How to Check if i was hit by penguin or panda

26 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi Guys
For about a week now, my blog traffic has seriously reduced from about 5k+ daily pageviews to 600 pageviews daily, i check my webmaster this morning and found out the google search impression has been reduced from normally 4500+ to 1000, don't really know whats happening, i don't know how to bounce back, and my blog is pr3 for the record
The Tech Journal - Tech, Blogging tips, Seo, Social Media And Gadgets
Thanks guys
#check #hit #panda #penguin
  • Profile picture of the author slimderek
    And my blog is on wordpress and i;m using the Genesis seo settings
    Signature
    http://techjay.com
    Great Blogging Tips
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7402998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sdlive
    whats your analytics stats like? show screen shot. tnx
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403007].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sdlive
    one thing, u have adsense banner uptop.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403011].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sdlive
    that frame could be messing u up
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403014].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author slimderek
      Analytics stats for last week
      Signature
      http://techjay.com
      Great Blogging Tips
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403058].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author slimderek
      Originally Posted by sdlive View Post

      that frame could be messing u up
      OH thanks, lemme remove that asap
      think that cud affect seo?
      Signature
      http://techjay.com
      Great Blogging Tips
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403061].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author slimderek
    And i just checked blocked urls on webmaster tools
    here's what i found
    Signature
    http://techjay.com
    Great Blogging Tips
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IM Ash
    Did you enable Attracta SEO recently? I have heard some horror stories about that service!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403131].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author slimderek
      Originally Posted by IM Ash View Post

      Did you enable Attracta SEO recently? I have heard some horror stories about that service!
      Yes i've been using attracta ever since i moved on to wordpress.
      It came with my host
      Signature
      http://techjay.com
      Great Blogging Tips
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403134].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IM Ash
    Don't know enough about Attracta to help you but here is a thread I found that may help: Google Groups

    Also those 49 URLs that are blocked is probably where the problem lies.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403152].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author aygabtu
      Have you been keeping an eye on your SERP results? If you saw a big drop in your SERPs for multiple keywords that would tell you that google has an issue with your site.
      Signature

      Check top 300 Google SERP results free. WhatsMySERP.com tracks and graphs changes for multiple domains/keywords/regions. Also includes advanced keyword density tool.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403169].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author slimderek
        Originally Posted by aygabtu View Post

        Have you been keeping an eye on your SERP results? If you saw a big drop in your SERPs for multiple keywords that would tell you that google has an issue with your site.
        how to check that?
        Signature
        http://techjay.com
        Great Blogging Tips
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403224].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Technoduce
    Simple you will lose your ranking in the SERP.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403631].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rohits
    what you do work in seo.............
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403662].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pasik
    Originally Posted by slimderek View Post

    Hi Guys
    For about a week now, my blog traffic has seriously reduced from about 5k+ daily pageviews to 600 pageviews daily, i check my webmaster this morning and found out the google search impression has been reduced from normally 4500+ to 1000, don't really know whats happening, i don't know how to bounce back, and my blog is pr3 for the record
    The Tech Journal - Tech, Blogging tips, Seo, Social Media And Gadgets
    Thanks guys
    Last Panda update was on Nov 6th and Penguin on Oct 5th so either one of them can't be the cause of your reduced visitors.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7403664].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author slimderek
    Hi Guys
    I think Google Ads above content update hit the blog, i had 2 many ads abov the content b4, i've removed them and i'm waiting till Google updates it again.
    But still i need ur suggestions on what to do
    Signature
    http://techjay.com
    Great Blogging Tips
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7404623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    If you are not tracking your rankings, there is not really anyway to know if you were hit by anything. Could just be slower search volume this week.

    You should also check your traffic sources. Is it really search traffic that dropped off or were you getting an influx of traffic from another source or soources that disappeared?

    To answer your original question though...

    If your content sucks, it was Panda.
    If your links suck, it was Penguin.
    Signature
    Get the TIPS and STRATEGIES I use to HELP businesses GROW through SEO.
    Delivered to you each week!

    >>> Sign Up Now <<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7404652].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pasik
      Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

      If you are not tracking your rankings, there is not really anyway to know if you were hit by anything. Could just be slower search volume this week.

      You should also check your traffic sources. Is it really search traffic that dropped off or were you getting an influx of traffic from another source or soources that disappeared?

      To answer your original question though...

      If your content sucks, it was Panda.
      If your links suck, it was Penguin.
      I have understood that Panda and Penguin are filters that are run periodically.

      Op said that his traffic and rankings dropped about a week ago. There wasn't any official Panda or Penguin update then so either one of them can't be the cause.

      Or am I missing something here...?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7404840].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author slimderek
    Neither my content nor links suck....
    And yes my keywords are much lower on serp now.
    Signature
    http://techjay.com
    Great Blogging Tips
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7404708].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    Well, the 49 blocked URLs is probably an issue.

    Also, how long were you ranking for? A few weeks, months, years?
    Signature
    Get the TIPS and STRATEGIES I use to HELP businesses GROW through SEO.
    Delivered to you each week!

    >>> Sign Up Now <<<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7404730].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author slimderek
      Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

      Well, the 49 blocked URLs is probably an issue.

      Also, how long were you ranking for? A few weeks, months, years?
      The blog is about 7 months old now
      and its been ranking high for about 5 months now.
      Signature
      http://techjay.com
      Great Blogging Tips
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7405761].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
        Originally Posted by pasik View Post

        I have understood that Panda and Penguin are filters that are run periodically.

        Op said that his traffic and rankings dropped about a week ago. There wasn't any official Panda or Penguin update then so either one of them can't be the cause.

        Or am I missing something here...?
        Yes, you are missing the fact that I was answering the title of the thread.

        Originally Posted by slimderek View Post

        The blog is about 7 months old now
        and its been ranking high for about 5 months now.
        And is definitely search traffic that was lost?

        Looking at your traffic numbers, depending what keywords you are targeting, that could literally be just 1-2 keywords dropping a few spots.

        For example, a term that gets say 5000 searches a month, will probably deliver about 2200-2400 visitors. If you drop down just 2 spots to #3, you will probably see more like 300 visitors.
        Signature
        Get the TIPS and STRATEGIES I use to HELP businesses GROW through SEO.
        Delivered to you each week!

        >>> Sign Up Now <<<
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7405933].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author slimderek
    In a day i get up to 10 google search, thats too low even for a blog with 10 articles
    Signature
    http://techjay.com
    Great Blogging Tips
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7408445].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trustumar
    Mine is also affected on Nov 16 and Nov 26. Others are also mentioning about it on webmasterworld forum.
    Signature

    Coming Soon!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7408701].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7408726].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wilsonbar
    if your search traffic drops down then 100% google penalized you a new update, if you have that condition then you have to change your content and site audit..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7408758].message }}

Trending Topics