Sites with low PR outranking higher PR pages

15 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I was searching some local small business, and I noticed a site with a PR of 0 (reported using SEO Quake) was outranking a competitor website with a PR of 4.

The website with PR of 4 had copy paste content for different cities that it serviced as well as many questionable backlinks that look purchased or are entirely unrelated to what the website was about. Suprised this website has a PR of 4 after penguin / panda.

The website with PR of 0 had a blog page where the user was adding new blog posts probably once a week. Even though the blogs weren't being commented on/ tweed/ liked on FB very much it seems that regularly generating related blog content of some sort helps push you up in the rankings even if your PR is 0.

Is this observation correct (regular blogging helps increase ranking)?

Thanks
#higher #low #outranking #pages #sites
  • Profile picture of the author Backlinko
    Originally Posted by bluehabit View Post


    Is this observation correct (regular blogging helps increase ranking)?
    There are a million reasons a low PR page ranks above one with higher PR

    Usually, the lower page is more relevant for that keyword.. The higher PR site probably ranks above the lower one for most keywords.

    But no, regular blogging doesn't help much. I have sites that haven't been updated in years and they continue to stay put.

    That being said, I think keeping things fresh helps a little...but it's not a significant ranking factor for most keywords.
    Signature
    Find Awesome Keywords...Without ANY Tools
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7953412].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KingRoyal
      Originally Posted by Backlinko View Post

      There are a million reasons a low PR page ranks above one with higher PR

      Usually, the lower page is more relevant for that keyword.. The higher PR site probably ranks above the lower one for most keywords.

      But no, regular blogging doesn't help much. I have sites that haven't been updated in years and they continue to stay put.

      That being said, I think keeping things fresh helps a little...but it's not a significant ranking factor for most keywords.
      Man I think regular blogging has a HUGE impact.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7966998].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mexabet
    This is mot surprising at all. PageRank is only one of more than 200 ranking factors Google uses. Copying from other sites and pasting is one of the best ways to get poor ranking. When your content is not unique and original, you can't expect good ranking on SERPs. Google uses spam filter to filter out sites with duplicate content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7953423].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kaytav
    That will be for sometime. That website will go down, soon.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7953474].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PicnicTutorials
    Here is the panda update in a sentence... "Place mom and pop shops that spend zero time on seo at or near the top of google". Same old shit as the GOV. I coin this... "Google Socialism".

    After I have probably spent in exses of 1000 hours on seo on another site of mine I noticed a new site put together in 5 minutes with a address of all-copied-shit.blogspot.com placing higher than me for most keywords I said f-u google.

    Once I regained my composer I did eventually win the serp race.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7953616].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author moneyranger
    PR is one of the many(hundreds) factors which effect the Search Engine listing. It is myth that high pagerank sites will be listed above low PR sites. I think this post will be helpful for you Top 10 Myths about Google PageRank
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7953646].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author geoio
    The PR4 site should lose it, if his content is duplicate.
    I saw many times PR0 sites on page 1. Maybe they have already higher rank but Google didn't announce it?
    I agree that posting often doesn't help a lot.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7953680].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author chris_87
      Originally Posted by geoio View Post

      The PR4 site should lose it, if his content is duplicate.
      I saw many times PR0 sites on page 1. Maybe they have already higher rank but Google didn't announce it?
      I agree that posting often doesn't help a lot.
      How do you correctly use a blog to help increase search ranking and or page rank then?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7953750].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author drem
    Originally Posted by bluehabit View Post

    I was searching some local small business, and I noticed a site with a PR of 0 (reported using SEO Quake) was outranking a competitor website with a PR of 4.

    The website with PR of 4 had copy paste content for different cities that it serviced as well as many questionable backlinks that look purchased or are entirely unrelated to what the website was about. Suprised this website has a PR of 4 after penguin / panda.

    The website with PR of 0 had a blog page where the user was adding new blog posts probably once a week. Even though the blogs weren't being commented on/ tweed/ liked on FB very much it seems that regularly generating related blog content of some sort helps push you up in the rankings even if your PR is 0.

    Is this observation correct (regular blogging helps increase ranking)?

    Thanks
    It really depends. The links pointing to the High PR site might not have the proper anchor text used, they may be trying to rank for another keyword, the PR 0 might have a high internal PR and you just can't see it yet. There are just too many factors to really tell.

    Regular blogging just keeps the bots coming in. I have some sites that still rank for keywords and they haven't been updated in quite some time. However, I have noticed that after I do update, my rankings will rise a bit on occasion. I personally like feeding Google more content. It helps me come up for more keywords which is never a bad thing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7954044].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joelle Hoban
    Bluehabit,

    An important process for increasing website rank is blogging. Stay up to date and socially active in the blog community.

    Do-Follow blogs many times will produce backlinks to your website from commenting on their posts.

    Also most blog sites nowadays have software that will automatically place a link to their last blog post.

    Blogging is one factor that will help increase your rankings.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7966966].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author patco
    No matter if you have PR6 or PR0 you can always outrank your competitors if you build QUALITY backlinks...
    Signature

    A blog that will show you How to Lose Weight with a cool Quick Weight Loss guide...
    Also enjoy some of my favorite Funny pictures and photos that will make you smile :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7967170].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    Few things come to mind and obvious there are tons of reasons why but just list some:

    - The site owner has a ton of internal links pointed at that page and PR isn't updated
    - The site owner has build a ton of links and PR isn't updated yet
    - The PR4 page is not optimized for the keyword
    - The PR4 page has no links with that anchor text.
    - The Google refresh query is active and the PR0 page shouldn't rank there
    - The PR0 page has a very strong domain redirected at it that used to rank for the same kw

    There are probably a ton more reasons that I haven't thought of but these listed above are most often the main reason.

    If you keep on adding content and structure it in a proper way (silo structuring for example) or good internal link usage then it will definitely help.

    But it's not so that if you just keep blogging about tons of topics that you'll automatically start to rank better. There need to be some strategy in place.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7967330].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Iceware
    there are lots of factors why this happens. If you ever see Wikipedia which has a high PR, it will be lower page one or under other sites with lower PR. This is because it isn't optimized for that search like the other sites. But on the other hand say if there is two sites with the same quality of content for the same keyword the high PR site will normally rank higher. But then you will have to compare the backlinks.
    Signature

    Your Niche Sites SUCK!!! Don't Click The Link To Learn Why:
    realnichebusiness.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7967403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fredp
    Relevant contents + quality backlinks + social juice will pump up your site on page 1

    You can use a tool like seosleuth to know what your competitors do then you can use the same sites from where they have put their quality backlinks to do the same and finally use an alchemy of different seo off-page strategies(wiki, social bookmark, rss feeds, doc sharing, etc) to outrank them!
    Be inventive and it will work in no time
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7967449].message }}

Trending Topics