I just got paid $300 to remove some content.. LOLWAT?

25 replies
  • SEO
  • |
A while back, I registered a PR5 .CA domain and used archive.org to post the old content. I used it as a PBN site within my network.

Today, a chap contacted me asking me if I could remove the content, offering me $200 initially to remove the content. I refused, and told him to offer higher (at this point, I honestly thought it was a joke). He shot back with an offer for $300.

I accepted, and gave him payment details. Within 5-minutes, he had loaded $300 directly into my bank account. I promptly removed the homepage content and said thank you.

I've done many deals in my time, and I've worked for tons of affiliate programs, and have dozens of clients, but I've never once been paid to remove content. How bizarre!
#$300 #content #lolwat #paid #remove
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Ellenwood
    What was that content so I can put it on one of my sites...just kidding. A nice way to "earn" some unexpected money!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8131116].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GeekSlash
    Maybe privacy reasons if he was the original domain owner who let it drop?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8132987].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Icematikx
      Originally Posted by GeekSlash View Post

      Maybe privacy reasons if he was the original domain owner who let it drop?
      I believe his client is a University, who had published the content, and wanted to republish it.
      Signature

      Just got back from a #BrightonSEO. I was given room 404 in the hotel I stayed at. Couldn’t find it anywhere!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8133124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Blakos
    Well done.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8133204].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Brian Lett
    I am not saying that you would ever do this, but what is keeping you from re-posting the same content on website?

    Did he have you sign an agreement to preclude you from doing just this?

    Very bizarre indeed. Congratulations though
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8133910].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by Blake Michelutti View Post

      Well done.
      Originally Posted by Brian Lett View Post

      Very bizarre indeed. Congratulations though

      You are congratulating someone for ripping off content and getting paid by someone stupid enough to pay.

      Tell me what I am missing here.

      Originally Posted by Icematikx View Post

      I believe his client is a University, who had published the content, and wanted to republish it.

      even more unethical and immoral
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8133986].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Brian Lett
        Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

        You are congratulating someone for ripping off content and getting paid by someone stupid enough to pay.

        Tell me what I am missing here.
        My "congratulations" were in jest.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8133994].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author TheFBGuy
          Mike Anthony: Lighten up. :p

          Well done OP, invest that $300 wisely.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8134008].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
            Originally Posted by TheFBGuy View Post

            Mike Anthony: Lighten up. :p
            I'm light dude .

            just sayin.....The OP is a crook and anyone that congratulates him aint to far off either
            Signature

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8134031].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author TheFBGuy
              Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

              I'm light dude .

              just sayin.....The OP is a crook and anyone that congratulates him aint to far off either
              Yawn... lighted up. In the REAL world, everyone is a "crook".
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8134068].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                Originally Posted by TheFBGuy View Post

                Yawn... lighted up. In the REAL world, everyone is a "crook".
                Only in the world of a crook
                Signature

                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8134077].message }}
                • Profile picture of the author TheFBGuy
                  Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

                  Only in the world of a crook
                  Beneath all the smoke and mirrors, your banks, governments are crooks, a ton of "charity" organizations, etc are all a bunch of "crooks" in a disguise in case you didn't know. This is the REAL world in case you didn't know.
                  {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8134095].message }}
                  • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                    Originally Posted by TheFBGuy View Post

                    Beneath all the smoke and mirrors, your banks, governments are crooks, a ton of "charity" organizations, etc are all a bunch of "crooks" in a disguise in case you didn't know. This is the REAL world in case you didn't know.

                    and of course in your childish mentality because you can identify some crooked behaviour it means everyone is a crook. Sorry FB the rest of us can see you are just babbling an excuse for the immoral, unethical crooked way you think
                    Signature

                    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8134101].message }}
                    • Profile picture of the author TheFBGuy
                      Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

                      and of course in your childish mentality because you can identify some crooked behaviour it means everyone is a crook. Sorry FB the rest of us can see you are just babbling an an excuse for the immoral, unethical crooked way you think
                      Nothing childish here at all Mike, just opening your eyes to a new perspective... that's all.

                      Take the WSO section for example, people stealing each other's material and re-selling it as their own. Is that moral to you? That place is filled with crooks. THERE IS NOTHING NEW IN THAT SECTION!
                      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8134115].message }}
                      • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                        Originally Posted by TheFBGuy View Post

                        Nothing childish here at all Mike, just opening your eyes to a new perspective... that's all.
                        you can't open a baby eyes to see its own lashes. The excuse that everyone is doing it is the most cherished excuse of a crook. The rational that because there are rip off WSOs its okayt to steal somebody's content is an immature rationalization.
                        Signature

                        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8134119].message }}
                        • Profile picture of the author TheFBGuy
                          Originally Posted by Mike Anthony View Post

                          you can't open a baby eyes to see its own lashes. The excuse that everyone is doing it is the most cherished excuse of a crook. The rational that because there are rip off WSOs its okayt to steal somebody's content is an immature rationalization.
                          Hahahaha, you are making me laugh Mike... I will leave with this. You need to shift your perspective, even slightly, and here is why:

                          EVERYTHING is about perspective. Just because something is not good to you, doesn't mean it's "bad". A crook is not a "bad person". He or she just has a different perspective... that's all.

                          The REAL world, whether online or offline is not all rainbows, sunshine and everyone dealing with one another "morally".

                          Another example: take a look at the BILLIONAIRES of this world such as Bill Gates, Carlos Slim and how they become so filthy rich, they didn't get there by always being "moral". They LIED, and CHEATED their way to the top!

                          But if your values say cheating is "not okay", then good on you sir, I commend you. I am certain Heaven awaits you!
                          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8134150].message }}
                          • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
                            Originally Posted by TheFBGuy View Post

                            A crook is not a "bad person". He or she just has a different perspective... that's all.
                            Yes. Of course. No one is a bad person. Pedophiles just have another sexual perspective on children Rapist figure the woman had it coming. Just another perspective. Thats all.

                            and you think you are the one laughing
                            Signature

                            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8134223].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
    Originally Posted by Icematikx View Post

    A while back, I registered a PR5 .CA domain and used archive.org to post the old content. I used it as a PBN site within my network.
    SO you sold content that did not belong to you? and you want to brag about being a crook on the forums for getting paid to remove content you should not have had on your site?

    I've done many deals in my time
    What deal? You had content from archive.org that wasn't yours. Its a deal when you have something to offer of your own
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8133976].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Some of you guys are ruthless douche bags.

    Exactly the reason I won't sell to IMers, always a few that will screw anyone over just to make a buck.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8134084].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      Some of you guys are ruthless douche bags.
      Good thing with these threads is they come out of the wood work in support so you can mark them and mark them well for future reference as being wholly unreliable in regard to anything they say.

      The other good thing is their own thought processes limit them so they can't get much further than selling fiverr gigs
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8134107].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nest28
    Wow I had no idea what this thread was about, it's getting harder to be here. BTW, everybody is not a crook, I believe there are more honest people in the world than crooks, if it wasn't we would all have stories about how we got scammed.
    Signature

    Somewhere watching Power.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8136952].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author patco
    That was really bad... Paying so much for something like this... I'm amazed... and confused...
    Signature

    A blog that will show you How to Lose Weight with a cool Quick Weight Loss guide...
    Also enjoy some of my favorite Funny pictures and photos that will make you smile :)

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8138157].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SusanHarrison
    If the content was public domain and a lot of American government /university websites do have public domain content he would be able to use it and sell it. If it was against copyright the person who paid him to take it off would not have paid him that money just demanded he take it down surely?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8138883].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mike Anthony
      Originally Posted by SusanHarrison View Post

      If the content was public domain and a lot of American government /university websites do have public domain content he would be able to use it and sell it. If it was against copyright the person who paid him to take it off would not have paid him that money just demanded he take it down surely?

      Nope not surely. Sometime companies realize that the cost of legal fees outstrips the money they would pay to have it removed. In other situation they want to save the time loss. In others the site stealing their content can be in a country that will not enforce copyright. Op took the content off of the wayback machine not some public domain spot.

      All that is a scrape of a sites content for archiving purposes.

      In fact if it were public domain the university would not buy it back. They would know it would not guarantee it would be unique to them.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8139845].message }}

Trending Topics