Buying relevant high PR domain and pointing to site

19 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi all,

I recently watched an interview that Pat Flynn did with Alex Becker of Source-wave.com and Alex was describing that when he has a budget he will buys some high PR expired domains, build them with content relevant to his money site and point them back.

On watching the video from Matt Cutts today about Penguin 2.0 would this still be a good idea as I got the impression that they would know that the domain had expired and the process Alex describes would soon be possibly unusable?

Your thoughts appreciated before I experiment with this route.
#buying #domain #high #pointing #relevant #site
  • Profile picture of the author DPM70
    This does work now. There is some speculation that Google could be about to hit this technique in some way. How they would do this is speculation at this point. I don't see how it would be that difficult to devalue all links pointing at a dropped domain. Of course - you would then be looking to buy domains before they were deindexed or dropped, which many do currently anyway.
    Signature
    I don't build in order to have clients. I have clients in order to build. - Ayn Rand
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8079248].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bussix
    Hi Kittdigital,

    That interview sparked a lot of controversy between white- and blackhat linkbuilding, yet again.

    It really works though, and I think it's understandable that Google wants to go after paid links. However, in my opinion, I don't think it's efficient enough for them to go after the small guy with the small private network.

    Now if you're going to go buying links from bigger networks such as SAPE, then things might look ugly. I read that today they slapped another such a network, don't know which one though.

    But Penguin 2.0 is pure speculation at this point.

    I can tell you from firsthand experience that having your own high PR can work wonders If you want to experiment and go this route, add me on skype! I know Becker and his stuff.

    Cheers
    Pat
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8079351].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Gram
    That was actually an interesting post to read the comments on lol. You've got so many people who claim to be "white hatters" on there and they either don't realize the fact (or their blind to it) that Pat Flynn basically created his successful Security Guard site using primarily what most most people consider blackhat tactics.

    In addition, he still makes lots of money from affiliate offers on so called "blackhat" stuff, yet some of his fans act like anything but whitehat is pure evil, except if Pat does it I guess lol.

    Pat's a great guy and there is nothing wrong with what he has done at all but some of the commenters...wow.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8079372].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      You guys got a link? Would love to see it. Frankly I am surprised Becker is just thinking about this.

      I guess this is where I should say like everyone into a certain kind of link building.

      "Google will never....."

      But can't do that. I know it will not be retroactive when they move against aged domains because too many domains are reused now by perfectly legit companies after being dropped by another owner.

      But will they find a way of limiting links if you wait and buy them in the near future? when the domain falls out the index.

      Probably.

      He and everyone thinkng about building a network better get off their rumps and do it now because like everything else marketers use Google is going to target it in the future and theres a good chance if you wait until they set something in place the domains you buy then will not be worth much.

      Of course that won't destroy the whole thing. It will then move more to finding sites that have been abandoned and contacting the owners before they even reach the renewal date.

      The whole internet is a network so theres no way to completely destroy it just like there is no way for Google to detect that I sent you a $50 bill to write a good article on your good real blog and refer to my site in it.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8079900].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bussix
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        You guys got a link? Would love to see it. Frankly I am surprised Becker is just thinking about this.

        I guess this is where I should say like everyone into a certain kind of link building.

        "Google will never....."

        But can't do that. I know it will not be retroactive when they move against aged domains because too many domains are reused now by perfectly legit companies after being dropped by another owner.

        But will they find a way of limiting links if you wait and buy them in the near future? when the domain falls out the index.

        Probably.

        He and everyone thinkng about building a network better get off their rumps and do it now because like everything else marketers use Google is going to target it in the future and theres a good chance if you wait until they set something in place the domains you buy then will not be worth much.

        Of course that won't destroy the whole thing. It will then move more to finding sites that have been abandoned and contacting the owners before they even reach the renewal date.

        The whole internet is a network so theres no way to completely destroy it just like there is no way for Google to detect that I sent you a $50 bill to write a good article on your good real blog and refer to my site in it.
        Here's the link:
        Niche Site Duel 2.0 (pre-launch) – What’s Working in SEO Right Now with Alex Becker
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8080941].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
          Thanks man. Decent interview. Few things are off but worth the watch
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8081039].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Kittdigital
            Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

            Thanks man. Decent interview. Few things are off but worth the watch
            Which parts did you consider to be off?
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8082300].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
              Originally Posted by Kittdigital View Post

              Which parts did you consider to be off?
              Concentrating on buying at Godaddy, suggesting DP as a good place (might have that wrong??) crappy tool suggested (powershot) and spun content.
              Signature

              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8082314].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author discustipated
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        You guys got a link? Would love to see it. Frankly I am surprised Becker is just thinking about this.

        I guess this is where I should say like everyone into a certain kind of link building.

        "Google will never....."

        But can't do that. I know it will not be retroactive when they move against aged domains because too many domains are reused now by perfectly legit companies after being dropped by another owner.

        But will they find a way of limiting links if you wait and buy them in the near future? when the domain falls out the index.

        Probably.

        He and everyone thinkng about building a network better get off their rumps and do it now because like everything else marketers use Google is going to target it in the future and theres a good chance if you wait until they set something in place the domains you buy then will not be worth much.

        Of course that won't destroy the whole thing. It will then move more to finding sites that have been abandoned and contacting the owners before they even reach the renewal date.

        The whole internet is a network so theres no way to completely destroy it just like there is no way for Google to detect that I sent you a $50 bill to write a good article on your good real blog and refer to my site in it.
        Another good idea would be to purchase websites that aren't earning (that have PR) off of Flippa and such sites.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8081072].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author danparks
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        He and everyone thinkng about building a network better get off their rumps and do it now because like everything else marketers use Google is going to target it in the future and theres a good chance if you wait until they set something in place the domains you buy then will not be worth much.
        Yes to this.

        If you're the type of person who doesn't have an interest in building a private PR network, fine. But if you do have an interest in it, then I would agree that you really should get some domains now. Google hasn't updated the public PR that's displayed in their toolbar for quite awhile now. What if they don't, ever? What if they decide to stop displaying PR to the public? It's their system, it's their call, if they want to stop, they can. If they do stop, it's going to make building a private network a lot more difficult. There's guesswork involved in it now, if no PR is displayed then there's going to be a *huge* amount of guesswork involved.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8201706].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
          Originally Posted by danparks View Post

          There's guesswork involved in it now, if no PR is displayed then there's going to be a *huge* amount of guesswork involved.
          Its a guess work issue right now because the data is already well over 6 months old. I have a Pr3 I haven't done anything with because its had no links since september last year (just a throw in from a bulk purchase). Its closing in on a year and it is still a PR3 in the toolbar.

          Now I know its not accurate because it has no links but if it did and the link metrics were that wrong -yeah I'd probably end up buying domain that doesn't live up to the PR. Moz is the only metric up to date but they have some strange ways of giving out their number that don't always add up.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8201916].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author TimD
            Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

            Moz is the only metric up to date but they have some strange ways of giving out their number that don't always add up.
            Mike, what do you think of majesticseo's flow metrics - citation and trust? They say it is updated almost to the day... and those are Majestic's stats, not Google's. So you have to wonder what Google is going off of.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8226188].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author highprweb
              It's impossible and really difficult to devalue all links pointing at a dropped domain. Of course - you would then be looking to buy domains before they were deindexed or dropped, which many do currently buying a high pr domains.
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8257546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author customs
    Just watched a free report video promoting a new Alex Becker's SEO Omega course and completely disappointed.

    He shows us a site watchthingsonline.com that ranks for a few keywords like "bleach episode guide".

    He mentioned that he uses a special siloed site structure, bla-bla-bla and buys old domains filling them with relevant content.

    Hogwash.

    A quick check with ahrefs shows that he links from various domains (blogroll-like style),
    like this one: _www.mzuhdijasser.com (way down in the right column).

    And his domain has got about 1,900 such links according to ahrefs!

    My god, I can rank almost anything with this tactic myself. No secret sauce needed.

    But what's about Alex Becker? Teach what you preach? No?
    Signature
    iOS and Flutter developer. Online marketer, with more than $52+ million sales for partners.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8194872].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ScrooG
      Originally Posted by customs View Post

      Just watched a free report video promoting a new Alex Becker's SEO Omega course and completely disappointed.

      He shows us a site watchthingsonline.com that ranks for a few keywords like "bleach episode guide".

      He mentioned that he uses a special siloed site structure, bla-bla-bla and buys old domains filling them with relevant content.

      Hogwash.

      A quick check with ahrefs shows that he links from various domains (blogroll-like style),
      like this one: _www.mzuhdijasser.com (way down in the right column).

      And his domain has got about 1,900 such links according to ahrefs!

      My god, I can rank almost anything with this tactic myself. No secret sauce needed.

      But what's about Alex Becker? Teach what you preach? No?
      A friend of mine did some digging re SEO Omega and sent me this info:

      Here are 3 points that were investigated:

      #1 ranking for "seo outsourcing". A look at the backlinks shows a number of links on high page rank pages. Just look at the page rank and sidebars of these sites:

      PR 6 Dynamist Blog
      PR 6 The Future of Capitalism
      PR 5 Smartertimes.com

      Are these purchased links or are they part of the "strategy" - buying high pr domains and putting links on them? If so, big deal - this is no secret at all - get yourself on high pr links, linking back to your site and you'll get google juice from it. Duh.

      #2: ranking #1 for "checkweigher system".The screenshot shows the position for "checkweigher system" but the yellow highlighted text next to the screenshot says they ranked their client #1 for the phrase "weighchecker". A google check shows that the site is ranking towards the bottom of the second page for "weighchecker", not on the first Also, the Google Keyword Tool shows that the phrase for which they are #1 - "checkweigher system" gets less than 10 exact global searches a month. That's not really an astounding SEO claim.
      (I know Becker has used this technique before in his sales copy - saying he ranked really well for a keyword but when I checked the keyword it had very few monthly searches.)

      #3 - ranking #1 for "kamasutra pdf". Yes they rank #1 for that phrase (and that assumes that really is a site they worked on) but that's not a buying keyword, in my opinion, and the SEO competition for that keyword is really low. Checking the backlinks shows, again, that they're using a high page rank blog network for link juice. See the links to the site (and to the checkweigh site, too) on these pages:

      AYSTSG Conveyor System, Checkweigher, and Factory Inspection
      Alan Winters : Conveyor/Manufacturing Expert
      HUA Engineering and Manufacturing blog

      What gets me about SEO OMEGA is that these keywords that he touts ranking for are not good keywords. I can probably rank #1 for something like "Doorknob Special" with about ANY SEO technique - or NO technique at all - but so what?

      Here's what this reinforces anew to me:

      People who send you recommendations via their list - even some really good people - do not take the time to really investigate the cr*p they are pushing. They go by "someone I trust told me it was good" and the % of commission and not much else. Maybe they really believe it is a good training/software or whatever. But in the end they are just trying to sell you something they really have no working knowledge of, for profit.
      Signature

      "Live and let live".

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8201620].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Sumon2k7
        Originally Posted by ScrooG View Post

        A friend of mine did some digging re SEO Omega and sent me this info:

        Here are 3 points that were investigated:

        #1 ranking for "seo outsourcing". A look at the backlinks shows a number of links on high page rank pages. Just look at the page rank and sidebars of these sites:

        PR 6 Dynamist Blog
        PR 6 The Future of Capitalism
        PR 5 Smartertimes.com

        Are these purchased links or are they part of the "strategy" - buying high pr domains and putting links on them? If so, big deal - this is no secret at all - get yourself on high pr links, linking back to your site and you'll get google juice from it. Duh.

        #2: ranking #1 for "checkweigher system".The screenshot shows the position for "checkweigher system" but the yellow highlighted text next to the screenshot says they ranked their client #1 for the phrase "weighchecker". A google check shows that the site is ranking towards the bottom of the second page for "weighchecker", not on the first Also, the Google Keyword Tool shows that the phrase for which they are #1 - "checkweigher system" gets less than 10 exact global searches a month. That's not really an astounding SEO claim.
        (I know Becker has used this technique before in his sales copy - saying he ranked really well for a keyword but when I checked the keyword it had very few monthly searches.)

        #3 - ranking #1 for "kamasutra pdf". Yes they rank #1 for that phrase (and that assumes that really is a site they worked on) but that's not a buying keyword, in my opinion, and the SEO competition for that keyword is really low. Checking the backlinks shows, again, that they're using a high page rank blog network for link juice. See the links to the site (and to the checkweigh site, too) on these pages:

        AYSTSG Conveyor System, Checkweigher, and Factory Inspection
        Alan Winters : Conveyor/Manufacturing Expert
        HUA Engineering and Manufacturing blog

        What gets me about SEO OMEGA is that these keywords that he touts ranking for are not good keywords. I can probably rank #1 for something like "Doorknob Special" with about ANY SEO technique - or NO technique at all - but so what?

        Here's what this reinforces anew to me:

        People who send you recommendations via their list - even some really good people - do not take the time to really investigate the cr*p they are pushing. They go by "someone I trust told me it was good" and the % of commission and not much else. Maybe they really believe it is a good training/software or whatever. But in the end they are just trying to sell you something they really have no working knowledge of, for profit.
        Completely Agree with you! I was doing the same hunt for Becker's stuff and found these loopholes. I was quite surprised to get pomo emails of this course from marketers whom I valued most ! All these stuffs in this course are already shared on his blog yet I don't see any point of launching that course
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8201848].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nik0
    Banned
    Many people like to talk about secret sauce in packages, I used to do it myself almost a year ago and that secret sauce was in fact a "PAD submission", you use software to submit to software sharing sites and the thing that you share is a puzzle that you can compile into an .exe with some software, then you submit it with other software, and you host the PAD file (which is in fact an XML with some basic info about the software like release date) at your web hosting.

    So it's a little bit of a complicated process that at the time not too many people were aware of or too lazy to execute it but above all, it was extremely effective to rank EMD type of sites. After the EMD update the method became pretty much dead. Not cause the links got less effective, not at all, but because the submission process didn't allow for any anchor text diversity. You had the main kw like 90% of the time and naturally the rest at a 10% rate. Sure it's possible to do 20 seperate submissions to 25 sites each with 20 different keywords but that's very time consuming and not too worth it.

    Anyway, cause it worked so well I didn't feel like sharing it so that other link sellers could copy the idea and thus I called it "secret sauce", and it also sounds a bit appealing of course.

    Anyway, nothing secret about high PR links indeed.

    And not too many secrets about link building in general either. There are just a few things that are more effective then others but for the rest it all comes down to the same thing, links from juicy pages or that at least pass juicey pages in the lifetime span of a link. That's why web2.0's on theirselves are so incredibly weak.

    Back to the point, I am waiting for the moment that Google will reset the link value from expiring and dropped domains, pretty sure it will happen and then we will have to buy complete websites before they expire.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8201807].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    That Pat is the same guy that was ranking pages then doing a redirect directly to Amazon.

    Now the other guy is spinning junk articles & dealing with DP.

    Both short term.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8201866].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tbtb123
    There won't be a replacement as accurate as PR, DA/PA/CF/TF etc.. all pretty much crappy misleading parameters which based on very partial information and very easy to get manipulated.
    PR, with all its drawbacks (especially the faking PR bug) is a Google parameter and it reflects quality of backlinks the best way.
    Signature
    » Number 1 Source of High Quality SEO Domains! «
    100% Spam Free Domains! Without Manipulations! With Natural High PR Backlinks! Ideal For PBNs!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8294829].message }}

Trending Topics