What Should my Style of Writing be to Convert?

25 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I have a health-related website and I an adsense block in my sidebar (throughout the whole website) and two other blocks in my posts/pages only. I'm also adding one or two Amazon links per post/page.

I recently had some traffic (reached about 10 uniques/day lol ) and most of the traffic has 100% bounce rate, and I'm sure that this is because of my content. So I thought I should read something about this matter on Google.

Some tips say that I should write as if I was talking to a friend, and some other tips say that I should write more formally.

Personally, I would go for the friendly-talk straight away, but I'm not sure whether this would be the best way to make people stay on my website, and eventually follow the affiliate links.

P.S. Could the fact that the thumbnails of some of my posts are product images, leading to the product page on Amazon? I know that when people see stuff like that they think that I'm only here for the money and leave the website immediately.
#convert #style #writing
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    No offense, but If the content is long & drawn out, not interesting, or doesn't match the reason traffic clicked an external link to get to your page, the traffic will probably bail. Usually you only have a few seconds to impress the traffic enough to keep them on the site & viewing additional internal pages.

    Look at your own web pages from your traffics point of view, does the web page deliver what the traffic wants/needs?
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7992845].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Backlinko
    Use this: A 50-Point Checklist For Creating The Ultimate Landing Page | Unbounce.

    It will show you almost every mistake that you're probably making.
    Signature
    Find Awesome Keywords...Without ANY Tools
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7992889].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author yukon
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Backlinko View Post

      Use this: A 50-Point Checklist For Creating The Ultimate Landing Page | Unbounce.

      It will show you almost every mistake that you're probably making.
      Thanks for the link.

      Check out the example page, they have a lot of good landing page examples. I have a project I've been wanting to do & those examples are a good reference.
      Signature
      Hi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7993102].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NoMoreWords
    The problem is that I get very little traffic, and even that little is very pretentious. I'm targeting people in the US and I am getting some traffic from there, but the problem is that 99% of the people have analytics stats like Visited pages: 1; time on site: 00:00:00.

    What are they, clicking on my site by mistake?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7993807].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manishak
    I love the link sent by Backlinko! It sort of summarizes everything you should do before posting your landing page. Even if you follow 70% of that list, you will be able to generate awesome content. However, this is not a standard parameter for judging other types of content like blog posts, newsletters, informational articles etc. Still most of the points are relevant...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994039].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NoMoreWords
      Originally Posted by manishak View Post

      I love the link sent by Backlinko! It sort of summarizes everything you should do before posting your landing page. Even if you follow 70% of that list, you will be able to generate awesome content. However, this is not a standard parameter for judging other types of content like blog posts, newsletters, informational articles etc. Still most of the points are relevant...
      Umm, many of the people land on my homepage (direct and search traffic mostly, rarely referral) and they see a list of my latest posts. Is this why they leave?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994092].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
        Originally Posted by NoMoreWords View Post

        Umm, many of the people land on my homepage (direct and search traffic mostly, rarely referral) and they see a list of my latest posts. Is this why they leave?
        Change your first line to this:

        "Hey, you. Thinking of hitting your back button and 'bouncing' right now? WELL DON'T DO IT! If you do, you'll miss out on the web's number one resource on this subject. If you leave early, your friends will be right to call you a 'loser' like they always do."

        Try it for a week and see what happens.
        Signature
        Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994120].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author NoMoreWords
          Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

          Change your first line to this:

          "Hey, you. Thinking of hitting your back button and 'bouncing' right now? WELL DON'T DO IT! If you do, you'll miss out on the web's number one resource on this subject. If you leave early, your friends will be right to call you a 'loser' like they always do."

          Try it for a week and see what happens.
          Sounds impudently, but it's worth a shot. Can't be worse than 100%BR and 0000 visit time

          P.S. When I build links, I don't build solely to the homepage. I often build to other pages as well. Of course, they don't get much traffic, but they point directly to an article. Does the article/post page have to start with a call to action, or leave it as is?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994129].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
            Originally Posted by NoMoreWords View Post

            Sounds impudently, but it's worth a shot. Can't be worse than 100%BR and 0000 visit time
            You can word it however you like, but you get the idea.

            Just try and make the first sentence or paragraph really capture your attention.

            I have the same problem on some pages and I've been experimenting with getting them to stay longer.

            To me it means Google has probably 'screwed up' the search slightly. Still, we have to try and conserve whatever traffic we get.
            Signature
            Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994134].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author NoMoreWords
              Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

              You can word it however you like, but you get the idea.

              Just try and make the first sentence or paragraph really capture your attention.

              I have the same problem on some pages and I've been experimenting with getting them to stay longer.

              To me it means Google has probably 'screwed up' the search slightly. Still, we have to try and conserve whatever traffic we get.
              I've always been told that my homepage should be with the latest posts. Does this mean that the strategy is wrong, or when my homepage is latest posts I have to link build only for posts?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994137].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author PerformanceMan
                Originally Posted by NoMoreWords View Post

                I've always been told that my homepage should be with the latest posts. Does this mean that the strategy is wrong, or when my homepage is latest posts I have to link build only for posts?
                That's how most blogs are set up, so it should be okay?

                The people who are landing on your page...where are they coming from? Are they arriving their from search?
                Signature
                Free Special Report on Mindset - Level Up with Positive Thinking
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994143].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author NoMoreWords
                  Originally Posted by PerformanceMan View Post

                  That's how most blogs are set up, so it should be okay?

                  The people who are landing on your page...where are they coming from? Are they arriving their from search?
                  The largest part is from direct (counts google+ links as direct somehow) then 10% from search and some other mere per cents for referral. I most usually link to my homepage, which is the latest posts.

                  About 80% of the visits to my site are to my homepage. Another 10-15% are to a WP page with a few charts on it. The rest is to the other 5-6 posts in my blog (I'm not trying to build a blog, but rather an authority website with lots of posts, rather than just writing 5 and letting it go on autopilot.)
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994160].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Backlinko
        Originally Posted by NoMoreWords View Post

        Umm, many of the people land on my homepage (direct and search traffic mostly, rarely referral) and they see a list of my latest posts. Is this why they leave?
        Did you do the checklist from unbounce?

        There are a lot of reasons why people bounce.

        From the sites I've seen people tend to share here on WarriorForum, the #1 problem warriors have is their site design.

        Remember: content matters but design is actually more important.

        If you're rocking a free Wordpress theme on an unbranded site you're going to have a lot of trouble a) driving traffic and b) converting this traffic.
        Signature
        Find Awesome Keywords...Without ANY Tools
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994206].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author NoMoreWords
          Originally Posted by Backlinko View Post

          Did you do the checklist from unbounce?

          There are a lot of reasons why people bounce.

          From the sites I've seen people tend to share here on WarriorForum, the #1 problem warriors have is their site design.

          Remember: content matters but design is actually more important.

          If you're rocking a free Wordpress theme on an unbranded site you're going to have a lot of trouble a) driving traffic and b) converting this traffic.
          Well yea, I don't currently have the money to buy a premium wordpress theme, but I don't think that the free one I'm using currently is not so bad (not so good also) WordPress › Benny « Free WordPress Themes

          Is it bad or is it horrible

          And about the checklist, does it mean that my homepage will have to be a static page rather than latest posts?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994299].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Backlinko
            Originally Posted by NoMoreWords View Post

            Well yea, I don't currently have the money to buy a premium wordpress theme, but I don't think that the free one I'm using currently is not so bad (not so good also) WordPress › Benny « Free WordPress Themes
            Then you need to get the money. If you're really serious about conversions, you need to at least pay someone to customize your design.

            Writing style matters for conversions...but it only works with a winning design.

            Unfortunately, there's no way around that.
            Signature
            Find Awesome Keywords...Without ANY Tools
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994319].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author NoMoreWords
              Originally Posted by Backlinko View Post

              Then you need to get the money. If you're really serious about conversions, you need to at least pay someone to customize your design.

              Writing style matters for conversions...but it only works with a winning design.

              Unfortunately, there's no way around that.
              Yeah, I understand.

              Btw I have a coding background, but I'm not really artistic or anything. Or I would have simply created a custom theme for myself, or even sell themes.

              Anyway I'm currently looking at a neat theme - WordPress › impulse « Free WordPress Themes What do you think about it, is it better?
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994321].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author cpoalmighty
                Originally Posted by NoMoreWords View Post

                Well, I'm in the health niche (diabetes) and I'm wondering whether I should write formal and scientifically, or more friendly (like "you should do so and so")
                I don't know which sounds better to this type of audience.
                Formal and Scientifically would be ideal especially if you mention issues directly related to what diabetics experience. For example, diabetics would automatically relate to your website when you mention things such as insulin and blood testing for sugar levels. They may not feel the same way if you mention going for chemotherapy or something else far fetched from their actual illness

                Originally Posted by NoMoreWords View Post

                Yeah, I understand.

                Btw I have a coding background, but I'm not really artistic or anything. Or I would have simply created a custom theme for myself, or even sell themes.

                Anyway I'm currently looking at a neat theme - WordPress › impulse « Free WordPress Themes What do you think about it, is it better?
                You should save to pay for a design which will compliment what you will want to portray. Free is for the general public which is not always best when targeting niches
                Signature
                Host Ultimo LLC
                Home Page | Get A Website Quote | Direct Link to our Trial SSD Hosting. Instant setup
                We host, design and develop XHTML5/CSS3 {PHP} codeigniter for Wordpress | Ubersmith | WHMCS

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994348].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author NoMoreWords
                  Originally Posted by cpoalmighty View Post

                  Formal and Scientifically would be ideal especially if you mention issues directly related to what diabetics experience. For example, diabetics would automatically relate to your website when you mention things such as insulin and blood testing for sugar levels. They may not feel the same way if you mention going for chemotherapy or something else far fetched from their actual illness
                  Let's say that I have an article about foods which lower blood sugar and help cope with diabetes. When I write the articles I should write like

                  "[some food] helps lower glucose levels due to the active agent..."
                  rather than

                  "You should eat [some food] because it's the active agent that will lower your blood sugar" ?
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994362].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author cpoalmighty
                    Originally Posted by NoMoreWords View Post

                    Let's say that I have an article about foods which lower blood sugar and help cope with diabetes. When I write the articles I should write like

                    "[some food] helps lower glucose levels due to the active agent..."
                    rather than

                    "You should eat [some food] because it's the active agent that will lower your blood sugar" ?
                    The first one sounds more interesting to me and besides that will is not grammatically correct in that sentence. It's supposed to be which will . You should hire a content writer to construct your articles for you by giving them the overall viewpoint you would like achieved. You can also hire them to review your articles and make improvements.
                    Signature
                    Host Ultimo LLC
                    Home Page | Get A Website Quote | Direct Link to our Trial SSD Hosting. Instant setup
                    We host, design and develop XHTML5/CSS3 {PHP} codeigniter for Wordpress | Ubersmith | WHMCS

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994407].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author NoMoreWords
                      Originally Posted by cpoalmighty View Post

                      The first one sounds more interesting to me and besides that will is not grammatically correct in that sentence. It's supposed to be which will . You should hire a content writer to construct your articles for you by giving them the overall viewpoint you would like achieved. You can also hire them to review your articles and make improvements.
                      that and which are interchangeable in this case
                      That is for information that can't be omitted (no comma)
                      which is for extra info (with comma before it)
                      Extra reference: That and Which: Interchangeable or Not? : : Everything English

                      Besides that, I'm a writer myself, would you believe it, and I also use Grammarly to check my articles. I know that it's not as great as it's said it is, but it still helps.
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994484].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manishak
    IMO if most of your traffic lands on your home page, which points out to other posts, I'm sure people will leave without checking. Like Yukon has already pointed out "Usually you only have a few seconds to impress the traffic enough to keep them on the site & viewing additional internal pages." This is because unlike Internet Marketers or website owners, who will dig out something that is of interest to them and may stay on your site, other people wouldn't bother to do so. So yes, they will leave your page - a visit gone wasted...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994119].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author cpoalmighty
    Writing style would solely be dependent on the type of traffic you are trying to convert. Nothing more nothing less. If you are going after more of the business class then you will certainly be required to have a more formal way of writing. If you are interested within the teen markets then informal or radical speech would be welcomed. First identify your target audience and then write to suit them

    I also must agree that design and functionality play an important aspect of traffic being converted. You can have exceptional content with a poor website design which will be similar to having a great invention at the wrong time! All key aspects must be in sync. Website design, content, analytics to monitor the traffic, supply and demand factors (pure economics here) among others
    Signature
    Host Ultimo LLC
    Home Page | Get A Website Quote | Direct Link to our Trial SSD Hosting. Instant setup
    We host, design and develop XHTML5/CSS3 {PHP} codeigniter for Wordpress | Ubersmith | WHMCS

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994302].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NoMoreWords
      Originally Posted by cpoalmighty View Post

      Writing style would solely be dependent on the type of traffic you are trying to convert. Nothing more nothing less. If you are going after more of the business class then you will certainly be required to have a more formal way of writing. If you are interested within the teen markets then informal or radical speech would be welcomed. First identify your target audience and then write to suit them

      I also must agree that design and functionality play an important aspect of traffic being converted. You can have exceptional content with a poor website design which will be similar to having a great invention at the wrong time! All key aspects must be in sync. Website design, content, analytics to monitor the traffic, supply and demand factors (pure economics here) among others
      Well, I'm in the health niche (diabetes) and I'm wondering whether I should write formal and scientifically, or more friendly (like "you should do so and so")
      I don't know which sounds better to this type of audience.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7994313].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by NoMoreWords View Post

        Well, I'm in the health niche (diabetes) and I'm wondering whether I should write formal and scientifically, or more friendly (like "you should do so and so")
        I don't know which sounds better to this type of audience.
        I have a relative that has diabetes, the hardest thing to change was his diet.

        The best thing he found was an insulin shot that holds a lot of doses, where all he has to do is turn a dial, which is very easy to use but it took him about a year before he even new it existed.

        There's two real life insider tips about diabetes.

        My advice as always, go to niche forums & find the traffic, then work on SEO at the same time, that gives you a safety net for traffic (two traffic sources). Assumes your site has real content, not content made for only SEO.
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7995138].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Make Money Ninja
    To sell/convert, your style should be conversational. If you can write how you speak, you can sell online.

    I would check out the copywriting forum, or maybe pick up a book on Amazon.

    Unlike other forms of writing, writing to sell is actually quite easy. You just need to be empathetic towards your markets needs and emphasize how whatever you are selling will benefit them.

    Quick 10 second tip. YOU is the most powerful word in copywriting
    Signature

    The Ultimate Guide To Link Building

    Get More Links - Generate More Traffic - Make More Money!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7995241].message }}

Trending Topics