What's a safe number of backlinks to get a week over a 4 month period?

25 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I have heard so many different things about this.

Anyone really know?

Thanks.
#backlinks #month #number #period #safe #week
  • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
    If they are good links, as many as you possibly can.
    Signature

    For SEO news, discussions, tactics, and more.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901291].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jupiter0
      Thanks, Mike.

      I thought you were supposed to drip them, or else Google would notice and penalize?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901310].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
        Originally Posted by jupiter0 View Post

        Thanks, Mike.

        I thought you were supposed to drip them, or else Google would notice and penalize?
        If that were true, then every time a page went viral, a site would get penalized.
        Signature

        For SEO news, discussions, tactics, and more.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901327].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jupiter0
          That makes sense.

          So you say that what I just read on a SE0 website is wrong? Just asking....

          "Don’t try to build lot of links at a time as your site may seem a link farm in the eyes of the Search Engines. This may even make the SEs to remove your site from indexing i.e.., Ban your website from being indexed. So never try to do link building in a hurry. Remember “Rome was not built-in a day”. Slow and steady wins the race."
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901348].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
    NOBODY knows the answer to this. Experiment and find out.
    Signature
    Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dome
    If you diversify your link profile and its consistant there is no issue! But only focus on quality links rather than OLD scapbox or xrumer links
    Signature

    A Warrior always ready to L"earn"

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901356].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smodha
    As low as possible which means you focus on good link building.

    Less is definitely more.
    Signature
    I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901367].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by smodha View Post

      As low as possible which means you focus on good link building.

      Less is definitely more.

      That is nonsense. Less is not more. More is more. I have yet to see a site that got penalized for getting too many good links.


      Originally Posted by jupiter0 View Post

      That makes sense.

      So you say that what I just read on a SE0 website is wrong? Just asking....

      "Don't try to build lot of links at a time as your site may seem a link farm in the eyes of the Search Engines. This may even make the SEs to remove your site from indexing i.e.., Ban your website from being indexed. So never try to do link building in a hurry. Remember "Rome was not built-in a day". Slow and steady wins the race."
      A "link farm" is a site giving out links, not a site gaining links. Right there shows that the person writing for that website has no idea what they are talking about.
      Signature

      For SEO news, discussions, tactics, and more.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901480].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gearmonkey
    Avoid a million low quality backlinks and go for fewer high quality backlinks. I would say no more than 15 - 25 per week of high quality PR backlinks.
    Signature

    My Guitar Website | My SEO Blog - Advertising spots available.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901579].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      Originally Posted by gearmonkey View Post

      Avoid a million low quality backlinks and go for fewer high quality backlinks. I would say no more than 15 - 25 per week of high quality PR backlinks.
      If they are high quality, why not 50? 100? 1000?
      Signature

      For SEO news, discussions, tactics, and more.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901589].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author gearmonkey
        Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

        If they are high quality, why not 50? 100? 1000?
        Looks unnatural, of course. If your website is new and getting 15 PR7 and PR8 backlinks per hour for one full week straight, I'm sure that will raise a red flag and a quick way to get that love letter from GWTs. It's not natural. Does Amazon even get that kind of return? I doubt it.
        Signature

        My Guitar Website | My SEO Blog - Advertising spots available.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901600].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
          Originally Posted by gearmonkey View Post

          Looks unnatural, of course.
          No it doesn't.

          Getting 15-25 links per week consistently looks 'unnatural'.
          Signature

          For SEO news, discussions, tactics, and more.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901617].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author gearmonkey
            Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

            No it doesn't.

            Getting 15-25 links per week consistently looks 'unnatural'.
            I never said consistently, did I? I think the words I used (correct me if I'm wrong), was "no more than 15 - 25 per week".

            "no more than" doesn't equal "consistently" as you like to word it.
            Signature

            My Guitar Website | My SEO Blog - Advertising spots available.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901626].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
              Originally Posted by gearmonkey View Post

              I never said consistently, did I? I think the words I used (correct me if I'm wrong), was "no more than 15 - 25 per week".

              "no more than" doesn't equal "consistently" as you like to word it.
              You're right. You didn't say consistently. The "15-25 per week" kind of phrase that people spout off around here usually implies that. But, no, you didn't say that.

              Either way it is foolish to limit your link building. If you can get 50 good links, get 50. If you can get 100, get 100.
              Signature

              For SEO news, discussions, tactics, and more.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901650].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author gearmonkey
                Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

                You're right. You didn't say consistently. The "15-25 per week" kind of phrase that people spout off around here usually implies that. But, no, you didn't say that.

                Either way it is foolish to limit your link building. If you can get 50 good links, get 50. If you can get 100, get 100.
                I would love to get 100 good backlinks, but I would prefer getting those 100 spread out and not in just one sitting.

                Content goes viral all the time, which is great. Then you might get 100 good backlinks in 24 hours. The thing I wouldn't want is to do is throw a flag. What is the threshold? I don't know. I've seen didn't numbers and I think it has to do with different factors, including on-page SEO and anchor text variables.

                The bottom line is if your backlinks are not natural, then you don't want to risk throwing the flag. I'm a firm believer in building your brand and taking things slow if you are building your own backlinks. If you are building viral content that is exploding, then I say go full force! Because that is natural.
                Signature

                My Guitar Website | My SEO Blog - Advertising spots available.

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901691].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                  Originally Posted by gearmonkey View Post

                  I would love to get 100 good backlinks, but I would prefer getting those 100 spread out and not in just one sitting.iral content that is exploding, then I say go full force! Because that is natural.
                  First you have to define "good" though. If by good you mean authority alone then maybe but if you mean good the way Google defines it as also white hat and high authority then I'm taking them when I get them. I don't even have the option because I am not the one whose supposed to be dropping the link. From Google's white hat vantage point their good is not something you can control.
                  Signature

                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901904].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
          Originally Posted by gearmonkey View Post

          Looks unnatural, of course. If your website is new and getting 15 PR7 and PR8 backlinks per hour for one full week straight, I'm sure that will raise a red flag and a quick way to get that love letter from GWTs. It's not natural. Does Amazon even get that kind of return? I doubt it.
          Doesn't matter if a website is new or not. Google is not stupid and realize they have no idea what I'm doing offline. I might be launching an amazing viral campaign offline that is attracting a ton of attention. Google is going to punish a business for that? That is just foolish.

          And nobody is saying it has to be PR 7 and 8 links to be quality links.
          Signature

          For SEO news, discussions, tactics, and more.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901632].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author gearmonkey
            Originally Posted by MikeFriedman View Post

            Doesn't matter if a website is new or not. Google is not stupid and realize they have no idea what I'm doing offline. I might be launching an amazing viral campaign offline that is attracting a ton of attention. Google is going to punish a business for that? That is just foolish.

            And nobody is saying it has to be PR 7 and 8 links to be quality links.
            If you're website is getting a 1,000 backlinks per week I can almost guarantee you that your website will eventually get flagged. And the last thing you want is to go under a manual review. It's better to stay under the radar, trust me.
            Signature

            My Guitar Website | My SEO Blog - Advertising spots available.

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901645].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author paulgl
              Originally Posted by gearmonkey View Post

              If you're website is getting a 1,000 backlinks per week I can almost guarantee you that your website will eventually get flagged. And the last thing you want is to go under a manual review. It's better to stay under the radar, trust me.
              That is absolutely, positively, altogether silly.

              But then, silliness abounds here, doesn't it?

              But please, if you are my competitor, by all means LIMIT your
              backlinking. Please!

              My gosh, pity anyone who goes viral. They are just going to get
              penalized....

              Oh man. Now we have "undeserved" links? Can this get any crazier?!?!?!

              Paul
              Signature

              If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7902047].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author FakeItTilYouMakeIt
                Banned
                Undeserved link- (noun) A link from a good quality site to a crappy site. Usually obtained through an exchange of money, other links or naughty pictures. May cause Google penalties, "link guilt" or "link paranoia."

                Link guilt- (noun) That sheepish, dirty feeling you get after buying undeserved links for your crappy site.

                Link paranoia- (noun) Anxious, worried feeling that comes before a Google penalty. When you know you've propped up a POS site with undeserved links and/or crappy links. Side effects may include: blaming Amazon, blaming Google, blaming Obama or talking preemptively about "link velocity" and other made-up SEO nonsense
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7902119].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author dreamtoreality
                Originally Posted by paulgl View Post

                That is absolutely, positively, altogether silly.

                But then, silliness abounds here, doesn't it?

                But please, if you are my competitor, by all means LIMIT your
                backlinking. Please!

                My gosh, pity anyone who goes viral. They are just going to get
                penalized....

                Oh man. Now we have "undeserved" links? Can this get any crazier?!?!?!

                Paul
                Paul, do you mean to say that the guy selling "PR7 links":rolleyes: for a measly five dollars doesn't know what he's talking about? Now I've heard everything.

                Originally Posted by gearmonkey View Post

                It's better to stay under the radar, trust me.
                This bit made me laugh. 910 people have paid Gearmonkey five dollars for a backlink on his "PR7 blog." Way to practice what you preach and stay under the radar, eh?
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7902174].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author patco
      You should try to find ONLY related backlinks and also BOTH dofollow and nofollow. This is an important thing you should pay attention to according to recent Google updates!!! Yes, high PR backlinks if possible, but believe me -> each backlink is a VOTE for your website!
      Signature

      A blog that will show you How to Lose Weight with a cool Quick Weight Loss guide...
      Also enjoy some of my favorite Funny pictures and photos that will make you smile :)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7902231].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FakeItTilYouMakeIt
    Banned
    I think it's safe to say that unless something comes straight out of the mouth of Google (and sometimes even then) we can't be 100% sure about it. But that's the job right? To draw reasonable conclusions about the algorithm based on what the data shows. And in this case I think it's pretty clear. Good links are good links. I'll never have to much of a good thing with good links. The harder they are to get the better. Is that a hard fast rule? Yep. Does it hold true time and again? You bet. If the link is easy to get you can be sure that the spam lords are stockpiling them and will ruin it for the rest of us so stay out of the mud-wrestling in the easy link arena and work hard for your links.

    That said... The theory of link velocity is disproved every time a piece of content goes viral. Those are facts. If I write a fantastic blog post about "The Power of Collective Paranoia: Mass Histeria and Crowd Mentality in SEO Today" and it goes viral people are linking like crazy to it. Then it dies down, then my next post comes out and maybe that new one sucks so then yeah.. it sucked, I get no links and Google isn't going to penalize me for that either. Basically you want to emulate virality as much as possible. Google cannot read my post and say "this is brilliant" or "this is crap" it can only crawl it, index it, look for duplicate content, etc... bot work. Link velocity = penalizing virality = a myth You are not getting penalized for too many good links too fast you are getting penalized for buying links, crappy links or no link diversity. Y'all should listen to Mike.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901623].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FakeItTilYouMakeIt
    Banned
    Ahhh so you are talking about undeserved, artificial links?

    If your site/ content doesn't deserve them then no I don't think you should beg/barter/buy/steal good links. Not even one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7901704].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RossIT
    i agree with Mike, where he says that anytime something went viral it would get a Google slap!

    i assume as long as they are good quality backlinks do as much as you can, and by good quality i am guessing they would need to be relevant! So if your blog commenting for example make sure its related to your topic/niche and dont just leave one phrase generic comments "wow great article, thanks for sharing" it looks very spammy! leave good informative comments that show you have read and taken in the article/blog in question.

    also getting a good mix of backlinks, from blog commenting, forum posting, web.2.0 sites, blogs, press releases etc.

    But most of all try it and see, what you may find work for you may not be as effective for others.
    Signature
    www.ross-it.co.uk - Laptop Repairs in Colchester Area
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7902539].message }}

Trending Topics