Can You Use BlogSpot As Web 2.0?

41 replies
  • SEO
  • |
If you build several blogs through blogspot.com and use them to link to your main site will that pass link juice? The reason I ask is because I was told that blogspot.com blogs are hard to get page ranks on them, no matter how much link building you do. Thoughts? Other free web 2.0 sites you'd suggest that would work better?
#blogspot #web
  • Profile picture of the author Backlinko
    Yes, it's a web 2.0 property that can pass juice.

    That is, if it has some links pointing directly to the subdomain.
    Signature
    Find Awesome Keywords...Without ANY Tools
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7988594].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author UtahHomesToGo
    That is what I figured...but I have heard that the penalty can jump one deep. Just a guessing game I guess. Thanks for the info!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7988642].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WebTheorem
      The penalty won't pass to your main site. But it will show low quality "spammy" links are pointing to your site. Which doesn't look very good for you.

      Most people that setup web 2.0's do it incorrectly, and this has a reverse effect than what they were hoping for.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7989595].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author paulgl
        Blogspot blogs can rank as highly and as easily(or hard) as
        anything else.

        Why would blogpsot links be considered spammy, just because?

        Google owns blogspot. Just saying, in case some people have
        not heard.

        Makes no sense then, to say they are hard to rank, or, suffer
        penalties because they are blogspot blogs. Blogger is one
        of the most visited websites on the planet.

        Paul
        Signature

        If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7989625].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author WebTheorem
          I don't believe anyone said blogspot was spammy.

          It's if back linking was does incorrectly to that page, and has spammy comments, and links posted on it. Or has non related links pointing to it, it could be looked at as a spammy page.

          Like most people setup a blog to point to their site, and what's the first thing they do after posting a blog? They link directly to their site. No that doesn't look suspicious. And then a few days later they create another blog post on the same page, and post another link to their site.

          Doesn't look very natural.

          Just my 2 cents.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7989691].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Carl Brown
            Originally Posted by WebTheorem View Post

            I don't believe anyone said blogspot was spammy.

            It's if back linking was does incorrectly to that page, and has spammy comments, and links posted on it. Or has non related links pointing to it, it could be looked at as a spammy page.

            Like most people setup a blog to point to their site, and what's the first thing they do after posting a blog? They link directly to their site. No that doesn't look suspicious. And then a few days later they create another blog post on the same page, and post another link to their site.

            Doesn't look very natural.

            Just my 2 cents.
            Links to your site should be one of many pointing to other sites as well. Blogspot is VERY effective.
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7995709].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author curationsoft
        Originally Posted by WebTheorem View Post

        The penalty won't pass to your main site. But it will show low quality "spammy" links are pointing to your site. Which doesn't look very good for you.

        Most people that setup web 2.0's do it incorrectly, and this has a reverse effect than what they were hoping for.
        "Most people that setup web 2.0's do it incorrectly, and this has a reverse effect than what they were hoping for."

        I totally agree with you man.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7990661].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author WebTheorem
          Originally Posted by curationsoft View Post

          "Most people that setup web 2.0's do it incorrectly, and this has a reverse effect than what they were hoping for."

          I totally agree with you man.
          I've found when building blogs, you have to let it natural build some authority first before sending a bunch of outbound links from the pages.

          Post some content, wait a few days, post some more content, wait a few days, post some more content and now with images, then... Start pointing an outbound link to yourself.

          Personally I wait a month or two on my web 2.0's before sending outbound signals. And this method has been very successful and not looking like spam or automated postings.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7990692].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author curationsoft
            Originally Posted by WebTheorem View Post

            I've found when building blogs, you have to let it natural build some authority first before sending a bunch of outbound links from the pages.

            Post some content, wait a few days, post some more content, wait a few days, post some more content and now with images, then... Start pointing an outbound link to yourself.

            Personally I wait a month or two on my web 2.0's before sending outbound signals. And this method has been very successful and not looking like spam or automated postings.
            "Personally I wait a month or two on my web 2.0's before sending outbound signals. And this method has been very successful and not looking like spam or automated postings."

            That's a very good strategy indeed. Unlike creating content on web2.0 sites then the same day putting outbound links on the pages.

            Noted.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7990712].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author paulgl
              Originally Posted by curationsoft View Post

              "Personally I wait a month or two on my web 2.0's before sending outbound signals.
              Wish you were part of my competition...

              Three things my competitors need to do:
              wait, wait, and wait.

              Originally Posted by Hansons View Post

              It can give you some traffics to if you have created blogs on low competitive keywords.. I would say..
              Is that penguin-ese? You're sounding more and more like a bot...

              Paul
              Signature

              If you were disappointed in your results today, lower your standards tomorrow.

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7992242].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Curtis2011
    Sure, why not.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7989730].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Slin
    Of course, they're super easy to rank as well
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7989805].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Master Dayton
    Well built blogspot blogs with good content and some links can definitely rank. My best site for a long time was a blogspot blog. It did eventually lose some rankings, but that was more from the sites linking to it losing their link juice and strength than anything else. Even after Panda and Penguin, it's a PR3 and rising again, so you can definitely use blogspot blogs to support.
    Signature

    Ask about my discounts for Warriors when you need top quality ghostwriting that puts you heads and shoulders above your competition!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7989815].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author azad
    Yes, you can. In fact its one of the best web 2.0 sites out there.
    Signature
    Click Here to Get Facebook Ads Coupons || My Blog Internet Geeks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7990622].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Backlinko
    It's not whether they're spammy or not...it's whether or not they work.

    For link building or ranking a page...blogpost is pretty much useless IMHO.

    Just look a the top 10 for any competitive keyword.

    How many blogspots are in the top 10?
    Zero.

    How many sites are ranking because they have links from blogspots or other web 2.0s.
    Zero.
    Signature
    Find Awesome Keywords...Without ANY Tools
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7990976].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Slin
      Originally Posted by Backlinko View Post

      It's not whether they're spammy or not...it's whether or not they work.

      For link building or ranking a page...blogpost is pretty much useless IMHO.

      Just look a the top 10 for any competitive keyword.

      How many blogspots are in the top 10?
      Zero.

      How many sites are ranking because they have links from blogspots or other web 2.0s.
      Zero.
      Search Printable coupons, this keyword averages 135,000 searches a month.

      What's number one? A blogspot.

      You asked for an example so I had to give you one

      I wonder how much money those people make daily...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7991842].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Backlinko
        Originally Posted by Slin View Post

        Search Printable coupons, this keyword averages 135,000 searches a month.

        What's number one? A blogspot.

        You asked for an example so I had to give you one

        I wonder how much money those people make daily...
        You're right. That's the first one I've seen.

        Definitely a pretty tough keyword too. I stand corrected.
        Signature
        Find Awesome Keywords...Without ANY Tools
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7992260].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author curationsoft
          Originally Posted by Backlinko View Post

          You're right. That's the first one I've seen.

          Definitely a pretty tough keyword too. I stand corrected.
          yes you should be. as blogspot isn't pretty much useless. The results will only depend on how you make it look natural when making this web 2.0 properties.

          I'm gonna quote and elaborate what webtheorem said and base on what I know that is actually working for me: "It's if back linking was does incorrectly to that page, and has spammy comments, and links posted on it. Or has non related links pointing to it, it could be looked at as a spammy page. "

          What he said is just very simple. It means when you make web 2.0 properties look natural, by natural it means you use different Themes on every web 2.0 properties you have, links not only pointed to your page but have links also pointed to authority sites like yahoo, amazon, cnn news if related, whatever popular site you can add and I also want to add don't make all your web 2.0 properties linked only to 1 page, make it randomize. some other web 2.0 properties linked to your home page some doesn't and some pointed to your pages.

          or you can use CurationSoft to curate high quality contents to your web 2.0 properties then as webtheorem suggested, you take logs of this blogs you created, wait for 1-2 months before posting any links outbound links on the post.

          Hope people reading this now have an idea on how to make it properly and don't just spam the sh!t out of this web 2.0 sites.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7993084].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author WebTheorem
            Originally Posted by curationsoft View Post

            yes you should be. as blogspot isn't pretty much useless. The results will only depend on how you make it look natural when making this web 2.0 properties.

            I'm gonna quote and elaborate what webtheorem said and base on what I know that is actually working for me: "It's if back linking was does incorrectly to that page, and has spammy comments, and links posted on it. Or has non related links pointing to it, it could be looked at as a spammy page. "

            What he said is just very simple. It means when you make web 2.0 properties look natural, by natural it means you use different Themes on every web 2.0 properties you have, links not only pointed to your page but have links also pointed to authority sites like yahoo, amazon, cnn news if related, whatever popular site you can add and I also want to add don't make all your web 2.0 properties linked only to 1 page, make it randomize. some other web 2.0 properties linked to your home page some doesn't and some pointed to your pages.

            or you can use CurationSoft to curate high quality contents to your web 2.0 properties then as webtheorem suggested, you take logs of this blogs you created, wait for 1-2 months before posting any links outbound links on the post.

            Hope people reading this now have an idea on how to make it properly and don't just spam the sh!t out of this web 2.0 sites.
            Exactly. Most people doing Internet marketing these days are looking for quick "pop" results. Which is ok for certain situations. When I'm working with clients, I listen to them and see what they expect out of my efforts. Then I try to educate them a little about different techniques that are done throughout the industry. With that information, we build a plan of our attack. But 90% of them understand the quick "pop" results don't have lasting impressions.

            I've worked on some projects where the customer has huge databases of pages, 1-5 million. We've tried various methods on getting them indexed and ranked. Now from what I've seen, the slow steady pace of building strong natural backlinks have been the most effective.

            We took a site that has 5 million pages, and were able to get 1.5 million of those pages indexed in four months. The ranking of those pages are higher then sites that have been around 4-10 years. And this particular site I'm speaking of was a brand new domain.

            So again it depends on what lasting results your looking for.
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994187].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Backlinko
            Originally Posted by curationsoft View Post

            yes you should be. as blogspot isn't pretty much useless. The results will only depend on how you make it look natural when making this web 2.0 properties.
            Don't get carried away.

            ONE result from ONE keyword doesn't prove anything (except that it's possible to rank a blogspot blog once and a while).

            If you go back to that SERP you'll notice the other 9 results are from non-web 2.0 sites.

            If you're serious about building a real brand or a real business, you're not going to use a blogspot blog to set it up.

            Have you ever called your girlfriend and say:

            "Hey baby, I found this amazing site! It's called printablecoupons.blogpost.com. Oh my God it's amazing!"

            Or has someone asked you about your business and you told them:

            "Actually I have this site couponspot.blogspot.com. It's great!".

            Of course not.

            Just because a blogspot page happens to rank doesn't mean it's a viable long-term business model.

            After all, if you put all your $$$ behind blogpost, you're relying on Google for your site's infrastructure AND traffic.

            That's a huge risk.

            There are PLENTY of horror stories out there of Google deleting blogspot accounts without recourse.

            In terms of link building, I said "pretty much useless". Not completely useless, but pretty close.

            Not sure if you noticed but Google wants to see links from authority sites in your niche. And while there may be a few blogpost "authorities" out there, changing the theme of your 5 page blogspot blog doesn't make it an authority.

            So yeah, there's one blogspot page ranking for a tough keyword. That doesn't mean you should cancel your Bluehost account and switch over to blogpost.
            Signature
            Find Awesome Keywords...Without ANY Tools
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994223].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author curationsoft
              Originally Posted by Backlinko View Post

              Don't get carried away.

              ONE result from ONE keyword doesn't prove anything (except that it's possible to rank a blogspot blog once and a while).

              If you go back to that SERP you'll notice the other 9 results are from non-web 2.0 sites.

              If you're serious about building a real brand or a real business, you're not going to use a blogspot blog to set it up.

              Have you ever called your girlfriend and say:

              "Hey baby, I found this amazing site! It's called printablecoupons.blogpost.com. Oh my God it's amazing!"

              Or has someone asked you about your business and you told them:

              "Actually I have this site couponspot.blogspot.com. It's great!".

              Of course not.

              Just because a blogspot page happens to rank doesn't mean it's a viable long-term business model.

              After all, if you put all your $$$ behind blogpost, you're relying on Google for your site's infrastructure AND traffic.

              That's a huge risk.

              There are PLENTY of horror stories out there of Google deleting blogspot accounts without recourse.

              In terms of link building, I said "pretty much useless". Not completely useless, but pretty close.

              Not sure if you noticed but Google wants to see links from authority sites in your niche. And while there may be a few blogpost "authorities" out there, changing the theme of your 5 page blogspot blog doesn't make it an authority.

              So yeah, there's one blogspot page ranking for a tough keyword. That doesn't mean you should cancel your Bluehost account and switch over to blogpost.
              Oppppss now were on a TOTALLY different directions. Did I mention were gonna use blogspot for our main site? Think again.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994998].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Backlinko
                Originally Posted by curationsoft View Post

                Oppppss now were on a TOTALLY different directions. Did I mention were gonna use blogspot for our main site? Think again.
                I guess we are.

                I'm going the direction of building a real branded site.

                You're building links from web 2.0s on blogspot blogs.

                I'm glad to see that the strategy is working for you. It's not a strategy I would use on my money sites.

                That's cool if that's how you do things and I'm glad to see that it's working for you. Best of luck to you.
                Signature
                Find Awesome Keywords...Without ANY Tools
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7995013].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hansons
    It can give you some traffics to if you have created blogs on low competitive keywords.. I would say..
    Signature

    Is your website Hacked? Try -> www.sitebeak.com
    Is Google Analytics installed Properly? Test -> www.GAtective.com
    Impersonal Google search? Check -> www.impersonal.me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7992000].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author patco
    Of course. If done right, it could pass link juice really good and together with Wordpress, Squidoo and maybe one or two more... will work great!
    Signature

    A blog that will show you How to Lose Weight with a cool Quick Weight Loss guide...
    Also enjoy some of my favorite Funny pictures and photos that will make you smile :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7992128].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author danielph
    Use different web 2.0 and link them to other web 2.0 and make a strong links between them!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7992619].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    If you spam your web2.0 like crazy with poor back links and you link to your money site from there then I do think your site can get hit cause of that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7993564].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author UtahHomesToGo
    All very good info. Thank you! Got my mind working on some ideas.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7993671].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author howto
    Can You Use BlogSpot As Web 2.0?
    Blogspot IS a web 2.0...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7993721].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    If it's an awesome coupon then it definitely might get shared so poor example :
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994250].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Slin
    Yeah I'm not saying dropbeverything and go blogspot, but I'm saying it is viable and can rank. I have one blogspot ranked for 3 bug keywords that brings in some good money, usually I use blogspot to test out Seo techniques.

    Better to have your own site, but if you're getting started or testing, why not use blogspot??
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994978].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Make Money Ninja
    Yes, blogspot is THE BEST web 2.0.

    Don't you see them spammed to death and ranking for everything?
    Signature

    The Ultimate Guide To Link Building

    Get More Links - Generate More Traffic - Make More Money!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7995246].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Demetrius
    It has become a very good practice to build some good quality web 2.0 sites and link back to the money sites. Then build a lot of backlinks in bulk pointing towards those properties. This method is working for a lot of people.

    Yes, personally I like blogger.com as a web 2.0 properties resource and good place to get high quality backlinks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7995365].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Hansons
    Blogspot is a web 2.0 property, and it can be used for link building but using only blogspot.com wouldn't help as IP address is also counted if you are building links to your site.
    Signature

    Is your website Hacked? Try -> www.sitebeak.com
    Is Google Analytics installed Properly? Test -> www.GAtective.com
    Impersonal Google search? Check -> www.impersonal.me

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7995735].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smodha
    Blogspot is a Web 2.0 site. There are several more here. (not affiliate link).
    Signature
    I Sell What People Want. The Money Is A Bonus..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7997732].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WebTheorem
      Originally Posted by smodha View Post

      Blogspot is a Web 2.0 site. There are several more here. (not affiliate link).
      Nice list. Now it's using that information some how.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8159395].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author nik0
        Banned
        I think I'm going to launch a new service with wiki's / article directories / social bookmarks / forum profile links / article directories (did I mention that yet?) and other links as while reading through this section there seems to be a huge demand for it. :rolleyes:

        Bunch of hopeless people.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8159446].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author himanuzo
    I heard that someone successfully uses hundreds of blogspots as backlining for grabbing top spot at Google for few days. This is short term strategy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8161111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seekdefo
    Yep you can pass page rank to your money site with blogspot blogs. It is not true that they do not get page rank with backlinking, you have heard advice from in experienced seo's
    Signature

    Brevity is the soul of wit

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8161632].message }}

Trending Topics