I can't believe the google nonsense here

by paulgl
54 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I guess the mods can't do it, but it would sure be
nice to return this part of the forum into what is
was. Making money via adwords, adsense, etc.

Instead, people think google is somehow failing
because they are failing. Google could care less
about you, your site, or anything you think.

Why people think otherwise is just beyond belief.

Google has record profits. They introduce yet another
program to dominate, Google Drive.

While IM people with some made up site on some
made up keywords talks about google and failure here,
the rest of the world google's on.

I just cannot believe the idiocy on this forum.

We need yet another thread from someone disagreeing
with google.

In fact, right now more idiocy abounds.

Someone says, "google fail," because when searching for
search engine on google, you don't get google #1.

H E L L O!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are USING GOOGLE!!!! Why would
you need to find google??!?!?!? Perhaps since you are
using google.com, their algorithm might be thinking you
are searching for ANOTHER ONE!!!!

I just can't believe the lunacy of the people here.

Get to work, people! Seriously! I myself have a college site.
Spent the day passing out flyers and tacking them up at
a local college. Google does not affect me or my life.

Google Drive people. That's what the real online business
world is talking about. That and maybe facebook is not
as valuable as once was. Look that up.

Paul
#google #nonsense
  • Profile picture of the author Dmreed4311
    I have to say , you seem annoyed with everyone about everything all the time. You complain about every ones posts on a daily basis. We get it we are all idiots. I guess you feel like if you shame us the forum will be your dream forum and all the post will be about, well I have no idea what kind of post would make you happy.
    Signature

    Carpet Doctor
    212 east Ross Ave.
    Tampa Fl 33602
    813-440-8335

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6128388].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Dmreed4311 View Post

      I have to say , you seem annoyed with everyone about everything all the time. You complain about every ones posts on a daily basis. We get it we are all idiots. I guess you feel like if you shame us the forum will be your dream forum and all the post will be about, well I have no idea what kind of post would make you happy.
      I get exactly what Paul is saying, he nailed it!

      Look at this thread, what purpose could it possibly serve (none)?

      http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-...py-google.html

      Things around here just get silly when an algo. change happens.

      Raise your hand If you've ever survived an algo. change in the past. Big deal, fix what broke & move on...
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6129179].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nest28
    I might not agree with the way he says things but Paulgl is right there is way to many threads complaining about google. We need to get back to the matter at hand which is making money. I been hit with a unnatural back links penalty on all my old sites which reduced my Adsense income to zero. I simply moved on, don't have time to complain.
    Signature

    Somewhere watching Power.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6128591].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JSProjects
      Originally Posted by nest28 View Post

      I might not agree with the way he says things but Paulgl is right there is way to many threads complaining about google. We need to get back to the matter at hand which is making money. I been hit with a unnatural back links penalty on all my old sites which reduced my Adsense income to zero. I simply moved on, don't have time to complain.
      Agreed. There are FAR too many threads complaining about Google.

      That said, I'm assuming this will blow over in the next few weeks and we'll all be complaining about something else.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6135398].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by JSProjects View Post

        Agreed. There are FAR too many threads complaining about Google.

        That said, I'm assuming this will blow over in the next few weeks and we'll all be complaining about something else.
        That's the funny part about this forum, each time something changes in the SERPs, it's the end of the world.

        I suppose it's human nature to panic first.

        The last couple of days we've seen at least a hundred new threads in the SEO forum with people freaking out about Google SERPs & not one thread accomplished anything useful.

        We need a sticky thread at the top of the SEO forum here on WF that reads:
        "SEO - Sh%$ happens, deal with it!".
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6135462].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ThatAblaze
    Well, as my favorite rapper says, people are losing money. Isn't focusing on how to not lose money actually focusing on how to make more money? People are reacting to the state of their reality. The current reality is "how can I avoid google's hammer?" Once people in general feel that that question is answered I'm sure they will naturally go back to "how can I make even more money?"

    Why complain that people are focused on preventing a negative occurrence rather then promoting a positive occurrence? The shift in attitude is due to a shift in the SEO society, people aren't doing it to try to piss you off, paul.

    Well... except for me that is. I'm going to go make a thread about how much I hate google just to piss you off paul.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6128654].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
    Originally Posted by paulgl View Post


    Google Drive people. That's what the real online business
    world is talking about.
    Come on Paul this is a SEO forum you really think people should be talking about google Drive? Google can keep that . I keep all my data on me. Maybe I will sue the free version for some less than important data but no thanks to Google having anything important or personal. However yes the whining that Google is dead and SEO is dead is a bit much.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6129034].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aygabtu
      Google is too big and a monopoly and should be split. Period. No one entity should control what we read, what site is best, to this scale. Especially a for profit company with apparently no one to answer to one changes like this. Who's to stop them from ranking left or right leaning sites at the top of the SERPs? No one. What if somehow Iran infiltrated Google? The holocaust would have never happened because they would delist all sites related to it.
      Signature

      Check top 300 Google SERP results free. WhatsMySERP.com tracks and graphs changes for multiple domains/keywords/regions. Also includes advanced keyword density tool.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6129115].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Talen
        Originally Posted by aygabtu View Post

        Google is too big and a monopoly and should be split. Period. No one entity should control what we read, what site is best, to this scale. Especially a for profit company with apparently no one to answer to one changes like this. Who's to stop them from ranking left or right leaning sites at the top of the SERPs? No one. What if somehow Iran infiltrated Google? The holocaust would have never happened because they would delist all sites related to it.
        Google isn't a monopoly...many other search engines exist...use them.

        Google controls nothing, you choose to use their products or you don't. Google has never controlled what I read, what I view to be best or any other aspect of my online experience.

        Grow up and be an adult, then you will realize that as an adult you can do what you want to do and you don't have to be a sheep following the crowd.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6129438].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author aygabtu
          Originally Posted by Talen View Post

          Google isn't a monopoly...many other search engines exist...use them.

          Google controls nothing, you choose to use their products or you don't. Google has never controlled what I read, what I view to be best or any other aspect of my online experience.

          Grow up and be an adult, then you will realize that as an adult you can do what you want to do and you don't have to be a sheep following the crowd.

          Talk to anyone. Google owns search. As individuals we can choose where we get our information, but you have to look at it from the perspective of do the majority of people think like you? No. They bring up their browser and go to google and do their search. If google list geography sites that the world was flat, that is what people would be reading. Extreme example, but hopefully you get my point.

          Another example is something like the media controlled the Travon Martin killing. They convicted the guy and only told one side and even messed with the recordings to fit their story. What is to stop google from doing the same to manipulate their stock price, or anything else in reality?
          Signature

          Check top 300 Google SERP results free. WhatsMySERP.com tracks and graphs changes for multiple domains/keywords/regions. Also includes advanced keyword density tool.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6129611].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Talen
            Originally Posted by aygabtu View Post

            Talk to anyone. Google owns search. As individuals we can choose where we get our information, but you have to look at it from the perspective of do the majority of people think like you? No. They bring up their browser and go to google and do their search. If google list geography sites that the world was flat, that is what people would be reading. Extreme example, but hopefully you get my point.

            Another example is something like the media controlled the Travon Martin killing. They convicted the guy and only told one side and even messed with the recordings to fit their story. What is to stop google from doing the same to manipulate their stock price, or anything else in reality?

            Wow, you really don't get it do you...here let me help you.

            Google owns google search, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of search engines. Google does not have a monopoly on the market. Does Google have the largest market share of search users, yes, for now. They won't always be the big guy on the block and many users are fed up with Google and their privacy policies.

            I don't get your point because your point is meaningless. You have chosen to see Google as yyour only alternative to be found on the internet, those of us that are smart choose to diversify our traffic so our business isn't reliant on one single entity.

            You worry too much about what Google might do when you should be thinking of ways to build your business so that all your eggs aren't in Google's basket.

            I don't care what Google does as their algo changes and penalties don't affect me or my web sites...ever.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6131676].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

      Come on Paul this is a SEO forum you really think people should be talking about google Drive?
      Then let's get back to adsense, adwords, SEO. Not google whiners.

      The point about Google Drive, is that while nobodies here are whimpering
      over google, google is running the news block outside of this silliness.

      Their Google Drive is set. Amazon posted profits that were just
      out of sight. Thanks to kindle, a google android product. Add to
      this the fact that facebook profits dropped while google's still
      rose, it just points out how clueless people here are. Whining
      about google while the real world is reading about yet more
      google success.


      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6134867].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Danny Cutts
    haha take a step back dude and relax.... you will kill yourself with stress :-)

    Danny
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6129446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ben Armstrong
    You come across as a bit of a jerk but you're not often wrong.

    It seems as though when some of us become internet marketers we completely forget what google used to be... "a search engine we used to find stuff". Now many of us treat it as some kind of angry god who unfairly destroys businesses for fun.

    Google isn't going to show compassion and understanding for your business. They will take your rankings away in a second if it improves the end user experience or their bottom dollar.

    I admit that at the moment I rely too heavily on google. In fact, my main money earning site was hit hard recently and I've lost 50% of my revenue, but I understand that's my issue and my problem to deal with. Not google's.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6129846].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Oranges
    Mahn im sick of these left aligned threads all the time, ready to kiss G's SSA.

    Their own genius accepted it https://twitter.com/#!/mattcutts/status/195647452316049410 (LOL if their algo. is so perfect then why they need us to report and fix their mess?) I don't know why these experts are always moaning to defend their crap all the time. Anyway, who cares! Move on people and wait for a re-crawl in a week or so.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6129863].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6129865].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mantasmo
      Originally Posted by dp40oz View Post

      Still not sure why Paul gets upset when people talk about SEO on an SEO forum.
      Most people aren't actually talking SEO, more like random wild guesses and complaints. HOWEVER, the fact that Paul spends so much time arguing with everyone here amazes me. So many better things to do. Forums can be upsetting sometimes, I guess.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6132208].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mister Rex
    I agree with you, except for the moderating SEO threads out. This forum is for SEO, why would the mods remove SEO threads from the SEO forum?

    Your first paragraph mentions PPC and Adsense, yet leaves off SEO, even though it is in this forum Title. That gives me the impression that you are biased against SEO.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6129870].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamhot
    Look I know you may think people are moaning a lot here but this wiped out a lot of local businesses, me included. It’s easy for a lot of you to say how we should all diversify our traffic and not leave all your eggs, blah blah blah. But the fact of the matter is that google does have the monopoly on search and directed most of my traffic because Google is the main search engine people use. Why the hell would I rely on another search engine that no one uses to provide me this? Most of my business came from google and was the case hands down against every other advertising method I have done in the past. Are you all losing sight of why google became the monopoly?? It’s easy to say 'oh just move on' but this is my career and bread and butter. What the **** do we do now if no one has a clue on how their sites were affected? This is the whole point of these discussions don't you think? My company site wasn't intended to gain money from advertising banners, It was a local service intended at creating me new business for my company in and around my area. It took me a little more time to create than just throwing up an adsense site for affiliate bull****. We can't all just move on. This is serious for a lot of people and affects their quality of life in a huge was if not tackled in some way. Some may lose their homes and struggle to feed their kids and all some people seem to want to do is gloat and spew sanctimonious crap about what they always knew. If you don't want to contribute something useful then don't get involved. We all bow down to your ninja skills but have some consideration for how this might affect others without all the oh so valuable wisdom you possess.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6132031].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mosthost
      Originally Posted by jamhot View Post

      Look I know you may think people are moaning a lot here but this wiped out a lot of local businesses, me included. It’s easy for a lot of you to say how we should all diversify our traffic and not leave all your eggs, blah blah blah. But the fact of the matter is that google does have the monopoly on search and directed most of my traffic because Google is the main search engine people use. Why the hell would I rely on another search engine that no one uses to provide me this? Most of my business came from google and was the case hands down against every other advertising method I have done in the past. Are you all losing sight of why google became the monopoly?? It’s easy to say 'oh just move on' but this is my career and bread and butter. What the **** do we do now if no one has a clue on how their sites were affected? This is the whole point of these discussions don't you think? My company site wasn't intended to gain money from advertising banners, It was a local service intended at creating me new business for my company in and around my area. It took me a little more time to create than just throwing up an adsense site for affiliate bull****. We can't all just move on. This is serious for a lot of people and affects their quality of life in a huge was if not tackled in some way. Some may lose their homes and struggle to feed their kids and all some people seem to want to do is gloat and spew sanctimonious crap about what they always knew. If you don't want to contribute something useful then don't get involved. We all bow down to your ninja skills but have some consideration for how this might affect others without all the oh so valuable wisdom you possess.
      So pay Google for traffic. Problem solved. After all, you're a 'business' and Google is the primary source of your revenue. Give them their due. Quit trying to bypass paying for advertising by devoting all your attention to SEO.

      Some of us have been through these updates for ten years. If you've been getting so much traffic from Google free, you're doing better than a lot of us!

      By the way, build a new website. How hard can it be? Take your penalty like a man and regroup.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6132051].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jamhot
        Is this before or after I go out of business? You know I don't think my kids or my wife will take this like a man even if I do. I did google adwords before and it cost me more than I got back and believe me I tried it myself and had several companies do it for me. Besides I need the initial trust that a top rank organic search give prospective customers. I cover serveral large cities in my catchment with pages targeted to that city all of which were in the top 3 for my keywords. At the most I probably had 20 visits a day total to my site, half of these being chinese companies trying to sell me their products. Half the reason anyone would click my pages was because they trusted google to serve them the top company in their area for that service, or so anyone would think. Adwords do not have this effect and I quickly realised why. If you must know I am now building a new site to possibly replace the old but what do I do now to rank it against the top spot again and in time before I have no money left to even fund the hosting. How can this be all so easy when a change like this is made that no one knows nothing about and how to tackle?

        Ps, this business survived on High value service. One job alone taken maybe even once a week could potentially earn £1000's. Volume sale just wouldn't apply with what we do. It is hard to let go of something we believe was very carefully crafted in order to persuade customers to call. It took me years to get all the copy exactly how I wanted. This is my dilemma
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6132181].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author mosthost
          Originally Posted by jamhot View Post

          Is this before or after I go out of business? You know I don't think my kids or my wife will take this like a man even if I do. I did google adwords before and it cost me more than I got back and believe me I tried it myself and had several companies do it for me. Besides I need the initial trust that a top rank organic search give prospective customers. I cover serveral large cities in my catchment with pages targeted to that city all of which were in the top 3 for my keywords. At the most I probably had 20 visits a day total to my site, half of these being chinese companies trying to sell me their products. Half the reason anyone would click my pages was because they trusted google to serve them the top company in their area for that service, or so anyone would think. Adwords do not have this effect and I quickly realised why. If you must know I am now building a new site to possibly replace the old but what do I do now to rank it against the top spot again and in time before I have no money left to even fund the hosting. How can this be all so easy when a change like this is made that no one knows nothing about and how to tackle?

          Ps, this business survived on High value service. One job alone taken maybe even once a week could potentially earn £1000's. Volume sale just wouldn't apply with what we do. It is hard to let go of something we believe was very carefully crafted in order to persuade customers to call. It took me years to get all the copy exactly how I wanted. This is my dilemma
          I understand what you're saying completely. Google was a primary source of traffic to your website. However, there's always other ways. Right now you can't see that because you just lost all your income in one update.

          It happened to me. I lost a huge amount of annual revenue when the first 'Panda Update' struck in 2011. There was no possible way to recover the income. I was forced in the last year to completely change everything.

          Since then I've made sure to make a lot more destination pages on places like Tumblr, Twitter, YouTube, etc etc. My income is still down, but my reliance on Google keeps on lessening.

          There's no way around it. Google is not our friend. They're a company that's primarily concerned with making more cash and they don't care who gets hurt in the meantime.

          But I am guaranteeing you one thing: you aren't dead in one day because of one update.

          Is your website deindexed totally or have you just lost certain rankings? If your rankings dropped, how many places? Things might still be recoverable for you. Don't panic just yet.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6132286].message }}
  • If I somehow figured out how to make thousands a month online from websites, then all of a sudden saw that income drop to mere hundreds because of Google, I would post on an internet forum to complain about it too.

    Then, in a few weeks (which have yet to pass) presumably I'd slowly forget about all that stress as my monthly income recovers since I learned to adapt.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6132248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamhot
    have to agree bnetwork and I agree with some of the points paul makes really. He highlights some of the stupid things people have given as an example of how google has 'failed' which is fair to see. I don't blame him for pulling up ridiculous quotes because those people make it look like google actually did the right thing. But this all detracts from the valid reasons why this update actually went a bit overboard. by putting everyone who took a dislike to this update and labeling them as a winge is a bit harsh in my opinion. We're not all a bunch of kids missing out on the next pair of trainers by nike because our $10 a week adsense site got knocked off. I have first hand experience of the site that has taken my place in the search and without blowing my own trumpet, it isn't the best of quality and looks like it got thrown together by a dog. I just don't see the justice

    @mosthost
    Thanks for the kind words and sorry to hear you were hit with panda last year.. we were too but not to a large extent, just drop on the first page, however this was enough to bring things to a halt. We quickly recovered with some slight rework and some quality links. This time we are thrown between 6 to 12 pages back and with no idea what will work to gain things back
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6132344].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamhot
    I am ranting here and i realise that. I don't want to come across like I am the only one that matters but A friend of mine who works for a copany near by that relys on googles traffic has took the dive too. He may lose his job. I just think its terrible that google has so many by the balls. It was a god send and a curse
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6132368].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mosthost
      Originally Posted by jamhot View Post

      I am ranting here and i realise that. I don't want to come across like I am the only one that matters but A friend of mine who works for a copany near by that relys on googles traffic has took the dive too. He may lose his job. I just think its terrible that google has so many by the balls. It was a god send and a curse
      Google's reign of terror is giving way to social media and lots of other things like mobile surfing. They might not be in charge forever.

      Since you dropped to page 6 to 12 we can deduce two things:

      1) it's probably because of backlinks
      2) the penalty is algorhythmic

      In the best case scenario, rankings could return when the penalty automatically expires. If you didn't receive notice of 'unnatural links' you can probably regain some of the rankings with fresh authoritative links.

      The one thing to NOT do is give up. Build a new website and try and 'repair' the old one. If you aren't deindexed, there's always a chance you can fix the 'over optimization' issues.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6132479].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NetWorth
    Very interesting post. A lot of people have made some very compelling post. It always surprises me how quickly people are willing to sound off on each other. If we are here to be constructive then lets do that and stop ripping one another because you can hide behind the anonymity of your computer and user name.

    Paul fair enough, people do spend a lot of time complaining and maybe it is time to get back to work but, it isn't a crime to vent about your frustrations and a single statement in your rant giving some credence to their complaints could go a long way toward your criticism being viewed as constructive.

    Jamhot sorry to hear about your loss and I'm sure you realize that you are not alone. I personally disagree with your view on Google being a monopoly because it just isn't. But I hear your frustration.

    For those who still need time to vent by all means vent. For those who are done being pissed off and angry lets get back to figuring out what Google really wants.

    But to everyone best of luck!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6132543].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamhot
    Hey thanks, well I don't seem to have any messages from google although we were building some links through web2.0 articles during the algo update. So what your saying is at least i didn't get a manual review which may have been worse. I haven't had a penalty before while building backlinks and I have been much more aggressive in the past when all this was new to me without realising the possible consequence. Thanks for the reasuring words mosthost. Wish you all the best
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6132793].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author mosthost
      Originally Posted by jamhot View Post

      Hey thanks, well I don't seem to have any messages from google although we were building some links through web2.0 articles during the algo update. So what your saying is at least i didn't get a manual review which may have been worse. I haven't had a penalty before while building backlinks and I have been much more aggressive in the past when all this was new to me without realising the possible consequence. Thanks for the reasuring words mosthost. Wish you all the best
      You're welcome. I wish you the best too. I really don't think all is lost. Google has gotten very aggressive about deindexing websites they don't really like. I don't think they hate your website. They probably deindexed or devalued backlinks, causing the drop. If they did 'penalize' the site it could be 1) time-based and 2) phrase-based. I would not give up the rankings.

      If you know you overdid exact anchor texts, try 'diluting' them a bit with 'click here, straight URL, etc. Also, a few good PR links could help. If you can find a PR5 related link, it might be worth renting it. The only thing is, try and do your changes methodically so you can analyze what's going on. It sounds more like you're 'slightly over the limit' rather than some black hat website that can't be recovered.

      I have been penalized many times for over aggressive backlinks. That means I've learned to lighten up on them quite a bit. It seems like a few good links are enough to offset a lot of bad ones.

      Since you like the copy on your website, you might also try this. Build a new website, don't use nearly as much text. Take your old copy and put in image files that Google can't read. That way you could retain the meaning to your visitors without 'duplicating' the content. It might be worth a shot at the same time you attempt to get your old rankings back on your main site.

      In summary:

      1) Deindexing is the worst thing that can happen. Only a 'clean up' and a reinclusion can get you back in.
      2) A manual penalty is also very bad.
      3) Algo penalties are being handed out, especially for backlinks.
      4) You may not even be penalized, you might just be reduced in rankings because of link devaluation.

      I'd say you have a really bad case of the flu, and not cancer!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6132922].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jamhot
        Originally Posted by mosthost View Post

        In summary:

        1) Deindexing is the worst thing that can happen. Only a 'clean up' and a reinclusion can get you back in.
        2) A manual penalty is also very bad.
        3) Algo penalties are being handed out, especially for backlinks.
        4) You may not even be penalized, you might just be reduced in rankings because of link devaluation.

        I'd say you have a really bad case of the flu, and not cancer!
        lol, well put. great idea with the images by the way. I used to use that sort of method with ebay listings ,ha!.

        I might wait it out a few days and see if things change before I start making alterations. I don't want to be hasty about my content if I have a chance of clawing back. I shall give the back links a go in the mean time. If you think its just a link problem I may have some hope yet.

        Thanks again for the kind advice
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6133366].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author mosthost
          Originally Posted by jamhot View Post

          lol, well put. great idea with the images by the way. I used to use that sort of method with ebay listings ,ha!.

          I might wait it out a few days and see if things change before I start making alterations. I don't want to be hasty about my content if I have a chance of clawing back. I shall give the back links a go in the mean time. If you think its just a link problem I may have some hope yet.

          Thanks again for the kind advice
          You're welcome. Let us know how it turns out!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6133506].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author NetWorth
        Originally Posted by mosthost View Post

        You're welcome. I wish you the best too. I really don't think all is lost. Google has gotten very aggressive about deindexing websites they don't really like. I don't think they hate your website. They probably deindexed or devalued backlinks, causing the drop. If they did 'penalize' the site it could be 1) time-based and 2) phrase-based. I would not give up the rankings.

        If you know you overdid exact anchor texts, try 'diluting' them a bit with 'click here, straight URL, etc. Also, a few good PR links could help. If you can find a PR5 related link, it might be worth renting it. The only thing is, try and do your changes methodically so you can analyze what's going on. It sounds more like you're 'slightly over the limit' rather than some black hat website that can't be recovered.

        I have been penalized many times for over aggressive backlinks. That means I've learned to lighten up on them quite a bit. It seems like a few good links are enough to offset a lot of bad ones.

        Since you like the copy on your website, you might also try this. Build a new website, don't use nearly as much text. Take your old copy and put in image files that Google can't read. That way you could retain the meaning to your visitors without 'duplicating' the content. It might be worth a shot at the same time you attempt to get your old rankings back on your main site.

        In summary:

        1) Deindexing is the worst thing that can happen. Only a 'clean up' and a reinclusion can get you back in.
        2) A manual penalty is also very bad.
        3) Algo penalties are being handed out, especially for backlinks.
        4) You may not even be penalized, you might just be reduced in rankings because of link devaluation.

        I'd say you have a really bad case of the flu, and not cancer!
        Now this is what this place is all about, Problem Solving!

        I agree completely. I have had sites deindexed and managed to get them back after completely stripping them down and redoing them.

        What we are all experiencing now seems to be an algo change so with some time and proper link building we should be ok. I think it is just a matter of being much more picky about where you build links and what if any anchor text you use.
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6134050].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author hyderkhan
        Originally Posted by mosthost View Post

        4) You may not even be penalized, you might just be reduced in rankings because of link devaluation.
        I think this hits the nail right on the head: Many of us whose websites lost their rankings in Google (several of my first page sites are now down as many as 30+ pages in the results), did so not because our sites were bad or that our sites weren't adding value, but because Google devalued the unnatural backlinks that we used.... so the domino effect was that our sites that only had our rankings because of these backlinks, suffered as a result.

        Your mileage may vary, but I'm convinced that that is what happened to my sites. I had several mini-authority sites with upwards of 50+ articles on them, that were perched nicely on page 1, but I had built backlinks using tools such as SENUKE and Article Post Robot.

        I can't imagine that there was anything wrong with my content. But I can totally understand that Google would want to penalize us for using automatically generated, fake forum profiles and link pyramids that leave obvious signatures, etc.

        So if we want to rank high in Google in the New World, then it's time to figure out how to do SEO the right way, the way that Google wants it. I've cranked out dozens of websites before. Who is to say that I can't do it again, and this time adapt my SEO methods to what Google is actually looking for?
        Signature
        Looking To Help A Fellow Warrior Out.

        Need a Wordpress website built? I know Wordpress, MySQL, PHP, and even GIMP, and can help you build your website.

        I'm looking to JV with anyone with a drive to succeed. Send me a PM.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6148569].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jamhot
    Hi Networth, thanks for the input. I think there always has to be a monopoly at some point in any industry. Apple had the monopoly on the smart phone when Iphone came out and ebay for auctioning, paypal for paying. If google doesn't have the monopoly for search then who does? some one has to lead. Ok they may not hold it forever but at the moment, and for me it certainly does. Anyone who wants organic search to land on their site will usually get it from google. Facebook traffic, business index sites or bing search just don't cut for me in comparison. It might work for other business models but would you really use a law firm from an ad you saw on facebook?? Thats an example but I think it highlights my point. I am all for new idea's at the minute so if you fancy throwing me some great ways of equaling what I lost from google I'll eat my words.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6132909].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NetWorth
      Originally Posted by jamhot View Post

      Hi Networth, thanks for the input. I think there always has to be a monopoly at some point in any industry. Apple had the monopoly on the smart phone when Iphone came out and ebay for auctioning, paypal for paying. If google doesn't have the monopoly for search then who does? some one has to lead. Ok they may not hold it forever but at the moment, and for me it certainly does. Anyone who wants organic search to land on their site will usually get it from google. Facebook traffic, business index sites or bing search just don't cut for me in comparison. It might work for other business models but would you really use a law firm from an ad you saw on facebook?? Thats an example but I think it highlights my point. I am all for new idea's at the minute so if you fancy throwing me some great ways of equaling what I lost from google I'll eat my words.
      Hey, not to belabor the Google monopoly talk but I will give you this. When I hear monopoly I think of the near "forcible" control of a closed market w/o other viable contenders. Modern day (Microsoft) but when I look at Google there are many other competitors who aren't being forced out of the market.

      However to your point, I looked up a definition of Monopoly and this is what I got from Dictionary .com

      1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices.

      By this definition I would agree with you. But I think the connotation that the term monopoly has implies something slightly different.

      Ok, enough said back to figuring out how to get things back on track.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6134134].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author boxoun
    Search monopoly on Google you will see Google.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6134878].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aygabtu
      Originally Posted by boxoun View Post

      Search monopoly on Google you will see Google.
      I searched 'is google a monopoly' and I love how google insert at #3 a news piece titled 'Why The Antitrust Allegations Against Google Are Absurd'.

      Do the same search on Bing and you get TOTALLY different results. Gee, I wonder why??!?!
      Signature

      Check top 300 Google SERP results free. WhatsMySERP.com tracks and graphs changes for multiple domains/keywords/regions. Also includes advanced keyword density tool.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6135147].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by boxoun View Post

      Search monopoly on Google you will see Google.
      I didn't see Google when I searched.
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6135279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnnyflex
    IF you dont want to read those thread, then dont open them. You're just adding the current whining in this forum just as you did in this THREAD!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6138525].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GGpaul
      Originally Posted by johnnyflex View Post

      IF you dont want to read those thread, then dont open them. You're just adding the current whining in this forum just as you did in this THREAD!!!

      It's very difficult to not open them when almost 80 percent of the threads on the first page are nearly about the same thing. And that's people complaining about Google.

      It's been a while since I've seen a lot of useful threads. Ever since the drop of BMR, and other well known blog networks, people have been ranting and ranting.
      Signature

      RIP Dad Oct 14 1954 - Mar 14 2015.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6138832].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jamhot
        Originally Posted by GGpaul View Post

        It's very difficult to not open them when almost 80 percent of the threads on the first page are nearly about the same thing. And that's people complaining about Google.

        It's been a while since I've seen a lot of useful threads. Ever since the drop of BMR, and other well known blog networks, people have been ranting and ranting.
        Maybe you should get in on this one http://www.warriorforum.com/off-topi...st-counts.html
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6147181].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Carl Brown
      Originally Posted by johnnyflex View Post

      You're just adding the current whining in this forum just as you did in this THREAD!!!
      He contributes some real gems if you'll just look. If you don't like the control Google has over your sites, think of ways to bypass them. I did it for years using Craigslist--then they clamped down and I had to work with Google.

      Paul seems to be doing it without being 100% dependent on the blessings of the Google gods.

      Get to work, people! Seriously! I myself have a college site.
      Spent the day passing out flyers and tacking them up at
      a local college. Google does not affect me or my life.
      Since Craigslist dried up for me, I've been trying to think of ways to get traffic to one of my high paying sites. One of the things he seems to be doing is something I've been thinking about for awhile.

      His posts help me think outside the box.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6154883].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mantasmo
    Well, hopefully after the **** storm is over and most of the so called "SEO's" (more like opportunists) get out of the game, things will get much better for those of us who work hard and try to innovate instead of standing still and looking for quick fixes.

    People should understand that whining about Google updates here does absolutely nothing to help their businesses/sites recover and Google really don't care about them. But hey...


    Originally Posted by GGpaul View Post

    It's been a while since I've seen a lot of useful threads. Ever since the drop of BMR, and other well known blog networks, people have been ranting and ranting.
    But think about it... before BMR/ALN fell most of the threads were about "best practices" for ranking sites using BMR, etc. It's really no surprise that the forum is now filled with whining, paranoia and anecdotal case studies.

    And this is one of the reasons I occasionally troll those who whine, whine about the whiners and post "expert" advice/opinions about these updates. It's all nonsense.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6139175].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
      Banned
      Originally Posted by bnetwork View Post

      Well, hopefully after the **** storm is over and most of the so called "SEO's" (more like opportunists) get out of the game, things will get much better for those of us who work hard and try to innovate instead of standing still and looking for quick fixes.
      If only. They're just going to figure out the next "trick" and start the bubble all over again.

      Originally Posted by bnetwork View Post

      People should understand that whining about Google updates here does absolutely nothing to help their businesses/sites recover and Google really don't care about them. But hey...
      But people must know the evil that Google is doing!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6139220].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ketset
    Google should care about what we do as we publish their adverts on their sites and they need us in order to make money, if all IMers started to leave Google and retire from the internet - (if only) - then Google would be worse off, it is in their interests to keep us happy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6139190].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mantasmo
      Originally Posted by ketset View Post

      Google should care about what we do as we publish their adverts on their sites and they need us in order to make money, if all IMers started to leave Google and retire from the internet - (if only) - then Google would be worse off, it is in their interests to keep us happy.
      You're delusional if you really believe this. They don't care about SEO's and IM'ers one bit (and for good reason).

      All they care about is SERP quality and good websites. There are more than enough of those that aren't run/started by SEO's.

      If you were any good at SEO at all, you'd understand that there's a lot more to it than simple on page stuff and buying backlinks... Most people who call themselves SEO's are merely link sellers. Big difference.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6139239].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author honestbiz
        Originally Posted by bnetwork View Post

        You're delusional if you really believe this. They don't care about SEO's and IM'ers one bit (and for good reason).

        All they care about is SERP quality and good websites. There are more than enough of those that aren't run/started by SEO's.
        If all Google cared about was SERP quality, why go to the extent of punishing almost everyone just because of their backlinks?

        Their SERP quality is worse than ever now and they know it, but they cannot resist the urge to do the infamous G Slap on almost everyone.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6139871].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mantasmo
          Originally Posted by honestbiz View Post

          If all Google cared about was SERP quality, why go to the extent of punishing almost everyone just because of their backlinks?

          Their SERP quality is worse than ever now and they know it, but they cannot resist the urge to do the infamous G Slap on almost everyone.
          Resist the urge... don't be silly.

          They know that long term the results will get better. They removed [most] spam links. Some sites used them, big deal. It won't be long until those rankings are replaced with same or higher quality websites without the spam. It's a long term strategy for them and spam was getting too easy lately.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6140038].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Joseph Robinson
        Banned
        Originally Posted by bnetwork View Post

        You're delusional if you really believe this. They don't care about SEO's and IM'ers one bit (and for good reason).

        All they care about is SERP quality and good websites. There are more than enough of those that aren't run/started by SEO's.

        If you were any good at SEO at all, you'd understand that there's a lot more to it than simple on page stuff and buying backlinks... Most people who call themselves SEO's are merely link sellers. Big difference.
        This. I'll admit I perform (and know) very little in the way of SEO; but this is just common sense. The fact that so many people can't see it is a troubling trend indeed (although great for my income ).
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6140497].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dracoboar
    Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

    I guess the mods can't do it, but it would sure be
    nice to return this part of the forum into what is
    was. Making money via adwords, adsense, etc.

    Instead, people think google is somehow failing
    because they are failing. Google could care less
    about you, your site, or anything you think.

    Why people think otherwise is just beyond belief.

    Google has record profits. They introduce yet another
    program to dominate, Google Drive.

    While IM people with some made up site on some
    made up keywords talks about google and failure here,
    the rest of the world google's on.

    I just cannot believe the idiocy on this forum.

    We need yet another thread from someone disagreeing
    with google.

    In fact, right now more idiocy abounds.

    Someone says, "google fail," because when searching for
    search engine on google, you don't get google #1.

    H E L L O!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are USING GOOGLE!!!! Why would
    you need to find google??!?!?!? Perhaps since you are
    using google.com, their algorithm might be thinking you
    are searching for ANOTHER ONE!!!!

    I just can't believe the lunacy of the people here.

    Get to work, people! Seriously! I myself have a college site.
    Spent the day passing out flyers and tacking them up at
    a local college. Google does not affect me or my life.

    Google Drive people. That's what the real online business
    world is talking about. That and maybe facebook is not
    as valuable as once was. Look that up.

    Paul
    I dont think of google with any more esteem or less esteem than any other billion dollar company, they are a tool for me nothing more. Like any other big company they do good things and do bad things, i love google maps, i hate their privacy intrusion their campaign against net neutrality and support of CIPPA.

    I exploit them to make money and move on.

    Google and APPLE fanboys however make me sick.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6155332].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author howto
    Haha yes you're soooo smart, we should all be handing out flyers as our seoul strategy.

    You're stupid, flyers have under a 1% conversion rate and is possibly the worst use of time ever.

    Thanks for the good lol though and furthering the stereotype that college students are foolish know it alls.


    Posted from Warrior Forum Reader for Android
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6156453].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Romaine
    What about lemonade stands?

    Are they a viable non Google marketing strategy? :rolleyes:
    Signature

    BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6156521].message }}

Trending Topics