Warriors will Google penalize my site doing this on home page ?

17 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hello Warriors I have one question I have a site in weight loss niche it has over 20 pages so from home page I linked with anchor to other pages as well so what I want to do is to remove underline and change anchor text color from blue to black so it will match with the content but readers will not know that there is the link until they click on it, so I need advice I need to know removing underline and changing anchor text color is this against Google rules ???
As I said I am not doing anything just removing underline and changing anchor color from blue to black.
#google #home #page #penalize #site #warriors
  • Profile picture of the author Sandakelum
    I don't think it'll be a problem, but do you think people will click on those links when they can't see it's a link?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7720205].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author LloydMS
    You won't have any issues with Google, but you'll probably decrease the number of clicks on those links since it looks like people won't be able to tell that they are a link.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7720559].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Theeban
    I really do not think that this will be an issue. However, I guess, these may do changes in your current SERP
    Signature
    For TOP Ranks in Search Engines - Hire skilled expert in SEO. Check expanded services to Cheltenham
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7720571].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sue McDonald
    I don't think you will have a problem but cannot see why you would want to do that. It will decrease the amount of clicks you get and that will result in less people seeing what you are offering.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7720579].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author run
    Google bots/spiders are not that clever to see it blue or red, but they could determine it is a link by html "a" tag. Like html "h" tags, you could style it and make it to look like your normal html "p" tag, but it is still the heading in Google bots/spiders eyes.

    This would not affect with Google but I'm sure the average time visitors stay on the site and page views will be decrease. I doubt that it is not affect with Google but with real human visitors.
    Signature
    I just wanna tell you that most of the links in the signature are trash and/or a trap to make you pay!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7720668].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JoshuaReen
    you can style it using the CSS code. its very easy. just google it and you will find tons of tutorial websites to do that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7720772].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kaytav
    This won't cause a problem to your site. Also making the link invisible might get you less traffic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7721593].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Grensin14
    Honestly I am not sure about that but Google said hidden text and links is a violation of Google’s Webmaster Guidelines as you said removing underline and changing anchor from blue to black I am not sure is this violate Google guidance but you can check it here Hidden text and links - Webmaster Tools Help
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7727804].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      Hard to say if it's a masking, as it is internal links.

      There is no reason to do such silliness. It serves no purpose.
      You WANT people to click to view your site's content.
      Having links to other pages, on each page, complete
      with PROPER anchor text, is exactly what you want.

      You are just being silly about anchor text. You obviously
      heard a guy who knew a guy who completely misquoted
      google on anchor text.

      Why not just have an image or javascript based navigation
      bar or menu? Done and done.

      I cannot believe some of the stuff people come up with.

      You can't make this up on your own unless you are reading
      some misinformation.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7727829].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author radivoj
    YES this can trigger a Google Penalty, anything hidden from the human visitor but visible to the robots is asking for a Google penalty. So don't put colored text or links on backgrounds of the same color as the content "black" without a doubt Google spider can recognize if anchor text color is blue or black it can get you in the trouble getting a Google penalty, the search engine robots become more advanced every day when it comes to the types of files they’re able to crawl and understand...you can remove underline but keep the same anchor text, Matt Cutts has also confirmed about that... it's against Google guidance
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7727896].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Grensin14
      I think he's right what he said...


      Originally Posted by radivoj View Post

      YES this can trigger a Google Penalty, anything hidden from the human visitor but visible to the robots is asking for a Google penalty. So don't put colored text or links on backgrounds of the same color as the content "black" without a doubt Google spider can recognize if anchor text color is blue or black it can get you in the trouble getting a Google penalty, the search engine robots become more advanced every day when it comes to the types of files they're able to crawl and understand...you can remove underline but keep the same anchor text, Matt Cutts has also confirmed about that... it's against Google guidance
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7728186].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by radivoj View Post

      YES this can trigger a Google Penalty, anything hidden from the human visitor but visible to the robots is asking for a Google penalty.
      That's not true. There's plenty of legit reasons to hide text on a page, even Wikipedia hides links/text that will usually only be found be search bots.

      Example hidden links/text on Wikipedia (screenshot below), scroll to the bottom of the wiki page, click the show/hide link.

      Yes, those hidden Wikipedia links show up in the Google Cache (text version) where it matters.

      BTW, before anyone says it. Wikipedia isn't magical.

      [edit]
      I'm not suggesting to hide links just because you can, be smart about it.



      Hidden Links/Text


      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7728254].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author innovative9999
        Originally Posted by yukon View Post

        That's not true. There's plenty of legit reasons to hide text on a page, even Wikipedia hides links/text that will usually only be found be search bots.

        Example hidden links/text on Wikipedia (screenshot below), scroll to the bottom of the wiki page, click the show/hide link.

        Yes, those hidden Wikipedia links show up in the Google Cache (text version) where it matters.

        BTW, before anyone says it. Wikipedia isn't magical.

        [edit]
        I'm not suggesting to hide links just because you can, be smart about it.

        It is really a valuable info all the information you given for user so nice keep it up!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7728708].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Svetislav View Post

    Hello Warriors I have one question I have a site in weight loss niche it has over 20 pages so from home page I linked with anchor to other pages as well so what I want to do is to remove underline and change anchor text color from blue to black so it will match with the content but readers will not know that there is the link until they click on it, so I need advice I need to know removing underline and changing anchor text color is this against Google rules ???
    As I said I am not doing anything just removing underline and changing anchor color from blue to black.

    Your editing CSS, no big deal. You might want to keep it confined to a single div ID instead of the entire page (header, sidebar, footer, etc...). Obviously keep the anchor-text relevant to the niche, no viagra links on a recipe site, lol.

    Not sure why you want to hide links from traffic, I guess you have your reasons.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7728215].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author radivoj
    Yes but big difference is that Wikipedia has thousands of pages and huge authority in Google eye compared to affiliate site with 20-40 pages with PR 1-3 when Google update their algorithm most likely that affiliate site will sink in the ranking even for single think that violating Google guidance...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7728479].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by radivoj View Post

      Yes but big difference is that Wikipedia has thousands of pages and huge authority in Google eye compared to affiliate site with 20-40 pages with PR 1-3 when Google update their algorithm most likely that affiliate site will sink in the ranking even for single think that violating Google guidance...

      There's the magic I was talking about earlier.

      I think what holds most people back on this forum is they think large sites (ex: Wikipedia) have some kind of mystical power (they don't). Authority in SEO is created. If you never start doing what the big sites do, you'll never have more than what you already have.

      Again, I'm in no way telling anyone to go hide text, just that there's sometimes legit reasons. If they have a legit reason, be smart about it.

      The majority of blogs have sliders which is an example of hidden content. Tabs are hidden content. Nav. links that are created with javascript is hiding links, no big deal If it's not spammy.

      Your suggesting that Google will slap any site that hides text, which isn't true. Now If they go spamming out the site/page with things like having the text color & background color the same, well, that's just silly stuff.
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7728634].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author challanger
    Internal links are there to support your site authority and traffic controller. as well as it helps in many other cases...

    So dont hide them.. if they look odd than do some other kind of changes.. but don't hide them from your visitors....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7728485].message }}

Trending Topics