Authority/Brand site owners - step forward

35 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi All,

Since the EMD update I think its taught most of us who didnt already know to just build great authority/brand websites with good content and/or products!

So I wanted to know those of you who currently own an authority/brand website.

- How long did it take you to get a high rank on google?
- Do you find they are more successful than perhaps your previous small niche or micro sites?
- How do you earn money from your brand/authority site?
- How long have you been running it for?
#authority or brand #forward #owners #site #step
  • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
    - How long did it take you to get a high rank on google?

    My sites typically start ranking within a week, sometimes two.

    - Do you find they are more successful than perhaps your previous small niche or micro sites?

    Far more successful.

    - How do you earn money from your brand/authority site?

    Amazon

    - How long have you been running it for?

    My biggest site is about a year old. My newest is about 2 months old. Both are ranking well.
    Signature
    Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
    CLICK HERE FOR INFO
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7086689].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Nelapsi
      - How long did it take you to get a high rank on google?

      Depends, this is due to the amount of topics the site covers. Generally if I blink hard I can be on page 2, taking first position might take a little work especially if I am branching to a new topic.

      - Do you find they are more successful than perhaps your previous small niche or micro sites?

      Extremely

      - How do you earn money from your brand/authority site?

      In the process of switching over from Adsense ( was hitting $80/day avg) to selling ad space (both direct and indirect). The reason for this is my second site I need more experience at this to achieve it's income potential down the road. I also dropped Adsense because some of the code I have wrote uses iframes to work better for user interaction and Adsense does not like iframes. I have tons of plans and in order to explore them I needed more control over ads.

      - How long have you been running it for?

      Site 1: I have owned the domain for 9 years
      Site 2: 1 year
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087461].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GGpaul
    - How long did it take you to get a high rank on google?

    My sites typically start ranking within a week, sometimes two.

    - Do you find they are more successful than perhaps your previous small niche or micro sites?

    Far more successful.

    - How do you earn money from your brand/authority site?

    Amazon

    - How long have you been running it for?

    My biggest site is about 3 months old. My newest is about a month old.


    .
    Signature

    RIP Dad Oct 14 1954 - Mar 14 2015.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7086710].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Geekgirl01 View Post

    - How long did it take you to get a high rank on google?
    Can't remember, it's been too many years since I ranked my first keyword. I still rank new keywords & usually don't have a problem hitting first page with my new keywords/pages (I never stop looking for new keywords/traffic).

    There's a big difference between ranking micro sites & ranking large sites, the micro site has no choice, If they want to rank it's only going to happen from 100% external links.

    Obviously you need external links to get the ball rolling, but after the first few pages are ranked with good external links, you can branch out from the existing ranked pages with new internal pages & rank those new internal pages from mostly internal links (depending on comp.). The key is relevancy.

    If I rank a page for the keyword car insurance, half my work is already done when I want to create a new page for the keyword low cost car insurance. So my next keyword/page might be lowest priced car insurance chicago. Repeat...

    • car insurance
      • low cost car insurance
      • lowest priced car insurance chicago
      • etc...

    I know people are afraid of trying to rank for tough keywords (ex: car insurance), but you can't think like that & to be honest it doesn't matter If you ever rank for the keyword (car insurance), what matters is Google finds the keyword page for car insurance someplace on your site, that's the relvancy Google is looking for to help rank the rest of your keywords/pages (low cost car insurance, lowest priced car insurance chicago).




    Originally Posted by Geekgirl01 View Post

    - Do you find they are more successful than perhaps your previous small niche or micro sites?
    I've tried the micro niche type sites, there's nothing more boring than toaster ovens. If I'm not having fun, I'm not doing it.




    Originally Posted by Geekgirl01 View Post

    - How do you earn money from your brand/authority site?
    • Adsense
    • Selling own products
    • Clickbank
    • Selling competitions product



    Originally Posted by Geekgirl01 View Post

    - How long have you been running it for?
    • My best performing site is 6 years old.
    • Total of around 2,500+ pages on 3 domains.
    • Approx. 50% SERP traffic, the other 50% is traffic from blogs/forums/direct traffic.

    Remember one thing about traffic, If your not retaining traffic, your losing traffic.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7086715].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BillyBacklinks
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      My best performing site is 6 years old.
      • Total of around 2,500+ pages on 3 domains.
      • Approx. 50% SERP traffic, the other 50% is traffic from blogs/forums/direct traffic.

      Remember one thing about traffic, If your not retaining traffic, your losing traffic.
      Hey Yukon, just curious, what kinda traffic are you getting for those 2,500 pages?
      Signature


      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7105003].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author retsek
    How will answers to these questions even help you ?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7086722].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Geekgirl01
      Originally Posted by retsek View Post

      How will answers to these questions even help you ?

      Becuase I wanted to know how successful authority sites are and how long they take to rank.

      And it proves to people and myself that authority/brand sites have a high success rate
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7086880].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AntonioSeegars1
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087096].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Geekgirl01
        Originally Posted by AntonioSeegars1 View Post

        Easy. People will provide her with the information she's looking for, she'll ask them more questions from different angles that will allow her to compose a full picture of exactly what they are doing to make money, then she will use their techniques and tactics to take their profits.
        How cheeky! I have no interst in taking their profits....this is a forum where we all HELP eachother....do you really think they would provide me with such information if they thought I would take their profits

        Get a life!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087122].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Geekgirl01
    Thank you for all your answers! Sounds brilliant....and you all seem like your running great sites and seeing good results.
    And it doesnt seem all that much harder either, maybe just takes a littlle longer?
    These answers are the reason why more people should be building sites like this
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7086874].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gpwilson
    Here are the answer of your four questions:
    1. My sites typically start ranking less than a week. Because each of every day i use all sort of SEO tactics.

    2. Obviously

    3. I am with Amazon

    4. The age of my oldest site is more than 6 months. And the age of my newest site is 2 month.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087143].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Geekgirl01
    Thank you gpwilson.

    I cant believe most of your sites rank within a week or so....I was expecting authorities to take longer to rank
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087155].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IM Ash
    You should have asked about competition as well! Low comp. KWs rank in no time!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087218].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author AntonioSeegars1
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087231].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mkj
        I cant believe most of your sites rank within a week or so....I was expecting authorities to take longer to rank
        Load of nonsense. What these new sites are experiencing is the phenomenan called the 'Honeymoon' period. This is where a new domain is granted unpenalised privileges. It is after this period where a new site settles. The 'Honeymoon' period lasts for anything from a few days to 2 weeks or so, or at least it used to before this last algo update.

        No site ranks so fast as a week or so and holds that position.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087295].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
          Originally Posted by Mkj View Post


          No site ranks so fast as a week or so and holds that position.
          There are many, many people on this forum (besides myself) that will beg to differ.
          Signature
          Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
          CLICK HERE FOR INFO
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087307].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mkj
            Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

            There are many, many people on this forum (besides myself) that will beg to differ.
            Ok. How much is it going to cost me to find out this all important knowledge you know? Free is it?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087347].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Capbell
              My first website ever took me 10 weeks to get to rank number one. It was low comp and is a EMD, still number one today.

              Curiously though, I have one competitor who bought the emd with a crap extension (not .com, .org, .net). His/her site only has three average quality 500-700 word articles and he is still ranking 6.

              I was hoping Google would tell him to **** off :-)
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087384].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
              Originally Posted by Mkj View Post

              Ok. How much is it going to cost me to find out this all important knowledge you know? Free is it?
              Won't cost you a dime. Just search around the forums and ask. As a matter of fact, I'll do it for you.

              Let's see if we can't get you some answers for free.
              Signature
              Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
              CLICK HERE FOR INFO
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087486].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Mkj
                Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

                Won't cost you a dime. Just search around the forums and ask. As a matter of fact, I'll do it for you.

                Let's see if we can't get you some answers for free.
                Ok I want to setup a site for tvs with 10000 products acquired via a database download. How do I rank for the site and each page with products on?

                Shoot!
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087507].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
                  Originally Posted by Mkj View Post

                  Ok I want to setup a site for tvs with 10000 products acquired via a database download. How do I rank for the site and each page with products on?

                  Shoot!
                  Well, I can tell you that you already are on the road to failure because you can't possibly provide any kind of useful content for that many products.
                  Signature
                  Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
                  CLICK HERE FOR INFO
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087514].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Mkj
                    Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

                    Well, I can tell you that you already are on the road to failure because you can't possibly provide any kind of useful content for that many products.
                    Well at least you are honest with regard to such large oscommerce sites. I had about 50 of them just totally wiped with this latest update. As in income made zero. My own fault maybe but the sites were very useful with regard to visitors finding the products they needed to find. Not useful in Google's blinkered eyes though. Technically a masterpiece with all sites auto updating. Ton of work wiped out just like that.

                    I fecking hate being dictated to which is what Google is doing all the time. I refuse to play by their rules and will find some other way to make money be it from ppc or whatever but spending my time writing made up crap just to make a page interesting isn't where I want to go. Wasting my time probably but I would rather keep my pride than pander to this despot.

                    Feel better for the above outburst .
                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087545].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author GGpaul
                      Originally Posted by Mkj View Post

                      Well at least you are honest with regard to such large oscommerce sites. I had about 50 of them just totally wiped with this latest update. As in income made zero. My own fault maybe but the sites were very useful with regard to visitors finding the products they needed to find. Not useful in Google's blinkered eyes though. Technically a masterpiece with all sites auto updating. Ton of work wiped out just like that.

                      I fecking hate being dictated to which is what Google is doing all the time. I refuse to play by their rules and will find some other way to make money be it from ppc or whatever but spending my time writing made up crap just to make a page interesting isn't where I want to go. Wasting my time probably but I would rather keep my pride than pander to this despot.


                      Feel better for the above outburst .
                      Damn bro you okay? Maybe you need to relax and grab a cup of tea.
                      http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-...-everyone.html
                      Signature

                      RIP Dad Oct 14 1954 - Mar 14 2015.

                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087570].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
                      Originally Posted by Mkj View Post

                      the sites were very useful with regard to visitors finding the products they needed to find. Not useful in Google's blinkered eyes though.
                      As a typical user, if I search for the Panasonic X5400AB television, I'd prefer finding Amazon or Wal-Mart or Best Buy on page one rather than your oscommerce site, especially if your site offers no additional value and then just directs me to those sites anyway via an affiliate link.

                      Google agrees. This is why you were wiped out.

                      My sites, which index and rank in minutes (and maintain those rankings many months later) provide information that the other sites do not.

                      There is your free information.
                      Signature
                      Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
                      CLICK HERE FOR INFO
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087583].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Mkj
                        Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

                        As a typical user, if I search for the Panasonic X5400AB television, I'd prefer finding Amazon or Wal-Mart or Best Buy on page one rather than your oscommerce site, especially if your site offers no additional value and then just directs me to those sites anyway via an affiliate link.

                        Google agrees. This is why you were wiped out.

                        My sites, which index and rank in minutes (and maintain those rankings many months later) provide information that the other sites do not.

                        There is your free information.
                        Marvellous free info. Thanks for that. If only I knew such valuable info before hand. I see so every bugger who wants to buy a tv should only shop at Amazon or Wallmart?

                        You know I am reading a good book at the moment about the rise of Germany around the year 1938. Their way was the only way as far as they were concerned. I can't help drawing a comparison between the damn book and Google. Google as in representing Germany. Does anyone else get this feeling that maybe we are being totally dictated to?
                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087666].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
                          Originally Posted by Mkj View Post

                          I see so every bugger who wants to buy a tv should only shop at Amazon or Wallmart?
                          They were only examples. My point is that unless your site provides something more than just a link to whatever affiliate program you are promoting, it's a useless site. Sorry. Just is.

                          Stop thinking like a marketer and more like a consumer.

                          As a consumer, why would YOU rather find YOUR site in the SERPs when searching for a Panasonic TV instead of a site like Amazon or Wal-Mart, especially if your site simply shows the same info that they show?

                          Since you already know everything, why are you here complaining about your site being tanked?:rolleyes:

                          Oh, and nobody is dictating anything to anyone. As a matter of fact, Google has specifically asked you NOT to write for bots and to write for humans instead.
                          Signature
                          Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
                          CLICK HERE FOR INFO
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087853].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author Nelapsi
                          Originally Posted by Mkj View Post

                          Marvellous free info. Thanks for that. If only I knew such valuable info before hand. I see so every bugger who wants to buy a tv should only shop at Amazon or Wallmart?
                          I don't think he was stating what people should or shouldn't do he was merely expressing the habits of shoppers. I think thats critical to everything, understanding the habits and nature of your audience can help you offer them what want to see and perhaps lead to business. If you take the stance of what you think is what's more important yes you will be able to say you stood your ground but did you make any money doing it? Up to you which is more important or why you are doing this, only you can answer that.
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087874].message }}
                          • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
                            Originally Posted by Nelapsi View Post

                            If you take the stance of what you think is what's more important yes you will be able to say you stood your ground but did you make any money doing it?
                            Awesome statement. Too many people would rather "stand their ground" than just conform. And that's fine. Just understand the consequences, which usually involve making no money.
                            Signature
                            Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
                            CLICK HERE FOR INFO
                            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087885].message }}
                            • Profile picture of the author Mkj
                              Originally Posted by wolfmmiii View Post

                              They were only examples. My point is that unless your site provides something more than just a link to whatever affiliate program you are promoting, it's a useless site. Sorry. Just is.
                              You ever heard of freedom of choice? As in if you want a 42 inch plasma tv for instance you want to see a range of companies flogging such? Why the hell should only Amazon and Wallmart show in the search results? Why should an ecommerce site only show these 2 giants? So what you are saying is if you want to buy something - anything - all you are going to get in the Google search results are the major players websites. When I say that I mean their websites will dominate and you are going to get multiple results by the same company. This is happening as we post. All alternative websites apart from the really big players are being systematically removed from search results. I hate this and I am not the only one.

                              When I search for a particular make of tv (sticking with tvs as an example) I want to see a full range. Amazon and Wallmart at the top of the search is fine but underneath I want alternatives. Where the hell are they now? Multiple results by the same companies over and over. Just damn well annoying never mind anything to do with my websites.

                              You are right. Of course you are. You have to conform. Just pisses me off to do so. I would rather make jack **** than sell my soul to the Google devil. Or go get a job - which is just as bad in my book. F*** Google!
                              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087950].message }}
                              • Profile picture of the author Nelapsi
                                Originally Posted by Mkj View Post

                                You are right. Of course you are. You have to conform. Just pisses me off to do so. I would rather make jack **** than sell my soul to the Google devil. Or go get a job - which is just as bad in my book. F*** Google!
                                And that's why they have Bing...

                                Seriously though maybe you missed what he said, unless you are offering something different then what Walmart and such is.. why would users choose your site over an established brand? That's what you need to solve in order for you to be successful. I had this very same problem with photoshop textures, do you know how many photoshop texture sites there are? I think a new one pops up every hour it gets so bad but they are all rehashed garbage. So I had to find a way to stand out from those sites in order to be successful. This is exactly what you need to figure out and then do.
                                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087991].message }}
                                • Profile picture of the author Mkj
                                  Originally Posted by Nelapsi View Post

                                  And that's why they have Bing...

                                  Seriously though maybe you missed what he said, unless you are offering something different then what Walmart and such is.. why would users choose your site over an established brand? That's what you need to solve in order for you to be successful. I had this very same problem with photoshop textures, do you know how many photoshop texture sites there are? I think a new one pops up every hour it gets so bad but they are all rehashed garbage. So I had to find a way to stand out from those sites in order to be successful. This is exactly what you need to figure out and then do.
                                  Nah. Never seen it like that. An affiliate site is all about redirecting traffic to a company selling the product. The sooner the better. You think visitors take the time to read a load of nonsense about a particular product before shooting off to the site that actually sells the product directly? They can read that stuff when they get there. An oscommerce site just gives them a taster and a range of price and company alternatives. This approach has worked perfectly uptil now. It is only Google that has altered this natural site visitor approach with regard to oscommerce sites. Google damn well hates oscommerce sites and more or less always has done.
                                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7088041].message }}
                                • Profile picture of the author paulgl
                                  Yeah. Like bing won't show amazon...

                                  Seriously....if you are looking to buy a 42 inch plasma TV,
                                  online, and that's what any search engine thinks, hmmmm...

                                  Where on earth are they going to take you? To the biggest,
                                  baddest retailers with the biggest selection? No? Well
                                  then where?
                                  Madman Muntz?

                                  Paul
                                  Signature

                                  If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

                                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7088057].message }}
                                • Profile picture of the author yukon
                                  Banned
                                  Originally Posted by Nelapsi View Post

                                  And that's why they have Bing...

                                  Seriously though maybe you missed what he said, unless you are offering something different then what Walmart and such is.. why would users choose your site over an established brand? That's what you need to solve in order for you to be successful. I had this very same problem with photoshop textures, do you know how many photoshop texture sites there are? I think a new one pops up every hour it gets so bad but they are all rehashed garbage. So I had to find a way to stand out from those sites in order to be successful. This is exactly what you need to figure out and then do.
                                  A lot of people don't get that "stand out" & the reason they don't get it is because it can't be bought, they have to get off their ass & create something that traffic wants/needs.

                                  ***********************

                                  A person saying well I built 50 sites, isn't that good enough? No it's not good enough, because 50 affiliate sites are crap no matter how much they try BSing everyone into believing they had a worthwhile site. How do I know the sites are crap? Simple! If a site is useful, a Google slap won't stop the site from earning money, a slap might slow the site down, but it doesn't kill all the traffic.

                                  If Google SERPs stopped existing today, I could easily find my way to Amazon, Walmart, Ebay, even Warrior Forum. Why? Because they're brands, not some crap site that has no purpose & the only repeat traffic is the webmaster (lmao).
                                  Signature
                                  Hi
                                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7088125].message }}
                              • Profile picture of the author wolfmmiii
                                Originally Posted by Mkj View Post


                                When I search for a particular make of tv (sticking with tvs as an example) I want to see a full range. Amazon and Wallmart at the top of the search is fine but underneath I want alternatives.
                                If all your site offers is scraped content from Amazon or Wal-Mart, your site isn't an alternative! That's the point! It's just regurgitating, word for word, what the big guys are saying.

                                I'm not sure if you are being intentionally obtuse or if you really are that far gone and don't understand.

                                Now, if your site offers unique comparisons, your own professional take on the products, feature explanations, etc that Amazon does not provide, then you have a point. That said, I don't think that's what we are talking about, are we?
                                Signature
                                Want a REAL Online Business That's Fun to Run?
                                CLICK HERE FOR INFO
                                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7088206].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Nelapsi
                  Originally Posted by Mkj View Post

                  Ok I want to setup a site for tvs with 10000 products acquired via a database download. How do I rank for the site and each page with products on?

                  Shoot!
                  The irony of this.. I am actually raiding some information right now for developing content for 37k database entries.

                  It really depends on how you do it really, I have already been floating around a few ideas in my head I think it is very possible. Granted it is already taking some custom coding on my part to make possible but just the idea of doing it is worth the effort.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087535].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Nelapsi
              Originally Posted by Mkj View Post

              Ok. How much is it going to cost me to find out this all important knowledge you know? Free is it?
              I have learned pretty much everything I know from Google searches and testing different things out myself. To date I have asked one question on this forum and I am still not sure if I got the right answer.. *laughs*
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7087518].message }}

Trending Topics