Is EzineArtilcles DEAD? Maybe not but it could KILL your site...

by Leiif
41 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hello,

I am doing a bit of research on a very important few questions and came across a thread - HERE - by a respected internet marketer. It got some sparks flying but didn't answer my questions.

Well that was almost what I was looking for. Still hunting but close. I quit submitting to EZA some time ago but have an issue that I believe is directly related to that "some time ago". With Googles updates EZA has lost a significant amount of traffic. So be it.

Why does someone lose traffic? Because they are considered to be of less quality? Most likely. EZA is one of the few places I actually got links from for the site in question. I know, not its intention. It worked for a while. I even tried some tricks at EZA which worked. This was almost 2 years ago.

The issue now is, for me and many of you hit by the zoo that used EZA, are those links behind the dreaded unnatural link penalty? I need facts if anyone has any. I suspect that EZA links are not only useless but can be the reason some can't get their sites back in Google's favor. Some are hanging on to those links in the belief they are still O.K..

1) Did anyone remove their links/articles and then actually get reconsidered?

2) Has anyone hung on to the links and reclimbed the SERPs?

These are the questions that need answering. If the links do hurt then I wouldn't syndicate too often to a MFA or link scheme site or you might shoot yourself in the foot.

Let's get this ramped up again.

Best,
Leiif
#dead #ezineartilcles #google #kill #link penalty #penalty #site
  • Profile picture of the author CTRTheme
    Banned
    Can I know more about google zoo update?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7767862].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author pasik
      Originally Posted by CTRTheme View Post

      Can I know more about google zoo update?
      He's referring to Panda and Penguin.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7767958].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Leiif
        Originally Posted by pasik View Post

        He's referring to Panda and Penguin.
        pasik was right.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7768505].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tech84
      Originally Posted by CTRTheme View Post

      Can I know more about google zoo update?
      Lol.



      Signature

      Insert Sig here for ***** Moolahs ,,I,,

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7767968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ilee
    Originally Posted by Leiif View Post

    These are the questions that need answering. If the links do hurt then I wouldn't syndicate too often to a MFA or link scheme site or you might shoot yourself in the foot.
    I haven't really had any problems with any of my sites sporting ezine links. I think for the most part, people are getting done because they're linking to rubbish MFA sites. Usually these people have followed a course or WSO they found telling them to write 5 articles for the website, install a specific theme with a specific layout, and then write 1 article a week on ezine.

    I don't think the Ezine articles hurt the site.
    Signature
    --~***~--


    --~***~--
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7767992].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Leiif
      Originally Posted by ichl13 View Post

      I haven't really had any problems with any of my sites sporting ezine links. I think for the most part, people are getting done because they're linking to rubbish MFA sites. Usually these people have followed a course or WSO they found telling them to write 5 articles for the website, install a specific theme with a specific layout, and then write 1 article a week on ezine.

      I don't think the Ezine articles hurt the site.
      "Think" isn't what we need, its data. How many EZA articles point at one site? 30, 50, 90 those are actual numbers on 3 dead sites. 2 with link warnings. The site with 30 has 15 pages, the site with 50 is an authority site with near 100 pages and the site with 90 has a bit over 20 pages.

      What are your data points?

      Leiif
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7768137].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ilee
        Originally Posted by Leiif View Post

        "Think" isn't what we need, its data. How many EZA articles point at one site? 30, 50, 90 those are actual numbers on 3 dead sites. 2 with link warnings. The site with 30 has 15 pages, the site with 50 is an authority site with near 100 pages and the site with 90 has a bit over 20 pages.

        What are your data points?

        Leiif
        My money makers have about 300+ posts each, with maybe 10-40 ezine articles pointing to each of them. The sites that I've had tank over this year have around 20-50 articles each, maybe around 5-10 ezine articles, but I think is due to other experimental backlinking I've done on them.

        Mind you, I haven't used ezine in ages and the existing articles are ones I did 6+ months ago. But once again, these "data points" don't mean anything because each site will have different backlink profiles, it could just be that mine dilutes these links enough to not get hurt.
        Signature
        --~***~--


        --~***~--
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7768565].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author workoutstuff1
        Originally Posted by Leiif View Post

        "Think" isn't what we need, its data. How many EZA articles point at one site? 30, 50, 90 those are actual numbers on 3 dead sites. 2 with link warnings. The site with 30 has 15 pages, the site with 50 is an authority site with near 100 pages and the site with 90 has a bit over 20 pages.

        What are your data points?

        Leiif
        You do have a point. There is a lot being said about this, but it would be nice to get some hard data to look at.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7770154].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Leiif
          Originally Posted by workoutstuff1 View Post

          You do have a point. There is a lot being said about this, but it would be nice to get some hard data to look at.
          I actually received the link from someone that actually got a link where a real Google employee lists EZA as a site considered spam - HERE

          That is the closest I have come to actual info from Google. Very hard to dig this stuff up. Thank goodness to a Squidoo Lens I found. I had to contact the writer and they were helpful. Thank goodness he was sharing his info.

          I would still like to see someone actually post something with data about my 2 questions.

          1) Did anyone remove their links/articles and then actually get reconsidered?

          2) Has anyone hung on to the links and reclimbed the SERPs?

          On a side-note. In my travels I saw someone that did get reconsidered and the reason they were penalized was because of an old page they never actually finished that had a title on the page that said "Link Exchange". They never actually filled the page in and it had been on the site for years with nothing more than the title on the page. After previous attempts to reconsider were declined this time after that one page being removed they were reincluded in the SERPs.

          Best,
          Leiif
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7770653].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SEO Haven
    If it's good, unique, relevant content (on EZine) pointing to good, original, relevant content (your site) then surely that's not a bad thing and won't harm your rankings.

    There are many factors at play here. To say that because article directories that got hit, -Google will automatically penalize all sites who made use of their sites is ridiculous.

    I don't use Ezine anymore either to be honest, but there are people out there still driving quite a bit of traffic from their old articles out there. As for the SEO side of things, that all depends on quality, originality and relevancy of both the Ezine article and the site that the outgoing link points to (i said that already, didn't I).

    It also depends on whether you have 100 Ezine articles, -great or not, using the same anchor texts for all. Too many factors at play, so not gonna go into detail.

    If you know what you're doing, article networks can still be of benefit. Not as great as they used to be, that much is true, but not completely useless as some people would want you believe
    Signature
    All-In-One SEO & Marketing Service
    If you want the upper hand over your competitors, here's your chance.
    SEO, SMM, Google Local Optimization & Professional Internet Marketing done-for-you.
    Never worry about Traffic & Lead Generation again! Click Here for more info.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7768325].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Leiif
      Originally Posted by SEO Haven View Post

      If it's good, unique, relevant content (on EZine) pointing to good, original, relevant content (your site) then surely that's not a bad thing and won't harm your rankings.

      There are many factors at play here. To say that because article directories that got hit, -Google will automatically penalize all sites who made use of their sites is ridiculous.

      I don't use Ezine anymore either to be honest, but there are people out there still driving quite a bit of traffic from their old articles out there. As for the SEO side of things, that all depends on quality, originality and relevancy of both the Ezine article and the site that the outgoing link points to (i said that already, didn't I).

      It also depends on whether you have 100 Ezine articles, -great or not, using the same anchor texts for all. Too many factors at play, so not gonna go into detail.

      If you know what you're doing, article networks can still be of benefit. Not as great as they used to be, that much is true, but not completely useless as some people would want you believe
      If someone only has some bookmarks from the better bookmark sites (think top 30 or less) and then a bunch of EZA links and they got a notification of bad links it points to one or the other being labeled a bad neighborhood.

      Not one of your statements (especially highlighted areas) is supported by facts. I am looking for facts. Please refer to the original 2 questions. I have no proof from my sites as there are other factors but the backlinks are of a concern.

      Best,
      Leiif
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7768499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trade4861
    There is no way Ezinearticles affected your rankings. They may have lost a ton of visitors after Panda, but I wouldn’t say they were penalized either. They just had tons of advertising fluff and low quality content devalued. Just like thousands of other websites that were not article directories. Still say there worth submitting an article to, even for SEO purposes. Granted their may be some article directories that are worthless but Ezine is not one of them...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7768756].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Leiif
      Originally Posted by trade4861 View Post

      There is no way Ezinearticles affected your rankings. They may have lost a ton of visitors after Panda, but I wouldn’t say they were penalized either. They just had tons of advertising fluff and low quality content devalued. Just like thousands of other websites that were not article directories. Still say there worth submitting an article to, even for SEO purposes. Granted their may be some article directories that are worthless but Ezine is not one of them...
      What proof or statistics do you have? Please see this INFO taking some heat there too. According to that thread you are entirely mistaken. Facts folks facts, not what makes you comfy. What you say matters little to my site or thousands of others.

      Leiif
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769845].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author trade4861
        Originally Posted by Leiif View Post

        What proof or statistics do you have? Please see this INFO taking some heat there too. According to that thread you are entirely mistaken. Facts folks facts, not what makes you comfy. What you say matters little to my site or thousands of others.

        Leiif

        First, I wouldn't dare show any statistics for any of my sites on this website. I'm sure Google hangs out here... looking to penalize sites.

        Since your website is already penalized why not share it and we can see the reason it was penalized. How many links from Ezine do you have? How many links you have in total, how many links have you paid for? How many rules have you broken. To many unanswered questions on your side. Prove your self and your site first. Other wise your just making careless claims
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7770847].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Leiif
          Originally Posted by trade4861 View Post

          First, I wouldn't dare show any statistics for any of my sites on this website. I'm sure Google hangs out here... looking to penalize sites.

          Since your website is already penalized why not share it and we can see the reason it was penalized. How many links from Ezine do you have? How many links you have in total, how many links have you paid for? How many rules have you broken. To many unanswered questions on your side. Prove your self and your site first. Other wise your just making careless claims
          See post #18

          It isn't me making claims. I am seeking answers and took both sides today. Got heat either way but I expected that. 2 of the sites are not mine so can't share those. If I am trying to bring mine back I can't share it for the same reasons you state you won't share yours. Once its out there it will never come back.

          My site is the one with 15 pages and 30 plus articles pointing at it. That is 60 links. I also had about 30 bookmark links and not much else unless the articles were picked up. If you read JohnMu's post and farther down then EZA is a culprit. He said that if the links were dofollow they need to be removed if they are nofollow they should be fine.

          I checked at EZA for an older article and a newer one and they were both dofollow.

          Leiif
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7770897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cash37
    They dont even come up in SERPS anymore, so I'd say most Ezine content has been completely devalued. No penalty, its just not passing any juice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gearmonkey
    A few years ago I installed the EZA wordpress plugin (the plugin created by EZA) that would feed articles from your blog straight to your EZA account. This created duplicate content. I suspect this has caused a negative impact on my blog. I've been too lazy to remove all the articles because I will need to replace each article with a fresh one on my blog.

    Have you used the EZA plugin? SOURCE: Submit Your Articles Directly from WordPress
    Signature

    My Guitar Website | My SEO Blog - Advertising spots available.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7769931].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Leiif
      gearmonkey,

      If you go to the INFO link in my previous post they are indicating you need to remove them from EZA not your site. Just a thought.

      Leiif
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7770096].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gearmonkey
        Originally Posted by Leiif View Post

        gearmonkey,

        If you go to the INFO link in my previous post they are indicating you need to remove them from EZA not your site. Just a thought.

        Leiif
        What about all the duplicates people are using on their websites and web2.0 properties? I believe the damage is already done and the only way to fix it is to remove the post off my blog and replace it with a fresh article on the page.

        That's my plan of action, just haven't done it yet.
        Signature

        My Guitar Website | My SEO Blog - Advertising spots available.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7770112].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author InitialEffort
    There really isn't a reason to be worrying about EZA - you should be worrying if you SAPE right now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7770661].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author gearmonkey
      Originally Posted by InitialEffort View Post

      There really isn't a reason to be worrying about EZA - you should be worrying if you SAPE right now.
      No, he should be worrying about EZA if the links tanked his website. This is an SEO forum and data should be published in regards to his question. I am interested in knowing myself.
      Signature

      My Guitar Website | My SEO Blog - Advertising spots available.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7770670].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sparkah
    Google has been fighting content farms since the beginning.

    Why?

    Google makes money with advertising.

    The only content farm that does well in google is WIKIPEDIA...

    Why?

    no ads.
    Signature

    I'm a writer for Forbes and Fast Company.
    Also, I did this: My deepest darkest SEO SECRETS --- https://youtu.be/vl3tswPLJWM

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7771202].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cash37
      Originally Posted by sparkah View Post

      Google has been fighting content farms since the beginning.

      Why?

      Google makes money with advertising.

      The only content farm that does well in google is WIKIPEDIA...

      Why?

      no ads.
      That big ass donate banner looks like an ad to me
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7782396].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KevL
      Originally Posted by sparkah View Post

      Google has been fighting content farms since the beginning.

      Why?

      Google makes money with advertising.

      The only content farm that does well in google is WIKIPEDIA...

      Why?

      no ads.
      Google has been fighting since the beginning, the ability to fake value. The whole Pagerank system is supposed to allow them to identify value, how does having a thousand backlinks from posting a load of spun PLR articles (for instance) show a real sign of value?

      It's not about "no ads" - there's a MASSIVE difference between an article network which distributes mainly complete crap articles, and distributes link juice at the same time - and wikipedia which provides masses and masses of value in the form of well written (usually), well moderated (usually) content - which flows very little link juice out. The content on wikipedia is NOT there for an ulterior motive, while the content stuck on EZA is there purely with the intent of generating backlinks.
      Signature
      SEO Kev
      Small business SEO / Web Marketing Tips.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7793896].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author korwil
    I don't think EzineArticles would hurt your rankings. I set-up a review website about 3 months ago, submitted articles to 3 directories including Ezine Articles and I ranked first when the product launched.

    Ezine Articles still has a high PR on their root domain so I cannot imagine that Google would slap your website if you linked to them.

    If you have hundreds of articles pointing to one web link that is mostly duplicate content from your website, then there might be a chance you have some issues. However, I think it is a link that boosts authority (maybe not TOO much) rather than hurts it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7782439].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Leiif
      Originally Posted by korwil View Post

      I don't think EzineArticles would hurt your rankings. I set-up a review website about 3 months ago, submitted articles to 3 directories including Ezine Articles and I ranked first when the product launched.

      Ezine Articles still has a high PR on their root domain so I cannot imagine that Google would slap your website if you linked to them.

      If you have hundreds of articles pointing to one web link that is mostly duplicate content from your website, then there might be a chance you have some issues. However, I think it is a link that boosts authority (maybe not TOO much) rather than hurts it.
      How many articles? How competitive was the keyword? PR has less to do with ranking than it used to. Did you go to the links in the posts I posted? Why did JohnMu point out an article from EZA as a spam link?

      I am looking for solid data. 3 experiments in the process right now. It will be a while before I have actual data. Was hoping someone already had some real data. Like:

      I had this many articles pointing to site
      I redirected or no-followed this many links
      My site used to be here in the rankings
      Panda dropped it to here
      After adjustments it is now here

      I think or imagine isn't data. Anyone with data?

      Best,
      Leiif
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7783862].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gearmonkey
    Leiif, great work keeping this thread on track. Are you exploring data outside of WF? Seems the data is limited, not sure why.
    Signature

    My Guitar Website | My SEO Blog - Advertising spots available.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7785126].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Leiif
      Originally Posted by gearmonkey View Post

      Leiif, great work keeping this thread on track. Are you exploring data outside of WF? Seems the data is limited, not sure why.
      Thanks gearmonkey. I am actually watching 3 tests at the current time. Two of them have made good progress on cleaning the links. It is very time consuming and will take some time to get results. That is why I was seeking data not opinions.

      If you have any data or know where to find info from someone that has done testing I would like to see some links.

      Best,
      Leiif
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7793713].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smodha
    EzineArticles.com isn't dead. The crappy content posted on it is.

    PR6 tells me Google is still in love with it.
    Signature
    I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7785661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KevL
    Originally Posted by Leiif View Post

    Hello,

    I am doing a bit of research on a very important few questions and came across a thread - HERE - by a respected internet marketer. It got some sparks flying but didn't answer my questions.

    Well that was almost what I was looking for. Still hunting but close. I quit submitting to EZA some time ago but have an issue that I believe is directly related to that "some time ago". With Googles updates EZA has lost a significant amount of traffic. So be it.

    Why does someone lose traffic? Because they are considered to be of less quality? Most likely. EZA is one of the few places I actually got links from for the site in question. I know, not its intention. It worked for a while. I even tried some tricks at EZA which worked. This was almost 2 years ago.

    The issue now is, for me and many of you hit by the zoo that used EZA, are those links behind the dreaded unnatural link penalty? I need facts if anyone has any. I suspect that EZA links are not only useless but can be the reason some can't get their sites back in Google's favor. Some are hanging on to those links in the belief they are still O.K..

    1) Did anyone remove their links/articles and then actually get reconsidered?

    2) Has anyone hung on to the links and reclimbed the SERPs?

    These are the questions that need answering. If the links do hurt then I wouldn't syndicate too often to a MFA or link scheme site or you might shoot yourself in the foot.

    Let's get this ramped up again.

    Best,
    Leiif

    For me it depends what you mean by "Hit" - when you say "HIT" are you meaning completely deindexed, or do you mean dropped in position?

    There's a difference at least in my head (which is pretty much empty so I may well be wrong!) between being "penalized" - and simply dropping back down the serps to where it would be if it wasn't initially pushed up the serps by juice which no longer flows.

    "Penalized" implies punishment. If a site is de-indexed, then yes it's fair to say it's been penalized, but I see a lot of people saying their website has been penalized, when they just haven't.

    Lets say there's site A & site B, and it's 2008 or something...and they're both very similar in most regards apart from the fact that site A is benefiting from link building from methods which Google don't want to reward but haven't yet found a way to weed out, and site B is focusing on onpage instead of offpage, so site B's real value is continually improving, while site A's is not, but site A's offpage is constantly being improved instead with backlinks using various methods.

    Site B only benefits from onpage, while site A climbs due to the linkjuice flowing to it.

    Site B is actually the site that is being penalized here, because it's actual value is improving constantly, and site A and other sites like it, are able to soar above it in the serps with websites which are of far less actual value to the visitor.

    Lets say that site B gets a handful of real backlinks due to great content and features (real as in the actual kind of backlinks that Google intended to class as a sign of value), but it's only a handful, and site A has WAY more links, but actually doesn't have a single backlink that did not come from backlinking methods, meaning that none of site A's links are a sign of value.

    But then fast forward a few years, and Google have improved their "stuff" (I can't spell algorithms), so they can now weed out all of the links that they class as being to do with "link schemes" of any kind - and now, the juice that was keeping site A way up the serps in comparison with site B, stops, and site A drops down the serps beyond site B - right where it would have been all along if it weren't for the fact that certain methods of backlinking created link juice which previously pushed it up to an artificially high position (artificial meaning that these kinds of links do not actually say anything about the value of the website, and there's no real world reason that these links should actually cause Google to class site A as more valuable than site B) .

    In the above example - you can't class this as being "hit" or "penalised" - in fact, it was site B that was actually being penalised by Google allowing a website which is actually showing less true signs of value, to rise up the serps above it based on the extra perceived value that these backlinks create, which is only perceived value and not actual value.

    It's just the balance being re adjusted...
    Signature
    SEO Kev
    Small business SEO / Web Marketing Tips.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7793853].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Didinha
      Reference question 2.

      I have a site that is just under 5 years old. I have 60 articles on EZA all of which have keyword rich style links and all were published between 2 and 2-1/2 years ago. I have removed none of the articles and my site has been fine.
      Signature

      Adriana

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7793899].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulgl
        Originally Posted by Didinha View Post

        Reference question 2.

        I have a site that is just under 5 years old. I have 60 articles on EZA all of which have keyword rich style links and all were published between 2 and 2-1/2 years ago. I have removed none of the articles and my site has been fine.
        Why? Simple. Cause and effect here are put into a blender, then VOILA!
        A new and improved way to scare people.

        Paul
        Signature

        If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7793927].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Leiif
          Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

          Why? Simple. Cause and effect here are put into a blender, then VOILA!
          A new and improved way to scare people.

          Paul
          Hey Paul,

          Could you explain your post a little further. Not sure what you mean. Forgive me if I seem dense but I am interested in all facts regarding this issue and would like your facts also.

          Leiif
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7795654].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author fortony
            It will hurt your rankings if you could have instead used your time creating something that would have helped your site more than an ezine article.

            I still get ezine articles when I do searches and get traffic from some that I wrote so they still have to offer some value.

            The question, which I cannot answer with any certainty, is whether or not the value added is worth it for the time and effort making articles for them takes.

            At least sometimes, I think the answer is certainly yes.
            Signature

            Give your glass products the strength of 9H tempered glass with Dglass Coat. https://dglasscoat.com/

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7796233].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Leiif
        Originally Posted by Didinha View Post

        Reference question 2.

        I have a site that is just under 5 years old. I have 60 articles on EZA all of which have keyword rich style links and all were published between 2 and 2-1/2 years ago. I have removed none of the articles and my site has been fine.
        So all 60 articles point to the one site? A single page or dozens? How many other links? Any spam links like blog farms, forum sig links or thousands of profile links that could have alerted Google to look closer?

        Thinking on 2 of the sites I am watching that Google was alerted because of something else and then the fine-tooth comb was applied.

        Thanks for the data, appreciated. Anyone else with data?

        Best,
        Leiif
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7795028].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Didinha
          Originally Posted by Leiif View Post

          So all 60 articles point to the one site? A single page or dozens? How many other links? Any spam links like blog farms, forum sig links or thousands of profile links that could have alerted Google to look closer?
          Hi Leiif,

          Yes all 60 point to the one site, some of them point to inner pages but the majority point to the homepage.

          Right now the site has just over 15,000 links pointing to it. At one point there was over 50,000 but some of the links died off as sponsorship came to an end from direct media buys. I would be extremely surprised if the site hadn't been looked at more closely at some point as there are a number of different link types besides the EZA. There are directory submissions, a few high PR blog comments (actual proper comments that have stuck for years, not spam), Squidoo, Hubpages, etc. There are also forum links on two popular forums but not directly related to the niche of the web site.

          If I had to estimate I would say 14,000 of those links have been generated by me and the rest are natural links.
          Signature

          Adriana

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7797983].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Leiif
            Originally Posted by Didinha View Post

            Hi Leiif,

            Yes all 60 point to the one site, some of them point to inner pages but the majority point to the homepage.

            Right now the site has just over 15,000 links pointing to it. At one point there was over 50,000 but some of the links died off as sponsorship came to an end from direct media buys. I would be extremely surprised if the site hadn't been looked at more closely at some point as there are a number of different link types besides the EZA. There are directory submissions, a few high PR blog comments (actual proper comments that have stuck for years, not spam), Squidoo, Hubpages, etc. There are also forum links on two popular forums but not directly related to the niche of the web site.

            If I had to estimate I would say 14,000 of those links have been generated by me and the rest are natural links.
            Were you ever given a "unnatural link" warning in GWT? Did you ever participate in one of the "Blog Networks" that were taken down? I had articles in ALN and I know those were found.

            Appreciate real data. THANK YOU.

            Best,
            Leiif
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7799521].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Didinha
              Originally Posted by Leiif View Post

              Were you ever given a "unnatural link" warning in GWT? Did you ever participate in one of the "Blog Networks" that were taken down? I had articles in ALN and I know those were found.
              Yes I did, I ignored it and heard nothing more from them (and I did nothing in terms of removing links). Personally I think that a lot of people dropped themselves in it by removing links and sending re-inclusion requests and admitting guilt and all that stuff. Great way to put yourself on Google's radar.

              As for blog networks, no, thats probably one of the only "tactics" I didn't get involved with because I wasn't keen on the fees.
              Signature

              Adriana

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7802134].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wendyann
      Originally Posted by KevL View Post

      For me it depends what you mean by "Hit" - when you say "HIT" are you meaning completely deindexed, or do you mean dropped in position?

      There's a difference at least in my head (which is pretty much empty so I may well be wrong!) between being "penalized" - and simply dropping back down the serps to where it would be if it wasn't initially pushed up the serps by juice which no longer flows.

      "Penalized" implies punishment. If a site is de-indexed, then yes it's fair to say it's been penalized, but I see a lot of people saying their website has been penalized, when they just haven't.

      Lets say there's site A & site B, and it's 2008 or something...and they're both very similar in most regards apart from the fact that site A is benefiting from link building from methods which Google don't want to reward but haven't yet found a way to weed out, and site B is focusing on onpage instead of offpage, so site B's real value is continually improving, while site A's is not, but site A's offpage is constantly being improved instead with backlinks using various methods.

      Site B only benefits from onpage, while site A climbs due to the linkjuice flowing to it.

      Site B is actually the site that is being penalized here, because it's actual value is improving constantly, and site A and other sites like it, are able to soar above it in the serps with websites which are of far less actual value to the visitor.

      Lets say that site B gets a handful of real backlinks due to great content and features (real as in the actual kind of backlinks that Google intended to class as a sign of value), but it's only a handful, and site A has WAY more links, but actually doesn't have a single backlink that did not come from backlinking methods, meaning that none of site A's links are a sign of value.

      But then fast forward a few years, and Google have improved their "stuff" (I can't spell algorithms), so they can now weed out all of the links that they class as being to do with "link schemes" of any kind - and now, the juice that was keeping site A way up the serps in comparison with site B, stops, and site A drops down the serps beyond site B - right where it would have been all along if it weren't for the fact that certain methods of backlinking created link juice which previously pushed it up to an artificially high position (artificial meaning that these kinds of links do not actually say anything about the value of the website, and there's no real world reason that these links should actually cause Google to class site A as more valuable than site B) .

      In the above example - you can't class this as being "hit" or "penalised" - in fact, it was site B that was actually being penalised by Google allowing a website which is actually showing less true signs of value, to rise up the serps above it based on the extra perceived value that these backlinks create, which is only perceived value and not actual value.

      It's just the balance being re adjusted...
      One of the best explanations I have read on the Google dance. Also your backlinks can drop because so many linking sites have been abandoned.
      Btw I've seen worse spelling - at least you've spelled algorithm correctly!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7800701].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daones
    I Think one issue people may have with their old articles on EZA is the overuse of the same keyword in their resource box. But this can easily be fixed, you can go back and edit the link and keyword so you dont have a high usage of the same exact keyword.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7802281].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author samanthamilner
    Banned
    I was using ezine articles for years and had a drop in traffic last year and when I stopped using them my traffic shot back up.

    I have found that now my seo costs are down and I am getting much better results and my alexa ranks are at the highest they have ever been at.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7824923].message }}

Trending Topics