Site disappears from serp

21 replies
  • SEO
  • |
hi just wondering why your site would disappear from serps, it was built post penguin and has been sat steadily at position #5 on page1 for a few weeks. There hasn't been any link building done i the last few weeks either. My inner pages are listed on page 5 onwards. No notices in wbt and my site is still indexed. Can't find my homepage on any page on serp. Could this be a temporary thing. I can't see why it should dance if no recent link building has taken place
#disappears #serp #site
  • Profile picture of the author ctadvert
    Maybe just maybe that could be the reason, If you have never done backlinking on the site how would you expect it to stay in that position, Start building social signals in web 2.0s (facebook, Twitter, Tumblr etc etc) do this and maybe just mabe you will make it to number 1 as i am quite impressed you was at number 5 on page 1 with no backlinking (then again i do not know your keywords).

    Hope this helps.

    Regards
    Signature

    OK, so I did it, I finally got over myself.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6344796].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jakecoop79
    If your site was built post penguin, then it isn't very old. New sites frequently rank high when they are new, kind of a honeymoon period in google. Then after several weeks it will fall to a more normal position.

    Start backlinking and it should start rising, as long as you are building good links.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6345011].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pasik
      Originally Posted by jakecoop79 View Post

      If your site was built post penguin, then it isn't very old. New sites frequently rank high when they are new, kind of a honeymoon period in google. Then after several weeks it will fall to a more normal position.

      Start backlinking and it should start rising, as long as you are building good links.
      This is exactly what happened. If you built your site after Penguin, it is just little over a month old. I don't know the keywords you are targeting, but normally you really cannot expect a website to last long in high SERP rankings if it is brand new.

      However, the good news is that because it temporarily appeared high in SERPs, this indicates that the competition is not very tough. Just keep backlinking (just do it wisely) and your site will eventually have more permanent rankings in page 1.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6345795].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author codecreative
        Originally Posted by pasik View Post

        This is exactly what happened. If you built your site after Penguin, it is just little over a month old. I don't know the keywords you are targeting, but normally you really cannot expect a website to last long in high SERP rankings if it is brand new.

        However, the good news is that because it temporarily appeared high in SERPs, this indicates that the competition is not very tough. Just keep backlinking (just do it wisely) and your site will eventually have more permanent rankings in page 1.
        The reason I find this difficult to believe is that I can not find the homepage in the serps. It is present if I search by url. By the time I get to page 5 one of the inner pages that always has ranked lower then homepage appears. No way has the homepage gone in one morning from page1 position 5 to lower then page10. It would not follow logic for it to rank below the inner page.

        If I could see the homepage on page4 or whatever I'd totally agree with you but it is not present in the serps for its chosen keyword anymore. I'm guessing it is being danced and recalculated at the moment and hasn't been re inserted so to speak? Would you say this is more likely
        Signature

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6346254].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author pasik
          Originally Posted by codecreative View Post

          The reason I find this difficult to believe is that I can not find the homepage in the serps. It is present if I search by url. By the time I get to page 5 one of the inner pages that always has ranked lower then homepage appears. No way has the homepage gone in one morning from page1 position 5 to lower then page10. It would not follow logic for it to rank below the inner page.

          If I could see the homepage on page4 or whatever I'd totally agree with you but it is not present in the serps for its chosen keyword anymore. I'm guessing it is being danced and recalculated at the moment and hasn't been re inserted so to speak? Would you say this is more likely
          It has sometimes happened to me that some inner page is ranked higher than my main page. However, those inner pages are disappeared also after some time. This is especially true with new sites.

          If this is only Google dance, your target keyword has extremely low competition. In that case, it is possible that your site will regain its ranking. Otherwise, my guess is that you need to do more backlinks consistently in order to have such a high ranking.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6346361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danb12
    If no link notice from Google, and you say no link building done, your site could still have a bot penalty from Google, this is where they bot will penalize your website, not a human. Could be for many things like content and over optimized seo on your site.
    Signature
    UK Coupon Website PR1 making £300+ per month - QUICK SALE - CHEAP SALE - CONTACT ME
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6345109].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author codecreative
    Ok thanks. I have initially done link building if you re read I mentioned that I hadn't done any recently. It was at the start of the sites existence in the first 2 weeks when I built links i think and then it ranked nicely(position 6). I didn't continue to do my link building as I didn't want to run the risk of building any more links and causing my site to dance. After the last round of links I built, my site went from position 6 did a google dance for sevreals days when I couldn't find it and then came back to position 5. I thought phew I don't want that happening again I'll leave this site for a bit now, hopefully it will be stable in position 5 which it has been for about 4 weeks.

    So if your link building is not consistent your sites drop? I'm guessing the fact I haven't built any links in the last 4weeks may contribute to the reason why its gone. I'm not sure though
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6345313].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ctadvert
    So if your link building is not consistent your sites drop? I'm guessing the fact I haven't built any links in the last 4weeks may contribute to the reason why its gone. I'm not sure though
    Rightly so remember there could be thousands behind you trying to rank the same keyword, so not building links consistently can push you further down and rightly so..

    Why should you sit pretty in position 5 (which you sound happy with) when many behind you are working hard to get to position 1?

    Think about that for a minute and then get your ass over to some web 2.0 accounts and start creating natural and useful links to your posts

    regards
    Signature

    OK, so I did it, I finally got over myself.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6345562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author codecreative
    lol

    I understand what your saying but this is what has happened. My inner pages are still showing on page 5 etc but the homepage isn't. It wouldn't just vanish it'd start slipping down the positions a bit.

    I've actually been doing web 2s recently built 20 of them with several outbound links to high auth sites. But it wasn't related to this site seperate project all together.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6345587].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ctadvert
    I understand what your saying but this is what has happened. My inner pages are still showing on page 5 etc but the homepage isn't. It wouldn't just vanish it'd start slipping down the positions a bit.
    Ok well that's abit stranger and something I am not used to however have you tried resubmitting your homepage to directories and linking to your homepage. Maybe WMT has changed their crawl frequency which you are unaware of.

    I cannot help you with this as I have never experienced it sorry. The good news is least your site still shows up in your fave position.

    Maybe your site is in a google dance have you tried this...

    search in google

    "site:www.mysite.com" without the qoutes

    See if you can see your homepage there...
    Signature

    OK, so I did it, I finally got over myself.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6345646].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pyramid Linkers
    This absolutely normal. Sites disappear and come back all the time. It may be Google recalculating your position, could be slight algorithm changes or some of your previous links being discounted. I suggest you continue to build links, work on other projects, and not worry about that one site's rankings.

    If you are building web 2.0s, I cannot stress enough to use really good promotional content and adding pictures to your pages. This will give you a huge boost.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6345713].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Coldevil
    I had 2 sites (ecommerce) lose rankings for all main keywords after the penguin update. They were completely out of the serps. But, today they have re-entered the serps albeit page 3 and beyond. There could have been another update?
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6345797].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HorseStall
    I would say the "honeymoon" is over. New sites often rank well for a short period of time. If they don't garner backlinks and attention to warrant the top spots it will fall out of the search results. Get backlinks, build content and do the standard stuff.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6346659].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BLQu
    Originally Posted by codecreative View Post

    hi just wondering why your site would disappear from serps, it was built post penguin and has been sat steadily at position #5 on page1 for a few weeks. There hasn't been any link building done i the last few weeks either. My inner pages are listed on page 5 onwards. No notices in wbt and my site is still indexed. Can't find my homepage on any page on serp. Could this be a temporary thing. I can't see why it should dance if no recent link building has taken place
    You were expecting something else from Internet god Google? See my thread: http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-...-finished.html
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6346722].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author codecreative
    This is wierd my site is now back where it was before
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6347059].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Pyramid Linkers
      Originally Posted by codecreative View Post

      This is wierd my site is now back where it was before
      I'm glad to hear that. Its not weird though. Its SEO. It may disappear again, but if it does, don't worry about it. Build links and focus on other projects. It will come back or it won't, either way you're still in business.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6347068].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AlexPandian
    Similar things happened to me, what I have done is, I have got some backlinks (Contextual links) using web 2.0 and get indexed, then I got steady rank. That is why many SEO experts always empathize to keep link building, at least once a month
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6349244].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6350982].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author adam337
    I do think to worry about it. It happened one of my site for two keywords. But now it is ranking very well after a month.
    Signature


    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6355535].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author codecreative
    and its gone again today lol, it come for a few days then goes for a few days. i wonder if its gonna come back this time
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6355903].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author codecreative
    and for the record its in a very low comp keyword i think it was a soc with 48 or so. A green tick in mnf
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6355906].message }}

Trending Topics