How Do I Know If My Blog Was Hit By Google Penguin?

20 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Last few days, when I check my Google PageRank using an online PR checker, my blog ranked as 4th but when I checked it today it gave me a total shock when I found out that it lowered down to PR zero (0). Was I penalized by Google Penguin? And how do I know if I was? I couldn't think of some reasons why they should do that to my blog. Downgrading my PR from 4 to 0 isn't a joke.
#blog #google #hit #penguin
  • Profile picture of the author Anoopchawla
    IF your whole site's ranking has been hit then probably you are hit by penguin (penguin is a broad penalty) but if you have lost your ranking for some specific pages then you have been hit by Panda.

    Hope it helps
    Signature

    Free Training: How To Turn What You Already Know Into A Profitable Digital Product:
    https://teachandberich.com/

    [Done For You] Web Design Business In A Box (Zero Technical Skills Required)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6988392].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eresource
    This is the first I've heard of Penguin making PR drop.

    It should be when you see drastic traffic reduction and your keyword rankings suffer a big drop -like maybe from page 1 to over 100.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6988974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Penguin doesn't impact your PR.

    It is probably just your PR checker not working. Try another one.
    Signature
    New Private Mastermind Group Discussing SEO, Local SEO, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and more -
    Open for A Limited Time!

    Request to Join
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6989079].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author arielparconjr
      Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

      Penguin doesn't impact your PR.

      It is probably just your PR checker not working. Try another one.
      I'm using www.checkpagerank.net for checking my PR
      Signature
      The Idea Marketplace Blog: www.arielparconjr.com
      News, Guest Post, Tech, Opinion, Entertainment, Tips, How To, and Fashion
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6989455].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John Ac
    Penguin can rank your PR but....

    Page rank is one thing and ranking or better said serp or search engine position si another thing.

    The PR or page rank is update once in a while there are periodic update and penguin can affect your page rank but this only if you was penalized by google and you will see it at the next PR update.

    Serp is constantly update it and can be affected by G update but those update are taking place, or at least big update like the penguin, are made at certain period time and they target all the website.

    You just loose serp and this is common and is part of search engine and happen for several reason that need a close analyze to find why.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6989137].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      Originally Posted by John Ac View Post

      Penguin can rank your PR but....
      WHAT? I don't even know what that means...you gotta
      explain that baby.

      PR is based solely on backlinks. If any of those pages were
      deindexed, or devalued some of them, then
      yes, it could lower your PR.

      But then, your backlinks were junk to begin with for
      it get lowered from 4 to 0.

      Now one could argue that if penguin trashed some sites
      that you backlink on, well,...

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6991329].message }}
  • As per my opinion, your website is not penalized from penguin or panda. Because if your website is penalized by panda and penguin it should effect your traffic most. I think some of your website's high quality backlinks are degraded by Google. Or may be you have totally lost the those backlinks because they are removed by their webmasters.

    PR is totaly related to high quality backlinks. If you are keep getting high quality backlinks then your PR will be steady or increased.

    So plese check your backlinks history, is there any good backliinks which are removed now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6989180].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author arielparconjr
      Originally Posted by webdesigndevelopment View Post

      As per my opinion, your website is not penalized from penguin or panda. Because if your website is penalized by panda and penguin it should effect your traffic most. I think some of your website's high quality backlinks are degraded by Google. Or may be you have totally lost the those backlinks because they are removed by their webmasters.

      PR is totaly related to high quality backlinks. If you are keep getting high quality backlinks then your PR will be steady or increased.

      So plese check your backlinks history, is there any good backliinks which are removed now.
      How can check if there are good backlinks that are removed? thanks
      Signature
      The Idea Marketplace Blog: www.arielparconjr.com
      News, Guest Post, Tech, Opinion, Entertainment, Tips, How To, and Fashion
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6989451].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Greene
      Originally Posted by webdesigndevelopment View Post


      PR is totaly related to high quality backlinks. If you are keep getting high quality backlinks then your PR will be steady or increased.
      I cannot agree with you. I have seen a lot of page that has been getting high page ranking without any backlink at all. I myself have created a hubpages hub for which I have never built any backlinks but yet the page have got PR 2 after a few days of publishing. Even the same case I have seen in a blogger blog. After a few days of posting an article, it has got PR 3. No backlinks were built for that article.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6993781].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author carrotdogs
        Originally Posted by Alex Greene View Post

        I cannot agree with you. I have seen a lot of page that has been getting high page ranking without any backlink at all. I myself have created a hubpages hub for which I have never built any backlinks but yet the page have got PR 2 after a few days of publishing. Even the same case I have seen in a blogger blog. After a few days of posting an article, it has got PR 3. No backlinks were built for that article.
        That Hub is likely to have internal links pointing to it which will pass PR Value
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7011026].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rickydiar
    just check ur content ,if content is copy in inner page or other websites than it must be harmful for ur site but as u say from page rank 4 to 0 its not possible just becoz of panda n penguin updation.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6989220].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ljennifer012
    Is there a change in your website traffic? If that's so then you are more likely penalized by Google Penguin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6989434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author satrap
    As MikeFriedman said above, penguin doesn't impact your PR. It doesn't have anything to do with it.

    You got this thing kind of mixed up. When a PR update happens, it effects every single site/page alive. So, if there was such a thing, everybody would be talking about it by now.
    Signature
    60 Awesome Ways to Make Money Without a Job
    .................................
    Check out my blog Survey Satrap featuring honest reviews of paid survey sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6991288].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bruce Wayne
    You will surely notice it, if you see a decrease in the traffic coming to your website.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6992102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jb4522jb
    If you had hit ranked number 4 and now its not ranked in the top 1000. You were definitely penalized by penguin. You have to go back to work on this...Several of my sites got hit like this. Have to start over.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6992753].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan Davis
    Originally Posted by arielparconjr View Post

    Last few days, when I check my Google PageRank using an online PR checker, my blog ranked as 4th but when I checked it today it gave me a total shock when I found out that it lowered down to PR zero (0). Was I penalized by Google Penguin? And how do I know if I was? I couldn't think of some reasons why they should do that to my blog. Downgrading my PR from 4 to 0 isn't a joke.
    Are you saying that you went from PageRank 4 to PageRank 0?

    Or did you lose your position in the search results?

    Reasons this could have happened is if you have "un-natural links" or low-quality content.

    If you were using automated link building there's a chance you could have gotten linked from a site that Google doesn't approve of.

    Check your links, your content, fix things that are not the way they should be.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6993310].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rehmat
    It depends that which website you have browsed to check the PR of your page. Most of the online website analyzers provide the wrong info, so you should analyze your website at a reputable service
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7010946].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Enzo Ewens
      Did you rank in the 4th spot? Or is that your pagerank?

      Check ir PR checker.


      Is your site still indexed?
      Signature
      ***** Read My Complete SENUKE X CR Review *****
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7010976].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author david87
    Penguin can affect SERPs but it doesn't have any role in page rank.If you lost page rank of your blog then it might be due to low quality content of your blog posts or perhaps some backlinks have removed.Do complete analysis and try to find out the exact reason.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7010982].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarvyDery
    how long does it take google to crawl my links. My site have disappeared from google serps a month ago but it still ranks well in bing and yahoo. why, please help me?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7011230].message }}

Trending Topics