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dapper Fellow
    I agree that the BH post is good if for no other reason than it spurred me to remember to create several wordpress.com blogs. I've put that off far too long. I figure one outbound link per post is pretry safe.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6080112].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jaybox
      agree with the original post. Never focus on only one source of information (one forum). That forum although mostly hated here is a wealth of information when it comes to SEO, and I know many of the members myself.

      Unfortunately too many WSO owners are too lazy to put their products on the do not share list.. which is why the WF hates that place so much...

      but yeah, good read, relevant info and good principles.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6080745].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SirBucksAlot
    Finally a voice of reason. . . However, I'm still wondering what the take is on social signals beyond bookmarking.

    What about pintrest, tweets, likes, +1's, video submission, PAD, doc sharing, and stuff like that? I've been seeing mixed results, and have yet to successfully recover any of the assets. . . at best we've stabilized them and just now starting to bring them back from the depths of the abyss.

    Now that the shock is over, can somebody please come up with a cohesive package that addresses these updates all at once? As of now, we've been piecing things together one package at a time.

    -G
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6082466].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author plsearch
      Originally Posted by SirBucksAlot View Post

      Finally a voice of reason. . . However, I'm still wondering what the take is on social signals beyond bookmarking.

      What about pintrest, tweets, likes, +1's, video submission, PAD, doc sharing, and stuff like that? I've been seeing mixed results, and have yet to successfully recover any of the assets. . . at best we've stabilized them and just now starting to bring them back from the depths of the abyss.

      Now that the shock is over, can somebody please come up with a cohesive package that addresses these updates all at once? As of now, we've been piecing things together one package at a time.

      -G
      I dont think there will be a cohesive package or vendor you can outsource too anymore. Like the guy said, its all about looking natural while still gaming the results in your favor. For someone to do that you need a real SEO working full time on your project, and a budget to get some of the higher quality links like he mentioned.

      As an SEO company owner I tend to agree with most everything he said, the hard part is we have lots of small business clients with budgets under $1000 per month and even the initial round of links he talks about would take hours upon hours of research and then individual content writing for each property would take even longer. There's no way we could swing that without a much larger budget and a lot more staff.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6082894].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author footfoot
    funny how that page is indexed by google. figure they would have de-indexed that site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6083386].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jetsetter883
      Originally Posted by footfoot View Post

      funny how that page is indexed by google. figure they would have de-indexed that site.
      that site has not been de-indexed because they are not breaking any rules and google is not the internet
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6083436].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SirBucksAlot
    I dont think there will be a cohesive package or vendor you can outsource too anymore. Like the guy said, its all about looking natural while still gaming the results in your favor. For someone to do that you need a real SEO working full time on your project, and a budget to get some of the higher quality links like he mentioned.
    You are certainly right about the cost of SEO rising, however the BH community will prevail and should always be part of a link strategy in addition to outsourcing to India, Philippines, and still doing plenty of White Hat to cover all grounds.

    The "penalty" is being tested over and over, and as of now there are a few people claiming to successfully BOMB your competitor.

    Negative SEO - aka Google Bombing - Harm Competitors Websites

    This company above just launched a Twitter account this month@NegativeSEO1, so I guess they are pretty confident in their services. . .

    Google must be working on a patch for this, as this seems too easy/cheap to now achieve what JC Penny did a while back. It used to require a much larger effort to signal a warning/penalty, and most small business could afford to get that many backlinks all at once.

    Now, it seems if you fart the wrong way, google slaps you in the face.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6084889].message }}

Trending Topics