Post Penguin Question - How does Google know what my keywords are if i cant use them as anchor text

19 replies
  • SEO
  • |
This has been concerning me for a little while after the last Penguin update but now knowing we should mix backlink anchors with naked urls etc and not use our main keywords (some say at all) , my question to one and all is how does Google know what keywords Im optimizing for? .Is it still onpage?
#anchor #google #keywords #penguin #post #question #text
  • Profile picture of the author Make Money Ninja
    Basically, they dont "know", all it is is algorithmic filters/penalties.

    For example if you have a high percentage of a certain kw as anchor it looks very unnatural for the most part.

    Without writing a massive article on how they do everything, you basically just need to fit between the lines now. Basically SEO is the same, you just need to be a lot more natural looking and unoptimized. On top of that user experience is becoming more and more important as a ranking factor. So try and actually build sites that get browsed.
    Signature

    The Ultimate Guide To Link Building

    Get More Links - Generate More Traffic - Make More Money!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7573667].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lutherlars
    Just to add:
    If Google can not tell what your site is about by visiting your page, then you have no business even ranking for your keywords.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7573809].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author darrenlc
    Maybe google reads your page and takes a wild guess.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7574156].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author STLSEO
    Originally Posted by smartbrain View Post

    This has been concerning me for a little while after the last Penguin update but now knowing we should mix backlink anchors with naked urls etc and not use our main keywords (some say at all) , my question to one and all is how does Google know what keywords Im optimizing for? .Is it still onpage?
    It's all about the content and keywords surrounding your brand/company name, as well as the outbound links within that content.

    For example:

    jkfdljsaklfjdaskfjdkasjfkdsaljfk"KEYWORD"jfkldsajklfjdasklfjkdsal;"BRAND NAME"hjfkdahsjkfhdasjklfhdjkaslhfjkashfjdlashjfkdhasjk fhjsaklfhjdksalfhklashfjkdaskfdlhadfhsjkldahsfhjkd lsakjfhdljdfl"KEYWORD"fdjaklfjaljfdklas;fjdkla;sfjkdaslfjkdkafjkld;ajkl as;jfkldaj"BRAND NAME"jkjfkdsla;jklfdjsaklfjdklas;fjdklas;fjdksal;fjdka ls;fjdksal;fjdasfdasklfjdals;fjdasl;fjadks;ljfkald sJKFjdklsajkfajklf;djasklfjdkalfjjkfldjaskf;jadksl ;fjkdsa;lfjdkaslfjdkasl;fjkadlsjfkdlas;jfkdlasjf"KEYWORD"dkljfdklajfdklas;fjkdlsa;dkasfjkdl;sjfkdasl;"BRAND NAME"jkfldjaslkfjdaskl;fjdkals;fjkldsa;fjkdakdlf;djaks fjadkls;jfkldas

    It's all about co-citation

    In the words of Rand Fishkin:

    "You can see a lot of articles on the web that mention cell phone ratings and reviews and mention Consumer Reports. They don't necessarily link to this page. In fact, very few of them link to this page. But many of them will do exactly this. If you look at a text snippet on the page, it'll say, "Cell phones as rated by Consumer Reports." This doesn't even link. This is not a live link. It's not even pointing to their website or to that specific web page. But Google is noticing the association. They see the words "cell phone." They see the word "rated," and they see "Consumer Reports." They put two and two together and say, "You know what? It seems like lots of people on the Internet seems to think that Consumer Reports and cell phone ratings go together."


    I hope this helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7574239].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author RealEcon
      Originally Posted by STLSEO View Post

      It's all about the content and keywords surrounding your brand/company name, as well as the outbound links within that content.

      For example:

      jkfdljsaklfjdaskfjdkasjfkdsaljfk"KEYWORD"jfkldsajklfjdasklfjkdsal;"BRAND NAME"hjfkdahsjkfhdasjklfhdjkaslhfjkashfjdlashjfkdhasjk fhjsaklfhjdksalfhklashfjkdaskfdlhadfhsjkldahsfhjkd lsakjfhdljdfl"KEYWORD"fdjaklfjaljfdklas;fjdkla;sfjkdaslfjkdkafjkld;ajkl as;jfkldaj"BRAND NAME"jkjfkdsla;jklfdjsaklfjdklas;fjdklas;fjdksal;fjdka ls;fjdksal;fjdasfdasklfjdals;fjdasl;fjadks;ljfkald sJKFjdklsajkfajklf;djasklfjdkalfjjkfldjaskf;jadksl ;fjkdsa;lfjdkaslfjdkasl;fjkadlsjfkdlas;jfkdlasjf"KEYWORD"dkljfdklajfdklas;fjkdlsa;dkasfjkdl;sjfkdasl;"BRAND NAME"jkfldjaslkfjdaskl;fjdkals;fjkldsa;fjkdakdlf;djaks fjadkls;jfkldas

      It's all about co-citation

      In the words of Rand Fishkin:

      "You can see a lot of articles on the web that mention cell phone ratings and reviews and mention Consumer Reports. They don't necessarily link to this page. In fact, very few of them link to this page. But many of them will do exactly this. If you look at a text snippet on the page, it'll say, "Cell phones as rated by Consumer Reports." This doesn't even link. This is not a live link. It's not even pointing to their website or to that specific web page. But Google is noticing the association. They see the words "cell phone." They see the word "rated," and they see "Consumer Reports." They put two and two together and say, "You know what? It seems like lots of people on the Internet seems to think that Consumer Reports and cell phone ratings go together."


      I hope this helps.
      Its not about co-citation, but Rand was pretty darn close to getting it right. He just got that "co" word confused
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7575597].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author agapril07
    you can still use anchor text...
    Signature


    BEST JUST GOT BETTER! *NEW* BONUS SITES!
    Check it out
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7575562].message }}
  • Google has hired a team of 50,000 workers to manually analyze every website that is created each day.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7575627].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by TheSeoGuy89 View Post

      Google has hired a team of 50,000 workers to manually analyze every website that is created each day.
      What the.......?

      Okay....Thats it. time for me to find a better SEO forum to participate on.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7576066].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author spujap
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        What the.......?

        Okay....Thats it. time for me to find a better SEO forum to participate on.
        I second your thought, Mike!!

        Anchor text for in coming links besides your meta tags. May be a link from with in your website. Then keyword prominence - Page title, content in H1 tag and bold font, starting words of paragraphs/website/post/article . You can put your URL in Google Keywords tool, sort by relevance and check what keywords they think are relevant.

        Having keyword in meta tags is not a concern for getting penalized, rather stuffing them in content and over-optimizing back links for a keyword might get your page penalized. Meta tags is what Google recommends as a way of telling them what is your page about, otherwise there are chances it picks wrong keyword, wrong meta.

        Usually I see starting 1-2 lines of blog posts are picked up as meta description and keywords from it as meta keywords if they are not specified explicitly.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7576154].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulgl
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        What the.......?

        Okay....Thats it. time for me to find a better SEO forum to participate on.
        Oh come now, Mike. Improve the place!

        Anyway, what is funny, is that I've been saying the same thing
        for years. You don't pick your keywords. Google does.

        They used to have some way of checking what they "think" your
        page is about. I forgot where that was. The reason, is that I
        started adsense. Adsense will tell you pretty close as to what they
        think your site is about, give or take a few personal ads tossed in.

        They do look very, very close at the <title> tag. Then certain
        other hints, such as <h1>, <h2> etc., bold/strong words, and,
        believe it or not, the first sentence highest up on the page.
        That has been how I have been able to laser target ads.
        Don't think that the adsense bot is just being used for adsense.
        Google has a plethora of bots that they can glean info from.

        They don't bother, IMHO, looking at the rest of the garbage. But
        people come up with all sorts of BS like keyword density, etc.
        They are not going to ever wade through some BS article, no
        matter how friggin unique and fantastic you think your crap is.

        Google is a just a stupid algo. But they do a pretty dang good
        job for the majority of searches.

        Paul
        Signature

        If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7576900].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
          Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

          Oh come now, Mike. Improve the place!
          Impossible. Between posts just for sig attention, anchor text link spammers and people who swear they know a lick of SEO and don't less than 10% of threads and posts offer anything of any substance.

          After Penguin nuked crappy link building you would think that people would at least admit that profile links no longer work but you still see people pushing even that

          I'd rather sign up to grow apples in the Sahara. Since you are such a true believer I can get you an acre for a sweet price. Great investment opportunity.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577601].message }}
      • Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        What the.......?

        Okay....Thats it. time for me to find a better SEO forum to participate on.

        Sigh... I guess nobody gets my sarcasm
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577494].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
          Originally Posted by TheSeoGuy89 View Post

          Sigh... I guess nobody gets my sarcasm


          Perhaps ......so the sarcasm thing applies to your sig too right?
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7577571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LiftMyRank
    If you have enough domain authority you'll naturally rank for keywords present on your page..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7576745].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davidtye
    You might find this blog article of use:

    How to Beat Google Penguins and Pandas: SEO 2012 and Onward

    Worth a read.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7576883].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ronorr
    I say why not just try the different variations in the long tail with your keywords still in there and vary it up it just seems like with all of the updates why not just be diversified into the future.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7576895].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Simin
    Originally Posted by smartbrain View Post

    Post Penguin Question - How does Google know what my keywords are if i cant use them as anchor text
    Google is the God of internet.. they hire mostly the highest GPA graduated student in all over universe...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7578245].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jasonbrien
    In my opinion too, Google do the priority to anchor texts but their second priority are the meta tags through which they understand what your web page is about.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7578278].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author minimalseo
    Read up on LSI keywords mate...think of thematic phrases that are relevant, inter-related and would unavoidably form a part of any discussion as the one on your site...and not stand alone keywords. Hope that helps.
    Signature

    "Be water, my friend" - Bruce Lee

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7578344].message }}

Trending Topics