What is better - PR5 or PR0 SERPS

29 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hello,

1) What is better?

-A PR5 link that has nothing to do with your site
-A PR0 link that has everything to do with your site

2) Is posting your content on hundreds/several 2.0 Sites using the canonical link fine for getting backlinks? How better is this compared to a PR5 link that has nothing to do with your website?

3) What is better?

-A PR0 .gov/.edu link that has nothing to do with your website
-A PR0 link that has everything to do with your website

4) And is there some site that can tell me every single link that is connected to my website? It says I have 24 BLEG links but I don't even remember getting them.

Edit: Okay so if .gov and .edu links are the same as PR0 why do people even get them?
#backlink #questions
  • Profile picture of the author JSProjects
    1. PR5, definitely.

    2. Quality over quantity. I'd take a PR5 link over 50 PR0 links. That's not to say I ignore PR0 links, though.

    3. I never bought into the .edu / .gov hype. So I'd say niche related would be better.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6501157].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dmtaylor247
      I think it really depends on your site and where you are at in the serps. You can't really say this is better than that, it's all good for different reasons.

      High pr links are good for getting most of your serp movement, so getting your site moving quickly to the top of the serps and getting your site indexed faster. They are also good if you have good link diversity but no link authority or no pagerank.

      Low pr links are just as important. You can often find more lower pr links so this is good for link diversity. I feel the closer you get to the top of the serp the more of these you need, preferably relevant and from domains with good authority.

      Relevant links are good whether or not they have pagerank, you will see nice movement in the serps and quite alot of traffic from a well placed link. Overall I would try and keep your link profile as relevant as possible, otherwise it looks like spam, if it has pr then that's a bonus..

      Low pr .gov links and low pr normal links are just the same. Having a .gov domain doesn't give it authority, it's all the high authority links it has that gives it authority.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6501699].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Blue445nm
      Originally Posted by JSProjects View Post

      1. PR5, definitely.

      2. Quality over quantity. I'd take a PR5 link over 50 PR0 links. That's not to say I ignore PR0 links, though.

      3. I never bought into the .edu / .gov hype. So I'd say niche related would be better.
      You said quality over quantity though; the 50 PR0 links are all quality while the PR5 link is about quantity (Hence the 5 vs the 0)?

      So I should my link profile should be pr1+ sites that have nothing to actually do with my site?

      EX. I get a link from shorts/com when my site is about gardening?
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6508737].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nik0
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Blue445nm View Post

        You said quality over quantity though; the 50 PR0 links are all quality while the PR5 link is about quantity (Hence the 5 vs the 0)?

        So I should my link profile should be pr1+ sites that have nothing to actually do with my site?

        EX. I get a link from shorts/com when my site is about gardening?
        Logic isn't your strongest point is it?

        Can't wait to get 50.000 quality pr0 comment links LOL
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6508929].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Blue445nm
          Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

          Logic isn't your strongest point is it?

          Can't wait to get 50.000 quality pr0 comment links LOL
          So is this right?: Wherever a link is posted, the content on that page gives no advantage to a link that is posted on the same PR page with irrelevant content.

          If there is no bonus then just ignore what I posted below.

          What if it's something like this:

          PR4 VS PR0
          PR 3 VS PR0
          PR 2 VS PR0
          PR 1 VS PR0

          PR 0 : Relevant and something with PR1+ isnt'.

          How about this:

          PR1 vs PR2
          PR 1 vs PR3
          PR1 vs PR4
          PR 1 VS PR5

          PR 1 : Relevant and something with PR2+ isn't.

          Same goes on for PR2,3,4,5,6,7,etc.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6509077].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author nik0
            Banned
            Originally Posted by Blue445nm View Post

            So is this right?: Wherever a link is posted, the content on that page gives no advantage to a link that is posted on the same PR page with irrelevant content.

            If there is no bonus then just ignore what I posted below.

            What if it's something like this:

            PR4 VS PR0
            PR 3 VS PR0
            PR 2 VS PR0
            PR 1 VS PR0

            PR 0 : Relevant and something with PR1+ isnt'.

            How about this:

            PR1 vs PR2
            PR 1 vs PR3
            PR1 vs PR4
            PR 1 VS PR5

            PR 1 : Relevant and something with PR2+ isn't.

            Same goes on for PR2,3,4,5,6,7,etc.
            It's not only about PR, it's also about authority of the site, it's hard to explain really but relevant links have more weight, can't express it in a number though. If I could chose between a PR2 relevant link or a PR3 non relevant link then I would rather go for the PR2 relevant one.

            However if I had to chose between a PR1 relevant and PR3 non relevant then give me the PR3 link please (assuming all other metrics like authority and such are the same).
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6509145].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author dmtaylor247
            Originally Posted by Blue445nm View Post

            So is this right?: Wherever a link is posted, the content o.n that page gives no advantage to a link that is posted on the same PR page with irrelevant content.
            The truth be said - it's the pagerank that passes anchor text value not the content but that doesn't make an irrelevant high pr link any better than low pr relevant link. In the long run it could cost you dearly.

            As i've said before, don't take Google for fools, they know what links are better than all of the people on this forum. They knew over 10 years ago that pagerank would be abused, the war on spam is the war on the abuse of pagerank manipulation.

            like I said, first focus on relevant links and branding your domain, then when you run out of options go for a few irrelevant links. It all depends on where you are in the serps and what your options are.

            With all said it's far better to have a low pr highly relevant link from a domain with high authority than it is to have a pagerank 6 spam link with no relevance where you stand the chance of being busted up by Google. If your links are on good terms then thats a different story. Maybe backlinking your low pr relevant link with a few high pr irrelevant links is a better option.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6509266].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author JSProjects
          Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

          Logic isn't your strongest point is it?

          Can't wait to get 50.000 quality pr0 comment links LOL
          LOL, that's a bit harsh. But, yeah, PR5 > PR0. I also don't buy into niche-related links being any better than non niche-related links. (When we're talking about just backlinks.) Traffic? Niche related links will definitely help.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7092365].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author QWE
      Originally Posted by JSProjects View Post

      3. I never bought into the .edu / .gov hype. So I'd say niche related would be better.
      .edu is not a hype if you can have do follow blog contextual links. I've witnessed the rank increase many times. .edu comments are hype though.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6509120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webdevpro
    First case: As there is a big diff in PR0 and PR5 so in that case having links from PR 5 will do something better. In other case say if you get relevant links from PR 2-3 site that will be better compared to PR5.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6501732].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gPlayer
    That is good what is related to your site. It does not matter what the PR is.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6501972].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Devid1
      Originally Posted by gPlayer View Post

      That is good what is related to your site. It does not matter what the PR is.
      Definitely.Related site will help you more than everything.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6560569].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dirocket
    its definitely PR5
    and for back links i not tried .gov or .org
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6511027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnes4th
    Without addressing each question individually, hopefully this response addresses the underlying tenets...

    It depends on what you are trying to achieve.... Are you trying to boost PR, boost SERPS, generate direct traffic, build a relationship with other webmasters (via blog commenting), etc?

    Boost PR - Higher PR page will normally be better assuming there are not a lot of additional outbound links. Getting a link on a PR5 page that has hundreds of other outbound links will not be worth much more than a PR0 page. Plus, keep in mind that a PR0 page on a quality website still in the maturation process and being actively promoted by the webmaster can end up being a PR5 page later on...

    Boost SERPS - I haven't done a lot of testing in terms of what a single non-relevant high PR link will provide vs. a single highly-relevant low PR link will provide... When in doubt, I prefer relevance - but I don't have any tests to confirm my preference.

    Boost Direct Traffic - Relevancy and high visitor activity should always be the preference.

    In a vacuum there is a difference in what these links can offer, but it is important to keep them in perspective with your entire link profile rather than comparing them side by side. Depending on your link profile and your link building goals/benchmarks (sculpt PR, boost SERPS, generate direct traffic, etc.) , either could be the best choice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6511259].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author alloviroid
      Its all depends on your site.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6512414].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Blue445nm
      Originally Posted by johnes4th View Post

      Without addressing each question individually, hopefully this response addresses the underlying tenets...

      It depends on what you are trying to achieve.... Are you trying to boost PR, boost SERPS, generate direct traffic, build a relationship with other webmasters (via blog commenting), etc?

      Boost PR - Higher PR page will normally be better assuming there are not a lot of additional outbound links. Getting a link on a PR5 page that has hundreds of other outbound links will not be worth much more than a PR0 page. Plus, keep in mind that a PR0 page on a quality website still in the maturation process and being actively promoted by the webmaster can end up being a PR5 page later on...

      Boost SERPS - I haven't done a lot of testing in terms of what a single non-relevant high PR link will provide vs. a single highly-relevant low PR link will provide... When in doubt, I prefer relevance - but I don't have any tests to confirm my preference.

      Boost Direct Traffic - Relevancy and high visitor activity should always be the preference.

      In a vacuum there is a difference in what these links can offer, but it is important to keep them in perspective with your entire link profile rather than comparing them side by side. Depending on your link profile and your link building goals/benchmarks (sculpt PR, boost SERPS, generate direct traffic, etc.) , either could be the best choice.
      Thank you mister, I COMPLETELY forgot to mention I only wanted an increase in SERP and not page rank. I know that higher PR links give higher PR to your site but I wanted to know if relevancy vs irrelevant would help serps
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6514121].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dmtaylor247
        Originally Posted by Blue445nm View Post

        Thank you mister, I COMPLETELY forgot to mention I only wanted an increase in SERP and not page rank. I know that higher PR links give higher PR to your site but I wanted to know if relevancy vs irrelevant would help serps
        If you have done abit of proper link building i.e: quality directories, articles, citations, guest blogging, press releases and all that and have branded your domain well and are sitting below page 50 then dropping a few links like this would bring you right up to the top of the serps.

        If you're already at the top I would focus more on sustainability, so links that will stick for ages. When links age over time, this is when you get the better positions on the first page, you need to wait abit for this. So in this respect it doesn't matter if it's high or low pr, it just needs to be a few links from authority domains that are going to last for 6/12 months+, this IMO is why low pr relevant links are just as powerful.

        I wouldn't get into the habit of spamming high pagerank irrelevant links when you're already there at the top, it could make things worse as you're more likely to have your links checked by someone. You're better off looking at your onpage metrics (against competition) and other signals like social to see what you can improve, and work on providing a better user experience. A few simple onsite changes could be all that's needed for those few extra spots of movement.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6514374].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prospectsoftech
    I think it great information share from all of u i didn't know all this so......... thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6512760].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JSProjects
    I think people are overreacting a bit on non-niche related links. (Calling them spam.)

    Obviously blasting thousands of unrelated sites with automated tools is a risky long-term move. But if you're selective, it's fine. Manually created links on quality sites are not going to raise any red flags. Mindlessly spamming will.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6561102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ashera
    Focus less on page rank...................
    Signature
    If you don't change direction, you'll end up where you're going.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6561148].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AtaArticles
      Which is more attractive:

      A pr2 or 3 relevant link or a PR7 not relevant to your site?

      Personally, i would choose the latter regardless if it's not relevant.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7063483].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RevSEO
    PR5 without a doubt, day in and day out.

    A relevant low quality PR0 link isn't gonna do anything. Heck, the whole relevancy thing is smoke and mirrors anyways. Google doesn't have the bandwidth to analyze backlinks at such a granular level and won't anytime soon.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7092787].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WraithSarko
      Originally Posted by RevSEO View Post

      PR5 without a doubt, day in and day out.

      A relevant low quality PR0 link isn't gonna do anything. Heck, the whole relevancy thing is smoke and mirrors anyways. Google doesn't have the bandwidth to analyze backlinks at such a granular level and won't anytime soon.
      choo talking bout rev?

      a page talking about hot dogs links to another page talking about hot dogs and google doesnt have the smarts to realize that??

      they using them old texas instruments computers with the cassette tapes or something?
      Signature
      SuperExpensiveNUKE...SubmitterEnvyNUKE...SENukeXCRaptastic
      I've spent the last 59 months building 412 MFA sites. Each site averages 8 cents per day...I said average, some make up to 17 cents per day, PASSIVE INCOME! This income allows me to live comfortably and buy ANY flavor Jolly Rancher or Skittles I desire. Don't give in to fear, it CAN be done!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7092900].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nik0
        Banned
        Originally Posted by WraithSarko View Post

        choo talking bout rev?

        a page talking about hot dogs links to another page talking about hot dogs and google doesnt have the smarts to realize that??

        they using them old texas instruments computers with the cassette tapes or something?
        Guess the guy needs to defend himself cause all links comes from non relevant domains on his network. Well same like my network but I ain't gonna pretend that a non relevant domain link is just as strong as a link from a RELEVANT domain. That would just be utter nonsense.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7093008].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author RevSEO
          Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

          Guess the guy needs to defend himself cause all links comes from non relevant domains on his network. Well same like my network but I ain't gonna pretend that a non relevant domain link is just as strong as a link from a RELEVANT domain. That would just be utter nonsense.
          Frankly I'm not concerned about your thoughts, I go on data.

          It's the same reason that paid links work, that Google has to aggressively deindex blog networks (with tons of irrelevant content), and do everything they can to stop and deindex other networks.

          If those links didn't work do you really think Google would spend so much time tracking down and deindexing these sites? You think a company like that would spend the resources to do that?

          The more people think that relevancy is important in backlinks, the better. That reduces the competition for the rest of us and lowers my cost per link because of the reduced demand.

          Start taking a good look at the SERPs when you get a chance and then tell me more about how important relevancy is.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7093076].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author nik0
            Banned
            Originally Posted by RevSEO View Post

            It's the same reason that paid links work, that Google has to aggressively deindex blog networks (with tons of irrelevant content), and do everything they can to stop and deindex other networks.

            If those links didn't work do you really think Google would spend so much time tracking down and deindexing these sites? You think a company like that would spend the resources to do that?

            The more people think that relevancy is important in backlinks, the better. That reduces the competition for the rest of us and lowers my cost per link because of the reduced demand.

            Start taking a good look at the SERPs when you get a chance and then tell me more about how important relevancy is.
            What a total bogus reply is that. Obvious paid links work, otherwise I wouldn't be selling them, and obvious paid links at non relevant domains work as well, but that has nothing to do with the whole point.

            Links at relevant domains just work better, which is totally undeniable.

            Hey, if I find a site that ranks with only senukex links, will you then say that senukex links work just as well as paid high PR links? :rolleyes:

            (stupid comparison he, but that's exactly what you're doing here, giving everything the same weight)
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7093140].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WraithSarko
    i dig that you sell high pr links and that it's effective, but you said google cant determine relevancy between two pages

    say whaaat?
    Signature
    SuperExpensiveNUKE...SubmitterEnvyNUKE...SENukeXCRaptastic
    I've spent the last 59 months building 412 MFA sites. Each site averages 8 cents per day...I said average, some make up to 17 cents per day, PASSIVE INCOME! This income allows me to live comfortably and buy ANY flavor Jolly Rancher or Skittles I desire. Don't give in to fear, it CAN be done!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7093117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 32paul52
    I am Voting for the PR as well (the actual page not the domain) - others have said you need relevance - but everyhting time I have revers engineered a top site, they have links from not on topic sites. If you did this with a top ranked web site company (keyword: "website design") - they will have linked from footer of all the clients (of topic) sites! - nuff said!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7093227].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Babar2b
    High PR + Relevance pays off, for sure.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7096270].message }}

Trending Topics