Is Google Adsense nothing but a big hype?

48 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I have 3 websites with over 5000 views and nothing to show for but 1 click on my Adsense ads. Am I doing anything wrong, or is it that the days of making money with Adsense are gone??
#adsense #big #google #hype
  • Profile picture of the author ausdeals
    what niche?
    either a bad niche, or poorly placed ads.
    Ive only had this happen with unrelated ads, in a crappy niche.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6767299].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eeeasyas12345
    The sites are children bed stories, money blog ideas, and make cash blogging
    all dotcom, you can take a look and tell me what you think, thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6767323].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      You drank the kool aid and swallowed a big lie,
      perpetuated by, sadly, many here.

      Adsense is not a get rich quick scheme. It takes
      hard work, lots of it, and patience.

      If that scares you, you were duped by the hype.

      Improve your sites, publish content, get targeted
      visitors. Read the forum. It's full of ways.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6767359].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author eeeasyas12345
        Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

        You drank the kool aid and swallowed a big lie,
        perpetuated by, sadly, many here.

        Adsense is not a get rich quick scheme. It takes
        hard work, lots of it, and patience.

        If that scares you, you were duped by the hype.

        Improve your sites, publish content, get targeted
        visitors. Read the forum. It's full of ways.

        Paul
        I know it is not a get rich thing I am not talking about quitting my job, but I thought I'd get something like between 50 and a 100 dollars a month, not 2 dollars every 4 months lol.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6767381].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ownergolan
        Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

        You drank the kool aid and swallowed a big lie,
        perpetuated by, sadly, many here.

        Adsense is not a get rich quick scheme. It takes
        hard work, lots of it, and patience.

        If that scares you, you were duped by the hype.

        Improve your sites, publish content, get targeted
        visitors. Read the forum. It's full of ways.

        Paul
        Lke everything in IM, its sweet from a far, but demands hard work.
        Signature
        "Aiyyo I'm gonna be on ti-dop, that's all my eyes can see..
        Ill put in work, and watch my status escalate"
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6768127].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Trevor
        Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

        You drank the kool aid and swallowed a big lie,
        perpetuated by, sadly, many here.

        Adsense is not a get rich quick scheme. It takes
        hard work, lots of it, and patience.

        If that scares you, you were duped by the hype.

        Improve your sites, publish content, get targeted
        visitors. Read the forum. It's full of ways.

        Paul
        That's right. You may spend a few months building your sites and creating backlinks before you see any results.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6768483].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author mattyb4real
          Have you tried putting a 250x250 ad in place of the images at the top of each of your posts? That's always been an effective ad placement for me.

          My experience with AdSense has been that it takes a few months before you start seeing any real return with new sites. 5000 visitors and 1 click is an excessively bad ratio, though. Where are you getting that data from? It could be that a lot of that traffic is non-human traffic, which might explain the poor click ratio.

          That 460 banner ad on the home page of your children bed stories site, under the slideshow, looks terrible, btw. I would recommend fixing that immediately.

          And if that Amazon image in the right sidebar is an affiliate link, you should get an affiliate disclaimer on all of your sites. It's just a short paragraph, but it's part of their TOS. You should be able to find what I'm talking about if you Google around.

          Just be patient. Adsense definitely isn't an immediate, get-rich-quick type of thing.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6769619].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author eeeasyas12345
            Originally Posted by mattyb4real View Post

            Have you tried putting a 250x250 ad in place of the images at the top of each of your posts? That's always been an effective ad placement for me.

            My experience with AdSense has been that it takes a few months before you start seeing any real return with new sites. 5000 visitors and 1 click is an excessively bad ratio, though. Where are you getting that data from? It could be that a lot of that traffic is non-human traffic, which might explain the poor click ratio.

            That 460 banner ad on the home page of your children bed stories site, under the slideshow, looks terrible, btw. I would recommend fixing that immediately.

            And if that Amazon image in the right sidebar is an affiliate link, you should get an affiliate disclaimer on all of your sites. It's just a short paragraph, but it's part of their TOS. You should be able to find what I'm talking about if you Google around.

            Just be patient. Adsense definitely isn't an immediate, get-rich-quick type of thing.
            Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate anyone's feed back on how to improve my sites.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6769840].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author paulgl
          Originally Posted by Trevor View Post

          That's right. You may spend a few months building your sites and creating backlinks before you see any results.
          You know it took me a year to get my first payout? I'd say that's
          typical for the vast majority. I had no clue as to what I was
          doing. That was roughly 4 years ago. I have never looked
          back. You learn daily, you improve daily.

          The number of visitors and niche has little to do with my
          success. People think if they get masses of visitors and
          create some lawyer site, bingo. Instant riches.

          Took me a while to realize that people bid on your site
          based on it's ability to attract paying customers to their
          websites. I started websites that I have an interest in.

          When I read of people not making money, or thinking they
          are making lousy money, makes me want to scream.
          Too many people here are into keyword baloney, starting
          sites because someone told them the keyword pays
          boatloads. What they failed to tell you, is you will
          not be making boatloads until your site proves its worth.

          Google is not stupid.

          One of my biggest adsense tips is content. Google is
          not stupid, but the general public can be. They can
          be cajoled into clicking on an ad if:
          1)Your content satisfies them between 50-75% of
          what they want. You've got to leave them wanting,
          not fuming. I hate going to sites that don't at least
          give my search inquiry a go.
          2) Ads are integrated to get them noticed. Make them
          in your face, use all 3 ad blocks, use image/text. Don't
          blend, hide, or otherwise make them secret.

          Now if your content gives the adsensebot the right
          signals, and you yourself are getting targeted traffic,
          you can't help but be successful in the long run.

          Paul
          Signature

          If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6770427].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author eeeasyas12345
            Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

            You know it took me a year to get my first payout? I'd say that's
            typical for the vast majority. I had no clue as to what I was
            doing. That was roughly 4 years ago. I have never looked
            back. You learn daily, you improve daily.

            The number of visitors and niche has little to do with my
            success. People think if they get masses of visitors and
            create some lawyer site, bingo. Instant riches.

            Took me a while to realize that people bid on your site
            based on it's ability to attract paying customers to their
            websites. I started websites that I have an interest in.

            When I read of people not making money, or thinking they
            are making lousy money, makes me want to scream.
            Too many people here are into keyword baloney, starting
            sites because someone told them the keyword pays
            boatloads. What they failed to tell you, is you will
            not be making boatloads until your site proves its worth.

            Google is not stupid.

            One of my biggest adsense tips is content. Google is
            not stupid, but the general public can be. They can
            be cajoled into clicking on an ad if:
            1)Your content satisfies them between 50-75% of
            what they want. You've got to leave them wanting,
            not fuming. I hate going to sites that don't at least
            give my search inquiry a go.
            2) Ads are integrated to get them noticed. Make them
            in your face, use all 3 ad blocks, use image/text. Don't
            blend, hide, or otherwise make them secret.

            Now if your content gives the adsensebot the right
            signals, and you yourself are getting targeted traffic,
            you can't help but be successful in the long run.

            Paul
            Hi, I am just wondering , how many sites you have? and how much you average from each site with Adsense if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6770895].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author DarrenHaynes
            Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

            You know it took me a year to get my first payout? I'd say that's
            typical for the vast majority. I had no clue as to what I was
            doing. That was roughly 4 years ago. I have never looked
            back. You learn daily, you improve daily.

            The number of visitors and niche has little to do with my
            success. People think if they get masses of visitors and
            create some lawyer site, bingo. Instant riches.

            Took me a while to realize that people bid on your site
            based on it's ability to attract paying customers to their
            websites. I started websites that I have an interest in.

            When I read of people not making money, or thinking they
            are making lousy money, makes me want to scream.
            Too many people here are into keyword baloney, starting
            sites because someone told them the keyword pays
            boatloads. What they failed to tell you, is you will
            not be making boatloads until your site proves its worth.

            Google is not stupid.

            One of my biggest adsense tips is content. Google is
            not stupid, but the general public can be. They can
            be cajoled into clicking on an ad if:
            1)Your content satisfies them between 50-75% of
            what they want. You've got to leave them wanting,
            not fuming. I hate going to sites that don't at least
            give my search inquiry a go.
            2) Ads are integrated to get them noticed. Make them
            in your face, use all 3 ad blocks, use image/text. Don't
            blend, hide, or otherwise make them secret.

            Now if your content gives the adsensebot the right
            signals, and you yourself are getting targeted traffic,
            you can't help but be successful in the long run.

            Paul
            Same here, took me a little under a year to get my first adsense check and it was all uphill from there.

            I would also ask where your daily 300 unique visitors are coming from? Search engine traffic? Social? I ask, because social traffic in my experience converts almost next to nothing for adsense clicks, search engine traffic is where it is at, providing there are other important on site factors in place, and the niche/keywords you get traffic with.
            Signature
            TheSpinningTop.net
            Buy Paragraph, Sentence, and Word Spun Articles
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6772170].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author eeeasyas12345
              Originally Posted by DarrenHaynes View Post

              Same here, took me a little under a year to get my first adsense check and it was all uphill from there.

              I would also ask where your daily 300 unique visitors are coming from? Search engine traffic? Social? I ask, because social traffic in my experience converts almost next to nothing for adsense clicks, search engine traffic is where it is at, providing there are other important on site factors in place, and the niche/keywords you get traffic with.
              Mostly direct traffic and Google, no social traffic.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6773094].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by eeeasyas12345 View Post

      The sites are children bed stories, money blog ideas, and make cash blogging
      all dotcom, you can take a look and tell me what you think, thanks.
      What's the site URL?
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6779365].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author eeeasyas12345
        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        What's the site URL?
        I have 3 sites:
        children bed stories
        make cash blogging
        money blog ideas
        all dot com
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6782917].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author yukon
          Banned
          Originally Posted by eeeasyas12345 View Post

          I have 3 sites:
          children bed stories
          make cash blogging
          money blog ideas
          all dot com
          The "children bed stories" is the only one that doesn't sound spammy.

          I looked at your "children bed stories" in your forum sig., you have a big problem with canonical tags.

          Look at the source code of this page:

          hxxp://www.childrenbedstories [dot] com/the-monster/
          1)

          <!-- This site is optimized with the Yoast WordPress SEO plugin v1.2.5 - hxxp://yoast.com/wordpress/seo/]WordPress SEO Plugin -->
          <link rel="canonical" href="hxxp://www.childrenbedstories.com/the-monster/" />
          <!-- / Yoast WordPress SEO plugin. -->






          2)

          <!-- All in One SEO Pack 1.6.14.6 by Michael Torbert of Semper Fi Web Design[-1,-1] -->
          <link rel="canonical" href="hxxp://www.childrenbedstories.com/the-monster/" />
          <!-- /all in one seo pack -->






          3)

          <!-- platinum seo pack 1.3.7 -->
          <link rel="canonical" href="hxxp://www.childrenbedstories.com/the-monster/" />
          <!-- /platinum one seo pack -->





          The problem is your running 3 separate SEO plugins:
          • <!-- This site is optimized with the Yoast WordPress SEO plugin v1.2.5 - hxxp://yoast.com/wordpress/seo/]WordPress SEO Plugin -->
          • <!-- All in One SEO Pack 1.6.14.6 by Michael Torbert of Semper Fi Web Design[-1,-1] -->
          • <!-- platinum seo pack 1.3.7 -->

          You also have 7 pages indexed for the same content, very confusing, each Wordpress Tag page is claiming the same content with it's own set of 3 canonical tags per individual page.


          Classic case of Wordpress plugin overkill.
          Signature
          Hi
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6783189].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Xneaker
    Btw, how many visitors per day?
    Signature
    Lowest price and bonus for Internet Marketing Tools, click HERE and run a search :)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6767493].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Oranges
    Originally Posted by eeeasyas12345 View Post

    I have 3 websites with over 5000 views and nothing to show for but 1 click on my Adsense ads. Am I doing anything wrong, or is it that the days of making money with Adsense are gone??
    Gone?
    Re-think about that ASAP!
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6767597].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarkBowden
    Like Paul said, Adsense is not a "get rich quick" way of making money online. If your ads aren't converting, try switching up the Adsense locations on your pages/posts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6767613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    1. Test Ad layouts/colors
    2. Make notes of weekly results
    3. Compare new test to older test
    4. Test Ad layouts/colors
    5. Make notes of weekly results
    6. Compare new test to older test
    7. Test Ad layouts/colors
    8. Make notes of weekly results
    9. Compare new test to older test
    10. etc...
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6767891].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mantasmo
    Probably just a shit niche tbh. You should be able to pull in $5 to $20 per day from 300 daily unique visitors... in pretty much any niche that even remotely converts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6768342].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mosthost
    I wouldn't say Adsense is nothing but hype, but people do seem more ad-blind than ever. How many people have Ad-blockers running now? Could be in the multi-millions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6769658].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WinmanRoss
    Banned
    Test and implement. Test and implement some more. Maybe you placed the ads in a wrong place, maybe the design of your website is not good. There are many things that influence your Adsense earnings.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6769697].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    Money isn't on the street to just pickup, when you want to make an income to live from it then in most businesses you need to invest like few years income or work to reach that.

    Online it can be done faster and cheaper though. Take a look at guys like Adsenseflippers who make on average like $7/site/month. So for $2100/month, you would need 300 sites. At a cost of around $50 per site that would mean you need to invest $15.000,-

    If you're smart and work hard you won't need 15k, cause you can sell sites in the process to fund new sites, you can also focus on larger sites, or promote products where you get good commissions and lower the initial investments a lot.

    Anyway if it was all that easy then everyone would be living fulltime from IM, while most still have their daily jobs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6769990].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cabbey
    This business is about having the proper tools, testing, testing and doing more testing.

    You will eventually find what works. Persevere.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6770327].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Carl Brown
      If all of your sites are like the one listed, you won't get clicks. The problem isn't adsense, it is the site/sites

      The amazon ad works with that site though
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6770428].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author eeeasyas12345
        Originally Posted by Carl Brown View Post

        If all of your sites are like the one listed, you won't get clicks. The problem isn't adsense, it is the site/sites

        The amazon ad works with that site though
        Can you explain more please, why you think so?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6773089].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Carl Brown
          Originally Posted by eeeasyas12345 View Post

          Can you explain more please, why you think so?
          On the site I saw, the ads don't stand out. There are too many distractions (lots of small images and other things).

          I agree with paulgl.

          2) Ads are integrated to get them noticed. Make them
          in your face, use all 3 ad blocks, use image/text. Don't
          blend, hide, or otherwise make them secret.
          The ads shouldn't get lost in the mix by "blending in" they shoud stand out. The content should be good and worth reading, but the eye should be drawn to what your advertisers are promoting.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6773141].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prismkuet
    5000 views per day and only one click? Probably, you have made mistake in stats! Even if your ad is badly placed, you should have got more click than what you said. If your stats is true, are those visitors are organic or purchased? Adsense is not a dead issue. It is still a good option for making money.
    Signature

    check out the Pros and Cons of CPA

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6770580].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author daweelmac
    Just test test test on your ad placement. No same ad placement works on the same site. It all depends on your niche. So try experimenting until you can get what you want to achieve.
    Signature
    Famous Fashion Designers Directory

    Famous photographers interesting facts and biographies >> Famous-Photographer.net

    Life and expeditions of world's most famous explorers >> Famous-Explorers.net
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6770858].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author n0tr3v3
    Wow that is rough bro. I have websites that rank up and down but when they are in #1 or #2. I get loads of clicks and those website are centered around adsense.

    Maybe you're solving the visitor problem too well.
    Best Ad Tip is to alway place your ads where they can see it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6773121].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Damn, I couldn't imagine going a whole year before the first payout.

    I'm not bragging but I had my first payout (and then some) in my first month of creating my first site.

    I think a lot of IMers problem is they think Google is the only traffic on the net (mistake).

    Niche forum traffic is good dependable free traffic, the drawback for most IMers is, you have to build up an audience of repeat traffic, which isn't difficult, just some people can't get past the spammy ideas & forum traffic doesn't follow spam.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6777259].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    I've been reading like 3-4 months before I started with a site, then it made like 20 bucks/month within a week and then it got sandboxed. Then again 3 months later it started to make $200/month. So in total 7-8 months before it made some worthy money. I guess it's the case for most people.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6777577].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author eeeasyas12345
      Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

      I've been reading like 3-4 months before I started with a site, then it made like 20 bucks/month within a week and then it got sandboxed. Then again 3 months later it started to make $200/month. So in total 7-8 months before it made some worthy money. I guess it's the case for most people.
      Good for you buddy, here I am 4 months after the sites were created and nothing to show for but 1 click worth 90 cents.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6778050].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    First thing that I would recommend people is to forget about those 1k exact searches keywords, like micro niche sites. You should only do that when you don't care and just want to test your stuff OR when you plenty of money to scale this thing up fast.

    Otherwise you can better chose a keyword with many more searches so that you make some money that motivates you to continue.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6779265].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author nekwf
      Originally Posted by nik0 View Post

      First thing that I would recommend people is to forget about those 1k exact searches keywords, like micro niche sites. You should only do that when you don't care and just want to test your stuff OR when you plenty of money to scale this thing up fast.

      Otherwise you can better chose a keyword with many more searches so that you make some money that motivates you to continue.
      Wouldn't the difficulty of ranking scale up as the number of searches goes up?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6779427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hilarious89
    I think your ad place choosing is wrong. You can use header ads for more clicks.
    Signature
    My Archive :- A blog where you will get everything updated !
    Get Walkthrough Videos of Newly Released Games from Entertainment Discuss!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6783095].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WarGasm
    It probably has more to do with your niche selection than anything. Its unlikely that someone whose searching for bedtime stories is in the mood to buy something. Nor are people looking up ideas for blogging. These are generally freebie seekers. You might get a few clicks here and there but the potential isn't as good as you'd like.

    You'd be better off picking niches where people are looking to solve a particular problem, are in need of urgent help, or are looking to improve their lives.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6783227].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author eeeasyas12345
      Originally Posted by WarGasm View Post

      It probably has more to do with your niche selection than anything. Its unlikely that someone whose searching for bedtime stories is in the mood to buy something. Nor are people looking up ideas for blogging. These are generally freebie seekers. You might get a few clicks here and there but the potential isn't as good as you'd like.

      You'd be better off picking niches where people are looking to solve a particular problem, are in need of urgent help, or are looking to improve their lives.
      Any suggestions?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6784137].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JoshuaG
    I think anything I could say has already been mentioned in the thread. But I just wanted to follow up to confirm what I think of some of the above statements to help you.

    1 - With the amount of traffic you're getting, your CTR should be much higher.

    2 - Testing different ad layouts and colors is a great idea

    3 - These people who take a year to get a cheque are unskilled/uninformed. I got my first payout about 3 months in with no previous SEO, online marketing, web development, or adsense experience.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6783284].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author eeeasyas12345
      Originally Posted by JoshuaG View Post

      I think anything I could say has already been mentioned in the thread. But I just wanted to follow up to confirm what I think of some of the above statements to help you.

      1 - With the amount of traffic you're getting, your CTR should be much higher.

      2 - Testing different ad layouts and colors is a great idea

      3 - These people who take a year to get a cheque are unskilled/uninformed. I got my first payout about 3 months in with no previous SEO, online marketing, web development, or adsense experience.
      What is your site? Maybe I should take a look at it and get some ideas.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6784144].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Funkymonkeyman
    Try for amazon. Think its better than adsense
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6783334].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author woilf111
    Lol Try the "Send Feedback button" Send some bad feedback. As soon as I do that I tend to instantly get clicks... Funny as it may sound...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6785029].message }}

Trending Topics