you need backlinks!
with a twist.
Many beginners just get backlinks to their home page and that's it.
Guess what? This is not the right way to do it.
1. Whenever you create a new page for your site (are you creating new webpages on a daily, weekly basis? this will help you tremendously with your rankings), get a link or two pointing to this inner page in your site
2. Add this new page in your sitemap (I hope you have one)
3. Add your new page to your home page (in the new articles section - or whatever)
4. Do this once a week (better to outsource, and if you are REALLY serious, you'll do it once a day)
5. Set up a blog, start blogging (or outsource), and watch your backlinks, traffic and rankings explode.
Doing this will give you an edge other your competitors, seriously.
As for making more money, you'll need to know how to make your site convert into sales, but this is another story.