I ranked a blog on page #4 of G with zero content. Here's how I did it:
1) I bought the EMD for my keyword (keywordnow.com)
2) One H1 keyword tag and one picture with keyword Alt Text (the picture can be anything you want as Google can't "see" it)
3) Keyword in Meta Title & Description
4) Only one sentence under the picture - "Still under construction. Click here for more information". 'Click here' points to Wikipedia.
5) One keyword category with 3 tags (keyword and variations of keyword).
That's it seriously. No voodoo, no jedi tricks.
Imagine what I can do with a few, tidy backlinks?
I firmly believe that good content is about keeping visitors on your site. It has nothing to do with Google rankings.
So, before you start posting 1000 word articles, give this some thought.