Why is Facebook PR9 and Twitter PR10?

by smodha
12 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hey WF,

Facebook is the biggest social network on the planet with some 800 million profiles. With such a massive footprint, why has Google only assigned it a PR9? Twitter is much smaller with more OBLs and is a PR10 site.

Any ideas?

Sanj.
#facebook #pr10 #pr9 #twitter
  • Profile picture of the author challanger
    got plenty of other stuff to notice. :-) For me both are social media plate-forms to get some exposure for business. :-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7792332].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Zakhar
      Does PR matter? when all their traffic is direct they couldn't care less where google has to place them.
      Signature
      Stay Humble
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7792571].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author smodha
        Originally Posted by Zakhar View Post

        Does PR matter? when all their traffic is direct they couldn't care less where google has to place them.
        It matters because you read a lot of nonsense in this forum. For example, I have seen endless threads that state; Google will reward PR with backlinks from sites with low OBLs. That cannot be the true if you use Twitter as an example which has millions of OBLs.

        If low OBLs is proportional to Page Rank how does that explain Twitter's PR10?
        Signature
        I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7792608].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
          Originally Posted by smodha View Post

          It matters because you read a lot of nonsense in this forum. For example, I have seen endless threads that state; Google will reward PR with backlinks from sites with low OBLs. That cannot be the true if you use Twitter as an example which has millions of OBLs.

          If low OBLs is proportional to Page Rank how does that explain Twitter's PR10?
          That's not true.

          Twitter.com has 6 OBL's, and they are all to subdomains of Twitter.
          Signature
          SEO, AdWords Management, Social Media Marketing, and more.
          Get a FREE Quote.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7793529].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author smodha
            Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

            That's not true.

            Twitter.com has 6 OBL's, and they are all to subdomains of Twitter.
            Thanks Mike. That would explain it.
            Signature
            I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7793545].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trafficmasters
    I think its because most of twitter is public for spiders and bots to crawl and index, where as facebook, a good portion of the profiles are private?

    I'm not a SEO expert so I could be wrong
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7793251].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CTRTheme
    Banned
    I heard twitter got more quality links than facebook.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7793397].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author smodha
      Originally Posted by CTRTheme View Post

      I heard twitter got more quality links than facebook.
      What does that mean?
      Signature
      I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7793541].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author CTRTheme
        Banned
        Originally Posted by smodha View Post

        What does that mean?
        Twitter has more high quality links than facebook.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7797583].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ldiaz117
    Yea like who cares. It is because it is.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7793687].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author paulgl
      PR has nothing to with how big the site is. Or the
      number of users. Who told you it did?

      The PR of either FB or twitter is immaterial.

      It has nothing to do with the PR of your twitter
      account, your FB page, group, etc.

      Why does the PR differ? It's all about backlinks,
      nothing else. Google is calculating the worth of
      backlinks to FB a tad lower than twitter.

      I can only assume that more people link to twitter
      than FB, or they count more. Why? Because FB
      can put a wall between the url and a FB account.
      Twitter has no such nonsense.

      Could be how google sees a "follow us on twitter"
      as being a real link, as it just takes you to the
      twitter account. "Like us on FB" needs the
      person to be logged in, in order to actually do the "like."
      In other words, the redirection/wall might be making the
      links less valuable.

      Paul
      Signature

      If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7794007].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author smodha
        Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

        PR has nothing to with how big the site is. Or the
        number of users. Who told you it did?

        Paul
        I wasn't suggesting that Facebook is a bigger site and therefore should be higher PR. My original question was regarding the link between low OBLs and PR. Some on this forum have suggested that high PR = low OBLs. You also see this advertised on paid backlink services.

        Btw - nice explanation Paul.
        Signature
        I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7795464].message }}

Trending Topics