I don't post a lot on this forum but I've been here looking around for about a year and a half now. Yesterday, something a bit unusual happened on my website and I just wanted to share it with you and add some thoughts.
I started a membership website about a year ago and I built up the traffic up to around 200 unique visits a day, which is ok for me, as the subject of the website is quite narrow.
Anyway, yesterday I check my google analytics and noticed a huge increase of 10x my usual traffic. So I check and saw that someone linked to one of my article from a popular website.
Checking on this new traffic, I could see that:
- 1. 90% of it came from a mobile device
- 2. The bounce rate was around 90%
I knew that the increase wont last long (a couple of days top: as soon as im off the "news" of the other website, my traffic will be back as usual).
SO what did I do?
- First I added adsense within my article, to get a few clicks.
- Then in the hope of guiding the traffic to other parts of my website, I added a link to another closely related article.
- Finally, as my content is mainly videos, I also added one of the videos that I concider as "catchy".
So it leads me to a couple of conclusions:
- Traffic is worth nothing if it is not targeted (I knew that already, but since I'm writting on the WF, it worth saying it again)
- Creating an app to send your feeds to your followers is a really good idea.
Hope my english wasn't that bad